PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St Mary's...predictions and game thread

Reborn
02-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Gonzaga 75
St. Mary's 63

Wow! It's the last game of the conference season. It sure went fast now that it's over. And we get to end it with our favorite foe. I like it. Randy Bennett will be with the team this time; so it will be a lot more fun. As you can see from my prediction, I believe the Zags are going to play really good tonight. I'm thinking we'll see one of their better games in awhile. Maybe alot of fans think they'll let up because they've already won the conference, but it's not going to happen, imo. The team is going to be on fire tonight, playing with the true heart of a Zag. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Beating St Mary's really makes me feel good. It's the kind of medicine I need right now.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-28-2014, 07:46 AM
I agree Reborn. I know our Zags wanna punch our ticket to the big dance and we can with a win Saturday. Lets get 'er done.

Gonzaga 77
SMC 68

Zags11
02-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Zags 81
gaels 74

bell with 17

wnczagfan
02-28-2014, 08:26 AM
My St. Mary's Prediction Story:

For the first time this season, the Zags face a St. Mary's team led by Randy Bennett. Bennett, fresh off a five game suspension for violations of NCAA rules prohibiting food, clothing, and shelter, is ready to try and take down the Zags.

Waldow wins the tip and plays well for most of the first half.

Brad Waldow, who people think is wearing a "vampire teeth" mouth guard, is really the victim of an unusual regrowth of teeth after having them knocked out last year in a game versus San Diego, although Brad is really worried that something is happening to him akin to the "Teen Wolf" movie.

Concerned that he will start sprouting hair in unusual places (similar to when he was a teenager), Brad takes off for the locker room. Later, when Randy Bennett notices he is missing, he says "Where's Waldow?" This of course starts the St. Mary's players looking around the arena person by person to see if they can spot Waldo.

Taking advantage of this distraction, the Zags go on their run, highlighted by David Stockton's behind the back, through one leg, and over the shoulder assist to Sam Dower, who after being caught unawares and beaned in the chest with the ball, regroups, grabs it, and slams it down for a dunk.

Once it occurs to the other Zags that David was actually a quarterback for his football team in high school, they begin to understand his passes and start running post routes and corner routes for "completions" that lead to easy buckets, and the Zags take a commanding lead.

The St. Mary's players, finally realizing that the Zags are playing a quasi-football game to cheers from the audience, get in the spirit and decide to kick a field goal, resulting in an embarrassing crowd silence and a technical foul.

The Gael's mascot, ....well...I'm not sure what that thing is..., tries to get the crowd back into the game to no avail, and the Zags win a decisive victory.

Zags. 85

Gaels. 68

P.S. At the end of the game is a special ceremony honoring St. Mary's past player Matthew Dellavedova. The Zags fans (which are the majority of the audience as usual), suffering from an inner turmoil of both liking Dellavedova for his basketball skills, and yet hating him at the same time because he played for St. Mary's, kind of try to clap with one hand. This silent one-handed applause has the appearance of a type of "Wave" throughout the arena and becomes known as "the Clap". It is enthusiastically adopted by fad-loving college basketball fans everywhere; and it will be forever known in the annals of college basketball history that it was the Gaels who gave everyone "the Clap".

Mr Vulture
02-28-2014, 08:44 AM
I am thinking we continue to stay focused and move towards the tournament (which I think we are in regardless if we win again). I say Gonzaga 72-61..

Nevada Don
02-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Well written. I applaud you.
Clap-Clap.
Go Gaels.

gonzagafan62
02-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Clap-Clap.
Go Gaels.

