PDA

View Full Version : Boeheim?

DixieZag
02-22-2014, 05:16 PM
WTH?

It was a 50/50 call - - can argue it should be a no call, can argue it should be a block or it can easily be argued it was, in fact, a charge (easily argued).

So what in the hell is a guy with 30 years experience doing running around the mid court like a crazed high school coach yelling something I can't print in the MBB?

I know he's supposed to be a good guy but, if I'm the A.D. at Syracuse, that gets addressed. He embarrassed himself big time.

GoZags
02-22-2014, 05:29 PM
His team had been getting hosed all game. At least that's how I saw it. Still doesn't excuse it but he had a lot of pent up frustration.

WTH?

It was a 50/50 call - - can argue it should be a no call, can argue it should be a block or it can easily be argued it was, in fact, a charge (easily argued).

So what in the hell is a guy with 30 years experience doing running around the mid court like a crazed high school coach yelling something I can't print in the MBB?

I know he's supposed to be a good guy but, if I'm the A.D. at Syracuse, that gets addressed. He embarrassed himself big time.

Zagceo
02-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Time to get out when you lose it like that. Looked foolish.

sittingon50
02-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Think I'll hang onto my rocks. My glass house isn't paid for yet.

wnczagfan
02-22-2014, 06:03 PM
"So, Jim, tell us how you really feel about it."

bartruff1
02-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Well, he lost the game...but he has won nearly 950...... including a NC.... 4 or so FF and about 30 trips to the dance.... he can fire the AD anytime he wants...

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 06:32 PM
I think coach decided to be flexible and change things and make an in game adjustment.

wnczagfan
02-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I think coach decided to be flexible and change things and make an in game adjustment.

LOL

caduceus
02-22-2014, 06:45 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/ilqOZQZUMFo3xGqZYk/giphy.gif

Ekrub
02-22-2014, 06:47 PM
It was awesome. Love to see passion like that in coaches. Unfortunate that it cost his team a chance to tie the game however.

bballbeachbum
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
at Camden, I give him some credit...they'll make fun of him every time Syracuse plays there forever now, but I'll hang on to my rocks too

RenoZag
02-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I'd pay good money to see Mark Few lose his sh!t like that just once. . .

DixieZag
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Well, I mean we can all relate to losing it in our lives. I guess I was thinking more on the lines of - a guy like that's been around the block. Even if he was getting hosed all night, it wasn't that bad a call and it was just incredibly odd.

And I'm not saying the A.D. can fire him (you're right, it probably works the other way around) but I'm thinking the A.D. says that he needs to come out and act apologetic. It just was weird. If a guy want's to scream and let everyone know it was awful (in his opinion) well, that's what T's are for, stomp up and down, scream about how bad the guy is and get a regular T. This was like throwing a chair weird - except he has no real history of it - which makes it weirder. Everyone knew Knight's fuse was already at Def-Con 4.

Just strange. I love passion, too.

Ekrub
02-22-2014, 07:06 PM

We should start a GuBoards gofundme and get this to happen.

Zagceo
02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Boeheim lost a me as a fan when he came out and defended his child molester assistant before he had the facts.

DADoZAG
02-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Well played!

Thing is, might be exactly what it was.

Go ZAGS!

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Why? Because it worked so well for coach B tonight? The coach is so pissed that he is getting the home court treatment that he takes away any chance to win. Because his team never gets the benefit of the home court when playing in the Dome? He could have thrown his fit from the box and still given his kids a chance to win. Instead he decided to quit. There are plenty of ways to work a ref, this was not one of them.

CDC84
02-22-2014, 07:29 PM
It wasn't a 50/50 call. It was a terrible call.

What many people don't understand about the new rule is that a shooter's motion doesn't start when he elevates off the floor. It starts when he picks the ball up off the floor. When Fair picked up the ball off the floor, Hood was up the line guarding Grant. At that point it becomes an automatic blocking call on Hood if he attempts to take a charge.

On top of this, Hood was moving and wasn't positioned squarely.

JB is right. One of the worst calls of the year when you consider how it impacted the game.

RenoZag
02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Why?

Why not ? Fire in the belly can be a good thing. I don't disagree with your points re: Boeheim's timing @ Cameron this evening. I realize the gospel according to St. Mark doesn't allow for such things and we'll likely never see him have that much passion. Likely we won't see him have the same success as Boeheim either.

northsidezagfan
02-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Likely we won't see him have the same success as Boeheim either.

Hey!!!!! 80%!

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Why not ? Fire in the belly can be a good thing. I don't disagree with your points re: Boeheim's timing @ Cameron this evening. I realize the gospel according to St. Mark doesn't allow for such things and we'll likely never see him have that much passion. Likely we won't see him have the same success as Boeheim either.
So Boeheim's success is due to him having fire and getting T'd up? Few could go Bobby Knight throws some chairs and choke a player to get them to play harder. Maybe Pangos should show some fire and go into the stands like Marcus Smart did. How do you think coach B would have reacted had it been Tyler Ennis getting the double T and ejection with 10 seconds. You do not have to jump up and down like an idiot to have fire in the belly .
Also the St. Mark comment was weak, would expect more from a moderator.

