PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards The next great Zag

zag buddy
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM
I believe I see a ton of potential in Ryan Edwards. It not the obvious things we all see but the little things like his great awareness at all times of where the ball is an what is going to happen. You really can't teach that. Also his soft hands and catch and shoot attitude are great. A year to turn his body into it's potential strength are going to make him an amazing player. I will forcast one of our best ever. Go Zags

Zagdawg
02-21-2014, 03:58 PM
I really like what I am seeing early also. He moves well for a big guy-- give him the summer in the weight room and conditioning (without illness) and he will be a solid player for us.

82% from the FT line for a big man is outstanding

fedwayzag
02-21-2014, 04:00 PM
My brother and I were wondering before the BYU game why he was not getting more PT. After last night it makes me wonder even more.

GoZags
02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
I like Ryan Edwards but my money is on Kyle Wiltjer as "the next great Zag"

jazzdelmar
02-21-2014, 04:16 PM
His foul shooting alone makes him six to seven points more productive than the incumbent. And don't sleep on Meikle.

GPGUgrad
02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
I like Ryan Edwards but my money is on Kyle Wiltjer as "the next great Zag"

I am excited to watch them both play… next year.

GPGUgrad
02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
His foul shooting alone makes him six to seven points more productive than the incumbent. And don't sleep on Meikle.

+1

Why haven't we seen much of Meikle?

Ekrub
02-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Bringing Mika off the bench to allow other guys to absorb fouls was smart. Like to see meikle and edwards be used like that a little more.

CDC84
02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Would really love to see Ryan redshirt next year (it's too bad he couldn't take a medical redshirt this year) and follow the Olynyk plan to reshape his body. But that depends on whether the Zags land Sabonis. I like his potential.

NumberCruncher
02-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Bringing Mika off the bench to allow other guys to absorb fouls was smart. Like to see meikle and edwards be used like that a little more.

Was thinking the same thing. Trouble is, it's quite a gamble as a strategy. A bit desperate, even. Given their situation in the standings and being on the bubble, I agree it was a smart move. Not only did it preserve Mika, but it got into Karno's head. It's hard to imagine Few doing that.

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Would really love to see Ryan redshirt next year (it's too bad he couldn't take a medical redshirt this year) and follow the Olynyk plan to reshape his body. But that depends on whether the Zags land Sabonis. I like his potential.

That's funny, I was literally thinking the exact same thing last night after the game; red shirt Edwards and Meikle next year with Shem, Sabonis, Kyle and Angel getting the time at the bigs.

MDABE80
02-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Few's blown a year of this kid's eligibility. Good to have a molible big like Ryan in waiting. For the few games he's seen court time, he might as well have just worked through this year as a redshirt. Good player. He'll be better.

Oregonzagnut
02-21-2014, 05:27 PM
I like Edwards too (I like all our guys) but it is clear that it doesn't matter what happens in the first half, Few has decided what he is going to do in the 2nd half regardless.

Edwards could still redshirt if Wiltjer is replacing Dower, Edwards may still be in the same spot on the bench next year as well.

vandalzag
02-21-2014, 05:50 PM

So you are saying by this time next year he will be averaging 17 pts per game and at least 7 boards (but I am sure he would average more since improvement in one area over PK would have to carry over to others) next year, which at the least would be WCC MVP territory and would be bordering on a 3rd team All American mention. You are basing this upon a player that has amassed a total of 30 minutes this year and has scored a total of 18 points and grabbed 16 board through 10 games he has played.

You used to get all twisted with people who were the polly's or those having too much hyperbole regarding players potential. Now you are saying that based solely on his FT's he will supplant PK and improve PK's output by 7 points giving the same amount of playing time. I am with you in regards to liking the kid (who you was part of the recruiting class that your were mocking prior to the start of the year) but how about we let him come in to his own. Saying things like this is as foolish as those who said PK was one and done last year. And much like the thought that PK was an an NBA ready player, Edwards is not ready for prime time so there is no need to hype him up as being superior to PK, unless of course it is a FT contest to see who goes shirts and skins then I am all in on Edwards. Edwards has some nice attributes, but he needs time. How about instead of the standard this player is better than the other, we go with this player will be a nice addition to what we already possess.

Zagdawg
02-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Abe......I'm noticing a trend....cynical much? Few "blew" a year of his eligibility. Two things occur to redshirt an athlete-- the coaching staff encourages it and the student agrees to the option.

I believe we went through this at the beginning of the year due to the depth at the big position.....Angel becoming eligible late, the need for depth in Maui, Shems propensity to foul early in the year, Sams injury etc-- everyone is in agreement that Edwards would have been the perfect candidate for a redshirt (especially with the challenges he went through early in the year).