Now was that "the clap" or your version of clapping? LOL! Go Zags!

former1dog
02-28-2014, 09:36 AM
P.S. At the end of the game is a special ceremony honoring St. Mary's past player Matthew Dellavedova. The Zags fans (which are the majority of the audience as usual), suffering from an inner turmoil of both liking Dellavedova for his basketball skills, and yet hating him at the same time because he played for St. Mary's, kind of try to clap with one hand. This silent one-handed applause has the appearance of a type of "Wave" throughout the arena and becomes known as "the Clap". It is enthusiastically adopted by fad-loving college basketball fans everywhere; and it will be forever known in the annals of college basketball history that it was the Gaels who gave everyone "the Clap".

LOL

bballbeachbum
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
here's a perspective on the importance of tomorrow's game. Meehan posted it in his article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/94806/weekend-homework-gonzagas-shaky-finish

big game tomorrow. Go Zags!

Mr Vulture
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
We are in, whether we win another game or not. Does affect seeding but I think we are 10 seed at the low end and 7 seed on the high end. I don't think these games are going to matter greatly in the grand scheme although wins heading into the tournament are good for the state of the team. I would be surprised if we won more than a game this year so really not to worried about seeding that much.

gonzagafan62
02-28-2014, 12:31 PM
here's a perspective on the importance of tomorrow's game. Meehan posted it in his article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/94806/weekend-homework-gonzagas-shaky-finish

big game tomorrow. Go Zags!

I agree with the height and tension this game will bring. I think a win tomorrow makes it to where you absolutely HAVE to put Gonzaga in the tournament. A loss and its very dicey, especially if we lose in the first round of the conference tournament. Hopefully we wrap up our spot tomorrow.

Kiddwell
02-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Champs vs. Chumps, a poem
<ahem>
There once was a team of chumps,
Whose talent dropped off to the dumps.
The host team got clobbered,
Till they babbled and slobbered.
At the Zags dealing out bruises and lumps. :boxing:
---
League of their Own - 88
Owned - 63

:]

DixieZag
02-28-2014, 02:06 PM
I believe it will be much closer than double digit points - not based upon how we are playing, though that is still, well. It is b/c this is SMC senior night, the last home game and they will be wanting to bring it. They want to bring it for the GU game every year, but I think this'll be even more intense than usual.

But, they're a little undermanned this year.

GU 69
SMC 66

Ugly game - fouls everywhere. Sam carries us.

Baseline
02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
GU 74
SMC 68

Everyone that has done well against GU has done it when our bigs had problems. It will be interesting what Randy does in light of what BYU did to get an edge on fouls. I bet Few has a strategy if Waldow sits to start. The game will be greatly decided if the re-emergent Pangos driving and shooting threes remains intact on the road.
SMC has trouble stopping drives I hope Coleman gets an early run to see what he can do and what foul pressure it might create.

DixieZag
02-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Clap-Clap.
Go Gaels.

Hey Don, good to see you back. Wish we could get a prediction out of you. We expect a little homerism - - let me guess SMC 74
GU 71 ?????? Could happen

Regardless, come by during the tourney and drop some knowledge on us - we may not like SMC but there're a lot of good SMC posters here.

Nevada Don
02-28-2014, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=DixieZag;992099]Hey Don, good to see you back. Wish we could get a prediction out of you.

Thanks for the shout out DixieZag. I am here, reading, lurking, stalking. That doesn't sound too good does it?

This has been such a weird season. As far as tomorrow, the Gaels could definately surprise. Maybe that's the difference this year. If SMC wins, it would be a surprise. In the past few years, the Gaels felt like they deserved to win and expected to win. Anyway, I'll take the Gaels at home. We'll see which team hits their 3's.

As far as the Dance goes, I am hoping that GU does well. I think there is some merit in the thought that, this year, GU has something to prove, in the underdog role. They haven't really been in that role lately, a role in which they excelled and defined the term, Cinderella.

Reborn
02-28-2014, 04:55 PM
I believe it does matter. If the Zags can beat St. Mary's two more times, and secure a victory over BYU in the conference championship, then maybe we will get the 7 seed.

Zags11
02-28-2014, 04:59 PM
If we win out. 28-6, will get us 5 or 6 seed. High 5 or high 6.

