VinnyZag
03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
2: Dower & Pangos

But Shem for Defensive POY

Yep. All correct.

DixieZag
03-01-2014, 08:12 PM
IN the top 5? Or the whole thing?

Dower in the top 5, Pangos hurt so somewhere below that.

The LMU guard whose name escapes me right now should be on it - Hawes, Dower, they'll likely put Waldow on it. . . I'm talking top 5 here. No way does conferece put 2 out of 5 zags on it, not if they don't have to.

VinnyZag
03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
IN the top 5? Or the whole thing?

Dower in the top 5, Pangos hurt so somewhere below that.

The LMU guard whose name escapes me right now should be on it - Hawes, Dower, they'll likely put Waldow on it. . . I'm talking top 5 here. No way does conferece put 2 out of 5 zags on it, not if they don't have to.

Anthony Ireland. Also Dee.

Baseline
03-01-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't see how they could put Waldo on it, Shem has totally dominated him!

scott257
03-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Waldo isn't as good as the big kid from Portland.

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Is Pangos a shoe in? Seems like he has had a pretty tough season with the health issues.

exclusivelee
03-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Is Pangos a shoe in? Seems like he has had a pretty tough season with the health issues.

Basing it off him winning WCC player of the week 2 times plus nominated couple more times

Shem hasnt even been nominated for WCC player of the week one time this season

exclusivelee
03-01-2014, 08:29 PM

check the ESPN PER (player efficiency rating) stat

Plus Waldow has been nominated for WCC player of the week 7 times (2nd most)

Cush
03-01-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm probably overlooking someone, and certainly some of these are up for debate, but here's my best take on 1st, 2nd, 3rd team, plus individual awards:

1st team
Haws (BYU)
Ireland (LMU)
Dickerson (USF)
Dower (ZAGS)
Waldow (SMC)

2nd team
Pangos (ZAGS)
Dee (USD)
Lane (PEPP)
Collinsworth (BYU)
Nicholas (UP)

Runner up
Clarke (SCU)
Anderson (USD)
Davis (Pepp)
Pikins (USF)
Karnowski (Zags)

POY:
Haws (BYU)

Defensive POY:
Karnowski (ZAGS)

Freshman of the Year:
Brownridge (SCU)

COY:
Few (ZAGS)

CDC84
03-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Think Rex at USF will get coach of the year.

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Is it wrong to hate Rex?

DixieZag
03-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Is it wrong to hate Rex?

No.

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm probably overlooking someone, and certainly some of these are up for debate, but here's my best take on 1st, 2nd, 3rd team, plus individual awards:

1st team
Haws (BYU)
Ireland (LMU)
Dickerson (USF)
Dower (ZAGS)
Waldow (SMC)

2nd team
Pangos (ZAGS)
Dee (USD)
Lane (PEPP)
Collinsworth (BYU)
Nicholas (UP)

Runner up
Clarke (SCU)
Anderson (USD)
Davis (Pepp)
Pikins (USF)
Karnowski (Zags)

POY:
Haws (BYU)

Defensive POY:
Karnowski (ZAGS)

Freshman of the Year:
Brownridge (SCU)

COY:
Few (ZAGS)

no way holt from smc gets left out...

exclusivelee
03-02-2014, 07:36 AM

I think the Cody Doolin debacle should take Rex out of the running.

Treating a player like that and then getting COY would send a bad message

GoZags
03-02-2014, 08:46 AM
I think the Cody Doolin debacle should take Rex out of the running.

Treating a player like that and then getting COY would send a bad message

COY is voted by the Coaches. It'll be interesting to see how well Coach Walters is respected by his peers.

hondo
03-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Sam is POY IMO. Going into this season it looked very much like last night's game would be the toughest place and circumstance of the schedule for our Zags. Playing your senior loaded archrival at their place, on senior night and at the end of a very hard 4 game road run looked like disaster waiting. But Sam ( 7-11 and 10 rebs) and company step up and blew away the Gaels. So Sam was the best player in what should have been the toughest game for the best team in the league.
All season Sam has been the best player on the best team in league. Tyler is a fine player but look at how he preformed in tough circumstances (5-12 shooting in Spokane) and 7-15 vs Gonzaga in Provo. Sam in those 2 BYU vs GU match up shot 7-12 and 5-9. This year the best player on the best team is a senior who has paid his dues and has been there in the clutch. Sam Dower is WCC POY anyone else would be robbery.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
According to KenPom's #'s the top five players in the WCC are"

1 Sam Dower, Gonzaga
2 Brad Waldow, Saint Mary's
3 Tyler Haws, BYU
4 Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga
5 Przemek Karnowski, Gonzaga

Nevada Don
03-02-2014, 10:36 AM
no way holt from smc gets left out...

I agree with Holt but with a little subjectivity. PK will be interesting

Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2014, 10:59 AM

You gotta remember that COY is voted on by the coaches...

adoptedzag
03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
You gotta remember that COY is voted on by the coaches...

Doesn't matter how much of an ass Rex is, he's the CoY. Taking the dons to 3rd place after last season is a tremendous feat regardless of his tactics.

sittingon50
03-02-2014, 11:26 AM
There are not 2 - 5 man teams; there is one 10 man team.