RenoZag
02-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Do you expect moderators to toe some sort of party line ? Good luck with that.

B-hamZag
02-22-2014, 07:53 PM
I thought it was a bad call. I loved his passion, it was to much and did cost him the game but I still think the the official should have just let it go with only 10 sec left. I love passion and I think it was one thing the zags miss this year. I felt in the Memphis and BYU we didn't have any passion to win. No one was hungry to score. We need it tonight to win. I would also pay money to see Few give that kind of passion once....only once.

sittingon50
02-22-2014, 08:01 PM

:roll:

DixieZag
02-22-2014, 08:05 PM
So Boeheim's success is due to him having fire and getting T'd up? Few could go Bobby Knight throws some chairs and choke a player to get them to play harder. Maybe Pangos should show some fire and go into the stands like Marcus Smart did. How do you think coach B would have reacted had it been Tyler Ennis getting the double T and ejection with 10 seconds. You do not have to jump up and down like an idiot to have fire in the belly .
Also the St. Mark comment was weak, would expect more from a moderator.

You've been uncharacteristically harsh and personal with people with differing opinions lately. There's room for all sides, including yours, which is totally valid. That one to Reno is just off the wall. Everyone knows Few is a "no-drama" guy and that's both good and bad. Saying you want him to have a "little" more fire isn't saying throw chairs and you know that.

I know the ESPN guys are apologists for not rocking the boat and I thought they were fairly 50-50 with it. But even if it was a total blown call, he's coached 30 years, long enough to know you're going to get hosed in road games in conference. There's plenty of ways to send the exact same message - total apoplectic disapproval - without coming close to losing sanity along with temper, and then maybe getting a make up call with 10 seconds left.

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Do you expect moderators to toe some sort of party line ? Good luck with that.

Actually yes that is why you are a moderator and decide what is offensive and not on this site, a little different from towing a party line (that is why you make the big money on this site). If you want to comment like us common folk you have to give up the crown. If you stoop to our level there will be anarchy.

surfmonkey89
02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I think it was part JB just losing it (which was an automatic T), and a long-term play that says "We may be new to the ACC, but we're not going to put up with all the b.s. the other teams have when they play here". I definitely think his reaction was exacerbated by him coming into the game knowing how things go in Durham.

Still, automatic T.

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 08:18 PM
You've been uncharacteristically harsh and personal with people with differing opinions lately. There's room for all sides, including yours, which is totally valid. That one to Reno is just off the wall. Everyone knows Few is a "no-drama" guy and that's both good and bad. Saying you want him to have a "little" more fire isn't saying throw chairs and you know that.

I know the ESPN guys are apologists for not rocking the boat and I thought they were fairly 50-50 with it. But even if it was a total blown call, he's coached 30 years, long enough to know you're going to get hosed in road games in conference. There's plenty of ways to send the exact same message - total apoplectic disapproval - without coming close to losing sanity along with temper, and then maybe getting a make up call with 10 seconds left.

Room for all sides agreed, I said my piece. Any rational analysis of the what happened would say that getting the T was flat out stupid. Asking Few to do something out of character would accomplish what? Other than appeasing the wants of the ill informed. Want to see fire in the belly, go to practice see how he coaches. Costing your team points is not smart.

GoZags
02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Actually yes that is why you are a moderator and decide what is offensive and not on this site, a little different from towing a party line (that is why you make the big money on this site). If you want to comment like us common folk you have to give up the crown. If you stoop to our level there will be anarchy.

You're taking the position that "Mods" can't express themselves? I'll beg to differ.

DixieZag
02-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Room for all sides agreed, I said my piece. Any rational analysis of the what happened would say that getting the T was flat out stupid. Asking Few to do something out of character would accomplish what? Other than appeasing the wants of the ill informed. Want to see fire in the belly, go to practice see how he coaches. Costing your team points is not smart.

Agree with every word.

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 08:50 PM
You're taking the position that "Mods" can't express themselves? I'll beg to differ.

Actually not even remotely close to what I said, but feel free to read what you want. I did not even say the comment was out of line, I thought the St. Mark comment was just weak as in lacking imagination. Also based upon the my post that you quoted you may have been able to deduce that it was done in jest.

Mantua
02-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Yeah!

RenoZag
02-22-2014, 10:41 PM
. . . go to practice see how he coaches. . .

Does he limit his options in practice also ?

Zags11
02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Keep on going...classic. Lol. No really

jim77
02-23-2014, 01:28 AM
couple of more losses and you might.......Few needs to let it out and get tossed.