DixieZag
02-28-2014, 09:02 PM
If we win out. 28-6, will get us 5 or 6 seed. High 5 or high 6.

I don't think so, you may be right, it's impossible to tell ahead of time, but I think seven is the highest, pink cloud dream would could imagine.

JAGzag
02-28-2014, 09:09 PM
I just want out of the 8/9 seed prediction. Is it that bad if we play ourselves into a 10-12 seed?

BaldguyZag
02-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Zags 73
Gaels 66

Just win baby!

MJ777
03-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Zags 74 SMC 72 Go Zags!

ZagaZags
03-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Clap-Clap.
Go Gaels.

God is Zag.

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 04:35 AM
Champs vs. Chumps, a poem
<ahem>
There once was a team of chumps,
Whose talent dropped off to the dumps.
The host team got clobbered,
Till they babbled and slobbered.
At the Zags dealing out bruises and lumps. :boxing:
---
League of their Own - 88
Owned - 63

Nice, Kiddwell!

I always have trouble with the last line. See if you can finish these:

There once was a team from Gon-Zaw-ga,
Who played a game in Moraga.
They beat them up bad,
Causing Gael tears so sad,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. (saga rhymes - I got nothing).

or

There once was a team from Spokane,
Thought to be a flash in the pan.
They were oft disrespected,
But won games unexpected,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. (got nothing)

Reborn
03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
It's game day, and I'm getting excited. I'm kind of angry this morning. I'm sick and tired of reading all this "crap" about our Zags. How many teams in D-1 are not having a tough time winning on the road? St Louis just lost to Dequesne. Does anyone say anything about that? St Louis has not beaten anyone all year long that would indicate to me they're better then Gonzaga. And they're ranked 10th in the polls. They're resume looks pretty much like Gonzaga's. However, the lost to Wichita St at home. Let's look at UMASS. They have a loss at home to George Mason who is 3rd from the bottom in their conference. They lost at St Bonny's which is about like us losing at San Diego or Portland. They lost at Richmond (the same about like Portland) and finally they lost to St Joe's on the road. Equal to GU's lost to BYU. They don't play either VCU nor St Louis on the road. I could go on and on and on. I'm using just one conference to show you how the other teams are doing, which IMO is almost worst then GU. UMASS has an rpi of like 12. Crazy. So you see i'm sick of all this ANTI Gonzaga talk. What Gonzaga needs to do is just go out there and beat St Mary's real good. I know our boys will be ready for this game tonight. It's the last game of the season, and if GU wins, imo, St Mary's chances of making it to the NCAA tournament is 0%. And there's nothing we Zag fans would love more then to see St Mary's sit at home this year.

To me there doesn't seem to be much excitement for this game tonight. At least not here on GUBoards. It's the way it is this year, even by our fans here. Gonzaga vs St Mary's IS ALWAYS a huge game, and this one tonight is too.

I'm looking forward to see a game that will be even better then the one Thursday night at Pacific. It's going to be even tougher. St Mary's has already lost two games at home this year, and Gonzaga is going to go in there and win another one. Gonzaga can win on the road. They beat San Francisco on the road and they are tied for second with BYU. And San Francisco is a tougher place for the Zags to win then Moraga. And San Francisco is better than St Mary's this year. So we'll see who wins tonight. Ken Pomeroy gives us a 49% of winning. Good. We're underdogs. And I hope we are underdogs the rest of the year. If Kevin's toe is getting better, then we are ready for the fight.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Reborn, we all love the enthusiasm of the guy that actually played at GU. It's all just opinions, fans throwing things back and forth, it's happened since the beginning of time. Mine or anyone else's, either frustration or elation, is all worth the money we're paid to write them. Don't let anything get under your skin, just shout out your thoughts and let people learn or debate them. It's all fun, we all love the Zags, we can all be stupid and we can all be geniuses. In the end, the games are the games. . .

