PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Beach granted waiver to attend National Championship Competition

ZAGGED OUT
02-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Rainier Beach, who is ranked #4 nationally, was granted a waiver by the washington athletics board to play for the national championship. Granted they will need to win the state 'ship first i'm sure.

Dejounte Murray plays for them, here's hoping this Zags recruit gets two championships this year!

DixieZag
02-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Pretty impressive - - are they far and away the best team in the Seattle metro?

Angelo Roncalli
02-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Pretty impressive - - are they far and away the best team in the Seattle metro?

Easily. But the quality of HS basketball in the metro area is in a bit of a valley compared to past years.

Zagceo
02-26-2014, 06:11 PM
So are you talking about the Dicks tourney in Madison Square Garden April 5th?

http://www.thegarden.com/events/2014/april/dicksnationaltournament.html

ZagSports
02-26-2014, 06:12 PM
I would love to see Rainier Beach play Garfield (4A #1) team. I think Beach would win 95% of the time, but if there is one school in state that could make it competitive it would be Garfield

VinnyZag
02-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Here's a Seattle Times story (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/highschoolsports/2014/02/26/rainier-beach-hopes-to-play-for-national-title-appealing-wiaa-decision/) about it.

Not only is Beach the best Seattle area team right now, I believe they are regarded as one of the better teams ever from Seattle.

ZAGGED OUT
02-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes Zagsceo, it is the Dicks tourney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maynard g krebs
02-27-2014, 12:08 AM
At the Christmas Les Schwab tourney in Portland, they beat Melson's Jefferson team 90-72, Chicago Whitney young 89-82, and Las Vegas Bishop Gorman 95-67. They have scored a hundred 9 times, and ninety 5 more times.

D 1 players coming off the bench.

zagzealot
02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Having seen Rainier Beach play in person a couple of years ago I was amazed at their talent level. This thread piqued my curiosity...how have they finished the last few years in the 3A Washington State tourney?

Final Results in 3A:

2003 Rainier Beach def Issaquah
2004 O'Dea def Rainier Beach
2005 O'Dea def Mark Morris - RB finished 6th
2006 Seattle Prep def O'Dea - RB finished 4th
2007 O'Dea def Bainbridge - RB did not place
2008 Rainier Beach def Lakes
2009 Franklin def Columbia River - RB did not place
2010 Union def Enumclaw - RB did not place
2011 Lakes def Bellevue - RB wasn't even in the tourney that year
2012 Rainier Beach def Seattle Prep (won by 3)
2013 Rainier Beach def Lakeside (won by 3)

Four of the 5 years prior to winning in 2012 and 2013 they didn't even place in the tourney and winning by only 3 pts in 2012 and 2013 isn't exactly dominating 3A. I know the past doesn't dictate the future but it will be interesting to see if they add to their current streak of 2 championships and how long they keep it up. High School sports are a roller coaster from year to year.

jazzdelmar
02-27-2014, 09:25 AM
will perkins' team play in it?

exclusivelee
02-27-2014, 09:36 AM
will perkins' team play in it?

It think it depends on whether this bill passes:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x32206792/Huntington-Prep-bill-advances

Feb. 14, 2014 @ 12:00 AM

A bill that would recognize the Huntington St. Joseph Prep boys basketball team as a member of the WVSSAC passed Thursday through the West Virginia Senate Education Committee.

The bill will move on to the Senate Judiciary Committee for consideration.

Under the bill, Huntington Prep would be recognized as a member of the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission, which would make the Irish eligible for national tournaments such as the upcoming Dick's Sporting Goods High School National Tournament in New York.

WVSSAC recognition is vital, Fulford said, because Huntington Prep was unable to play in the Dick's Sporting Goods High School National Tournament (formerly the ESPN National High School Invitational) in recent years because one of the stipulations of participants is they must be recognized by their state association.

One important piece of the legislation states that while Huntington Prep would be recognized by the WVSSAC as a college preparatory team, the team would not be eligible for league, regional or state championships in West Virginia.

exclusivelee
02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
The Huntington Prep bill passed through the Senate but now still needs to pass through the House of Delegates:

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/PrepSports/201402190185

February 19, 2014

A West Virginia Senate bill passed on Wednesday that could lead to athletic contests between public high schools and Huntington Prep.

The bill passed by a vote of 31-3 and now moves the House of Delegates, which also needs to approve the bill.

The bill passed says the state Secondary School Activities Commission can allow Huntington Prep to be a member with certain restrictions. The Irish, a basketball-centric program that sends its players to St. Joseph Central during the day, wouldn't be able to compete for league or state titles.

