PDA

View Full Version : Venting

Alum08
02-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Long-time lurker, finally fed up enough with this season to post.

This is clearly a personnel issue, and if Few isn't comfortable with benching KP, he shouldn't be coaching this team.

The ONLY time I have seen this team have energy this year is when either Coleman or KD (and Nunez, to a much lesser-extent) are on the floor. Coleman is a WCC killer if Few would let him. He is faster with the ball than practically all of the other players in the league. Karno looks like a completely different player when Coleman runs the show. He's more aggressive and moves more on the offensive end, and he actually runs the floor noticeably faster. Yes, Coleman would not be an ideal player for the tournament. Yes, he is a liability on defense. But you have to make the damn tourney first before you can even think about setting your ideal lineups.

KP should have been shut down weeks ago. Few is mentally ruining him. This is the exact same thing that happened to Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart in the NFL in regards to turf-toe. They get accustomed to playing injured and they get accustomed to operating at 50-75% of their maximum ability. Even when the injury subsides, they are never the same player.

With that said, I like KP. He has a high bball IQ, a beautiful shot, and he had a spectacular freshman campaign. I think he has that fire in him. Furthermore,the Bell/Pangos experiment was well-conceived on paper. But what this team needs (and has always needed since the program's inception) is a great wing defender. Erroll was the closest that we've ever had. All of the others that had promise have left the program early (Arop, Gurganeous, P-MAC). This is a systemic problem. We have never beat a team with good guard play, EVER in the conference or in the tourney and never will if this continues. Jimmer, Curry, Wesley Johnson, heck even regular season games against Brandon Paul, AJ Price, Delly, every Memphis team, etc, etc the list never stops.

We are not a Cinderella team anymore. We have talent. We don't need to live or die by the three. But we should be able to shut down the Cinderella teams we face in the WCC or tourney each year by defending the perimeter. So who needs to be in the game? Dranginis. He's not an elite defender, but he's the best we have.

So who should start? If we are playing a perimeter team, it's clearly: Bell, Coleman, Dranginis, Dower, and Karno. It won't be pretty. It won't be Gonzaga basketball. But it will be effective.
Against the bigger, slower teams I think that Stockton can run a nice half-court set. He's playing just as good a KP right now, which says more about KP's current level of play more than anything else. So something like this: Stockton, Bell, Dranginis/Coleman, Dower, Karno. The second Dower goes out, Coleman must be on the floor. Stockton, Bell, Coleman, Nunez, Karno. KP needs to focus on next year.

Time for a cup of tea.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Nicely done, '08. Come back soon.

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Agree with sit pangos, until at least the wcc tourney.

Agree with coleman needs more minutes, but Few never seems to think so. There's been some really good results in stretches with him, but he isn't really visibly rewarded when he does something good, the playing time doesn't consistently increase. Few is waiting for that mistake to come so he can justify yanking him for Stocks or more KD (who has been pretty bad lately). Pretty infuriating. We saw Few ruin Marquise Carter with the short leash deal. We saw GLE disappear in a season he could have been utilized after he looked solid his first year. Coleman seems like the next in line for Few to ruin.... or chase away.. It's like he hates having athletic wings in the system that can slash and score it. He will take the "headier" less athletic guy everytime it seems. Which is good a lot of instances, but this team needs explosiveness.

Reborn
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Nicely done, '08. Come back soon.

Great post. I really enjoyed it.

ditto come back soon.

zag944
02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
It just doesn't make any sense to me.

People criticize his circus shots but he creates them all by himself and makes half of them. Pretty good for a guard who aims to be a high volume scorer, and exactly what this team seems to need. The same critics would say he is bad or lost on defense, but I just watched basically every perimeter player except Bell getting torched by BYU and USD.

He came in last night for 4 minutes and scored as much as Kevin did, despite playing 30 less minutes. He got to the free throw line twice as much as all our other non-bigs put together. Seems like exactly what we needed. I may be wrong, but its hard to judge with such an unfairly small sample size.

drvenkman05
02-23-2014, 10:14 AM

This is clearly a personnel issue, and if Few isn't comfortable with benching KP, he shouldn't be coaching this team.

The ONLY time I have seen this team have energy this year is when either Coleman or KD (and Nunez, to a much lesser-extent) are on the floor. Coleman is a WCC killer if Few would let him. He is faster with the ball than practically all of the other players in the league. Karno looks like a completely different player when Coleman runs the show. He's more aggressive and moves more on the offensive end, and he actually runs the floor noticeably faster. Yes, Coleman would not be an ideal player for the tournament. Yes, he is a liability on defense. But you have to make the damn tourney first before you can even think about setting your ideal lineups.

KP should have been shut down weeks ago. Few is mentally ruining him. This is the exact same thing that happened to Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart in the NFL in regards to turf-toe. They get accustomed to playing injured and they get accustomed to operating at 50-75% of their maximum ability. Even when the injury subsides, they are never the same player.

With that said, I like KP. He has a high bball IQ, a beautiful shot, and he had a spectacular freshman campaign. I think he has that fire in him. Furthermore,the Bell/Pangos experiment was well-conceived on paper. But what this team needs (and has always needed since the program's inception) is a great wing defender. Erroll was the closest that we've ever had. All of the others that had promise have left the program early (Arop, Gurganeous, P-MAC). This is a systemic problem. We have never beat a team with good guard play, EVER in the conference or in the tourney and never will if this continues. Jimmer, Curry, Wesley Johnson, heck even regular season games against Brandon Paul, AJ Price, Delly, every Memphis team, etc, etc the list never stops.

We are not a Cinderella team anymore. We have talent. We don't need to live or die by the three. But we should be able to shut down the Cinderella teams we face in the WCC or tourney each year by defending the perimeter. So who needs to be in the game? Dranginis. He's not an elite defender, but he's the best we have.

So who should start? If we are playing a perimeter team, it's clearly: Bell, Coleman, Dranginis, Dower, and Karno. It won't be pretty. It won't be Gonzaga basketball. But it will be effective.
Against the bigger, slower teams I think that Stockton can run a nice half-court set. He's playing just as good a KP right now, which says more about KP's current level of play more than anything else. So something like this: Stockton, Bell, Dranginis/Coleman, Dower, Karno. The second Dower goes out, Coleman must be on the floor. Stockton, Bell, Coleman, Nunez, Karno. KP needs to focus on next year.

Time for a cup of tea.

Great post '08! We aren't losing because of defense we are losing because some players refuse to shoot (and thus score). We need more offense and Few's refusal to put players on the court that will at least shoot is inexplicable.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the pah-tee.

Time for a cup of tea.

jim77
02-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Time for a cup of tea.

Nice post.