And tonight is a big game, you're right about that.

VinnyZag
03-01-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm strangely optimistic. Have no particular reason to be, since this is GU's second toughest road test of the year, but I am optimistic.

If GU 1) gets Waldow in foul trouble again and 2) contains SMC's role player shooters like Levesque and Carter, the Zags should win.

Reborn
03-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm strangely optimistic. Have no particular reason to be, since this is GU's second toughest road test of the year, but I am optimistic.

If GU 1) gets Waldow in foul trouble again and 2) contains SMC's role player shooters like Levesque and Carter, the Zags should win.

I know that feeling well. :cheers:

Reborn
03-01-2014, 09:02 AM
UMASS LOSES TO DAYTON. As you remember Dayton was our first loss. This win may put Dayton into the tournament. Now what about UMASS. Will they continue with an RPI in the top 15 RPI? I cannot believe these rating systems. The BPI rating system has UMASS rated just ahead of GU at 29. How can people say UMASS is a lock into the NCAA tournament and not Gonzaga? The victory by Dayton could put them into the top 50 in the RPI.

Zags11
03-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Zags are in unless they dump the rest. We may have 13 seed but who cares. Lets shock the world again.

VinnyZag
03-01-2014, 09:21 AM
I know that feeling well. :cheers:

I don't. I'm a born pessimist. This is disorienting.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't think this game will be close. If we play as well as we did against Pacific, we win by fifteen or more. If we play like we did against San Diego, we'll lose by ten.

My hunch is that we are about to start building some March momentum. I suspect that we'll have an 8-12 point lead at the half. SMC has fought back from some big deficits against us in the past, but I think we will snuff out their attempted rallies and hold a comfortable lead for the last eight minutes of the game. We have a deeper team than they do and I think this will be one of those nights when seven or eight Zags make solid contributions and only a couple of Gaels play well.

Also, I predict that Edwards will frustrate Waldow for the few minutes that he plays.

TravelinZag
03-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Zags win, go on to win the WCC tournament. WCC gets only one team invited to dance. Zags double punished for "embarrassing" the committee last year: seeded ninth in the South or East. So it goes.

Regardless. Congratulations, Bulldogs, on your achievements this year. Nearly everyone wrote you off (including most on this board), and not entirely without reason. You lost great talent, your Hart and your soul from last year. As soon as the full team became eligible, injuries and illnesses began to mount. You persevered, you had grit. You proved the critics wrong (thou' they'll not admit it now).

You excited us. You made us proud. Good luck the rest of the way. We'll be behind you, whatever comes! (Well, about 85% of us will, and the other 15% won't ever be there. Who needs 'em?)

jim77
03-01-2014, 12:22 PM
The Zags simply have too much for the Gaels....they can't deal with our inside game. I think they'll probably have one of their uglier looses on their own floor against us.....the ZAGS are all business.....Zags 80 Gaels 65

Mantua
03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Honestly, the Gaels look soft this year. Holt is very inconsistent. Waldow is a little slow and not that strong. Their guard play is average. I can't imagine losing this game.

zagfan24
03-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Hard to believe this is the final game of the regular season. It's been a weird one for me as a fan. Over the course of the season I have admittedly felt less optimistic about this year's team than I have in a while, mostly due to the incredible amount of talent they lost in their front court along with the injuries that have limited Pangos, Bell, etc.

That said, the lower than usual expectations have helped temper my disappointment following each loss and I have been more excited with many of the wins that would have been more "meh" in other years. I think this team has given consistently solid effort, and they seem to play well together, and their overall record pretty much reflects their talent level, IMO. I've really enjoyed watching the seniors play this year as well...I'll really miss Dower, Stocks, and Barham next year all for different reasons.

