PDA

View Full Version : Nunez, Coleman, Edwards, Meikle and more

GrizZAG
02-23-2014, 09:04 AM
We have been able to see these guys on the floor now a bit with the exception of Meikle for some unknown reason. What is your take on these players now that we have seen them? Some have said this a boring team and would these guys bring some fire to the game that some view as missing? My take:

Nunez: Very athletic with great hops. Can drive and should be able to garner lots of rebounds. How is his "D"?

Coleman: Adapting to our system, not quite comfortable in his role just yet but is just flat athletic and exciting at times. Does he have good BB IQ?

Edwards: Seems he has it within him to bang and defend. Decent passing skills and under control pretty well. I wonder about his aggressiveness and energy. ??

Meikle: I hope I am spelling it right (?) What little I saw he has some game. Anybody know what the hold up on him is? I like his size and we could use SIZE.

Others: Connor Griffin: Hmm, seems he has some good talent but not showing up much of anywhere in game except last 30 seconds. Others??

What is your eval at this point? What will it take to get the WOW factor back in this Zag team? Would Coleman have learned and developed into another Pargo had he gotten more minutes this year?

Vanzagger
02-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Luke and Angel came into the game together vs Santa Clara and really swung the momentum in our favor.

gonwick
02-23-2014, 09:26 AM
What would be awesome is if there weren't so many question marks at the end of the season for all of these players. Some of that is on the players for not meeting few's expectations in the often scant minutes they received, but a lot is on few for not exploring these players more fully. The Pepperdine blowout looms large in my memory when he kept the starters in until the last minutes.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 09:32 AM
No panaceas in the bunch. But unmined as they are, no telling if there's any gold there.

Ajay
02-23-2014, 10:20 AM
I've state previously that Mielke reminds me of Pendo - not just the hair, but solid rebounder and good around the rim with quick put backs. WHERE IS HE? Agree that we need more Coleman and Nunez. Rest KP for the season.

Zagceo
02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I've state previously that Mielke reminds me of Pendo - not just the hair, but solid rebounder and good around the rim with quick put backs. WHERE IS HE? Agree that we need more Coleman and Nunez. Rest KP for the season.

Mielke usually sits between Coleman and Nunez. ; )

primal23
02-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Maybe three open scholarships next year instead of just two?

gonwick
02-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Mielke usually sits between Coleman and Nunez. ; )
Well done.

northsidezagfan
02-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Until these guys get more time it isn't a "rebuilding year", it's just a down year. Yes, still a solid year but down by Gonzaga standards. Not saying we should just give up, mail it in this year, not play DS/DB/SD because they will be gone next year, but we do need to develop these guys more. There is no building going on right now.

hooter73
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
there hasnt been building going on since Maui.

exclusivelee
02-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Glad to know my opinion is appreciated

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Comments deleted due to.....?

exclusivelee
02-23-2014, 05:57 PM

Exactly my point.

Oregonzagnut
02-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Three choices:

1. Questioning Few.
2. Questioning players.
3. Questioning mods.

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
We have been able to see these guys on the floor now a bit with the exception of Meikle for some unknown reason. What is your take on these players now that we have seen them? Some have said this a boring team and would these guys bring some fire to the game that some view as missing? My take:

Nunez: Very athletic with great hops. Can drive and should be able to garner lots of rebounds. How is his "D"?

Coleman: Adapting to our system, not quite comfortable in his role just yet but is just flat athletic and exciting at times. Does he have good BB IQ?

Edwards: Seems he has it within him to bang and defend. Decent passing skills and under control pretty well. I wonder about his aggressiveness and energy. ??

Meikle: I hope I am spelling it right (?) What little I saw he has some game. Anybody know what the hold up on him is? I like his size and we could use SIZE.

Others: Connor Griffin: Hmm, seems he has some good talent but not showing up much of anywhere in game except last 30 seconds. Others??

What is your eval at this point? What will it take to get the WOW factor back in this Zag team? Would Coleman have learned and developed into another Pargo had he gotten more minutes this year?

Nunez has the tools to be an NBA prospect.
Coleman is the most aggressive player on the team.
Edwards, I said 6 months ago he was a gem.
Meikle, GoZags said it best, Meikle is a Mark Spink clone.http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mark-spink-1.html

Mantua
02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Until these guys get more time it isn't a "rebuilding year", it's just a down year. Yes, still a solid year but down by Gonzaga standards. Not saying we should just give up, mail it in this year, not play DS/DB/SD because they will be gone next year, but we do need to develop these guys more. There is no building going on right now.

Common sense to me, but usually coaches try to give a lot of time to guys who are leaving.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Nunez has the tools to be an NBA prospect.
Coleman is the most aggressive player on the team.
Edwards, I said 6 months ago he was a gem.
Meikle, GoZags said it best, Meikle is a Mark Spink clone.http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mark-spink-1.html

Agreed on all fronts,
Nunez has tools to be an NBA prospect, but they are tools that need refining. Will come with time if the player buys in which I think will happen.
Coleman is most aggressive (DS is second) but needed to focus on when and where which I think he has, if playing time does not come it is due to something behind the scenes.
Edwards looks the part, if you were saying it before he stepped on campus that is a great call. He will be a good one, needs strength and stamina.
Good call on Meikle Spink comparison. Spink played in 12 games his first year, as a red shirt freshman. Skill set is there, but he has to get stronger to play major minutes.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Common sense to me, but usually coaches try to give a lot of time to guys who are leaving.

Which coaches play players based on the fact that they are leaving? If that was the case why has Few not played Bashkar more this year since he is graduating?

It is possible to have a rebuilding year and still try to win games. Best players play based upon the coaches criteria.

primal23
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Which coaches play players based on the fact that they are leaving? If that was the case why has Few not played Bashkar more this year since he is graduating?

It is possible to have a rebuilding year and still try to win games. Best players play based upon the coaches criteria.

I guess that criteria doesn't include trying something new when the best players playing are not getting the job done over and over.

bartruff1
02-24-2014, 07:42 AM
" The best players will play. That is the way it will always be. "............ Larry Bird.

vandalzag
02-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Three choices:

1. Questioning Few.
2. Questioning players.
3. Questioning mods.

Answer is D none to the above. Explained by the Mods and all is good. I think if you look hard enough you may be able to find a thread that questions the players and Few. So I am sure if it was choice 1 and 2 we would have nothing but pictures of Francis on this site(not that there is anything wrong with that).