PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology update: 2/24

CDC84
02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

8/9 game out west in San Diego vs. George Washington. Winner faces a Brandon Ashley-less Arizona team.

NotoriousZ
02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Friggin' hate the 8-9 game, but it's becoming more likely to happen now. If this team could figure some sh!t out a get on a roll, maybe they could take down a one seed. That would be sweet.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
I would enjoy taking on Arizona, but I am not so sure I want to play GW

MDABE80
02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't think it'll happen but AZ Bigs would ruin us. Those guys are athletic and NBA bound. YIKES! I'd take GW though.

VaBeachZAG
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM

I just want to get in to play somebody, anybody! I do believe we manage to get in (one way or another). I fear the best measure of success for this season is to simply keep the consecutive tournament appearance string alive. Every year I have believed the Zags had a shot at a good, if not great, tournament run; I just don't have that feeling this year. It seems that every year I am proven wrong. Maybe this year I can be proven wrong again??

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I just want to get in to play somebody, anybody! I do believe we manage to get in (one way or another). I fear the best measure of success for this season is to simply keep the consecutive tournament appearance string alive. Every year I have believed the Zags had a shot at a good, if not great, tournament run; I just don't have that feeling this year. It seems that every year I am proven wrong. Maybe this year I can be proven wrong again??

That would be saweeeeeeet!

BULLDOG#1
02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
sometimes i look at these brackets and wonder if we wouldn't be better playing as a lower seed a-la the shockers last year.

siliconzag
02-24-2014, 11:28 AM

This is a wise assessment, gonzagafan62! George Washington is unheralded and they match up very well against teams like Gonzaga. They are masters at milking the clock, limiting posessions, defending the three and playing tough defense and rebounding well. They are a nightmare. Saw them in Anaheim against Creighton. It was Creighton's worst game of the year because GW makes offensive teams play ugly. I think they are a throw back to the days of Slats Gill at Oregon State and Hank Iba at Oklahoma State. The only good shot is an uncontested lay up. They also know who and when to foul. Very good tournament team, IMO

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
This is a wise assessment, gonzagafan62! George Washington is unheralded and they match up very well against teams like Gonzaga. They are masters at milking the clock, limiting posessions, defending the three and playing tough defense and rebounding well. They are a nightmare. Saw them in Anaheim against Creighton. It was Creighton's worst game of the year because GW makes offensive teams play ugly. I think they are a throw back to the days of Slats Gill at Oregon State and Hank Iba at Oklahoma State. The only good shot is an uncontested lay up. They also know who and when to foul. Very good tournament team, IMO

Exactly. They play a lot like the Saint Louis Billikens, who are in my home city so I get to watch GW, SLU, and great defense all the time. I remember beating Florida State in 2010 when they had the best defense in the tournament, however, this is a completely different animal. GW will suffocate you beyond what you can normally handle. And if they can stop Creighton and McDermott (which I know Gonzaga can't do) then hell, we would be in some serious trouble.

B Wayne
02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Clearly we were the weakest 8 last week and now the strongest 9. But one more loss and the Zags can kiss the west coast good bye.

Don't look past GW. Earlier this year the posters on this board predicted 10-15 win over the Dayton Flyers, probably based on name recognition only. GW plays in the same conference, the A 10, which is as tough a conference as there is this year.

Also, comparing this years Zags to WSU shockers is not valid. Last years WSU team was probably even better than this years WSU team. They have lost their two best players , Armistead and Carl Hall (leading rebounder and scorer). They lost several games in December and January last year because of significant injuries. I don't see the same thing happening to the Zags unless Pangos can heal fast.

seacatfan
02-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Gonzaga and Arizona are my 2 favorite teams, so needless to say I would not want them to me matched up in a 1 vs. 8 game. Arizona's offense at times has been bad this year, but they play suffocating defense. I don't think that's a matchup Zags fans would want to see. I think GU's backcourt would struggle.

CDC84
02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
The Zags don't want to see any matchup with a number one seed. That's why they call the 8/9 seed the death seed. They're much better off getting an 11 and facing a 6 and an overrated 3. There is almost always a vulnerable 3 in every tournament.

