PDA

View Full Version : Does Bell just need an adjustment?

montanazag88
02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Everyone knows Bell can be an incredibly accurate shooter. When he misses, he only misses by a small margin and his shots seem to rim out or toggle in the cylinder before bouncing out.

Don't know if any other former shooting guards on this board have noticed, but it appears Gary is floating on his jumper, particularly when he misses. Floating is something only the best shooters in the game can do and still make shots. However, most excellent shooters find a way to go straight up from long range.

Just a thought....I would think they are working with Gary on this, but he's shot this way since he arrived. I can't help thinking about how high his percentage would go if he improved his vertical stability.

CDC84
02-26-2014, 08:38 AM
The thing that I am most concerned about with Gary are all the driving opportunities he passes up. So many times when he gets the ball on the perimeter his defender is off balance because they fear his jumper. Instead of driving it, he passes the ball to someone else. He needs to be aggressive and attack immediately. It's not as though he doesn't have a mid range game or an ability to finish around the rim. And if someone fouls him, he's a tremendous foul shooter. He's missing out on a lot of easy points.

WallaWallaZag
02-26-2014, 08:50 AM
The thing that I am most concerned about with Gary are all the driving opportunities he passes up. So many times when he gets the ball on the perimeter his defender is off balance because they fear his jumper. Instead of driving it, he passes the ball to someone else. He needs to be aggressive and attack immediately. It's not as though he doesn't have a mid range game or an ability to finish around the rim. And if someone fouls him, he's a tremendous foul shooter. He's missing out on a lot of easy points.

this just goes to his overall lack of aggressiveness...even when he is being offensive-minded, it is hunting out 3 point shots. his driving game has all but disappeared....have the myriad of injuries simply taken a toll or has coaching played a part...who knows???

hooter73
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
He needs sleep, I can guarantee that ;)

Honestly he has the tools, but just has never really shown the mindset to be a first line of attack, foot constantly down type of player, I think at this point people need to just take him for the incredibly gifted player he is and not lament so much on what they thought he could have or should have been. If he's ok with how he plays then we should be happy to have him. It is what it is.

Zag 77
02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
"Adjustment" is the term my chiropractor uses. Honestly, I used to think it was voodoo, but he really does help.

vandalzag
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Agreed he is at his best attacking all the way to the rim. He is strong to contact and is solid a the line. If we get him back to that mindset things will change for everybody.

Reborn
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree that Gary needs to attack the rim more often, and IMO he has been doing that much better in the last two games, but he's missing every shot on the inside. Just hoping that soon those shots will fall. I'm not sure of how good his hand is. If he's afraid of getting it hurt again then I can understand why he may have some fear of driving toward the basket. It get's pretty rough in there. For now I'm happy he's driving to the hoop, and hope that those shots will begin to fall this week.

palmerda
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
If only we could locate the Gary Bell from the Ohio State game of three years ago. He was hunting machine that day.

seacatfan
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Bell got off to such a strong start his freshman year. I thought he was going to be a star at GU. I think some people forget how good he was. In the NCAA Tourney game against Ohio St., he more than held his own, in fact he might've been the best player on the floor that game. That was a talented Ohio St. team that went to the Final 4.

Seems like Bell is snake bit with injuries. Last year was up and down but seemed like a bit of regression from his first year. This year he got off to a really good start, but then it was back to up and down, and injury again. Now he's approaching the end of his Jr. season and running out of time to fulfill all the potential he flashed that first year. (I thought much the same about Pangos and thought the 2 were going to go down as one of the best backcourt duos at GU ever, but it probably isn't going to come to fruition)

zag67
02-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I guess I will differ and say he is a star. Except for the time out and recovering from injury, he has been the best defensive player on this years team. Also I believe we would have beaten Wichita if he had not been injured in that game. Can he get better? Yes. He also makes his share of threes and is able to tAke it to the rim. Now, can he do more? Yes, but he is a super team player.

Angelo Roncalli
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
this just goes to his overall lack of aggressiveness...even when he is being offensive-minded, it is hunting out 3 point shots. his driving game has all but disappeared....have the myriad of injuries simply taken a toll or has coaching played a part...who knows???

Are you suggesting that he has been coached not to attack the basket when he has his defender on his heels? I think not.

jim77
02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Injuries have taken their toll on the guy but, he appears to me to be entering the jungle...its open season time.

zag944
02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
As much as we say we want Gary to be more aggressive on offense, I watch him go out there and play his butt off on defense. He kept Haws in check the whole BYU game and held him to his 2nd lowest total of the season, then he went and played even with Johnny Dee two nights later. I feel like its really asking a lot to want him to also be the star he is capable of being on offense too.

A lot of the greats in the NBA (Kobe, LeBron) are fantastic defenders who make the 1st Team All defense every single year. Yet they almost never guard the other team's best players. It's hard work!

