PDA

View Full Version : How many more wins needed for an at-large?

DarkZagRises
02-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Of the potentially 4 remaining games other than the tourney championship game, how many wins do Zags need to keep the streak alive?

Ezag
02-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Good question, but the real question is why are we getting to the point where we have to leave the decision in the hands of others?

demian
02-23-2014, 08:22 AM
no at large bid available in my opinion for this team. Have to win conference tourney to get automatic bid this year. If we don't win conf tourney we don't deserve an at large bid in my opinion

DixieZag
02-23-2014, 08:32 AM
If we win four in a row (one is against an SMC team that would love to kick our ass), it's probably enough for an 11 or 12 seed.

Drop one of the four and we're not getting a bid.

And right now, I think the auto bid is less likely than the discretionary one.

This team doesn't deserve the tourney right now. That makes me near want to cry for Sam b/c it will be a heavy weight on any senior's shoulders after 14 years. Plus, Sam's one of the few playing like they know it's all being kicked away.

webspinnre
02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
I think we have to win 4 of the next 5 in some combination. Win next two, then make the championship, we're in. Lose one of the next two, better plan on winning the championship, or we'll be doing what SMC has done the last 2 years, sweating it out come selection sunday.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 08:40 AM
The Zags have an RPI of 28 and a 2 game lead on the 9th toughest conference (out of 32 conferences) in the nation. Jamie Z is a member of the Selection Committee.

Gonzaga's "at-large" bid will be "in the bank" with one victory next week.

That being said .... a pre-dance 5 game winning streak would be nice right about now.

Beat Pacific.

El Zag
02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
The question should be : How many more games do they have to “ not lose “ ? because that’s the way we have been playing and when you play to " not lose “ , you have already lost .

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
The Zags have an RPI of 28 and a 2 game lead on the 9th toughest conference (out of 32 conferences) in the nation. Jamie Z is a member of the Selection Committee.

That being said .... a pre-dance 5 game winning streak would be nice right about now.

Beat Pacific.

I don't believe this team can take any comfort in citing RPI stats, 2 game lead in 9th toughest conference. Year in and year out teams with solid resumes get pushed off the bubble, and lets not kid ourselves...all nice sounding stats aside, this team is firmly on the bubble as they have looked less than impressive of late. The NCAA selection committee definitely takes into consideration how well the bubble team is playing during the homestretch of the regular season.

It's not about how many more wins for this team to get an at-large bid, it's about having to win the WCC tourney and take charge of their own fate cause an at-large bid is on the bubble already.

TacomaZAG
02-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Beat Pacific.

Pass the Kool-Aid, GoZags, I could really use some right now.

Sure, our RPI of 28 looks pretty good, but let's dig a little deeper. Our SOS of 101 leaves us on the outside of the "at large" discussion, as does our total lack of ANY signature wins. The "Quality Wins" column on our resume has a single entry, the herculian task of taking down BYU at the Kennel. The "Bad Losses" column has both Portland and USD, and if we cough up another fur ball on Thursday against Pacific it will have a third.

Nothing is "in the bank" unless we win the WCC Tourney. Quick question, has any team ever gone from a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney one year to not even qualifying the next???? I hope so, because that would an embarrasing club of which to be a member.

Go ZAGS

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Lose to another one of these below average (nationally speaking) wcc teams and we don't deserve an at-large in any way shape or form. We could probably still get it to keep t he streak alive ,with our name power nationally somewhat, and selection committee connections. But seriously look at our wins...

gonwick
02-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Maybe Kentucky? I think they went nit.
I like your spirit gozags, but if the wcc is the ninth best conference, does that mean gu is in the top 100 teams, assuming there are ten to twelve teams per conference. But there are good teams in bad conferences, so maybe top 115. Of course, that ignores cellar dwellers in good conferences.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Pass the Kool-Aid, GoZags, I could really use some right now.