The only exception might be if GU were an 8 or 9 with Wichita State as the number one. If the Shockers enter the tourney undefeated, they will be very vulnerable to an early round loss, regardless of how good they are (and I think they are better than last year's team that went to the final 4). I think that team is going to enter the tourney without a loss. There's going to be an overwhelming amount of pressure on them going into that dance if that occurs.

That being said, if the Zags don't start playing better, they might not even make it in, and if they catch a break, it'll be one game and out. The backcourt has to start playing better, and the rebounding and defensive lapses need to end.

ZagaZags
02-24-2014, 02:53 PM
The good news is GU will be in the playoffs. 28-6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Oregonzagnut
02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Friggin' hate the 8-9 game, but it's becoming more likely to happen now. If this team could figure some sh!t out a get on a roll, maybe they could take down a one seed. That would be sweet.

As long as the 1 seed is Wichita St, I'll take that grudge match.

kclubfounder
02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
As long as the 1 seed is Wichita St, I'll take that grudge match.

Bingo.

PLEASE grant us an 8/9 in the same region as a #1 Wichita State.

Oh God, please, please, please.

I know I haven't been as good as I should be. I know I've sinned over and over. But please God, if you grant me this one wish I will be SO much better.

I promise.

Thank you for your consideration.

gonwick
02-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AZ would destroy the zags. Like above, Wichita st would be entertaining, unless they crush us, adding to the misery and heartbreak I carry from last year. Screw it, let's shoot for an 11 seed.

JAGzag
02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Honestly I don't know who we match up well against this year. I'm just hoping we make the NCAAs and if we can't make it past the first weekend with a #1 seed - a 8/7 or 11 seed doesn't look too promising.

BULLDOG#1
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
too much negativity on this thread.

The zags aren't playing their best ball right now, but I give them a fighter's chance against anybody. The way they can shoot the 3 and the inside play of Dower and PK are enough to beat anyone. Granted, they could (and have) lose to a lesser team, but it's the tourney and that's why they call it march madness. Year after year we wait to see if this is the year the zags catch fire and make a run -- and this could be the year -- they do have the ponies.

A loss to a lower seed wouldn't completely surprise me this year, nor would a win over a higher (or even #1) seed. Madness, indeed.

CdAZagFan
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
sometimes i look at these brackets and wonder if we wouldn't be better playing as a lower seed a-la the shockers last year.

Agree… I would much rather be a 10-12 seed, then in the 8/9 matchup. The only good thing that may come out of an 8/9 matchup would be a potential rematch with Wichita State.

RenoZag
02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Beat Pacific

Ekrub
02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Our slump is driving down our averages. Maybe they will be driven up as the law of averages play out in the tourney. We knock off a top seed and the whole world smiles.

seacatfan
02-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I would much rather take an 11 or 12 than the 8/9 seed of death or even a 10. Most years #2 seeds aren't much different than #1. Seems like a double digit seed gets to the Sweet 16 or better almost every year, and it's probably rarely a #10 seed.

gonzagafan62
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
I would much rather take an 11 or 12 than the 8/9 seed of death or even a 10. Most years #2 seeds aren't much different than #1. Seems like a double digit seed gets to the Sweet 16 or better almost every year, and it's probably rarely a #10 seed.

Most Successful Lower Seeds in the tournament:

#15: Florida Gulf Coast (Sweet Sixteen)
#14: Cleveland State and Chattanooga (SS)
#13: 6 schools tied for SS berth
#12: Missouri for Elite Eight
#11: George Mason, LSU, and VCU in Final Four
#10: 7 schools tied for Elite Eight
#9: Wichita State Final Four
#8: Villanova National Champions

seacatfan
02-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Arizona had been mired in a shooting and scoring slump for a number of weeks. They appear to have gotten out of it. Beat Colorado on the road and Cal at home both by nearly 30 points last 2 games, scored in the upper 80's. While playing stingy defense. Gonzaga wants absolutely no part of this Arizona team.

Other threads are fretting over whether GU will get an at-large berth if they don't win the WCC Tourney. I understand the overall resume is underwhelming with the lack of quality wins. But then I see teams that are considered on the bubble and are currently last 4 in...and they have NOTHING on their resume. The bubble is extremely weak this year. Unless the Zags meltdown and lose both games this week and first game in the WCC Tourney, they really should be in.