The bill would, however, allow for a college preparatory team to play "a limited schedule in each sanctioned sport" against SSAC teams.

Zag 77
02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
ESPN has programming holes to fill, but phony/real national championships for HS football and basketball are a supremely dumb idea.

If you want to have football or basketball teams play invitational games on Labor Day weekend or Christmas Vacation, that is fine.

Did anybody forget these kids are supposed to be "students?" Plus the whole notion of glorifying some kids in some national championship just enhances the idea that everything plays second fiddle to sports in schools like Ranier and Garfield that have serious social problems and academic challenges. That would still be an issue for me even if it were private schools.

Zagceo
02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
ESPN has programming holes to fill, but phony/real national championships for HS football and basketball are a supremely dumb idea.

If you want to have football or basketball teams play invitational games on Labor Day weekend or Christmas Vacation, that is fine.

Did anybody forget these kids are supposed to be "students?" Plus the whole notion of glorifying some kids in some national championship just enhances the idea that everything plays second fiddle to sports in schools like Ranier and Garfield that have serious social problems and academic challenges. That would still be an issue for me even if it were private schools.

I think the horse has left the barn on this one with the likes of the Little league world series.

seacatfan
02-27-2014, 11:13 AM
High School sports are a roller coaster from year to year.

Except for Bellevue football. Holy cow those guys have dominated the state.

Nice job compiling the finishes in the bball playoffs. That was interesting.

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2014, 11:15 AM

You do realize that Garfield, on average, has as many National Merit Scholarship finalists as any school in the state?

This year, Garfield had 19 finalists. Gonzaga Prep had 3; Seattle Prep had none.

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Except for Bellevue football. Holy cow those guys have dominated the state.

Nice job compiling the finishes in the bball playoffs. That was interesting.

That's what you get when you have a full time coach whose salary is "supplemented" in the $50,000 range by the boosters and who recruits the cream of the crop on the Eastside.

KOzag08
02-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Here's a Seattle Times story (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/highschoolsports/2014/02/26/rainier-beach-hopes-to-play-for-national-title-appealing-wiaa-decision/) about it.

Not only is Beach the best Seattle area team right now, I believe they are regarded as one of the better teams ever from Seattle.

I'd put the '02-'03 and the '03-'04 Rainier Beach teams up there too. They had the Stewart twins (both committed to Kansas), Nate Robinson (NBA), Chester Giles (Kansas), Terrence Williams (NBA), and Ryan Anderson (Nebraska). I played at Seattle Prep at the time and we had a couple of NBA players in Martell Webster and Spencer Hawes. We were a perpetual underachieving team, but both of our teams were ranked in the USA Today top 10 in '04. I specifically remember my junior year when Nate Robinson dunked on me at Rainier Beach. Those games were incredible to be part of. Seattle High School basketball was at its best then. Metro alone had three teams ranked in the USA Today Top 25 with O'Dea at #23.

seacatfan
02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
I'd put the '02-'03 and the '03-'04 Rainier Beach teams up there too. They had the Stewart twins (both committed to Kansas), Nate Robinson (NBA), Chester Giles (Kansas), Terrence Williams (NBA), and Ryan Anderson (Nebraska). I played at Seattle Prep at the time and we had a couple of NBA players in Martell Webster and Spencer Hawes. We were a perpetual underachieving team, but both of our teams were ranked in the USA Today top 10 in '04. I specifically remember my junior year when Nate Robinson dunked on me at Rainier Beach. Those games were incredible to be part of. Seattle High School basketball was at its best then. Metro alone had three teams ranked in the USA Today Top 25 with O'Dea at #23.

I remember being absolutely perplexed that a team w/ 2 prospects like Webster and Hawes missed going to the state playoffs one year. That was a loaded Beach team. I bet no one at the time guessed that Nate would go on to be the best of the bunch.

KOzag08
02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
I remember being absolutely perplexed that a team w/ 2 prospects like Webster and Hawes missed going to the state playoffs one year. That was a loaded Beach team. I bet no one at the time guessed that Nate would go on to be the best of the bunch.