Sure, our RPI of 28 looks pretty good, but let's dig a little deeper. Our SOS of 101 leaves us on the outside of the "at large" discussion, as does our total lack of ANY signature wins. The "Quality Wins" column on our resume has a single entry, the herculian task of taking down BYU at the Kennel. The "Bad Losses" column has both Portland and USD, and if we cough up another fur ball on Thursday against Pacific it will have a third.

Nothing is "in the bank" unless we win the WCC Tourney. Quick question, has any team ever gone from a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney one year to not even qualifying the next???? I hope so, because that would an embarrasing club of which to be a member.

Go ZAGS

Sure, in the history of NCAA D1 hoops there's been one school with an RPI of under 30 that didn't make the field (Missouri State). I don't think they had their Commissioner on the Selection Committee. Although Jamie will "recuse" himself from the official "discussion" on WCC members .... don't underestimate the value to GU that he is there and his feelings will be known.

I agree .... winning the WCC tourney will be the best way to get into the dance. It's certainly doable. Very doable. But don't fall into the trap of thinking SOS and RPI are different animals. The SOS is ALREADY factored into the RPI.

On another note -- GU's current NCAA tourney streak is noteworthy in that in the history of NCAA hoops -- only UNC (under Dean Smith); Duke (under Coach K); Kansas (under Roy Williams/Bill Self); Indiana (under Bob Knight); Kentucky (under Rick Pitino/Tubby Smith) and Michigan State (under Tom Izzo) have ever had streaks longer than Gonzaga's current streak of 15. My answer to the question posed above (what would you rather have ... NIT run or NCAA tourney and quick exit) ... I strongly feel making the dance is preferable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament_cons ecutive_appearances

Somehow I believe (despite all his GUBoards detractors) that our guy will help Gonzaga get it done ......

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Somehow I believe (despite all his GUBoards detractors) that our guy will help Gonzaga get it done ......

God... we need a guy to help get it done this year. We stink

TacomaZAG
02-23-2014, 10:06 AM
On another note -- GU's current NCAA tourney streak is noteworthy in that in the history of NCAA hoops -- only UNC (under Dean Smith); Duke (under Coach K); Kansas (under Roy Williams/Bill Self); Indiana (under Bob Knight); Kentucky (under Rick Pitino/Tubby Smith) and Michigan State (under Tom Izzo) have ever had streaks longer than Gonzaga's current streak of 15. My answer to the question posed above (what would you rather have ... NIT run or NCAA tourney and quick exit) ... I strongly feel making the dance is preferable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament_cons ecutive_appearances

The NCAA streak definitely puts us in "rarified air", so I really hope we continue it. I agree that even a one-and-done trip to the NCAA Tourney is preferable to any kind of NIT participation.

I hope you're right regarding our guy helping Gonzaga to get it done, Thursday is a must win for any "at large" consideration, IMHO, as a third bad loss will look really bad, especially two this late in the year.

Go ZAGS

GoZags
02-23-2014, 10:15 AM
We stink

Yet, despite the odor (and the two straight losses) Gonzaga finds itself, this morning --- hovering between 28 and 32 (out of 351 schools that play D1 hoops) in the major computer rankings .... i.e. this morning the Zags are 32 in KenPom; 29 in Sagarin and 28 in RPI. The unbalanced WCC schedule helped immensely early in the season (i.e. 4 home games to start the year with Sam and Kevin hurt) and the 4 games on the road to end the season hasn't helped. But the fact of the matter is Gonzaga is 4-3 (with a chance to go 6-3) on the road in league. USF went 5-4 in league and have the most road wins of any WCC school.

This season is far from over .....

zag944
02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Lunardi's S Curve had us at a 9 seed. I think we can sneak in if we go 3-1 in those games, and the 1 is a <10 point loss to SMC.

Lets just win them all though.

Oregonzagnut
02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
As of right now WCC is a two bid team according to Lunardi. So we should be safe as a 10 seed if we lose to BYU in the WCC tourney. but we must win both at Pacific and at St Marys.

