PDA

View Full Version : GU-USD Post Game radio

Section 116
02-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Hudson-Very similar to what happened in Provo, USD hits a big shot at the end of the half, then came out to open the second half with a run and the Zags could never sustain a run in the second half. GU cut into the lead a couple times but they never had that run and never overcame the halftime deficit.

GU shot 50% from the field, USD shot 40.4%, but USD is plus 17 I believe from the line. Hudson and Violette noted however that plus 17 was a lot because USD was the clear aggressor this evening and there was no mention of officiating.

The first time the Bulldogs lost a road sweep since USF and Santa Clara in 2006/07.

Violette where do you want the ball, who's going to take the shot, we haven't seen a guy step up and who is going to take the tough shot. Pangos and Bell have to be part of the conversation. They worked the ball into Dower and he took the shots late in the game but you have to have a guy step up and take the shot.

Hudson said he will be talking to Few on the Monday radio show about the exact same scenario at Provo where the big shot is hit at the end of the half and USD goes on the big run which is 16-4 at the end of the half and the beginning of the second half. There just isn't a knockout punch, there are a bunch of jabs by the opposition and the Zags clearly have a lack of confidence right now where they can overcome a second half deficit.

Violette said nothing USD was doing was stopping Dower and Karnowski, so the Zags should have kept delivering the ball into the post. Those two guys pretty much had their way underneath and there really was no reason to not feed the post every time, at least until USD showed they could stop it. Sam appears to be the only guy who wants the ball right now. The backcourt just didn't get it down tonight. Violette said the Zags just didn't go into the post enough tonight or they would have had more free throws, the Zags are not a penetrating team.

It appears there will be no post game coach interview so I'll post this with just the comments of Hudson and Violette.

Oops Lloyd just came out. Tip your cap to USD, I don't know if we're just a little flat or tired but we need to go home and right the ship. Our defense wasn't great today and maybe a bad game plan by the coaches. We gotta get to the free throw line, our guards have to penetrate and get some chances at the line.

Our agenda has to be to get better for the WCC and the NCAA. It's not easy to close this thing out against teams that want to beat and deny you. You had to be dreaming if you thought we would go 4-0 on this road trip.
Our defense wasn't good tonight, we gotta figure out where the breakdowns are coming from and fix "em".

Zags11
02-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Ugh.

ZaginLaw
02-23-2014, 04:20 AM
Ugh is right. It seems like the coaching staff told the team they are crazy if they thought they could go 4-0 on this road trip and the team believed them. I don't know when that shot of Few in ESPN's summary video was taken but it he has loss all over his face. Just hope it wasn't before tip off.

What I'd give to have Few mimic his friend Bohiem and get tossed, sans the swearing, at get some fire in the program's belly.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Tom seemed unconcerned, even buoyant. He was diminishing expectations post facto. Like, you fans are nuts for thinking we could actually go 4-0; on the ROAD? Ok, now we are possible 2-2, that's pretty good. Seems like a perfect Few clone. Cory is a voice in the polly wilderness. It must pain him as an all-time competitor to point out that no one on this team has the guts (my word) to step up and shoot. The post game show continues to be hilarious, with equal parts spin and commercials.

GoZags
02-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Tom seemed unconcerned, even buoyant. He was diminishing expectations post facto. Like, you fans are nuts for thinking we could actually go 4-0; on the ROAD? Ok, now we are possible 2-2, that's pretty good. Seems like a perfect Few clone. Cory is a voice in the polly wilderness. It must pain him as an all-time competitor to point out that no one on this team has the guts (my word) to step up and shoot. The post game show continues to be hilarious, with equal parts spin and commercials.

Maybe they should shake up the post game format ..... After Hudson and Violette break down the game get some real coaches who know what's going on to call in and be interviewed. You'd be a great candidate for this .... as would many other GuBoards experts.

Despite the disappointing loss the Zags have a 2 game lead on the league with 2 games left. As the spinmaster said in the post game it's not going to be easy to close this thing out.

Beat Pacific.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Maybe they should shake up the post game format ..... After Hudson and Violette break down the game get some real coaches who know what's going on to call in and be interviewed. You'd be a great candidate for this .... as would many other GuBoards experts.

Despite the disappointing loss the Zags have a 2 game lead on the league with 2 games left. As the spinmaster said in the post game it's not going to be easy to close this thing out.

Beat Pacific.

An objective voice would be refreshing, if that's your point, however sarcastic. No one expects the staff to act against their self interest and offer truly insightful views. There is no doubt they know what ails the team better than anyone. So they offer just enough pablum for the tuners-in. But is there an objective voice extant in Spokane? As I said, Cory is terrific, if you read between the lines.

Zagger
02-23-2014, 06:14 AM
if this is a qutoe "You had to be dreaming if you thought we would go 4-0 on this road trip." then there are no dreamers on the Zags team/staff. I was hoping Drew would be a Mike Hart this year. Right now that's the Zag from last year's team I'm missing the most. Mike went after it 110%. I'm struggling with trying to be realistic in my assessment and expectations for this season's team and not arriving at as positive of a viewpoint of the season as I'd like. Kevin not being at 100% is a factor that there should be an answer for. The final two road games will be telling.

hooter73
02-23-2014, 08:05 AM
with respect, our guards dont need to penetrate, they do that and get blocked at least three times a game, they need to shoot.

ZaginLaw
02-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Maybe I'm getting old but I remember when coaches with worse records than Few & Co. would say they wanted to go 4-0 on the road, show disgust for not doing so, then state they'll reconfigure and go for 2-0 on the road. Before everyone overreacts, it's a distinction with a difference. What separates success and failure is inches not feet, one decision in a game of multiple decisions, and competitive spirit like K & Bohiem.

Vanzagger
02-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Maybe I'm getting old but I remember when coaches with worse records than Few & Co. would say they wanted to go 4-0 on the road, show disgust for not doing so, then state they'll reconfigure and go for 2-0 on the road. Before everyone overreacts, it's a distinction with a difference. What separates success and failure is inches not feet, one decision in a game of multiple decisions, and competitive spirit like K & Bohiem.

That was well said. Thank you for that

MJ777
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Have the Zags become Average Joes from the movie Dodgeball? "Aim Low."

Baseline
02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
It seems to me Few is in a real rut in his thinking! What bothers me is what are the other coaches saying and doing to counterbalance what is going on. Is Few not listening or are they all too scared to say what needs to be said. I would love to listen to what is being said in the coaches meetings, for it sure seems like the subject matter isn't correct.