PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Recent losses leave Gonzaga in a precarious position as March approaches

Ezag
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
The possibility of failing to reach the second weekend of the NCAA tournament for a fifth straight season is the least of Gonzaga's worries right now.

Three losses in their last five games have left the Zags in tenuous enough position that they should be concerned about simply making the field at all.

Though Gonzaga owns a gaudy 23-6 record, a solid No. 29 RPI and a comfortable lead in the WCC title race, a closer examination of the Zags' resumé reveals some glaring holes. They've suffered two losses to teams well outside the RPI top 100. They haven't defeated a single team that's certain to make the NCAA tournament. Their most noteworthy victories came against WCC rival BYU and fringe bubble teams West Virginia and Arkansas.

more (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/recent-losses-leave-gonzaga-precarious-position-march-approaches-181335787--ncaab.html)

Oregonzagnut
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I agree with that article. Sad but true. And coming from a third party observer who likely is more objective than any of us here, it points to many things have been pointed out on this board over the course of this entire season. We put ourselves in this position and now we have to play our hardest next 5 games of the year.

I do not agree that we "often had to go small". Instead we chose to go small and we played the majority of minutes playing small with Drano and Coleman coming off the bench.

But I do agree with "Where the Zags struggle, however, is defensively and on the glass."

SMC is a decent win as well and no one says anything about that dominating win and people forget we beat BYU easier in the Kennel than we beat San Diego in the Kennel.

We were just a turf toe and broken hand away from being a top 10 team right now. Meaning if we didn't have the injuries, we are undefeated right now in the WCC.