Which will not happen if we play like we did last week and the refs decide to totally job us again. Which we will and which they will. So it will be another nail-biter. I would not surprise me if we lost out rather than won out. Teams that continually give up big leads in games also give up big leads in tournament chases.

Absolutely no reason to lose to Portland and USD. None, zippo. We knew what they were going to throw at us, we have known for years, and we should have a game plan for physical cheap shot flopping basketball.

It is time we fight fire with fire.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM
God... we need a guy to help get it done this year. We stink

Lets get a little perspective. The Cougs stink, The Vandals stink :mecry:, The Huskies Stink. The Zags are having a down year, yet still have 23 wins and a top 30 RPI, as well as a 2 game lead in the conference. This being done in a re-building year, after losing 2 NBA level kids, while not having any NBA ready kids to replace them. You do not stink if you are a top 30 team, sorry.

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Lunardi's S Curve had us at a 9 seed. I think we can sneak in if we go 3-1 in those games, and the 1 is a <10 point loss to SMC.

Lets just win them all though.

Lunardi is good at guessing who will get in not seeding. This time last year did he have the Zags as a 1 seed?

zag944
02-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Lunardi is good at guessing who will get in not seeding. This time last year did he have the Zags as a 1 seed?

I agree. Just nice to see we have a bit of a buffer as far as he is concerned.

75Zag
02-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Skipping over all the sarcasm and passive-aggressive chit chat, here is my take on getting into the NCAA tournament from here:

If we beat both Pacific and SMC we are in, although I will have a bad case of bubble fever if we beat Pacific and SMC but then lose our first game in the WCC tournament.

If we lose to Pacific, we are out of the tournament unless we get the auto-bid.

If we beat Pacific but lose to SMC in a close game, we will need to make a decent show in the WCC tournament but I still do not think GU would need the auto-bid to get in.

Here's hoping we win out from here.

Go Bulldogs!

gonwick
02-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Skipping over all the sarcasm and passive-aggressive chit chat, here is my take on getting into the NCAA tournament from here:

If we beat both Pacific and SMC we are in, although I will have a bad case of bubble fever if we beat Pacific and SMC but then lose our first game in the WCC tournament.

If we lose to Pacific, we are out of the tournament unless we get the auto-bid.

If we beat Pacific but lose to SMC in a close game, we will need to make a decent show in the WCC tournament but I still do not think GU would need the auto-bid to get in.

Here's hoping we win out from here.

Go Bulldogs!

That sounds about right, but could have the zags sweating on selection Sunday and they may end up staying home if there are too many bid stealers.

Baseline
02-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I think we need to win the last two games and be in the finals of the WCC tournament to get into the show. I think the selection committee will judge harshly thinking about GU's perceived collapse last year with the #1 ranking and Seed, the leash is very short this year. Count me very nervous.

gonwick
02-23-2014, 11:11 AM
I would love it if gu's collapse last year hurts the shocker's seeding this year. The gu aftertaste, lingering for mid majors. If we can't beat them on the floor, get minor revenge a year later.

MJ777
02-23-2014, 11:17 AM
How weak is the bubble this year? The record is 23 and 6 now. I think if Zags finish 25 and 7 even if the 7th loss is in the WCC quarterfinals they might sneak in depending on the strength of the bubble. They have to fill the bracket afterall. Hopefully that theory won't have to be tested. They need to suck it up and go on the attack against UOP and SMC. Hopefully Coach Few will adjust his thinking also and get some attacking athleticism in the games more.

Go Zags!

Zag4Hire
02-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Count me in the camp the Zags need the auto-bid to dance. The numbers aren't great and slated to get worse plus a lack of signature victories. I am not being a 'negative nancy' but it has looked like this all season. They should beat both Pacific and SMC but how can you predict how this team will perform in Las Vegas? You like this squad having to take a tougher route against teams that view the Zags as very beatable right now. The team is designed personnel-wise to play one way but is being forced to play another way. You play 3 guard but no half-court or full court press? No idea. The only thing right now worth watching is hoping other bubble teams start dropping games to bad teams.

bartruff1
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Three more...either Mary's or Pacific and two in the WCC Tourney.....or three in the tourney...

