PDA

View Full Version : Pangos: 24/76 FG the past 8 games

CDC84
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
That's 31.5%. 15/46 on his threes (32.6%)

In 6 of those 8 games, Pangos put up nine or fewer shots.

If you go back to the Maui Invitational game tape, you will see a Pangos who moves without the basketball very much like Johnny Dee and Tyler Haws when Stockton is in the game. You will also see a Pangos who absolutely destroyed a highly athletic group of Arkansas guards off the bounce who are much more athletic than anything the WCC has to offer.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Kevin's injuries are not getting better, they are getting worse, regardless of what he is telling the media. If San Diego had faced Gonzaga in November, there is no way that Christopher Anderson frustrates him like he did last night. You also wouldn't be seeing him put up floaters from 8 feet because he's afraid someone will step on the toe or block his shot due to his lack of acceleration.

He's not getting enough shots, and the ones he gets are contested unless a total defensive breakdown occurs.

Problem is, I don't know what Gonzaga can do about it. He's simply can't move without the ball like he used to, so the staff has got to figure out a way to get him more open looks in a way that works within his limitations. Even if he's not shooting, he's got a 2.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and runs the offense better than anyone Gonzaga has. And teams still do have to defend him, because if you leave him wide open, he can stick shots despite the toe.

I guarantee you that come this time next year you will not be seeing Kevin going 24/76 over the course of 8 games. That is, unless he gets hurt again. He's too dang good of a player for this. I honestly felt after Maui that GU might have its 2nd straight first team All American. His play was that good. Against Washington State, Dayton, Chaminade and Arkansas, Kev collected these stats: 31/55 FG (56.3%), 17/29 3 PT (58.6%), 27/30 FT (90.0%). The toe injury happened soon afterwards, and it hasn't been the same since except for a few games where teams played horrendous defense against the Zags (the K2 game against BYU, for example).

jim77
02-23-2014, 10:39 PM
I think KP's performance against Arkansas was one of the best I've seen form any Zag guard in a long time. The kid had upped his game and looked sharp...and moved as well as I've ever seen him. To me the injury is affecting him big time...and it probably isn't helping his confidence either. Being a great 3 shooter like KP is requires consistency in movement...and any little hitch will affect you're accuracy. Its just darn tough to expect to hit at levels he usually does with a bum foot. Its even worse cause its not like he can go all out at practice to work out the kinks. I still think he should NOT start and should be limited to minutes that DON'T jeopardize his future health. Would I set up a play to let him take a last shot to win a game......absolutely.....despite his woes, I still expect his shots to go down and am surprised when they don't.

Vanzagger
02-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Like I said before the Battle In Seattle....let Kevin warm up....then street clothes and on the bench. As many of great things coach Few does, game management and turf toe management are not among them.

We have 3 other capable point guards and talented wings dying for minutes....Hello

scott257
02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Like I said before the Battle In Seattle....let Kevin warm up....then street clothes and on the bench. As many of great things coach Few does, game management and turf toe management are not among them.

We have 3 other capable point guards and talented wings dying for minutes....Hello

There is certainly a hindsight element to all of this. Most of us posting here do not have all of the information that was available to the coaching staff with regard to Kevin's turf toe status. If I knew that sitting him for 4 to 6 games would have resolved the issue, I probably would have chosen to bench him. By most accounts, there is no way to know that would have solved the problem. I think that for all intents and purposes, we have been without Kevin for most of this season anyway as he is not effective (or has not been effective) for most of the games since his injury. But the decision on letting him play through the injury had to be balanced between what he (Kevin) was saying, what the medical folks were saying, the other injuries at the time (with Sam and Gary). Certainly not an ideal situation.

From my perspective, the area that could have been improved was increasing time for Dranginis, Coleman, and Nunez so that there were increased options available to playing Kevin. I am guessing that Few would be forced to start Dranginis if Kevin's injury got to the point where he could not play (I think that isn't really that far off from what he is doing now). If that is the case, these guys should have been getting many more minutes just to prevent a complete let down like we are seeing now.