PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few show, khq6- spokane w/ Heister - running

gamagin
02-23-2014, 05:42 PM
P.1

Hesister: tough week, unable to clinch WCC in Provo or San Diego. Caught up with MF in SDiego sat night and taped his reaction to the S.d. Loss

MF: "We knew going in it was going to be difficult, Provo & SD play everybody tough. USD LOST to SD state by just one point in Dec. And beat Portland.

We knew what we were dealing with. We did not make the plays down the stretch. Conversely we didn't get timely stops.

Our guards took poor shot choices. They kept shooting runners and I don t think we made one. I was Disappointed & talked about it all game. We Gotta adjust to that. We need to drive and get to the free throw line.

" Their guards got to f.t. Lines. Our guards need to show better how their getting fouled ( my worde to the refs). We gotta execute. No turnoverss. We gotta make more Shots on goal and get and make more free throws.

Early on we had poor D and mid of 2nd bad D too. Down the stretch we had chances to win, but we didn't get the D & O rebounds we needed. A bunch of little things piled up and we lost.

gamagin
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
P2
Interview with SD. Last interview of career.

Highlight & talking over film

"Going to miss my time with stocks. We've been together from the start (5 years). KO too ( they shared a house) before he went to some place called the NBA ( smiles). But (GU) has been aremarkable experience. Gu will always be in my heart."

willandi
02-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Maybe get Gray and Olynik back to teach an acting course, for credit! Creative flopping 101! At least Stephen and Kelly were in a play, so they should have some good thespian tutelage!

gamagin
02-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Seems like mostly canned VoiceOver

Fan question: what about sr. Mgrs Jay and Brett ( I think it is)

Player tributes:

SD they are really helpful and do whatever it takes.sometimes I can't sleep so will call ( Brett?) and he will meet me at the gym, day or night.
DS: they don t hear please and thank you enough. They're great. Always there for us.

DB: they come in whenever. We need it. I eat with him ( Jay) and he's helped me work on my game . KP & I work together with Jay all the time. He's like another coach.

Heister: Ryan Edwards is the subway sub of the week. 5 bds & pts in 5 mins at USD.

wnczagfan
02-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks for posting the recap, Gamagin! Although, I choked up a little bit thinking of Dower and Stockton leaving. It seems like they have been there forever, and I have grown fond of them....

gamagin
02-23-2014, 05:56 PM
P.4
Feature on the children of coaches. MF's kid AJ. Sofia Lloyd. Couple I missed names of. All cute. Favorite takeaway-- One kid said of her father: "He doesn't scream that loud at home."

Heister said it was his "last show of the year." Didn't elaborate, but in past years he has gone to Alaska to cover the Iditarod, so maybe that's why he won't be back. Don't know for sure, but there should be two more by my count.

-end-

gamagin
02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
+1

Thanks for posting the recap, Gamagin! Although, I choked up a little bit thinking of Dower and Stockton leaving. It seems like they have been there forever, and I have grown fond of them....

Sometimes it's hard to remember they're still just kids. But you are right, time flies.

Best,

Vanzagger
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
P.1

Hesister: tough week, unable to clinch WCC in Provo or San Diego. Caught up with MF in SDiego sat night and taped his reaction to the S.d. Loss

MF: "We knew going in it was going to be difficult, Provo & SD play everybody tough. USD beat SD state recently. And Portland.

We knew what we were dealing with. We did not make the plays down the stretch. Conversely we didn't get timely stops.

Our guards took poor shot choices. They kept shooting runners and I don t think we made one. I was Disappointed & talked about it all game. We Gotta adjust to that. We need to drive and get to the free throw line.

" Their guards got to f.t. Lines. Our guards need to show better how their getting fouled ( my worde to the refs). We gotta execute. No turnoverss. We gotta make more Shots on goal and get and make more free throws.

Early on we had poor D and mid of 2nd bad D too. Down the stretch we had chances to win, but we didn't get the D & O rebounds we needed. A bunch of little things piled up and we lost.

Did I read that wrong. USD lost to SDST this year.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
+1

Sometimes it's hard to remember they're still just kids. But you are right, time flies.