Mr Vulture
02-23-2014, 12:57 PM
You guys have lost your minds..lol. If we win the regular season title we will be in and it's not close. Way to much doom and gloom. The only way we don't make the tournament would be to lose out and even then I wouldn't be surprised to see a 12-13 seed barring major conference tournament upsets in many leagues. We will make tournament and we will be a 10 seed or better, likely the 8/9 seed.

If we win four in a row (one is against an SMC team that would love to kick our ass), it's probably enough for an 11 or 12 seed.

Drop one of the four and we're not getting a bid.

And right now, I think the auto bid is less likely than the discretionary one.

This team doesn't deserve the tourney right now. That makes me near want to cry for Sam b/c it will be a heavy weight on any senior's shoulders after 14 years. Plus, Sam's one of the few playing like they know it's all being kicked away.

Mr Vulture
02-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Top 30 RPI yet the numbers are bad? Actually, the RPI is expected to get better if we win as well. I bet we win both games this week and then all is good.

sideshow06
02-23-2014, 01:00 PM
SMC fan chiming in. Not here under any kind of gloating pretext (not that we have any reason for that this season anyhow). Offering a sort-of-outsider's perspective since you guys are so used to the tourney being an automatic thing that perhaps some of you are a little jaded. My comment would simply be that aside from being in first place by a couple of games this year's Zags look a lot like the St. Mary's teams that didn't get in. Seems like you have some here who feel similarly, but all I would say from our my experience with SMC is that I wouldn't count on that auto-bid with the year you're having. Those losses to USD and Portland (even though away) are auto-bid poison. That being said, it is probably likely you win in Vegas and it's moot. Good luck, except on March 1.

Mr Vulture
02-23-2014, 01:03 PM
That last statement is not true at all. The past several seasons there have been many examples of teams getting in on the bubble with losing records their last ten games. In fact, just last year the committee stated after the announcements that this was one of the least viewed things the look at.

I don't believe this team can take any comfort in citing RPI stats, 2 game lead in 9th toughest conference. Year in and year out teams with solid resumes get pushed off the bubble, and lets not kid ourselves...all nice sounding stats aside, this team is firmly on the bubble as they have looked less than impressive of late. The NCAA selection committee definitely takes into consideration how well the bubble team is playing during the homestretch of the regular season.

It's not about how many more wins for this team to get an at-large bid, it's about having to win the WCC tourney and take charge of their own fate cause an at-large bid is on the bubble already.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
SMC fan chiming in. Not here under any kind of gloating pretext (not that we have any reason for that this season anyhow). Offering a sort-of-outsider's perspective since you guys are so used to the tourney being an automatic thing that perhaps some of you are a little jaded. My comment would simply be that aside from being in first place by a couple of games this year's Zags look a lot like the St. Mary's teams that didn't get in. Seems like you have some here who feel similarly, but all I would say from our my experience with SMC is that I wouldn't count on that auto-bid with the year you're having. Those losses to USD and Portland (even though away) are auto-bid poison. That being said, it is probably likely you win in Vegas and it's moot. Good luck, except on March 1.

I agree that our profile is one that looks really iffy for the at-large bid. If we lose another game between now and the conference championship, this will be our first really uncomfortable Selection Sunday of the Mark Few era.

bartruff1
02-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Those losses have no effect on the automatic bid at all....the winner of the WCC Tourney gets the automatic bid regardless of it's season record...

Perhaps you are confusing the auto bid, with the at large bid.... no one is lock to win the Vegas Tournament.....I for one am happy to see a more competitive league.....

