PDA

View Full Version : props to Sam Dower

seacatfan
02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
This season has been fairly up and down and difficult at times. It's been a pleasure watching Dower do what many of us always thought he could do. He waited in the wings a long time for his chance. He had some big games all along the way. I remember him just torching St. Mary's for almost 30 points at Moraga his freshmen year. I thought he was going to join the pantheon of stars at GU after that, but the big breakthrough just didn't come. Another game in particular I remember was his 20 & 10 at Xavier, soph year I think? But this year finally he's been a full time starter and has gotten as many minutes as he can handle due to a thin frontcourt, when injuries and foul trouble didn't interfere. During conference play he's easily been the most consistent Zag and most dependable scorer. At times he makes it look so easy, he's so smooth out there. He has a nice stroke, quick moves to the hoop. He's still left hand dominant but he's come a long way from his freshman year as far as that goes. Good from the FT line. He's had some big rebounding games as well. I'm really happy that he's having a good Senior season. Way to go Dower!

former1dog
02-24-2014, 12:40 PM
+1

Dower has come to play this year and deserves all the accolades we can provide to him. Great job Sam!

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 12:46 PM
I am very proud of Sam Dower. He is trying to will this team to victories. If someone else can step up besides Dower, we will be in good shape.

MDABE80
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Sam's always been a 20/10 guy with his talent level. He just came to us at the wrong time to display his skills. We had a plethora of good bigs at year. I wish he could stay another year. At this clip, he'd be getting some form of AA honors. These past several games, Sam's really played to his potential.

Vanzagger
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Thank you Silky Smooth

ZagaZags
02-24-2014, 02:19 PM
This season has been fairly up and down and difficult at times. It's been a pleasure watching Dower do what many of us always thought he could do. He waited in the wings a long time for his chance. He had some big games all along the way. I remember him just torching St. Mary's for almost 30 points at Moraga his freshmen year. I thought he was going to join the pantheon of stars at GU after that, but the big breakthrough just didn't come. Another game in particular I remember was his 20 & 10 at Xavier, soph year I think? But this year finally he's been a full time starter and has gotten as many minutes as he can handle due to a thin frontcourt, when injuries and foul trouble didn't interfere. During conference play he's easily been the most consistent Zag and most dependable scorer. At times he makes it look so easy, he's so smooth out there. He has a nice stroke, quick moves to the hoop. He's still left hand dominant but he's come a long way from his freshman year as far as that goes. Good from the FT line. He's had some big rebounding games as well. I'm really happy that he's having a good Senior season. Way to go Dower!

Sam Dower is one of my all-time favorite Zags. So glad he picked GU.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm always proud of our seniors, but I'm particularly proud of Sam. He could have stayed home to play Minnesota. He could have transferred when our frontcourt got crowded. Instead, he paid his dues, learned from those around him, and is having a fantastic senior year. It it weren't for that back injury and the light minutes he played when he first returned, he'd be putting up numbers that rival Kelly's from last season. And, IMO, he's putting together a better season than Elias ever had. As is...

Sam: 14.9 points, 60.7% from the floor, 37.5% from three, 7.1 rebounds
Kelly: 17.2 points, 62.9% from the floor, 30.0% from three, 7.3 rebounds

ZagaZags
02-24-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm always proud of our seniors, but I'm particularly proud of Sam. He could have stayed home to play Minnesota. He could have transferred when our frontcourt got crowded. Instead, he paid his dues, learned from those around him, and is having a fantastic senior year. It it weren't for that back injury and the light minutes he played when he first returned, he'd be putting up numbers that rival Kelly's from last season. As is...

If I was an NBA GM, I would give Sam a shot at making my roster.

Zags11
02-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Sam cant rebound. No he can. Sam is a stud, a star for us. Solid yr.

zagfan24
02-24-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm always proud of our seniors, but I'm particularly proud of Sam. He could have stayed home to play Minnesota. He could have transferred when our frontcourt got crowded. Instead, he paid his dues, learned from those around him, and is having a fantastic senior year. It it weren't for that back injury and the light minutes he played when he first returned, he'd be putting up numbers that rival Kelly's from last season. And, IMO, he's putting together a better season than Elias ever had. As is...

He's also shooting 82% from the line...really a huge bonus for a big guy like Sam.

I have always appreciated Sam's calm, steady demeanor. I think a team benefits from having a mix of fiery guys along with more laid-back people like Sam who are crucial for weathering a storm, IMO. Not that Sam isn't extremely competitive, but he certainly is able to keep his composure which is an important leadership skill.

Sam has been rock solid for the entire season, and really for the majority of his career. The last few months he has turned it up a notch, though, and even with the recent losses he is a big reason Gonzaga has stayed atop the WCC this season. I will miss having Sam on the GU roster and agree completely that we are lucky he had the patience and mental toughness to stick it out and wait for his time to shine.

Reborn
02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Sam has had a great year, and I look forward to more of it in the games ahead. It ain't over for Sam. He's playing better than Elias Harris in my opinion. And that says a lot. The main problem with this team is Pangos. If he had scored 16- 17 ppg then it would have been a much much better team. One thing that can not be controlled is injuries. To bad it happened to such a great guy like Pangos. He's one heck of a gutsy, unselfish player. Not sure if we would have won the conference title without him. I wish both these really good players in the games ahead.

Go Zags!!!