GorgeZag
02-26-2014, 12:08 PM
If he doesn't change some things, he's going to join Heytvelt at the top of the "should have been a star" list. Injuries and mental things kept both of them from being monsters.

CDC84
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Seems like Bell is snake bit with injuries. Last year was up and down but seemed like a bit of regression from his first year. This year he got off to a really good start, but then it was back to up and down, and injury again. Now he's approaching the end of his Jr. season and running out of time to fulfill all the potential he flashed that first year. (I thought much the same about Pangos and thought the 2 were going to go down as one of the best backcourt duos at GU ever, but it probably isn't going to come to fruition)

Another factor might be the wear and tear of being the team's only true defensive stopper on the perimeter, although it's looking like Kyle Dranginis next year might provide Bell some relief if he starts at small forward (which I expect him to). At the college level, you ideally want a wing in your starting lineup who, while he might have some offensive skills, is really more of a defensive stopper. I understand that there are many players like Michael Jordan who dominate on both ends of the floor, but at this level, and at a place like Gonzaga, those players are extremely difficult to land. Gary is too offensively skilled for him to expend so much energy chasing Johnny Dee and Tyler Haws all over the floor. I have to believe the wear and tear of running through all those screens and getting constantly bumped doesn't help his offensive game or mindset.

CDC84
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
If he doesn't change some things, he's going to join Heytvelt at the top of the "should have been a star" list. Injuries and mental things kept both of them from being monsters.

I'm afraid Heytvelt is in a class of his own when it comes to that.

Gary from the get go was going to have a hard time making it in the NBA unless he developed point guard skills. There was always going to be a ceiling no matter what due to him being an undersized shooting guard. People need to keep in mind that he was generally rated in the 70's as a recruit. Gary wasn't even rated as high as Steven Gray or Matt Bouldin w/ Rivals. He was not a univeral top 50 guy like Austin Daye.

As for Heytvelt...look, I don't mean to run him underneath the bus, but just imagine if you gave JH the mentality of one of his ex-teammates - a guy named David Pendergraft. Just gave him Pendo's work ethic, love of the game and basketball IQ. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

BobZag
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
A tune-up might be in order.

http://speednik.com/files/2013/02/work2.jpg

seacatfan
02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm afraid Heytvelt is in a class of his own when it comes to that.

Gary from the get go was going to have a hard time making it in the NBA unless he developed point guard skills. There was always going to be a ceiling no matter what due to him being an undersized shooting guard. People need to keep in mind that he was generally rated in the 70's as a recruit. Gary wasn't even rated as high as Steven Gray or Matt Bouldin w/ Rivals. He was not a univeral top 50 guy like Austin Daye.

As for Heytvelt...look, I don't mean to run him underneath the bus, but just imagine if you gave JH the mentality of one of his ex-teammates - a guy named David Pendergraft. Just gave him Pendo's work ethic, love of the game and basketball IQ. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Kinda painful to think about. He was pretty much living up to his potential at the beginning of his RS soph year. More than held his own against Carolina's Burger Boys (Hansbrough and Wright) back in NYC. Then came mushroomgate. And injuries. And weight gain. He was pretty good his last year, but still never got back to being the player he once was. Sigh.

Zagger
02-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I kinda/sorta feel like it is the Team that needs the tweaking - as a whole. They're good - they may be all on the same page but they need to be on the same letter, same word, same sentence, ..... yadda, yadda. They seem to be waiting for something to happen ..... rather than making it happen. Unless they come into the Pacific game with a kick ass attitude Pacific is going to be in it more than they ought to.
I really like this team a lot though and think that it is only a matter of time before they get it in gear. I'm hoping that that gear gets kicked in before Las Vegas.

MDABE80
02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Every time a college athlete has a baby, there are demands outside of basketball. Fractures your attention as well. I suspect this is a large component. You just cannot take a vaca from the new lil ones. Tired a lot of the time. Distracted most of the time. It changes a guy.as it should.

Ekrub
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Are you suggesting that he has been coached not to attack the basket when he has his defender on his heels? I think not.

Few is having a down year

Unbiased
02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
The weight gain did Heyvelt no good for sure.

Baseline
02-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Gary doesn't have the best handles and when he starts pressing he makes mistakes. It just has to come to him and that typically isn't what we all wont. I'm happy with his defense.

Ezag
02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Gary doesn't have the best handles and when he starts pressing he makes mistakes. It just has to come to him and that typically isn't what we all wont. I'm happy with his defense.

I think Bell has turf toe

Mantua
02-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Everyone knows Bell can be an incredibly accurate shooter. When he misses, he only misses by a small margin and his shots seem to rim out or toggle in the cylinder before bouncing out.

