PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Gonzaga's offense?

VinnyZag
02-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Through the first nine games of the year (D-I games, not counting Chaminade), Gonzaga never scored fewer than 79 points. The Zags were under 80 only in the loss to Dayton. At one point, GU was either third or fifth nationally in KenPom's offensive efficiency ratings (Gonzaga was one and BYU the other, I can't recall which was which.

Since the Dec. 10 game at West Virginia, GU has scored 80 just five times -- four of them at home. The Zags are now 48th nationally in offensive efficiency, scoring 111.8 points per 100 possessions. This is now a better defensive team than an offensive team: 36th in defensive efficiency, at 96.5 points per 100 possessions.

At the start of the year I remember thinking that this team would be a lot like the Morrison team of '05-06: great on offense, bad on defense. Instead they've been mediocre on offense and maybe a little better than mediocre on defense.

I have often assured other posters that "offense isn't this team's problem." Well, if I said that at any point this year, I was way off.

My question is, why? Is it all attributable to Pangos' toe, Dower's back and Bell's wrist? Is something systematically wrong with the offense? Is "mediocre offense" simply this team's true talent level?

Thoughts?

GrizZAG
02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Through the first nine games of the year (D-I games, not counting Chaminade), Gonzaga never scored fewer than 79 points. The Zags were under 80 only in the loss to Dayton. At one point, GU was either third or fifth nationally in KenPom's offensive efficiency ratings (Gonzaga was one and BYU the other, I can't recall which was which.

Since the Dec. 10 game at West Virginia, GU has scored 80 just five times -- four of them at home. The Zags are now 48th nationally in offensive efficiency, scoring 111.8 points per 100 possessions. This is now a better defensive team than an offensive team: 36th in defensive efficiency, at 96.5 points per 100 possessions.

At the start of the year I remember thinking that this team would be a lot like the Morrison team of '05-06: great on offense, bad on defense. Instead they've been mediocre on offense and maybe a little better than mediocre on defense.

I have often assured other posters that "offense isn't this team's problem." Well, if I said that at any point this year, I was way off.

My question is, why? Is it all attributable to Pangos' toe, Dower's back and Bell's wrist? Is something systematically wrong with the offense? Is "mediocre offense" simply this team's true talent level?

Thoughts?

The conference teams have had a lot of film to study and have figured out the formula to shut down Zag offense. There is a pattern and similarity to how these WCC teams are defending and making plays. They are all looking a lot alike lately starting with Portland. IMHO I believe we need to mix up the attack plan with more unknown players everyone is talking about and different sets to throw out to change momentum when we are not performing. That would include more Coleman, Nunez and Edwards I believe, but not sure we know exactly where all their strengths and weaknesses are at this point, but it is becoming clearer as we see them. Not a lot of inside out game lately except in the first 5-10 minutes of each game. What the heck is that all about?

roxdoc
02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Offensive plan was certainly one-dimensional last night. Might have just barely worked if it wasn't for the fouls. Aparently no plan B.

kclubfounder
02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
It's the F'ing toe.

northsidezagfan
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
It's the F'ing toe.

+1

Ezag
02-23-2014, 08:29 PM
We're a pretty predictable team at this point in the season