MDABE80
02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
We'll get in. We'll beat Pacific. Not so certain we'll win the WCC tournament. Hard to not invite a 6-7 loss team....especially with GU's tradition. I mean seriously..even if it's a 1 seed or something low, we'll be in. BUT wow has this team gone downhill. SOmething's systematically bonkers.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the visit and thanks for your thoughts.

All due respect .... but an RPI of 28 is a little better than SMC's RPI of 46 and 48 (the last 2 years the Gaels were on the "bubble" and were sent to the NIT). For the Zags to be in the Gaels position (i.e. in their most recent "bubble" years) they'd have to lose the last two games of the regular season .... then their opening round of the WCC tourney. RPI forecast has Gonzaga's RPI at 48 if that were to occur. Who knows? It may happen but I hope (and am thinking) that it won't.
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Gonzaga.html

Thanks again for the input.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2014, 02:30 PM
We have an RPI of around 30 at the moment, but it will drop with each loss. At this point, I can't see any scenario with another "good" loss. We have no more Top 50 teams on our schedule and shouldn't see one in the WCC Tourney unless we meet BYU in the championship. Even that loss would hurt our profile in that it would leave us 1-4 against RPI Top 50 teams.

We would be wise to win out in Vegas.

TacomaZAG
02-23-2014, 02:31 PM
We'll get in. We'll beat Pacific. Not so certain we'll win the WCC tournament. Hard to not invite a 6-7 loss team....especially with GU's tradition. I mean seriously..even if it's a 1 seed or something low, we'll be in. BUT wow has this team gone downhill. SOmething's systematically bonkers.

MDABE - What about a 6-7 loss team with NO good wins. By that logic, let's schedule a bunch of cupcakes for the OOC schedule and then simply hold serve at the Kennel in the conference. Mix in a couple of road wins in the WCC (a given every year) and we're in. What if we lose to Pacific, that still falls under the 6-7 loss team if we beat the rest up until the WCC Tourney championship.

It's as much about who you played and, more importantly, who you BEAT. Unfortunately, we haven't beaten anyone and have 2 horrible losses so far. Not good ammo for an "at large" bid, especially if we lose to either Pacific or SMC.

However, I totally concur that this team has gone downhill.......

Go ZAGS

MDABE80
02-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Even with no major league wins and a couple of bad losses, we'll be in if we beat pacific. SMC is another story at home. We can win but something needs to run around and quickly. They know what we do and our coach can't change what he does. BUT (this is key), if the players play to their talent, we can win @SMC as we have before.
I have serious doubts about the WCC tourney being "ours" this year. It's always been a close championship...and the semi's are not going to be won easily with this team,
No matter, we might (well, we will) get a very lousy seed but we'll get in.
I don't think it'll be a long run in the Dance (as usual) but we'll get there.
I hate to say this but we're getting worse when we should be getting better. Those refs last night stunk up the place and it hurt us. We won every category on offense and defense ...just got killed by the refs. We lost of made FT's.

I am a bit sour because of how ensconced Few is with his plans and his player selection. Maybe he'll see a bit more light . BUT we have the horses to win some games...can't beat the homer refs though..no matter who we play. We're in unless we lose to Pacific, SMC and get no wins in the WCC tournament.

Hokis
02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Must win the tourny... And I don't think we will

willandi
02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Methinks I would rather have an 11 seed than an 8,9 or 10.
...and haven't any of you been reading the other threads? The refs were fine in San Diego. It's just how bad the Zags stink! Sounds like loyal fan talk to me. Wonder what the Syracuse boards are like?

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Beat Pacific.

Jamie Z has to leave the room when the committee talks about WCC schools. GU needs to win the next 4 games and make it to the WCC championship game. 27-7 should get them in.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Jamie Z has to leave the room when the committee talks about WCC schools.

Yes, ZZ, he does. I addressed that in post #12 of this thread.
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48995-How-many-more-wins-needed-for-an-at-large&p=989031#post989031

Despite not being "in the room" during the "official" discussion ..... each and every committee member will know exactly what Jamie thinks ..... and they know they'll have to face him when he returns to "the room".

