PDA

View Full Version : Most boring team ever

Zagsker
02-22-2014, 11:47 PM
This thought was way before conf play... My bro and I were talking and this GU team is just "blah"..,no excitement, no clutchness...just "blah"

cggonzaga
02-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Agreed.

Oregonzagnut
02-23-2014, 12:07 AM
This thought was way before conf play... My bro and I were talking and this GU team is just "blah"..,no excitement, no clutchness...just "blah"

Well, as has been said before, the team takes on the demeanor and persona of the coach. There have been several players who did not succumb to the doldrums, like Dickau, Turiaf, and Morrison, but those guys were the true leaders on the team.

I say let Few prepare the team all week and coach during the game but let Adam Morrison run the halftime inspirational speeches. This team needs a hype man. There is not much else the team can learn from Few by now that he hasn't already taught them and trained in them. Let them play Few. Let the horses have their head and let them free. It is worth a try at this point because our confidence is low and our team chemistry seems to be way off.

demian
02-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Agree 100%. Very boring team

Ezag
02-23-2014, 08:04 AM
I hear you. Even the fans Kennel at the Kennel bored. Last game I was at, I looked around me and in the sea of fans, about 50% were on theirs phones right in the middle of play. If I had a panoramic camera would have made for a telling picture. I will have to admit, I get excited when Coleman gets to play his 4 minutes a game. The guy looks like he really wants to be out there. I thought after his heroic play in the Portland game, he would see more time but nope, back to the bench.

hooter73
02-23-2014, 08:09 AM
I say let Few prepare the team all week and coach during the game but let Adam Morrison run the halftime inspirational speeches.

Have you ever heard Morrison's public speaking? lol :o

Honestly Ive said it too and my wife picks up on it every "down year." Exciting players like Pargo, KO... they are infectious to the fans and teammates. Even the quite ones like Hart or Bouldin with ice water in his veins, they were exciting to watch.

zags422
02-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Have you ever heard Morrison's public speaking? lol :o

Honestly Ive said it too and my wife picks up on it every "down year." Exciting players like Pargo, KO... they are infectious to the fans and teammates. Even the quite ones like Hart or Bouldin with ice water in his veins, they were exciting to watch.

I actually just started watching AMMO and Raivio highlights during the game last night instead of watching, what appeared, an inevitable loss by our 2nd half play. It's so true all these players you mentioned being exciting, because they all just had the "it" factor. Even Steven Gray would be the best player on this years team. Not a single player this year comes around screens and elevates...all has to be wide open. No shot fakes, no creation...just lob post feeds and occasional kickouts. So many times bouldin or Pargo would grab the ball at the top of the key, stare the opponent down and just shoot right over them!! No one can do that this year.

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Yep.. blahhhh. Obviously never give up on the team but this group seems so uninspired... Losing to teams that really just aren't that good. I put a lot of it on coaching

ZagHouse
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
I think some of the players that could add some excitement are watching from the bench. Start Coleman. Let David come off the bench or even Kevin at this point. Kyle can sub in for Gary, Drew for Gerard. Nunez should be the first in to spell one of our bigs and Ryan should start to see some more minutes. When Shem went out with his fourth foul last night, why not go with Edwards? He is not the Karnosaur but would have provided a similar body. At that point in the game, SD could not stop us inside.

Reborn
02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
I get excited when Coleman gets to play his 4 minutes a game. The guy looks like he really wants to be out there. I thought after his heroic play in the Portland game, he would see more time but nope, back to the bench.

I feel the same way. And I feel the same about Nunez. And just wondering, from game to game, if Few will show the flexibility in his thinking, and begin to let these two guys play more, does keep me excited and hopeful that maybe he will.

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 09:55 AM
I think some of the players that could add some excitement are watching from the bench. Start Coleman. Let David come off the bench or even Kevin at this point. Kyle can sub in for Gary, Drew for Gerard. Nunez should be the first in to spell one of our bigs and Ryan should start to see some more minutes. When Shem went out with his fourth foul last night, why not go with Edwards? He is not the Karnosaur but would have provided a similar body. At that point in the game, SD could not stop us inside.

