PDA

View Full Version : Grippi: Daye was a "cancer"

Zag 77
02-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Pretty shocking statement. Vince Grippi is the former reporter at the Spokesman-Review who used to cover Wazzu sports. He is retired but still writes a column online and is frequently on the Patchin, Lukens & Osso radio show. They were having a fairly common discussion about Wazzu and GU players who opted to leave early for the NBA draft like Morrison, Klay Thompson, etc. The discussion was about how their former teams did without them. Grippi said in Daye's case, GU was fortunate that he left because he was a "cancer" on the team and GU was better off without him. I know Vince and he is not given to making wild statements, so that one really shocked me.

He also said DeAngelo Casto left Wazzu a few years ago because he had flunked out and had no choice but to go pro. It was not necessarily because his girlfriend had a baby.

northsidezagfan
02-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Did he give any reason why he thought that?

jazzdelmar
02-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Credible.

cjm720
02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
He sure could play though.

former1dog
02-26-2014, 08:37 AM
I really don't like old retired guys coming out and talking about the antics of kids who are under the drinking age, especially when its really impossible for them to have first hand knowledge of events or circumstances.

Its very unprofessional of this individual to air dirty laundry years later. Perhaps he should un retire and go to work for the National Enquirer.

former1dog
02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Let me add to this thread a little Biblical advice. I want all of you folks who were perfect angels as 19 and 20 year old college students to step up and start throwing stones at Austin Daye and for that matter the rest of our student athlete's at Gonzaga.

As for me, I live in a glass house. When I was a student athlete at GU, I worked my ass off and tried really hard to represent GU the best that I could... BUT, I made some pretty big mistakes also. I'm sure glad some retired reporter dude isn't around to spread rumors about me 25 years later.

Zags11
02-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Tidbits I didnt know.

zagfan24
02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
It's a crap statement for several reasons. First and foremost, that metaphor is overused and I would be happy if it went away entirely. Secondly, it's way past being noteworthy...Daye has been gone for several years now so there's not point in discussing it. Third, I think GU did just fine with Daye there so if there was a problem, it clearly wasn't of such a magnitude that it tore the team apart. Finally (though I'm sure there are a host of other reasons), like F1D said...Daye was at GU as a freshman and sophomore. He was a young man with a lot of growing up to do, like we all were at that age, and it seems very unfair to level such a harsh critique that Daye probably has no intention to respond to (nor should he).

Zag 77
02-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Grippi made the comment in the course of a longer discussion about how teams recover/don't recover when players leave early for the NBA. The comment about Daye sounded like he was saying something that the other panelists were familiar with. In any event, nobody challenged him when he said it. I did not get the impression he was talking about any one incident that Daye may or may not have been involved with, as much as a personality thing.

Mr Vulture
02-26-2014, 08:53 AM
A "cancer" is a bit heavy, I think, although I do think that Daye had issues with containing his emotions/frustrations while here. Now granted, he was only 18-19 years old so that is to be expected. I wouldn't say he was one of my favorite players here but he was very talented. I really think he would have been best served spending another year at GU but I don't think he was a divisive player by any means..which is what I would say "cancer" is.

Zagceo
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
It's a crap statement for several reasons. First and foremost, that metaphor is overused and I would be happy if it went away entirely. Secondly, it's way past being noteworthy...Daye has been gone for several years now so there's not point in discussing it. Third, I think GU did just fine with Daye there so if there was a problem, it clearly wasn't of such a magnitude that it tore the team apart. Finally (though I'm sure there are a host of other reasons), like F1D said...Daye was at GU as a freshman and sophomore. He was a young man with a lot of growing up to do, like we all were at that age, and it seems very unfair to level such a harsh critique that Daye probably has no intention to respond to (nor should he).

I always wondered how a kid like Daye from UCLA genes from Irvine,Ca would fit into Spokane,Wa. I guess he had some growing pains. I'm not surprised.

I will say this congratulations to coach Few for getting him to GU. He was fun to watch even if it was for only 2 years.

LongIslandZagFan
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I always got the feeling both he and his parents felt he was above the program to an extent. Not sure why, just always had the feeling.

But I do take the comment with a bit of a grain of salt.

Here is a question.... does Daye ever come back to GU?

BroncoZAG615
02-26-2014, 09:00 AM
F1D said it best but the Grippi comment, in my estimation, is classless and unnecessary.

Daye has returned to Spokane to see the staff and players several times since graduating. Have a hard time seeing a 'cancer' that was apparently bad for the program deciding to come back or being welcome back.

northsidezagfan
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
I always got the feeling both he and his parents felt he was above the program to an extent. Not sure why, just always had the feeling.

But I do take the comment with a bit of a grain of salt.

Here is a question.... does Daye ever come back to GU?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/12/austin-daye.jpg

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2008/03/01/2004254324.jpg

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2011/06/25/srx_Hoopfest_Gonzaga_NBA_t600.jpg?856ec300371e7eb6 c68d4b6246323600dd72ab5f

LongIslandZagFan
02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
F1D said it best but the Grippi comment, in my estimation, is classless and unnecessary.

Daye has returned to Spokane to see the staff and players several times since graduating. Have a hard time seeing a 'cancer' that was apparently bad for the program deciding to come back or being welcome back.