There is not a Freshman of the year; there is a newcomer of the year.

seacatfan
03-02-2014, 11:27 AM

1st team
Haws (BYU)
Ireland (LMU)
Dickerson (USF)
Dower (ZAGS)
Waldow (SMC)

2nd team
Pangos (ZAGS)
Dee (USD)
Lane (PEPP)
Collinsworth (BYU)
Nicholas (UP)

Runner up
Clarke (SCU)
Anderson (USD)
Davis (Pepp)
Pikins (USF)
Karnowski (Zags)

POY:
Haws (BYU)

Defensive POY:
Karnowski (ZAGS)

Freshman of the Year:
Brownridge (SCU)

COY:
Few (ZAGS)

Maybe van der Mars instead of Nicholas from UP? Both are solid, but I've been more impressed with van der Mars from what I've seen. I haven't looked at their statistics for the season though.

jim77
03-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Sam is POY IMO. Going into this season it looked very much like last night's game would be the toughest place and circumstance of the schedule for our Zags. Playing your senior loaded archrival at their place, on senior night and at the end of a very hard 4 game road run looked like disaster waiting. But Sam ( 7-11 and 10 rebs) and company step up and blew away the Gaels. So Sam was the best player in what should have been the toughest game for the best team in the league.
All season Sam has been the best player on the best team in league. Tyler is a fine player but look at how he preformed in tough circumstances (5-12 shooting in Spokane) and 7-15 vs Gonzaga in Provo. Sam in those 2 BYU vs GU match up shot 7-12 and 5-9. This year the best player on the best team is a senior who has paid his dues and has been there in the clutch. Sam Dower is WCC POY anyone else would be robbery.

Agreed...Big Sam earned it.

Cush
03-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Agreed...Big Sam earned it.

I agree that Sam earned it, but I was just making my picks on how I assumed it would play out. I hope Sam gets it. I don't think anyone would argue against it. Well, scratch that, BYU fans would argue against it because the small gyms and inferior league play kept Haws' numbers and team wins down, but beyond that, I think both are deserving.

I overlooked Holt completely (I still had the last game in my mind, and he was such a no-show, I figured he must have graduated last year), but I think he should be in there over Clark (SCU). I'd still call Brownridge the newcomer of the year. Did they change that somewhat recently? I recall a time that they had freshman of the year.

john montana
03-02-2014, 12:55 PM
I know waldow will make 1st team ahead of PK due to stats...but PK left little doubt who is the better overall player in two games. Total domination.

sittingon50
03-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I agree that Sam earned it, but I was just making my picks on how I assumed it would play out. I hope Sam gets it. I don't think anyone would argue against it. Well, scratch that, BYU fans would argue against it because the small gyms and inferior league play kept Haws' numbers and team wins down, but beyond that, I think both are deserving.

I overlooked Holt completely (I still had the last game in my mind, and he was such a no-show, I figured he must have graduated last year), but I think he should be in there over Clark (SCU). I'd still call Brownridge the newcomer of the year. Did they change that somewhat recently? I recall a time that they had freshman of the year.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/west/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/MBB13-14records.pdf

They did use to have a Freshman of the year. Looking at the list, I think JP may have been the 1st "Newcomer", but someone may correct me.

eastsideballer
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Haws
Pangos
Dee
Brownridge
Ireland
Dower
Nicholas
Dickerson
VanDerMars
Holt

MJ777
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Haws
Pangos
Dee
Brownridge
Ireland
Dower
Nicholas
Dickerson
VanDerMars
Holt

Where's Waldow? Sorry, couldn't resist.

kyle dixon
03-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Should be in consideration for defensive player of the year. ask Holt, Haws and Dee.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Dower and Pangos from GU should be 1st team, but if one is going to drop off it will be Pangos.

Definite 1st team would be Haws.

For me the remaining two or three are a toss up between:

Dee, Ireland, Van der Mars and Holt.

Sitting right there close behind them
Karnowski
Dickerson
Waldow

POY will be Haws in a landslide wouldn't be suprised if it was unanimous.

77Zag
03-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Love all the speculation -- when is this announced?

Go Zags - Beat SCU/Pacific!!

jpwils
03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Love all the speculation -- when is this announced?

Dower
Karnowski
Waldow
Haws
Dee

Ireland
Dickerson
Van der Mars
Brownridge
Pangos

Honorable mention Doolin for exposing Rex
Holt
Nicholas
Anderson
Lane
Clarke
somebody from Pacific

Coach of year- Few

Def POY- Karnowski

newcomer-Brownridge
honorable mention-Bobby Sharp

77Zag
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
JP...got a link, or more guessing?

If it holds true to form, the selections should come out tomorrow. Last year it was on Tuesday March 5th, the first Tuesday after league play concluded.

kitzbuel
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe van der Mars instead of Nicholas from UP? Both are solid, but I've been more impressed with van der Mars from what I've seen. I haven't looked at their statistics for the season though.
Nichols will keep Van der Mars out this year. Next year will be his year.