PDA

View Full Version : GET A GRIP ON REALITY

flytiezag
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Syracuse looses two in a row one to a 7-20 BC team.We lose to BYU 29-10 SDU 16-14 and have a melt down.The WCC has some good teams this year.It will prepare our team for WCC tourney@NCAA tourney keep the faith.Remember to pray for Noah the boy on previous thread.

zag944
02-23-2014, 09:56 AM
and if we miss the tournament, we can make ourselves feel better by bringing up the time North Carolina missed it.

Oregonzagnut
02-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Syracuse looses two in a row one to a 7-20 BC team.We lose to BYU 29-10 SDU 16-14 and have a melt down.The WCC has some good teams this year.It will prepare our team for WCC tourney@NCAA tourney keep the faith.Remember to pray for Noah the boy on previous thread.

I hear ya on remembering this is just a game, but reality is as we make it and it is relative, I have lots of things I pray for, some friends in the hospital and dying and family hurting in many ways, I hurt too.

So cheering, being happy and being sad are things that make me feel alive. Gonzaga basketball brings those things and I share it here on this board. Both the good and the bad. But just like your employer or family, sometimes doing good is expected and not acknowledged enough, it is the faults and improvements to be made that take center stage.

We are used to 27-7 records. We want more. Where is the crime in that. I doesn't mean everyone is unappreciative and unhappy, it just means we want to see the best team we can be. And IMO, Few missed the boat with his pre-determined starting lineup this year and now we have an underdeveloped back court that can't handle tough, physical, pressuring defense. And it also seems we are abandoning our defensive mindset ourselves.

It is upsetting to see missed opportunities, games we should have won and streaks at risk. It is even more upsetting when I see the tools and assets wasting on the bench AND add to that upset is that we need that strong, long, tall and fast team come March! Yet again we develop the opposite, a small fundamentally sound yet physically underwhelming team.

Alum08
02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
It has less to do with the scoreboard than it does with our intensity, decision-making, and overall level of play. If I was watching those games as a recruit, I would turn off the TV.

The writing is on the wall, and it's perfectly reasonable to be upset.

GrizZAG
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Truth is, at the beginning of this season there was a lot of apprehension and concern and especially after Maui. This is playing out about what many were predicting early on. This is a good WCC team without a KO and that is about it.

MJ777
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Truth is, at the beginning of this season there was a lot of apprehension and concern and especially after Maui. This is playing out about what many were predicting early on. This is a good WCC team without a KO and that is about it.

Swish!

MDABE80
02-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Syracuse played ranked teams and played very well...top 10 well. About the only analogy that comes close is that GU and Cuse played games and both lost.

DixieZag
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Syracuse played ranked teams and played very well...top 10 well. About the only analogy that comes close is that GU and Cuse played games and both lost.

That and one of Syracuse's losses was to Duke - the number 5 team in the country - at Duke.

And, yes to the people saying we knew we'd be rebuilding this year. But, we have a soft schedule and we're underplaying even that. We don't have one good win - unless one calls WVU a good win. We have not won a single game that we were not the favorite in. The team is underperforming, it is not the overall record or even success that worries, it is underperforming, which is all too common a theme lately.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 02:16 PM

BC is ranked?

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 02:23 PM
That and one of Syracuse's losses was to Duke - the number 5 team in the country - at Duke.

And, yes to the people saying we knew we'd be rebuilding this year. But, we have a soft schedule and we're underplaying even that. We don't have one good win - unless one calls WVU a good win. We have not won a single game that we were not the favorite in. The team is underperforming, it is not the overall record or even success that worries, it is underperforming, which is all too common a theme lately.
Winning games you are supposed to is not underperforming nor is losing games where you are not favored. The point of his post is that we need not go doomsday based upon 2 losses. Now if they lose 3 straight, fail to make the NCAA, NIT, and CBI that would be underperforming. Writing the team off with 2 games left in the season when they have 23 games is a bit much. Should let the season play out before you determine how successful it is or is not.

cbbfanatic
02-24-2014, 08:33 AM

beat me to it.

these two programs arent in comparable spots.

flytiezag
02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
I am sorry to compare Zags to Cruse but noting even good teams lose to teams with poor records BC 7-20 usually away from home.Two loses in a row is hard on every one coaches,players and especially us fans seeing good teams losing to poor teams [Cruse] to [BC] and then next game to [Duke] a good team both away from home gives me some sanity and hope for Zags.It is better for me to look forward to a great outcome this weekend.