It's a huge advantage to have "your guy" on the committee. Always has been, and (hopefully... at least for this year) always will be.

Mantua
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
I think there's a very chance that we don't make the NCAA tournament.

If Pangos had been rested long enough to heal his toe, our record wouldn't quite as good, but the likelihood of winning the WCC auto bid would have been greatly improved.

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes, ZZ, he does. I addressed that in post #12 of this thread.
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48995-How-many-more-wins-needed-for-an-at-large&p=989031#post989031

Despite not being "in the room" during the "official" discussion ..... each and every committee member will know exactly what Jamie thinks ..... and they know they'll have to face him when he returns to "the room".

It's a huge advantage to have "your guy" on the committee. Always has been, and (hopefully... at least for this year) always will be.

I missed that, I think my ADD was kicking in again after last nights game. I just hope we don't drop another before the WCC starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Looks like Saint Mary's could be the 4 seed in the WCC tourney.
#25 Gonzaga 13-3 -- 23-6
Brigham Young 12-5 1.5 20-10
San Francisco 11-5 2 18-10
Saint Mary's 10-6 3 20-9
Pepperdine 8-8 5 15-13
Portland 7-9 6 15-13
San Diego 7-10 6.5 16-14
Pacific 5-11 8 14-13
Santa Clara 5-11 8 12-17
Loyola Marymount 3-13 10 11-17

GU should play the winner of Pacific vs Santa Clara on Sat, March 8.
Monday, March 10 could face the winner between Saint Mary's vs Pepperdine.

Looks like GU will avoid BYU, USF, USD and Portland in our bracket.

Magic # is still 1.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 08:25 PM
I missed that, I think my ADD was kicking in again after last nights game. I just hope we don't drop another before the WCC starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

No harm. No foul. BTW enjoyed your video clip ..... classic line .... "Playoffs? ..... I just hope we can win a game!" Classic.

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
No harm. No foul. BTW enjoyed your video clip ..... classic line .... "Playoffs? ..... I just hope we can win a game!" Classic.

:cheers:

Zippyzaggy
02-23-2014, 08:33 PM
"How many more wins needed for an at-large?"

We just need another win in the Kennel...oh wait.

Also, I know that refs do not infuence game results. I was simply noticing referee clock/time management issues favoring S.D., as well as 16 more free throws for San Diego?, B.S. foul calls on Karnowski & Pangos (the last which fouled Karnowski out was ridiculous), and a foul NOT being called when CLEARLY we were fouling the inbounds player to get the clock stopped. I could be imagining all of this but when I hear the TV commentators saying it's BS as well, well...

Add 4 road games to end the season, which is almost unheard of yet if only our guards could get their heads out we could have overcome all of the above.

The positive side is that we might win a few games in the NIT....Vent over.

*Serious question...Why is it that anyone thinks Jamie Z will help us? Didn't he try to throw us under the bus before? Tried to kill the cash cow (Zags) in order to promote competitiveness in the W.C.C.? What's to say he doesn't push for BYU in a close call and waxes the Zags? God I feel negative right now....I need massive shots of whiskey. Coming directly!

Mr Vulture
02-24-2014, 09:01 AM
This is completely not true in regards to having to win the conference tournament to make the NCAA's. If we win the league regular season we will be in and its really not close. After this past weekend we are still on the 10 line with Jerry Palm, who always ranks us lower than most, and the 9 line on ESPN. This is still a team with a Top 30 RPI, people are putting way too much stock into a five game stretch that had three road losses. Understand, I don't have high hopes in the tournament but this is absolutely a tournament team barring them losing out the rest of the year. I feel very confident we will get at least a win versus Pacific this week and at least one in the conference tournament which will lock us in at a 10 seed or higher.

Must win the tourny... And I don't think we will

BeachZag
02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
"Things are only impossible until they're not!"
Jean-Luc Picard

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
I think we need to win this week, and at least the first game of the conference tourney to get in.

gonzagafan62