You mean use Edwards like BYU uses Mika and utilize his size and more importantly HIS FOULS. To keep our 2 main bigs out of so much trouble like they are finding themselves every game... Yeah that exactly what should happen but that is not our coaches style

GoZags
02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Naaah .... at this point in the season I'd have to give the "most boring" award to the '98/'99 squad. Man .... were they boring. At this point in the season they had six losses .... they'd lost to every ranked school they faced (except their home win over Washington) .... they'd lost to Detroit-Mercy ... they'd lost to TCU .... late in the season they lost by 16 @ San Diego. They were boring ..... until February 27, 1999 when they won 3 straight in the WCC tourney and 3 straight in the NCAA tourney before coming 33 seconds and a possession away from the Final Four against eventual NCAA Champion UConn.

This year's "keep you on the edge of your seat" squad ..... who's ending is unknown at this point? FAR from boring (in my opinion).

jim77
02-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Naaah .... at this point in the season I'd have to give the "most boring" award to the '98/'99 squad. Man .... were they boring. At this point in the season they had six losses .... they'd lost to every ranked school they faced (except their home win over Washington) .... they'd lost to Detroit-Mercy ... they'd lost to TCU .... late in the season they lost by 16 @ San Diego. They were boring ..... until February 27, 1999 when they won 3 straight in the WCC tourney and 3 straight in the NCAA tourney before coming 33 seconds and a possession away from the Final Four against eventual NCAA Champion UConn.

This year's "keep you on the edge of your seat" squad ..... who's ending is unknown at this point? FAR from boring (in my opinion).

Yup.

Zagceo
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM

I remember that team.........March 20,1999 ahead at half against UCONN. Monson was the head coach. ;)

MJ777
02-23-2014, 10:59 AM

But that 99 team had decent size starting at the 2 (Santangelo) and 3 (Frahm), and a waterbug (Q) starting at the 1. I defend Stockton against stupid attacks, but I agree that he should not start and should be the back up to Pangos. The 3 guard lineup worked at the beginning of the game for awhile, but I think Nunez, Coleman or at least KD should start at the 3.

Go Zags! Beat Pacific!

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 11:04 AM
The only players on this years team that would get minutes on the 99ers are Sam and Coleman.

Baseline
02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Yup, pretty predictable play. Pass it around the perimeter a while and chuck it up or force it to a big that has 2 guys on him. No screens, no cuts, no real pick and roll. A pick and pop that works well, but is rarely used. I know, lets take our small guards that can't get to the rim and send them down the middle, maybe they will get blocked and we will get the ball close in.
Watch the recorded games, they all look the same, but the problem is getting worse as teams have come to understand what is happening and how to beat this team. Every WCC team now has a pretty good idea how to play us close, if not beat us. Game planning is becoming easy.

Zag Man
02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Yep.. blahhhh. Obviously never give up on the team but this group seems so uninspired... Losing to teams that really just aren't that good. I put a lot of it on coaching

I usually never heep criticism on the team or players, but I sort of agree with Saxon_zag. This group seems very uninspired and un-Zag-like!!!! In the old days the team played with a chip on their shoulders and fought for every point and rebound! They played to win instead of trying not to lose. I'm disappointed the team played with so little fire against both BYU and USD. I can see them losing one of these games, but losing both of them! Inexcusable! All of the momentum after clinching at least a tie for the WCC Championship is gone and now they have a dog fight ahead of them at Pacific and St. Mary's and then the WCC Tournament.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 11:27 AM
The only players on this years team that would get minutes on the 99ers are Sam and Coleman.

Yet at this point of their "miracle" season the '98/'99 squad had 6 losses and had just lost by 16 at USD. Of course that game was played at the USD Sports Center complex (seating 1,425) as it was prior to the building of the Slim Gym.

jim77
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Yup, pretty predictable play. Pass it around the perimeter a while and chuck it up or force it to a big that has 2 guys on him. No screens, no cuts, no real pick and roll. A pick and pop that works well, but is rarely used. I know, lets take our small guards that can't get to the rim and send them down the middle, maybe they will get blocked and we will get the ball close in.
Watch the recorded games, they all look the same, but the problem is getting worse as teams have come to understand what is happening and how to beat this team. Every WCC team now has a pretty good idea how to play us close, if not beat us. Game planning is becoming easy.