ZagaZags
03-04-2014, 11:10 PM

After losing tonight to Georgia Tech, Syracuse fans are jumping ship.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/outplayed-and-outcoached.71005/

I can't believe how some fans act. ;)

Zags11
03-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Cuse lost? Lol. Sweet.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2014, 03:59 AM
After losing tonight to Georgia Tech, Syracuse fans are jumping ship.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/outplayed-and-outcoached.71005/

I can't believe how some fans act. ;)

Wow... thread could be transplanted here and it would seem like it was written here.

Vanzagger
03-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Last March a CBS analyst said Montana would beat Cuse. Cuse won by 50. This from a team who lost 2 senior starters and 2 underclassmen to the NBA. They went on to the Final 4.

I wonder if their coaches were calling last year a bridge year?

Cuse will have a great chance to win when it counts the most. Their commitment to length and D is unwavering.

23dpg
03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
I think the OP's point is a valid one. He's not saying Syracuse = Gonzaga. Syracuse is not playing good basketball lately. Here are their last ten games.

Sat, Feb 1 vs#17 Duke
W91-89 OT

Mon, Feb 3 vsNotre Dame
W61-55

Sun, Feb 9 vsClemson
W57-44

Wed, Feb 12 @#25 Pittsburgh
W58-56

Sat, Feb 15 vsNorth Carolina State
W56-55

Wed, Feb 19 vsBoston College
L62-59 OT

Sat, Feb 22 @#5 Duke
L66-60

Mon, Feb 24 @Maryland
W57-55

Sat, Mar 1 @#12 Virginia
L75-56

Tue, Mar 4 vsGeorgia Tech
L67-62

Gonzaga's team is not nearly as talented as Syracuse. Gonzaga did lose two in a row, one to a good BYU team and one to a mediocre SD team, both on the road. Syracuse has not only lost to a couple of average to bad teams, but lost them at home. They also won a couple of games in miraculous fashion.
The point is, relax. Losing two games in a row isn't great, but it's not the end of the world and doesn't define your season. I like the way GU is playing more than I like the way Syracuse is playing right now. (I think Syracuse will right their ship and at least make the sweet 16 though)

vandalzag
03-05-2014, 07:28 AM
I think the OP's point is a valid one. He's not saying Syracuse = Gonzaga. Syracuse is not playing good basketball lately. Here are their last ten games.

Sat, Feb 1 vs#17 Duke
W91-89 OT

Mon, Feb 3 vsNotre Dame
W61-55

Sun, Feb 9 vsClemson
W57-44

Wed, Feb 12 @#25 Pittsburgh
W58-56

Sat, Feb 15 vsNorth Carolina State
W56-55

Wed, Feb 19 vsBoston College
L62-59 OT

Sat, Feb 22 @#5 Duke
L66-60

Mon, Feb 24 @Maryland
W57-55

Sat, Mar 1 @#12 Virginia
L75-56

Tue, Mar 4 vsGeorgia Tech
L67-62

Gonzaga's team is not nearly as talented as Syracuse. Gonzaga did lose two in a row, one to a good BYU team and one to a mediocre SD team, both on the road. Syracuse has not only lost to a couple of average to bad teams, but lost them at home. They also won a couple of games in miraculous fashion.
The point is, relax. Losing two games in a row isn't great, but it's not the end of the world and doesn't define your season. I like the way GU is playing more than I like the way Syracuse is playing right now. (I think Syracuse will right their ship and at least make the sweet 16 though)

Well Syracuse is Long and Athletic just like Kentucky

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I believe the original post had more to do with what was being posted rather than a slam on Syracuse. If anything, I don't think the OP is saying anything bad about Cuse at all... however... the fans over there sure sound a lot like fans over here.

Zags11
03-05-2014, 07:58 AM
I believe the original post had more to do with what was being posted rather than a slam on Syracuse. If anything, I don't think the OP is saying anything bad about Cuse at all... however... the fans over there sure sound a lot like fans over here.