TravelinZag
02-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Coach Boeheim's conduct was calculated, and successful. Only in mathematics was the game not over when the charge call was made. The coach's behavior shifted the focus, and the blame for the loss, onto himself. Bravo! Only a handful of coaches are successful and have also demonstrated that their kids come first. Boeheim, K, Izzo are in this very small group (definitely less than ten). You can add some others, but it is a truly elite group. Coach B's conduct does deserve
criticism. If you watch him before, during and after his rush on the court, and listen to his comments afterwords, his motivation is clear. And admirable.

bartruff1
02-23-2014, 08:18 AM
I have a different opinion.... he lost a important game...nothing to be gained by that kind of nonsense...but he was very witty and charming in the post game interview and so.. he will get a pass and he should after 40 years..... completely out of character.

DixieZag
02-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Coach Boeheim's conduct was calculated, and successful. Only in mathematics was the game not over when the charge call was made. The coach's behavior shifted the focus, and the blame for the loss, onto himself. Bravo! Only a handful of coaches are successful and have also demonstrated that their kids come first. Boeheim, K, Izzo are in this very small group (definitely less than ten). You can add some others, but it is a truly elite group. Coach B's conduct does deserve
criticism. If you watch him before, during and after his rush on the court, and listen to his comments afterwords, his motivation is clear. And admirable.

Calculated?

I guess that's your opinion and is valid as anyone else's but a "calculated" move could well have been to get a normal technical to get the focus away from the team. There's also the consideration that even if it was successful, he really looked ridiculous. Plus, I don't think it was just "mathematically" still a game. With 10 seconds left, he needed only to immediately foul and then one of two missed ft gives you the ball with a look for a three to tie with 9 full seconds (an eternity for fast, long players).

Vanzagger
02-23-2014, 08:54 AM
You can't argue he doesn't understand the big picture. They practice that zone nonstop and no one has more length. How did he get those kids to come to Syracuse?

On a side note I can't defend anyone who tried to protect someone who may have hurt kids.

Zagceo
02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
You can't argue he doesn't understand the big picture. They practice that zone nonstop and no one has more length. How did he get those kids to come to Syracuse?

On a side note I can't defend anyone who tried to protect someone who may have hurt kids.

Agree

zagamatic
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I have a bit of a different take on him blowing a gasket. I've kinda gotten the impression over the last two years that he's thinking about retirement. I can't state any specific examples, just kind of a gut feeling. And personally, if I were a coach, it would probably be on my bucket list to lose my friggin mind over a bad call in a huge game on the road. I know. I know. Bad form, poor sportsmanship, blah blah. .....but it's gotta feel good to finally just have that release.And let's be honest, Syracuse can literally lose every game between now and the tournament and still get a better seed than us, so what damage does it really do?

GoZags
02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Boeheim is everywhere.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/photos-jim-boeheims-meltdown-gets-memed

My two favorites? Boeheim running with the Bulls and Boeheim ski-jumping. What say you?

ZagaZags
02-23-2014, 08:53 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/ilqOZQZUMFo3xGqZYk/giphy.gif

That was me last night with 8 min to go losing it on a San Diego fan when he yelled get that Polack. Needless to say he shut up after that.

CDC84
02-23-2014, 10:37 PM
What made me laugh were JB's post game comments. That his ejection went well in that he wanted to see if he could go crazy out there on the floor at his age without getting injured.

He tried to rip his coat off but kind of failed.

Zagceo
02-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Boeheim says he would do it again. Enough said.

23dpg
02-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Boeheim says he would do it again. Enough said.

Enough said? I could not disagree more.
Regardless of what he thought of the call, he cost his team a chance to win. The game was still in dispute and Syracuse has won more than a few games this year down late like that. What would happen to a Syracuse player who went ballistic over a close call while down 2 with 10ish seconds to go? I'm guessing he would be in Boeheim's doghouse pretty big.
I like Boeheim and think he is a great coach. But he was dead wrong in this situation and there is very little gray area. If I was a player on the court, I would be pissed to the gills at him right now.
If he had waited until the game was out of doubt, then went off, I would not have much of an issue with it. Poise. You ask it of your players, show it as a coach.

Zagceo
02-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Enough said? I could not disagree more.
Regardless of what he thought of the call, he cost his team a chance to win. The game was still in dispute and Syracuse has won more than a few games this year down late like that. What would happen to a Syracuse player who went ballistic over a close call while down 2 with 10ish seconds to go? I'm guessing he would be in Boeheim's doghouse pretty big.
I like Boeheim and think he is a great coach. But he was dead wrong in this situation and there is very little gray area. If I was a player on the court, I would be pissed to the gills at him right now.
If he had waited until the game was out of doubt, then went off, I would not have much of an issue with it. Poise. You ask it of your players, show it as a coach.

Enough said as in the guy has lost it. Sorry was not more clear.