Well, I'll tell you ... We didn't have Martell most of the year because he fractured a bone in his foot right before the season. Then we got him back and played Beach in the Metro semifinal. We were up by about 17 at half and then went COLD. When I say cold, I mean weird temperature cold. I can't remember the specific stat line, but it was around 1-15 in the third quarter. We hit a buzzer beater to win the game, but the refs called it off (I actually have the video proof that we got it off before the buzzer). We went to OT, missed a bunch of opportunities. Went to a second OT, Martell broke his foot again. Went to a third OT and missed two wide open threes to win the game. The whole city was wrapped up in that game; lots on the line, lots of college coaches ... As a 17-year-old kid, it was really mentally draining. We ended up playing Cleveland in a winner-to-state game. They were a really good and athletic team; I think they were #6 in state. We'd beat them twice already that year. We were up 7 with a minute to go and missed all of our free throws in the last minute and lost in OT. It felt like a perfect storm working against us.

If you can't tell ... It still stings. We had two other guys go D-1 from that team and a bunch of guys that played D-2 and D-3 ball.

GoZags
02-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, I'll tell you ... We didn't have Martell most of the year because he fractured a bone in his foot right before the season. Then we got him back and played Beach in the Metro semifinal. We were up by about 17 at half and then went COLD. When I say cold, I mean weird temperature cold. I can't remember the specific stat line, but it was around 1-15 in the third quarter. We hit a buzzer beater to win the game, but the refs called it off (I actually have the video proof that we got it off before the buzzer). We went to OT, missed a bunch of opportunities. Went to a second OT, Martell broke his foot again. Went to a third OT and missed two wide open threes to win the game. The whole city was wrapped up in that game; lots on the line, lots of college coaches ... As a 17-year-old kid, it was really mentally draining. We ended up playing Cleveland in a winner-to-state game. They were a really good and athletic team; I think they were #6 in state. We'd beat them twice already that year. We were up 7 with a minute to go and missed all of our free throws in the last minute and lost in OT. It felt like a perfect storm working against us.

If you can't tell ... It still stings. We had two other guys go D-1 from that team and a bunch of guys that played D-2 and D-3 ball.

At least you had some experience vis a vis the '06 GU/UCLA Sweet 16 game. Donny Daniels said about 12 things had to happen down the stretch (i.e. good breaks for UCLA/bad breaks for GU) for the outcome to end up the way it did. Part of what makes sports great (particularly when it happens in your favor: i.e. see Kyle Stanley's comeback win in Phoenix eloquently described in a guboards post a coupla years ago).

Angelo Roncalli
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Wait a second. Wasn't 2005 the year Martell won MVP of Metro. And, wasn't it the season that Martell was dominated by Carter Edwards in the games against Blanchet? :)

Zag 77
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Little League World Series is during summer vacation.

Gonzaga Prep has 624 students in grades 10-12. Garfield has 1425. If they have a magnet for gifted students, then they sure better have a significant number of merit Scholars, or I would be disaapointed as a taxpayer.

seacatfan
02-27-2014, 12:31 PM

I can understand that. My Sr. year of high school we weren't particularly good, but we ended up in a multiple way tie where 2 out of the 3 teams would go to district. We won a coin toss, so we were in the first play in game. We lost that, then had another chance. Lost that too. I was never a star player, but towards the end of that season my minutes dwindled to almost nothing. That was a bitter feeling sitting on the bench, watching the last minutes of my high school career tick of the clock, knowing my team was going to lose and knowing I didn't even get a chance to help us win. It does sting.

Speaking of Hawes I found myself standing right next to him one time. I'm all of 5-7. Bit of a height disparity. My roommate was laughing his a** off. He was still in high school but had signed w/ UW and was dating one of the volleyball players at the time. So was Brockman, he was also there as well as Romar. A small crowd was gathered back behind Heck Ed to welcome the volleyball team back home after winning the '05 National Title. That was a cool evening.

KOzag08
02-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Wait a second. Wasn't 2005 the year Martell won MVP of Metro. And, wasn't it the season that Martell was dominated by Carter Edwards in the games against Blanchet? :)

I know he was MVP in '05, but I graduated the year before, so I can't speak to the specifics of that game. I'd say Martell ended up just fine. He hasn't had the NBA career everyone thought he'd have, but at the end of this contract, he'll have played in the NBA for 12 years. Pretty impressive. I live in DC now and Martell remains a good friend. Really good kid. I wish I could say the same for Hawes ...

mgadfly
02-27-2014, 02:20 PM

If they finish undefeated they will certainly be in elite company and have an argument for best team in state history.

I'm still partial to 1996 Sehome (Spink) who had the perfect season and won the AAA championship by 39 points. Even as juniors (1995) they were as good as any team we played including Matre Dei (we played them in the Pepperdine tournament championship game), O'Dea who was ranked nationally and beat Sehome in the 1995 state tournament, and the Franklin Quakers (who beat us for the 95 state championship).