Pretty accurate description right there...except you left out the part about getting as far away from the hoop when a shot is taken....wouldn't want to get a second shot. Did ya see how many Picks and screens Johnny Dee was getting(a bunch)....I thought I was seeing the Stephen Curry show part 2.....DEE is a baller. I will give props to GBJ in the second half who did slow him down.

In some weird way I think this "rough patch" is gonna make us better for the tourney then if we had cruised in....if we make it that is:)

Nunez is Rodman...Rodman is Nunez.....he still looks to me like a guy who could dominate the boards....he's the perfect size/speed/athletic guy to do it....and boy do we need it.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Yet at this point of their "miracle" season the '98/'99 squad had 6 losses and had just lost by 16 at USD. Of course that game was played at the USD Sports Center complex (seating 1,425) as it was prior to the building of the Slim Gym.

I was there. It was a hot day. But the Zags passed the eye test even with the losses. Matt and Richie were such cocky players. Hank Egan had a pretty good squad, as I recall. But you tell me, which current players even sniff minutes with the 99ers, I'd love to hear your opinion.

ZAGLAWQB
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Seems like if the negative play, short comings of players, and in general the overall criticism observed, quantified, and espoused on these threads were remotely true, THEN, these coaches and players are one of the most efficient, outstanding teams to grace the Gonzaga campus since Hank was calling the shots.
PS: For most of you, please be advised the ball is "blown up and not stuffed".

And, please expect releases for your signature as the "Little Sisters of the Poor" are authoring a book entitled "Comical Basketball Blogs, aka, Educated Individuals Who Apparently Couldn't Make Their Intramural Teams in College!, But Have Gained A World Of "Baller" Expertise Riding A Stationary Bike At Their Athletic Clubs". The good sisters have agreed to protect your anonymity and your posts will not be directly attributed to any individual.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
I was there. It was a hot day. But the Zags passed the eye test even with the losses. Matt and Richie were such cocky players. Hank Egan had a pretty good squad, as I recall. But you tell me, which current players even sniff minutes with the 99ers, I'd love to hear your opinion.

At the end of the '99 season? When everything came together? Or earlier in the season, when Richie couldn't dribble or pass to save himself. The thing I liked about that team is that they went 10 (sometimes 11) deep. I think a healthy Pangos gets minutes on that team .... I think Sam gets minutes on that team .... I think Gary Bell Jr is in the rotation .... I think Barham gets minutes ..... I think Karnowski gets minutes. The difficult thing to quantify is what any of these non-99ers would do for "chemistry". Guys like Mike Leisure .... Jeremy Eaton .... Mike Nilson .... they all helped on the floor and with the chemistry. Heck .... even Lucas Meilke (who I consider a Mark Spink clone) could have had minutes on that team. It's difficult to quantify.

But my point was .... until the magical run (starting about now ... late Feb) there wasn't anything "special" about that squad. It took a last second three to beat #300 Texas Pan-American that year.

MJ777
02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
At the end of the '99 season? When everything came together? Or earlier in the season, when Richie couldn't dribble or pass to save himself. The thing I liked about that team is that they went 10 (sometimes 11) deep. I think a healthy Pangos gets minutes on that team .... I think Sam gets minutes on that team .... I think Gary Bell Jr is in the rotation .... I think Barham gets minutes ..... I think Karnowski gets minutes. The difficult thing to quantify is what any of these non-99ers would do for "chemistry". Guys like Mike Leisure .... Jeremy Eaton .... Mike Nilson .... they all helped on the floor and with the chemistry. Heck .... even Lucas Meilke (who I consider a Mark Spink clone) could have had minutes on that team. It's difficult to quantify.

