PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Show noon Monday

Section 116
02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
In case Gamagin doesn't post regarding the show today this is what I got. Few said BYU is 14-1 at home this year with one loss to Iowa St, a good team they could have beaten. Provo is a tough place to play with 20000 and I can only think of Syracuse and Rupp arena with a comparable crowd. We went in there last year with maybe our best team ever and barely survived. We did a horrendous job on the offensive end, guys have to step up and make shots. BYU made a nice adjustment on our guards when they circled back for the three, still we had some looks and our guys just didn't hit "em". Down low we gotta deliver the ball to the right place and when we did do that our guys fumbled it out of bounds of just dropped the ball and turned it over. BYU is one of the better offensive teams in the country. They will shoot whenever, which is fine when they go in but as you saw earlier in the year they didn't go in and they lost.

USD: This is three games in a row they kept things close, they had a shot to beat San Diego St, they usually run the shot clock down and they did in the 2nd half. They are a veteran team. Johnny Dee has grown. Anderson is either hit or miss but he was very effective on Kevin, but what really let us down was our defense. They hit 4 closely guarded threes with one or two seconds left on the shot clock. Duda hit one over Sam's outstretched arm, Kevin was in Johnny Dee's face and he hit one from 25 feet. They usually send 4 or 5 guys back on defense, they are not committed to offensive rebounds. We shot a lot of runners, floaters and contested shots. We kept talking about it but our guys kept taking the tough shots.

The four road games to end are not the two easiest road trips and they just happened to be a the end. SMC is SMC. They will be jacked, it is their senior night. We saw that (the 4 road games to end) when the schedule came out. There is no sense complaining, it is what it is. We had back to back 9 PM games on this trip and that is tough on the guys. We didn't get home until 4:30AM and our guys are tired and we have to take that into consideration. Our teams have typically been good down the stretch in our games but this team struggles with that. We just don't know who is going to be good on a particular night. We just don't have that go to guy this year. Sam is pretty good. We're not generating free throws like we should. We're still 23-6 and kudos to our guys. The league is vastly better from top to bottom and they deserve credit for winning the league again.

A listener question regarding the new format for the WCC tournament and GU have to play three games even considering a 1st or 2nd place finish. Few said he has never been a fan of that. He thinks the top teams should be rewarded for season long work and the the teams at the top should be protected. They should be given the opportunity to accrue good wins and not bad losses. If you can't win the games to finish at the top then you need to go out and recruit. I Know, we have been there.

Matt Santangelo was a guest and Hudson asked him what one of his favorite off court memories was and he said you know in 1999 when Casey made that shot and when Quentin made that runner and we won. And we went in the locker room and we were ecstatic and yelling and jumping around and Coach Monson came in and it was Thursday night and Monson said you know we gotta another game on Saturday and we gotta, we gotta, well I don't know what we gotta do but we'll figure it out. GU had never been there before and Monson was running his hands through his hair and he was trying to figure out what was next and he just couldn't. Santangelo said that was a very special moment in his life.

gozagswoohoo
02-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the recap!

I agree with Few, the top seed (or two) should get some more protection!

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the recap!

I agree with Few, the top seed (or two) should get some more protection!

I also agree, whoohoo, but I also think that if we can't beat the lower end teams, we don't deserve to win the tournament anyway. So either way its not a big deal to me, except the fact of the GU fan in me. I really liked always being in the semi-finals.

CDC84
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
We didn't get home until 4:30AM and our guys are tired and we have to take that into consideration. Our teams have typically been good down the stretch in our games but this team struggles with that.

I realize that this partly a cost cutting measure, but it would be nice if the program could pay for another night at the hotel and just fly commerical on the way back if its too expensive to park the charter overnight at the airport. The Zags don't have to attend class on Sunday.

Zags11
02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Worn out players.

Reborn
02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Great information from the Few interview. The guys DO deserve credit for what they have accomplished this year, especially this year. it's been such a crazy year, with our injuries, and then the weird schedule. I wondered if the late games would affect the team, and I now understand that it did. I believe that. I also totally agree with Few, when he said that this Gonzaga team has a tough time finishing games. In our last 3 losses we were right in the game with 5 min left in the game. For some reason THIS team freezes up and loses confidence down the stress. When Kevin is hurt and unable to assert himself and his game, it has hurt the team. Kyle is a player who is taking shots in the last 5 minutes, but honestly he has NOT proven himself to me. He was definitely one reason we lost at San Diego. I have noted it all season, that imo, Kyle D. lacks confidence, and it definitely shows. And in the game against San Diego his defense and rebounding was horrible. He definitely needs to step up and become a player. I'm not sure what motivates him, but someone needs to.

And finally, the inability of our guards to get to the foul line kills us. It's like they are afraid to go to the basket and shoot runners instead. I hate that shot with these guards? Why? Because they miss almost every time. Dranginis was really hit his runner for awhile, but Saturday night he missed all of them. I hate to say this but GU has the worst guards in the WCC, and I am sure that this has been the case. The real problem is we have guys like Bell and Pangos who were very good guards at one point, and have really, really, really regressed this year. Our guards should be better, much better. They should be the strength of this team, and sadly they just have not stepped up. I hope they are doing some real serious soul-searching because they need it.

bartruff1
02-24-2014, 06:20 PM
I do not believe we have the worst guards in the league.

