PDA

View Full Version : Gaels vs Zags--Gael Perspective

BayAreaGael
02-28-2014, 12:06 AM
First off Congrats on the league title.

A big game coming up on Saturday for both teams. If you guys get the W, you should be in the tourney regardless of what happens in Vegas. Even if you lose you probably are in, but a win in Moraga would lock it up.

From what I've seen of you guys is similar to us, comparatively speaking. Not quite up to your squads usual level of play, but still a force to be reckoned with. From watching this year it sure looks like Pangos has lost a step, he no longer looks quick and at times disappears out there. I love watching Dower play for you guys. A real weapon having a player who can pop jumpers and play back to the basket post offense.

Gaels haven't quite had the team we were hoping for this year. A lot of inconsistency and just frankly not as talented as we have been in the past. However, when we get hot from three we can still cause teams trouble, and Holt and Waldow are all-conference caliber. Last couple games we've been sucessful having Holt take more control and take more contested shots and being more selfish. IMO he is the 2nd best guard in the league behind Haws.

We really blew a couple games this year at home. We lost double-digit leads at half to both BYU and Santa Clara, we pull those games out we are in second in league.

The key for us in this game is getting your Polish big boy in foul trouble. If we can do that and limit his minutes Waldow will be tough to defend for you guys. We also need James Walker III and Kerry Carter to knock down 3's. They will be better than what you saw in Spokane, that's forsure. Carter especially shoots well at Mckeon. Offhand I would bet hes shooting around 50% from deep at home this year.

Dower really worries me, I'm not sure how we matchup with him defensively. Frankly, Levesque has lost a step of late and looks lost out there. Some dumb fouls and bad TO's. Garrett Jackson is an athletic transfer from USC who was hurt our last game against you guys, he will probably get good minutes to mark Dower. He is similar to Nunez on your guy's team, a lot of talent and athleticism but doesn't look quite comfortable on the court as of yet. I'm betting he will be big for us next year.

If I had to put money on it, I would say that you guys win by about 6-10 points.

However, Gaels will be hungry on Senior Night and we will fight for every inch out on the court. I'm hoping we can be in it and give it a run to pull it out.

Should be a good one.

BayAreaGael

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
If I had to put money on it I would say we win by 6-10 too. But it appears that if we defend and rebound we can hang with anyone, even if we go cold shooting. But if we have weak defense and continue to shoot 3s that aren't falling and we get sloppy, we can lose.

IMO, St Marys will do what both BYU and San Diego had to do. Get physical with our bigs, foul hard and draw fouls because inevitably the WCC refs will home cook. But basically, if the Gaels defend harder than we do, rattle us on offense, and can shoot better than us from FT's and 3pt land, you follow the blueprint that has given us trouble all year but also a few teams have beaten us with that tactic.

If we can dictate tempo (preferably up-tempo) we win.

zag buddy
02-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks for stopping by BAG. I think both our teams are very inconsistant this year but it sure makes for exciting games with a lot of emotional involment on my part. I would say this game is a pick-um game. It is very hard to say which team will show up for either team. I'm not very disappointed when your team beats us because of your excellent coach and the intensity of your players. I would hope at least two teams or three make it to the big dance from our conference.

ZagMania
02-28-2014, 05:28 AM
Interesting to hear about Levesque, he usually brings it against the Zags though.

bartruff1
02-28-2014, 05:53 AM
St Mary's is a good team...it is very difficult to win on the road against a good team that is motivated to play hard...this game is more important to them .... so we shall see.

DixieZag
02-28-2014, 06:16 AM
This game is always circled on the calendar - strange that the conference would make it the last game of the year, but makes it even more exciting.

I have no idea. A lot depends on which Gonzaga team, good GU or bad GU shows up. Good GU is capable of beating just about anyone, bad GU. . . I suspect good SMC will be there b/c of home game, necessity, revenge for getting peppered here, and senior night. It'll be close.

meadgrad02
02-28-2014, 08:23 AM
St Mary's is a good team...it is very difficult to win on the road against a good team that is motivated to play hard...this game is more important to them .... so we shall see.

I'm just wondering why you think this game is more important to them than us? Are we not still fighting for our Tourney lives? We should not be thinking that we are in the NCAA tournament just because we won the league title. We need to play this game like we have to win, to get into the tournament. Win this game and we should be good. So this game should be very important to GU.

bartruff1
02-28-2014, 08:31 AM
I believe we are in and they need to win to even get on the bubble...therefore it is more important for them.

a win here will help with seeding but the WCC Tourney gives Gonzaga additional opportunities ...

I am one of " those " that believe the Conference Championship is the season and NCAA is a reward for a great season....and a crap shoot...

and the seeding is not a deal breaker for the teams that are seeded from 6 on down.... it is all about who plays well in a one and done game.....

Others have a different opinion and I am sure our opinions have no effect on what happens.

seacatfan
02-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I've been surprised to see St. Mary's not up to par this season. Of course losing Delly was huge, but going back to Mills the Gaels have shrugged off losing one star player after another and kept rolling. Finally took a step backwards. Their fans probably think similarly about GU.

The powers that be probably thought a GU at SMC game on the last day of the regular season would decide the conference championship. Really strange to think SMC needs to win to avoid finishing in 4th place, and then would still need teams ahead of them to lose.

gonzagafan62
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I believe we are in and they need to win to even get on the bubble...therefore it is more important for them.

a win here will help with seeding but the WCC Tourney gives Gonzaga additional opportunities ...

I am one of " those " that believe the Conference Championship is the season and NCAA is a reward for a great season....and a crap shoot...

and the seeding is not a deal breaker for the teams that are seeded from 6 on down.... it is all about who plays well in a one and done game.....

Others have a different opinion and I am sure our opinions have no effect on what happens.

And this is just an opinion bart, don't take this the wrong way, at all. I don't think a win for SMC here gets SMC anywhere near the bubble. Not even in the discussion. Their resume is not good.

So they wanna win this game, but if they lose, its not quite the end of the world, they got the conference tournament coming up.