But my point was .... until the magical run (starting about now ... late Feb) there wasn't anything "special" about that squad. It took a last second three to beat #300 Texas Pan-American that year.

So you're saying there's a chance. +1

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Jazz's bandwagon did not pull up until they won the WCC. So making salient points is wasted on him, because there is not Way PK would would have played over Eaton or Spink, and a healthy Pangos/Bell could not have seen the light of day, instead Coleman would have been on the court(just when did Jazzy jump on the Coleman hype train). I am sure ol Jazz would have been all over this site (had it existed) extolling the cockiness of Santangelo and Frahm after losses to Detroit Mercy and TCU. Had GUB existed at that time he would have been all over MS for shooting too much(37% from the field), Q for being to Q, Frahm being to hot and cold.

Gozags too bad your original point was lost on Jazz, The 98-99 team was an imperfect team that got hot at exactly the right time, a team that had ups and downs over the year and even struggled to beat a very depleted Gopher squad in the first round. Lots of parallels to this years squad. 99 squad found that "it factor" that made the run possible. Do not know if this team finds it or not, but in 99 at this same point of the season we were just praying the Zags would get in, nice to have a little perspective.

75Zag
02-23-2014, 12:27 PM
The Bulldogs play under Few's system. I do not know what the technical name of Few's system is (flex? motion? set motion? other?) but it is what it is. Few obviously likes his system and he likes players who fit and who will play well within his system. So far as I can tell, all incoming freshmen players are recruited by Few because they appear to fit the Few system.

We are fortunate to have a couple transfer players on the GU bench who have amazing personal skills and who I really like watching. Slashing athleticism and "devil may care" ball handling is thrilling to watch, especially for a guy like me who has grown up watching mostly half-court sets. But those athletic slashing players do not - at least to my untrained eye - appear to fit well within the Few system.

I wonder how many of the people who are "bored" or who are clamoring to see more of Coleman or Nunez are really saying that they are tired of the Few system, and that they wish to see more of the wide open, fast break, run and gun, slash and burn style of play. I do not think that is going to happen on Few's watch. But what do I know.

Go Bulldogs!

sylean
02-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Coleman

Nunez

they'd be exciting if they were let loose......just sayin

thespywhozaggedme
02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Honest question: Is there one person on this tem that has the fire that Casey Calvary did? And also, Munson was the HC of that team, not Few; that has to be acknowledged.

Zagceo
02-23-2014, 01:21 PM
The Bulldogs play under Few's system. I do not know what the technical name of Few's system is (flex? motion? set motion? other?) but it is what it is. Few obviously likes his system and he likes players who fit and who will play well within his system. So far as I can tell, all incoming freshmen players are recruited by Few because they appear to fit the Few system.

We are fortunate to have a couple transfer players on the GU bench who have amazing personal skills and who I really like watching. Slashing athleticism and "devil may care" ball handling is thrilling to watch, especially for a guy like me who has grown up watching mostly half-court sets. But those athletic slashing players do not - at least to my untrained eye - appear to fit well within the Few system.

I wonder how many of the people who are "bored" or who are clamoring to see more of Coleman or Nunez are really saying that they are tired of the Few system, and that they wish to see more of the wide open, fast break, run and gun, slash and burn style of play. I do not think that is going to happen on Few's watch. But what do I know.

Go Bulldogs!

Coach Few has been recruiting kids for 25 years. Did he make a mistake in giving scholarships to Coleman and Nunez?

vandalzag
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Coach Few has been recruiting kids for 25 years. Did he make a mistake in giving scholarships to Coleman and Nunez?

Both players came to GU for to be part of winning program and to become better players. They saw the coach and his system as a way to accomplish that. Both are part of a team that has won 23 games and is at the worst will share the conference championship. Seems like all parties made a good choice.

Saxon_zag
02-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Both players came to GU for to be part of winning program and to become better players. They saw the coach and his system as a way to accomplish that. Both are part of a team that has won 23 games and is at the worst will share the conference championship. Seems like all parties made a good choice.

rainbows