We are almost the same but different uniforms we root for. We have the positive crowd, the negative crowd, the in between crowd. The fan's who blame others, the one's who get defensive. We are all the same.....but we have higher iq per my magic 8 ball.

gonzagafan62
03-05-2014, 07:59 AM

What posers. Oops I meant "posters" :jk:

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2014, 08:07 AM
....but we have higher iq per my magic 8 ball.

:clap:

willandi
03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
In the 1950's, there was a man in Missoula that bought the entire south hill for dollars per acre. He put in roads, and sewer, subdivided it all...even a small 18 hole golf course. He had vision and a good grip on realty. Uh, oh...you said realIty not realty! My bad!

MDABE80
03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
So the Cuse has lost 4 of 5 these past two weeks. We ain't Cuse.. COmpletely different level. If we could muster up a BC performance, it would be good BUT remember that even though we get an opponent in the 1st round that we can beat, even if we win big, it's artificial...Glad for a qin but we still have to play a team that is better and means business. 99's a long way in the rearview......I wish we could repeat it. March MADness is upon us. Anything can happen.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 09:58 AM
If I was a Syracuse fan, I'd be seriously panicking right now. They've lost 4 out of 5, including to 2 REALLY bad teams, and have been struggling to win games for a month. They have time to turn it around, but they do not look good.

Zagceo
03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Syracuse has won their last 3 games by a total of 5 points and have lost by a total of 33 in their 4 losses. They are struggling.

Imo the best team has been Florida all year and if they don't win it all I'll be surprised. I like Billy so I'm biased.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Syracuse has won their last 3 games by a total of 5 points and have lost by a total of 33 in their 4 losses. They are struggling.

Imo the best team has been Florida all year and if they don't win it all I'll be surprised. I like Billy so I'm biased.

What about Arizona? Started off the season w/ some really good wins at San Diego St., neutral court against Duke and at Michigan. They hit a lull and dropped a couple games, but have got back on track and have been drilling people lately. The SEC is pretty weak overall and Florida has had it's share of really close games too. Florida certainly looks like one of the best teams in the country, but can't see any way they are considered head and shoulders better than 'Zona.

Zagceo
03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
What about Arizona? Started off the season w/ some really good wins at San Diego St., neutral court against Duke and at Michigan. They hit a lull and dropped a couple games, but have got back on track and have been drilling people lately. The SEC is pretty weak overall and Florida has had it's share of really close games too. Florida certainly looks like one of the best teams in the country, but can't see any way they are considered head and shoulders better than 'Zona.

I'd say Wildcats are the 2nd best team. I thought they were the best team early in the year but have come back to the pack lately.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I'd say Wildcats are the 2nd best team. I thought they were the best team early in the year but have come back to the pack lately.

I don't think you've seen their last several games. Beat Colorado and Cal both by close to 30. Had Stanford down by 25, let it get within 11 and ended up winning by 13. They've been killing people. Florida's last 2 wins were by healthy margins but before that they beat Auburn by 5, Ole Miss by 4 and Vandy by 3. They really look like 1a and 1b to me.

gonzagafan62
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Arizona took some time to right the ship without Ashley on the court. Once they figured out a new scheme, they have been killing teams. I think Arizona is right back to where they were early in the season, without a doubt.

Zagceo
03-05-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't think you've seen their last several games. Beat Colorado and Cal both by close to 30. Had Stanford down by 25, let it get within 11 and ended up winning by 13. They've been killing people. Florida's last 2 wins were by healthy margins but before that they beat Auburn by 5, Ole Miss by 4 and Vandy by 3. They really look like 1a and 1b to me.

You're right I haven't seen them lately. I watched their Stanford and Cal games in which they lost.

seacatfan
03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
You're right I haven't seen them lately. I watched their Stanford and Cal games in which they lost.

Night and day difference since then. Whole team looks better, but Aaron Gordon in particular is showing why he's projected as a lottery pick. I was scratching my head over that for a while when he couldn't score on anything other than dunks and couldn't hit a FT to save his life. Their defense has been nasty all year, but they've broken out of a scoring slump in a major way and are getting into the 80's now.

GrizZAG
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
In the 1950's, there was a man in Missoula that bought the entire south hill for dollars per acre. He put in roads, and sewer, subdivided it all...even a small 18 hole golf course. He had vision and a good grip on realty. Uh, oh...you said realIty not realty! My bad!

I believe that was Mr. Curran