Don't know if any other former shooting guards on this board have noticed, but it appears Gary is floating on his jumper, particularly when he misses. Floating is something only the best shooters in the game can do and still make shots. However, most excellent shooters find a way to go straight up from long range.

Just a thought....I would think they are working with Gary on this, but he's shot this way since he arrived. I can't help thinking about how high his percentage would go if he improved his vertical stability.

A lot of adjustments need to be made. I'd really like to see Gary Bell reach his potential especially because he's one of my favorites. I have mentioned before that he is probably the most burdened player in the small lineup. I wish we had more information about how much individual coaching goes on these days. We never really know if players are completely healthy, but I agree that GBJ must be exhausted.

WallaWallaZag
02-26-2014, 07:35 PM

i'm suggesting that coaches have been on him to hunt his shot so much (the 3 point variety) that he has become hesitant to drive because he is looking for opportunities to shoot instead. i also think the coaches have been on him to develop a floater so much that he no longer takes it all the way to the rim like he did his freshman year and in hs...obviously guesses on my part, but educated ones.

slam dunk
02-27-2014, 02:58 AM
You can't change a tigers stripes. Gary will always be Gary. Better a defensive gem then an offensive weapon

bartruff1
02-27-2014, 06:40 AM
He is a terrific player and a even better team mate......he has defended against the cream of college basketball and at the same time maintained a double digit scoring average making game winning plays, excelling at the free throw line ect.....and NEVER puts a towel over his head.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2014, 07:49 AM
didn't an adjustment just go down? I thought that was what was happening, that Gary was tasked with hunting more and being more aggressive on O.

Vanzagger
02-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Probably not a small forward for Whitworth U. But when you can get away with playing guys out of position and have lowered expectations to begin with, why not?

Zag79
02-28-2014, 02:28 AM
He is a terrific player and a even better team mate......he has defended against the cream of college basketball and at the same time maintained a double digit scoring average making game winning plays, excelling at the free throw line ect.....and NEVER puts a towel over his head.

And if he did put a towel on his head because it was his style or "thing"? The guy with the towel on his head would probably put up comparable numbers in his own right with the same PT. More importantly, the guy who puts a towel on his head is the same guy who gets excited for and cheers with the "nobodies" on the team if you will. Plays hard no matter what. Seems like a good dude to me, towel or no towel... Odd to have to even type that.

bartruff1
02-28-2014, 05:01 AM
You may have read a lot more into that statement than I intended. I have no problem with Coleman's attitude, I think it has been excellent. The point I was trying to make was that it is risky to speculate about body language... I don't. I have been posting here for a while and seldom if ever criticize a player. I assume they are doing their best.

I will only add that with his remarkable skills, IMO Coleman would be a absolute lock down perimeter defender and he has been showing that and playing more under control. My assumption is that the Coaches know who should be playing.

I am not a coach and even if I was I wouldn't second guess them. I think they want to win and know how to win much better than the fans. " The best players play, that is the way it will always be " (or something like that)....Larry Bird.

montanazag88
03-13-2014, 12:12 AM
It appears Bell has made adjustments, is more healthy, and is more aggressive, as many have pointed out in this thread. I personally believe he eliminated his "floating" left or right on threes for the most part during the conference tourney. As a result, his scoring is up, which opened up the defense for the others to drive or shoot threes, IMO. it could be said his three pointer against the zone late in the 2nd half against BYU was the "game changing shot" that allowed Few's "preserve the win" strategy with 9 minutes to go to ultimately work.

titopoet
03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
Maybe we fans need the adjustment. March Madness, time to believe.

23zagmd
03-13-2014, 08:06 AM
I feel like we will all wake up one day when the season ends and there will be some talk about some injury limiting GBJ's explosiveness and his holding back his offensive ability.......there are times when he looks like he's stuck in the ABA or moving like and old man.

I'm sorry, something has not been right with him physically for a very long time. Maybe since he was a Freshmen. You don't go, when you're 20, from super explosive and rising above everyone to struggling to get to the basket with no lift. Maybe at 35, not at 20!

Mantua
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
I feel like we will all wake up one day when the season ends and there will be some talk about some injury limiting GBJ's explosiveness and his holding back his offensive ability.......there are times when he looks like he's stuck in the ABA or moving like and old man.

I'm sorry, something has not been right with him physically for a very long time. Maybe since he was a Freshmen. You don't go, when you're 20, from super explosive and rising above everyone to struggling to get to the basket with no lift. Maybe at 35, not at 20!

Great point.

We often find out about injuries long after the fact. I wonder how much he has been fatigued by recent fatherhood this year.

Oregonzagnut
03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
It all depends on how you look at it. Gary Bell is conservative. Just like his coach, and just like the entire team. However, Gary has yet to make a game winner buzzer beater. He's ALWAYS patient and just like Few, that can become a fault when what is needed is decisiveness and taking a chance.