PDA

View Full Version : Guards that can Dunk

ZAGLAWQB
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Last 48 hours the staying on point in some of these threads has become enlightening to the comical to the bizarre. One such point involves the indirect question of our guards athleticism based on their ability to dunk, and if so, why don't they use that move in a game.

Quick history/frame of reference: in 1970 I was 6'1 1/2" sophomore who could dunk off left leg with right hand only...am willing to bet that every current Zag can dunk a basketball. However, even though rule was changed to allow momentary rim hanging post dunk for safety reasons (dunkers talent far surpassed their brain safety recognition and something had to be done), a dunk in traffic is dangerous because body balance moves up the torso and legs become very unstable. For smaller players, unless it is a breakaway cherry picked situation, they are much wiser to shoot a on balance lay-up. PS: wonder if one of greatest NBA small guards ever dunked in a game?...don't think he had many basketball flaws or lacked athleticism on the court.

jim77
02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
High IQ/skilled is preferred....Bird (not a G)....Stockton....even Magic at 6'9" didn't dunk much.

cbbfanatic
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
High IQ/skilled is preferred....Bird (not a G)....Stockton....even Magic at 6'9" didn't dunk much.

Nice contemporary examples.

WBM
02-24-2014, 07:41 AM
I watched David Stockton dunk during warmups before the Portland game at the Kennel. It did not look like something he should try doing in traffic, ever.

JPtheBeasta
02-24-2014, 08:57 AM
I would settle for Pangos or GBJ taking the ball to the rim with authority and scoring layups (and/or getting fouled) here and there.

bballbeachbum
02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
I would settle for Pangos or GBJ taking the ball to the rim with authority and scoring layups (and/or getting fouled) here and there.

I would say that they are trying but not succeeding. are they able? I hope so but it's much more difficult an equation than simply hunting.

anyway, one of the best dunking guards I've ever seen in college was Jeremy Pargo. could get to the rim and create his own shot with the best of them. Lucky we all got to enjoy that while he was here.......

Remember that thread earlier in the year when someone asked which former Zag would you add to this team? there were all of the usual suspect answers but no one said Jeremy. Look at this team, what they need and lack...he'd make the 3 guard lineup hum too imo, collapsing defenses because they HAVE to commit to stopping him or he will score 1v1, opening the perimeter up wide for David, Gary, Kevin and whoever else for that matter while softening the interior D and forcing opposing bigs to collect some fouls, etc. Jeremy pretty high on the all time Zags career assist list too

all that said, this team has its own ways of scoring and doing things, what they struggle with is bringing that recipe on the road seems to me, and now teams are really starting to challenge whether they can create anything off the bounce, on the road. will be interesting to see who steps up to the challenge and what kind of offensive adjustments Few and staff come up with to address this development