So, tonight brings the season to an appropriate crescendo. Win and we're (almost assuredly) in. Lose and it's a much tougher path. It is always hard to beat a rival on the road, and St. Mary's presents some tough matchups (Levesque in particular seems to bother the Zags). However, the Zags have every reason to bring a high level of energy into the game. The WCC title is clinched but the tournament bid is essentially up for grabs.

I see three stats deciding the game: Turnovers, Free Throw Attempts, and Offensive Rebounds. The team that wins 2/3 or 3/3 of those categories will win, IMO. I have faith the Zags will get it done. I foresee a big game from Sam Dower, a breakout game for GBJ, and double digit assists from David Stockton.

Zags 82
Gales 77

Go Zags!!!

Kiddwell
03-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Nice, Kiddwell!

They beat them up bad,

or

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. (got nothing)
Thanks, WNC. Not sure about finishing that first poem, but here goes on the second:

Like kicking the Gaels in the can. :p

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks, WNC. Not sure about finishing that first poem, but here goes on the second:

Like kicking the Gaels in the can. :p

Nice, Kiddwell! Thanks!

Nevada Don
03-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Honestly, the Gaels look soft this year. Holt is very inconsistent. Waldow is a little slow and not that strong. Their guard play is average. I can't imagine losing this game.

Gaels are a little "off" this year for whatever reasons but when you say that you can't "imagine losing this game", I think you might want to be a little cautious, especially in a year that anyone seems to be able to beat anyone.

As far as Holt goes, he has been very consistant, going for 35 and 26 the last two games. His numbers are good. There are two other guards, Walker and Carter that can light up the scoreboard in a flash. Bottom line, I won't be shocked to see the Zags win by 20 or for the Gaels to win by 20.

Good luck, play well and no injuries.

DixieZag
03-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Gaels are a little "off" this year for whatever reasons but when you say that you can't "imagine losing this game", I think you might want to be a little cautious, especially in a year that anyone seems to be able to beat anyone.

As far as Holt goes, he has been very consistant, going for 35 and 26 the last two games. His numbers are good. There are two other guards, Walker and Carter that can light up the scoreboard in a flash. Bottom line, I won't be shocked to see the Zags win by 20 or for the Gaels to win by 20.

Good luck, play well and no injuries.

I certainly agree this game could go either way. Keep in mind that many of us that say "soft" are just saying that in comparison to some teams recently that certainly were not. Holt may well be playing well recently (I have no idea) but they way he lit us up occasionally last year and such I think we presumed he'd be a lot more dominant.

I expect SMC to fully bring it tonight - I have no idea which Zag team shows up, Good Zags show up and there's trouble on senior night - we'll see. Keep posting.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Gonzaga 73-71.

ZaGranny
03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=wnczagfan;992206]Nice, Kiddwell!

They beat them up bad,

They beat them up bad,
Thaat they filled up Lake Onondaga.

A little weak--sincethey're in opposite parts of the country.

ZaGranny

Nevada Don
03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Great 1st half Zags, very well done. That was painful for Gael fans.

MJ777
03-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Zags 74 SMC 72 Go Zags!

99, "missed it by that much." "Just a bit outside"

willandi
03-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Not sure what I saw, but when Waldow was holding up his Uni strap...was he wearing a black bra?

wnczagfan
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=wnczagfan;992206]Nice, Kiddwell!

They beat them up bad,

They beat them up bad,
Thaat they filled up Lake Onondaga.

A little weak--sincethey're in opposite parts of the country.

ZaGranny

Love it! Thanks, ZaGranny!

Reborn
03-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I couldn't be happier with this win. The long journey we call conference play is finally over. I've got a ton of good memories, and a few bad, but in the end the Zags what they needed to do, especially this week. Proud of our Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
03-02-2014, 03:31 AM
Zags double punished for "embarrassing" the committee last year: seeded ninth in the South or East. So it goes.

I think Wichita St being a 9 seed was a worse embarrassment. WSU peaked at the right time and we can see now they had the talent and the system to succeed even last year.