Thanks for the info on him visiting that means my grain of salt is even bigger now.... although I do have to note... he didn't graduate... sorry to be a stickler on that one.

former1dog
02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I've got say this little tidbit has got me riled up for the reasons previously stated and that for some reason, some folks have had a problem with Austin Daye since he left here early and can't seem to let it go.

Austin made a smart financial decision to leave early and play in the NBA. Austin was a fantastic college basketball player. He occasionally had reactions to calls on the court that were exactly like one of his mentors, David Pendergraff. Oddly, people seem anxious to put Austin in a bad light due to those reactions but would never cast David in that same light despite the fact they were identical in this regard.

I wish Austin would have stayed also, but he ultimately made the right decision. Leave it be for God's sake.

vandalzag
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Credible.

Why do you think so?

Grippi made the comment in the course of a longer discussion about how teams recover/don't recover when players leave early for the NBA. The comment about Daye sounded like he was saying something that the other panelists were familiar with. In any event, nobody challenged him when he said it. I did not get the impression he was talking about any one incident that Daye may or may not have been involved with, as much as a personality thing.

I will start by saying I did not hear the interview so I am going just by Zag77 recap. I think that Cancer is the wrong way to describe it. Did Daye fall lockstep into everything the staff wanted no. Did he have a goal of being the focus of the team's offense and wanting to leave for the NBA early, yes. So did Ammo, and I would not consider him a Cancer.
I think a Cancer would be somebody that divides a team or is so set on his own agenda that the team suffers because of it. If it is based on his facial expressions and reactions to being called for a foul then there is a pretty good list of Zags that could be called that. Now if he is referring the Daye's parents that is another matter. But I do not think a "Cancer" would be welcome back to the program during subsequent off seasons, nor would he be referred to in a positive manner by the staff.
Comparing him to Casto is a non-starter. Casto had a long history of garbage going back to his High School years, he would have been the poster boy for being a Cancer. His early departure from WSU was caused by a long list of events, that included grades, drug issues, etc...
As far as GU being better off, that is really hard to say unless they are trying to say that Daye staying could have had roster implications, like not getting the likes of EH, KO, Bol Kong or Will Foster's minutes being cut. I do think that if GU gets Harris and has Daye on that team they are a 4 seed or better and do not run into the Cuse in 2nd game.

The other panelists are not GU "insiders"(unless things have changed recently GU coaches rarely appear on the show) so you really should take the former Coug reporter and their accounts with a big grain of salt. There is far more "people in the know" posting on this board. And when it comes to Patchin his knowledge of the game and sports in general has been reduced complaining and saying "are you kidding me" 15-20 times per show. I have found that show really hard to listen to, with the exception of Osso and when John Blanchette makes an appearance.

SWZag
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
I've got say this little tidbit has got me riled up for the reasons previously stated and that for some reason, some folks have had a problem with Austin Daye since he left here early and can't seem to let it go.

Austin made a smart financial decision to leave early and play in the NBA. Austin was a fantastic college basketball player. He occasionally had reactions to calls on the court that were exactly like one of his mentors, David Pendergraff. Oddly, people seem anxious to put Austin in a bad light due to those reactions but would never cast David in that same light despite the fact they were identical in this regard.

I wish Austin would have stayed also, but he ultimately made the right decision. Leave it be for God's sake.

Not only about Austin, but about Few, David Stockton and others. It's the same formula and it does get old, I agree. Decisions and actions are made for reasons beyond our knowledge.

Zags11
02-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Never had issue with daye. Ever.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Never had issue with daye. Ever.

+1

Zag 77
02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Grippi was the S-R reporter assigned to the Cougars, just as Jim Meehan is assigned to cover GU basketball. Grippi had at least as much respect in sportswriting circles as Meehan has.

I just mentioned Dee Casto not as a comparison to Daye, but because I had never publically heard that he had flunked out of Wazzu and the decision to not return to Wazzu was made for him. That was a small news item that was revealed in the discussion.

I don't think Patchin was even there that show since he was getting ready to call an EWU game. My recollection is that the conversation among Grippi, Osso and Lukens started when talking about Ken Bone and how he has been crippled at Wazzu by guys who left early, and then comparing how GU had been affected by guys who left early.

bartruff1
02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
According to the system based upon live broadcast revenue in O'Bannon's antitrust lawsuit.....Daye would have received $22, 640 from Gonzaga in 2007.... but $150,058 had he played at UW.

sittingon50
02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I also know Vince & this surprises me a bit. Does not jive with everything I ever heard quoted from Few. As an ex-Coach, I would certainly believe it about his family, extended or otherwise.

And I really get tired of all the Daye comments over the years about how he acted on the court. Based on those same standards, Pendo & Ammo didn't commit a single foul in their collective 7 years wearing the Gonzaga uniform.

A real double standard, IMO.

ZagsZombieNation
03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Daye entering the draft in 2009 allowed Elias Harris to come in and start Harris right away, which we all agree was beneficial in the long term for the Zags. Although it could just as easily be said that if Daye returned to GU for the 2009-10 that Harris would've started at the 3, with Gray at the 2, Bouldin the 1, and Sacre the 5.

cjm720
03-10-2014, 09:44 AM
God help Angel Nunez, as he displays the same type of emotion as Daye did...

ZAGLAWQB
03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Thought staff did a positive job with him knowing his(and families/advisors) goals were extremely short term...the real question is whether his pro career would have been enhanced by playing one or even two more years. Face it, all he has done is pick up a check.