PDA

View Full Version : What a Whiner !

Zag 77
03-01-2014, 04:48 PM
This letter to the Editor in the Spokesman-Review today is so stupid it is downright funny:

Zag Noise Harmful

Regarding “Sound and Fury” (Feb. 16): We started attending Lady Zag basketball games four years ago and, because of noise-induced hearing loss, I was immediately struck by the sound level. The men’s game, with all 6,000 seats filled, must be even worse.

My sound meter measured a peak 103 decibels, with long portions going over 95dB. Since it is the university’s sound and light show that whips the fans into such noisy fury, I am flummoxed as to what Jesuit values Gonzaga University is attempting to inculcate in these young adults.
Regarding the noise: Gonzaga faces a class-action lawsuit for all the hearing aids required by former students 20 years from now. Permanent hearing damage occurs when there’s too much noise for too long. My engineering guesstimate is that permanent damage at a GU game starts after about one-half hour or less considering the noisy pregame.

Ringing in the ears will only get worse; someday soon they will ring forever. Advice: Fans can hear friends better in a noisy environment wearing earplugs. Conversation (not yelling) is 60 to 65dB so, fortunately, you can talk forever.

Leonard Butters
Spokane

gu03alum
03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
This letter to the Editor in the Spokesman-Review today is so stupid it is downright funny:

It's amazing the things people will come up with to complain about.

sittingon50
03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Dear Leonard,

You can get your D-1 fix just down the road in Pullman. I can guarantee you it ill be plenty quiet enough to suit your needs.

zag69
03-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I think it's a valid concern, and I'm sorry you felt you had to bother to complain about a complaint.

Zagceo
03-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I've been to 2 Hockey games in Anaheim and I will not go back. Every time theres a TV timeout or stoppage of play the in house STEREO BLASTS out music at a deafening level. I truly believe its a market ploy to get people out of there seats and buy a dog and a beer. It worked on me. My ears rang for hours after those games. It sounds like this fans problem was with the kids but can anyone verify if the stadiums sound system blasts music during timeouts in the Kennel?

Zag 77
03-02-2014, 05:47 PM
There must be a certain element who think that one should be relatively quiet at college basketball games and perhaps occasionally clap politely:

Kennel behavior rude

Regarding recent articles about the conduct of the Kennel Club during Gonzaga menís home basketball games, I believe the rude behavior is not at all about school spirit, but all about children with fourth-grade mentalities, who were never taught good sportsmanship, trying anything and everything to get themselves shown on TV.

They know that TV cameramen canít resist Halloween costumes and lowlife behavior. Turning their backs on visiting team introductions? You bet. Apparently Gonzaga is OK with this conduct.

I think that for the first time, the Bulldogs are starting to rely on rude fans to win games, and that doesnít bode too well for our road schedule against teams whoíve experienced that behavior at McCarthey Center. They think itís payback time. And it sure wonít help us get past the first or second round of the NCAA tournament, if we should get that far.

My wife and I are diehard fans, and we expect better of Gonzaga.

Gary Griffith

Spokane

I am getting to be an old fart and some of these people are giving old farts a bad name.

zag944
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
If they want a real assault on the ears, they should watch the ROOT sports telecast.

Oregonzagnut
03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
It may be a valid concern but just look at all the lawsuits that have been won suing rock bands for nearly 70 years.

If that couple went one time and felt it hurt them, then why did they go back? Class action lawsuits can be won when significant harm or some for of misrepresentation have occurred. But in choosing willingly to enter of their own accord, no one has beenlied to of deliberately hurt.

EVERY student knows it's loud. They are the ones doing it!! Are they going too have a class action suit against themselves?

TexasZagFan
03-05-2014, 04:56 AM
There must be a certain element who think that one should be relatively quiet at college basketball games and perhaps occasionally clap politely:

I am getting to be an old fart and some of these people are giving old farts a bad name.

Methinks the letter writer never attended a game when the Snake Pit ruled at Kennedy. :lmao: Just ask BobZag or GoZags. The fires were fueled by the passions stoked at Zag hockey games. In a nutshell, these were the days before anyone had heard of "political correctness."

gonzagafan62
03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Dear Leonard,

You have the choice to watch the games on TV. If you are really that disturbed by the noise, don't go. That simple.

Best Wishes,

gonzagafan62.

PS I am sure there are 3 other D1 schools in the area that will gladly take your business and not ruin your hearing.

michaelak
03-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey Zag for Life:

What about that letter to the Spokesman Review about "GU leaves Alums Out?" Have you ever got off your easy chair to use a cardio machine on campus?

MTZag03
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM
The director of the Jundt center had a lady complain multiple times that the shades in the windows were pulled down in an irrational fashion. Note, this wasn't someone visiting who thought the lighting inside was distracting, this was someone who thought the outside of the building looked ugly due to shades being pulled down to different heights.

The moral: some people need something to complain about. Some are also crazy.