Best,

Too much fluff, we need answers. Next week Few must appear before a panel comprised of Jim Gray, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Geraldo Rivera, and of course Nancy Grace, and give us answers the we deserve. He owes us the truth as to why he will not play my favorite player_______________(insert name and year) or why he plays my least favorite player______________(insert name and year, may not be a repeat because that would be to odd for even this site to follow). Only then will we finally find out why he thinks it is OK not to win national championships.

gamagin
02-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Van zagger:

Good catch. I fixed it above. Few was talking about how tough usd has been all year despite the so-so record. Something like 7-8 of its losses were by 7 pts or less. The corrected e.g. Was usd lost to SD St. By one point (65-64, I think it was.)

Tnx

gamagin
02-23-2014, 07:59 PM
+1

Too much fluff, we need answers. Next week Few must appear before a panel comprised of Jim Gray, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Geraldo Rivera, and of course Nancy Grace, and give us answers the we deserve. He owes us the truth as to why he will not play my favorite player_______________(insert name and year) or why he plays my least favorite player______________(insert name and year, may not be a repeat because that would be to odd for even this site to follow). Only then will we finally find out why he thinks it is OK not to win national championships.

primal23
02-24-2014, 07:26 AM

I realize that in your view Mark Few can do no wrong, but what does a 16-2 run against the starters and not making a change show?

zaguarxj
02-24-2014, 09:08 AM
I realize that in your view Mark Few can do no wrong, but what does a 16-2 run against the starters and not making a change show?
The simplest explanation is that, given 20-20 hindsight, it would show that Few made a mistake. However, the mind-readers on the board will probably say that it's because he values loyalty over a national championship, or some other such drivel. It's quite ok to question and debate Few's decisions. It only gets ridiculous when people start speculating about Few's motivations, as if they have some window into his mind and psyche.

zagfan1970
02-24-2014, 09:14 AM
ummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!
"Our guards took poor shot choices. They kept shooting runners and I don t think we made one. I was Disappointed & talked about it all game. We Gotta adjust to that. We need to drive and get to the free throw line."

Isn't that exactly what Gerard Coleman brings?

vandalzag
02-24-2014, 09:23 AM

Sorry but you are wrong, I have never said nor do I think that Few can do no wrong. And my post was in jest, a response to those that think that Few should face a board of inquiry after every game. And no a run of 16-2 and not making a change shows nothing? Taking isolated segments of a game that did not go the Zags way, does not necessarily indict the staff as failing to do something. Same as looking at isolated segments of success do not indicate that the staff is perfect. Lots of variables go into a run, coaching strategy is just one of them.

zagfan1970
02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
which kind of contradicts this-

"“The guards were having a hard time,” coach Mark Few said, “but we were having success (inside) so that’s why we were going to it. We put 3-point shooters out there so they couldn’t double and the bigs were one-on-one and they were delivering.”

Do you want 3 shooters on the outside away from the key or a guard that will drive and get to the rim or get fouled?

SWZag
02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks again Gamagin for the recap. Much appreciated.

Vanzagger
02-24-2014, 09:42 AM
My favorite play of the game...Draino over the top to Dower. Lay in!!!!

Make teams pay with are length. Make the game easier

jagwalkley
02-24-2014, 10:23 AM
that was the truth,send that to him. good one.

primal23
02-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Sorry but you are wrong, I have never said nor do I think that Few can do no wrong. And my post was in jest, a response to those that think that Few should face a board of inquiry after every game. And no a run of 16-2 and not making a change shows nothing? Taking isolated segments of a game that did not go the Zags way, does not necessarily indict the staff as failing to do something. Same as looking at isolated segments of success do not indicate that the staff is perfect. Lots of variables go into a run, coaching strategy is just one of them.

I stand corrected.

Zag 77
02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
The feature about the Few kids and the Lloyd kids was awfully cute and heartwarming.:)

Zags11
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Condescending.

B Wayne
02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
The best part was when one of the coaches (Lloyd or Few) kids, about 11 years old, saying the best part about sitting behind the bench is getting all the inside information. Then the 6th grader said "Then we hear an announcer or analyst say something, and we say to each other, that's not true>"

Imagine what those kids would think reading all the philosopher king postings on this board, about such things as.. "Player has a towel on head, I am an expert in body language, the player is not happy" or that currently undefeated Wichita State wasn't a talented team last year, the Zags just beat themselves in the tournament last year lol.

bballbeachbum
02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks again Gamagin for the recap. Much appreciated.

+1 thank you gamagin