Reborn
02-24-2014, 06:28 PM

I never thought I'd say that either, but in the last two weeks I'm not so sure any more. If they play up to par they are tops, but when was the last time we saw them gel and play well?

Oregonzagnut
02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Not even the worst. We have 2 of the top 10 guards in the league. But this team and this season is one of the worst personnel managed team Few ever has had. None of it is on the players. AT ALL. It can't be. The development of a surgically precise and effective small guard lineup failed with injuries and the inability to defend the perimeter. and hindsight tells us we had better options to develop for March. Yet, we have only 6 losses. We need to keep it that way.

No choking, no getting more conservative and more micromanaging or complicated. Just go out and defend for 40 minutes, ball hawk and fight for rebounds even if we are battling each other, play our bench, use the fresh legs for continuous defense and rebounding and use common sense to utilize the roles and strengths of each player when needed.

Pretty simple. We get that strategy from all our opponents so it is time to fight fire with fire.

theCOG
02-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi guys,

LONG time lurker...not very active poster. Just wanna say I was at the USD game and it was hard to see a difference between our guards and theirs :/ . Nice to be here with you gentlemen/ladies.

ZAGGED OUT
02-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Reborn are you still on pain meds? Now our guards deserve credit for what they've done this year but two days ago they were a complete embarrassment and a shame to the university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoZags
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Matt Santangelo was a guest and Hudson asked him what one of his favorite off court memories was and he said you know in 1999 when Casey made that shot and when Quentin made that runner and we won. And we went in the locker room and we were ecstatic and yelling and jumping around and Coach Monson came in and it was Thursday night and Monson said you know we gotta another game on Saturday and we gotta, we gotta, well I don't know what we gotta do but we'll figure it out. GU had never been there before and Monson was running his hands through his hair and he was trying to figure out what was next and he just couldn't. Santangelo said that was a very special moment in his life.

10:15 mark for this particular moment (Fewie bailed out Dan). I'd taped this at the time and DarkZagRises put it on youtube a year or two ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZO9j8RBOpg

DixieZag
02-24-2014, 08:27 PM
I love your new sig/quote at the bottom GZ! That is awesome, and I suspect that most of us know the words by heart. Nice job.

As for Few - - it's been said before here that it would be refreshing to hear him come right out and state straight up, "we really made it tough on ourselves, we're doing things that need to be corrected, I need to do a better job of . . . . , we need to do a better job of. . . " - - and for that to come up before all the "BYU such a tough place to play (Iowa State won there, that's indicative that a decent team really ought to be able to beat them) last year's team barely escaped and USD almost beat SDSU and the league is improved over all and we're doing great anyway and the schedule and and and and

I don't know, none of that is wrong, per se but it all leaves a bad taste in the mouth compared to the "play angry" guys we're reading about and it smacks of exactly why we're so messed up at the end of these games, no will to reach out and grab it, no "we're the Zags damn it and we'll rip this "W" right out of your mouth." I will fully admit that this is an emotional response out of disappointment but there's some underlying kernel of something in all that. The last 3 or 4 years Few's teams have really lacked a killer instinct (last year's team in the tournament, not so much the reg year), playing to try to not make a mistake rather than fighting to take a win away from the other team.

This team's problems begin in the head and the coaches need to sit down and try to look at why that might be.

Reborn
02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes I am still on my medications. I'm still awaiting this procedure Friday to take the kidney stones out. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess that they mostly play poorly on the road. Is the conference tournament at home this year? I hope, I hope, I hope.

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I love your new sig/quote at the bottom GZ! That is awesome, and I suspect that most of us know the words by heart. Nice job.

As for Few - - it's been said before here that it would be refreshing to hear him come right out and state straight up, "we really made it tough on ourselves, we're doing things that need to be corrected, I need to do a better job of . . . . , we need to do a better job of. . . " - - and for that to come up before all the "BYU such a tough place to play (Iowa State won there, that's indicative that a decent team really ought to be able to beat them) last year's team barely escaped and USD almost beat SDSU and the league is improved over all and we're doing great anyway and the schedule and and and and

I don't know, none of that is wrong, per se but it all leaves a bad taste in the mouth compared to the "play angry" guys we're reading about and it smacks of exactly why we're so messed up at the end of these games, no will to reach out and grab it, no "we're the Zags damn it and we'll rip this "W" right out of your mouth." I will fully admit that this is an emotional response out of disappointment but there's some underlying kernel of something in all that. The last 3 or 4 years Few's teams have really lacked a killer instinct (last year's team in the tournament, not so much the reg year), playing to try to not make a mistake rather than fighting to take a win away from the other team.

This team's problems begin in the head and the coaches need to sit down and try to look at why that might be.

I agree with you. I don't like Few's comments. Sounds like excuses and acceptance of the status quo. Doesn't give a fan much optimism that things will be different this week.

bartruff1
02-25-2014, 04:46 AM
I really enjoy Few's explanations of what happened ...