PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dower is #9

LongIslandZagFan
02-25-2014, 01:03 PM
As of this week Sam is #9 in D1 hoops in FG%.

Ran across that while looking for team stats.

That is all.

seacatfan
02-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Impressive.

gonzagafan62
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Like I have been saying most of conference play, he is trying to will this team to the NCAA tournament.

gozagswoohoo
02-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Wow.

Kiddwell
02-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Sam I Am is, hands down, this year's team MVP and POY. He is the Dower Of Power!

...and now some flowers, Big Sam! :adored:

:]

gonzagafan62
02-25-2014, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMQcQiL8IM

Oregonzagnut
02-25-2014, 04:28 PM
This is proof positive that if Sam Dower can stay out of foul trouble and if our PGs are committed to playmakers rather than shooting guards, the WCC tournament is ours. Go down low regularly, kick out occasionally and try to get our inside outside offense lethal again.

Dower can be the spark and in fact, Dower can start to be that emotional leader too.

Dower Power indeed.

Chicken Ball
02-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Agree. When he's in, Dower needs to get at least a touch in every half court possession.

Zags11
02-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Dower has been solid.

WallaWallaZag
02-26-2014, 08:26 AM
as i posted in another thread...imo, dower needs to be the go to guy on this team instead of pangos. he's obviously not as good, but dower needs to be utilized like kelly o was last year at this point in time. what holds sam back is he doesn't handle the ball as well as olynyk, therefore his driving game is weak by comparison.

seacatfan
02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
as i posted in another thread...imo, dower needs to be the go to guy on this team instead of pangos. he's obviously not as good, but dower needs to be utilized like kelly o was last year at this point in time. what holds sam back is he doesn't handle the ball as well as olynyk, therefore his driving game is weak by comparison.

Dower is OK driving. For Olynk it was like taking candy from babies. A legit 7-footer who was a good enough 3 point shooter that you had to guard him on the arc, who just happened to be a guard before he hit a growth spurt, so blow-by drives of the other team's biggest player was simplicity for him.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
According to KenPom using the 40% of minutes threshold... Sam Dower has the #1 offensive rating in the WCC this year @ 127.5. As a side note this is based on at least 20% of possessions used.

Hard to believe SD logged only 6 mins against Wichita State last year.

ZagaZags
02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Sam Dower is clearly our POY/MVP.

Ekrub
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
He's good.

ZagaZags
02-26-2014, 09:43 PM
We all have our favorite players over the years, Sam is my favorite on this team. I really hate senior years. Gary Bell will be my favorite next season and I will feel the same way.
Gary Bell Jr. should be the WCC defensive player of the year.

maynard g krebs
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Statsheet has SD tied for 34th at 60.7, and PK tied for 65th at 58.8

DixieZag
02-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Statsheet has SD tied for 34th at 60.7, and PK tied for 65th at 58.8

Does the statsheet have trends Maynard?

I would like to see his trends b/c I am near certain giving It the eyeball test that Sam in one of the few that are rising/improving as the schedule gets deeper into the conference year. Important to the team to get guys peaking at just the right time - - Sam is. ..

maynard g krebs
02-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Does the statsheet have trends Maynard?

I would like to see his trends b/c I am near certain giving It the eyeball test that Sam in one of the few that are rising/improving as the schedule gets deeper into the conference year. Important to the team to get guys peaking at just the right time - - Sam is. ..

I just looked at statsheet.com's fg% leaders, but you appear to be right, based on the fact in the last 5 games that he has shot 34/53, around 64%, and averaged 16.4 pts, and more importantly imo 10.0 rebounds per game.

SteelCityZag
02-27-2014, 06:10 AM
This is proof positive that if Sam Dower can stay out of foul trouble and if our PGs are committed to playmakers rather than shooting guards, the WCC tournament is ours. Go down low regularly, kick out occasionally and try to get our inside outside offense lethal again.

Dower can be the spark and in fact, Dower can start to be that emotional leader too.

Dower Power indeed.

This is a good point and a strategy that has worked well in most games where it has been tried. The way that it has not worked, I believe, and what has resulted in a few of our losses, is when defenses attempt to front our bigs and pressure our guards so that they cannot get the entry pass into our bigs in good scoring position. This, imho, is the textbook way to beat this Gonzaga team, and is a flaw that has remain unfixed going back to the Witchita State loss.

The question to me is, will it be addressed, and what changes in lineup, strategy, or offensive sets will be put in place when teams go to this strategy.

Vanzagger
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Valency. Hey it seems like it's been a while. Welcome back. It's harder for me to believe KO redshirted the year before. And Spangler would have been asked to.

Maybe this year going small finally catches up with us