I was very happy to see Edwards available in the BYU game ---would we have gone into the half tied if he was not available? Will he be the difference maker later in the year as we move through the WCC tourney and the dance if our bigs get into foul trouble again against a team with strong bigs? Don't know yet-- but we will see.

As we have seen, a Zag can take a redshirt year after their freshman year and it can make a significant difference in their development.

Go Zags

vandalzag
02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Few's blown a year of this kid's eligibility. Good to have a molible big like Ryan in waiting. For the few games he's seen court time, he might as well have just worked through this year as a redshirt. Good player. He'll be better.

Just wondering do you know if Edwards wanted to redshirt, since the policy regarding the redshirt has been based upon the kids willingness to redshirt. Not all programs sit kids, some let them earn playing time based upon ability, competition, and circumstance. Also how much time would he get if he sat this year and came in next year with PK, KW and a potential Euro big on the roster.

adoptedzag
02-21-2014, 07:21 PM
It's amazing that after 5 minutes of play people have convinced themselves he's better then karnowski, should play more , and will be great. LOLLLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To discount that opinion means that you think he didn't pass the "eye test" against the 2nd best team in our league. Granted playing time was spotty, but given that he's not used as much, he was gassed after a couple of minutes. More playing time, at game speed against real opposition gets you into shape with a quickness.

ZAGLAWQB
02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Watched Ryan throughout high school, including early years in the summer...have had limited personal contact with he and family away from basketball...His potential is and will be defined by his own focus and desire as he is very coachable even though this is all new to him. I am confident that the staff understands his "basketball status" as it applies to him personally and the program overall. Time and practice along with his size and growing skills could make for one memorable Zag player. I sincerely hope what's best for Ryan fits the teams needs over the next year and the following 3(2) depending on his chance to redshirt. Sometimes patience by all parties involved is very difficult and yet more important than any shot he takes in the next 24 months. Hope everyone, Ryan, family, coaches, and teammates have some fun along the way as it ultimately goes so fast.

Baseline
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Ryan has very good potential and is a hard worker willing to train to reach his goals, just look at how hard he worked before getting to GU. Getting sick has really hurt his development and place on the roster.
Ryan has natural instincts for the game that can't be taught. Right now he is learning the system and getting used to D1 speed, you only get used to it by getting game time experience, so this is my frustration of him not getting more minutes.

I get a little upset when I hear we need another big desperately, that sure isn't obvious to me. Also, the talk of Ryan needing to red shirt is someone like Sabonis comes in. I think it very foolish to believe Ryan could not compete and be the better player. I get the feeling that he is being sold short.

Right now Shem is the better player, but long term I believe Ryan has way more upside. I believe him to be a better shooter than Shem an is more fluid than Shem with the ball. Shem has really made strides in defense, so at this point he is ahead of Ryan, but Ryan has natural instincts here and I was surprised at his move to block a shot the other night. It appears that who ever has been coaching Shem has also been talking to Ryan.

In my opinion Ryan needs to be more assertive both on offense and defense, he is holding himself back by not having a bit more attitude while playing, but that is hard to do when your not seeing the floor. I believe we have some real talent in this kid, I hope we don't waste it.

maynard g krebs
02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
His foul shooting alone makes him six to seven points more productive than the incumbent.

No it doesn't. Karnowski makes 2.6 of 5.2 ft's per game according to ESPN. If Karno shot Edwards' ft%, he would have 47 more points in 28 games, which is 1.7 more points per game.

Of course, that would have to be balanced against Edwards' 2/7 fg's in 59 minutes v Karno's .576 fg%, and more important the fact that he commands defensive attn in the post, as well as his superior D.

I agree that Edwards can be pretty good in the future, but throwing out gibberish, i.e. stating the effect of something as about 4 times what it is in reality to bash "the incumbent" speaks for itself.

maynard g krebs
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM

No choice but to play him early after whiffing on the transfers and w/ Nunez ineligible. And he can likely rs next yr if he wishes. No blown eligibility.

bballbeachbum
02-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Watched Ryan throughout high school, including early years in the summer...have had limited personal contact with he and family away from basketball...His potential is and will be defined by his own focus and desire as he is very coachable even though this is all new to him. I am confident that the staff understands his "basketball status" as it applies to him personally and the program overall. Time and practice along with his size and growing skills could make for one memorable Zag player. I sincerely hope what's best for Ryan fits the teams needs over the next year and the following 3(2) depending on his chance to redshirt. Sometimes patience by all parties involved is very difficult and yet more important than any shot he takes in the next 24 months. Hope everyone, Ryan, family, coaches, and teammates have some fun along the way as it ultimately goes so fast.

in the old days I'd give this post a positive rep. thanks

zagamatic
02-22-2014, 07:13 PM
The thing that still makes absolutely no sense to me is why we go small ball if Sam or Shem has to come out when Ryan has proven time and again that he DESERVES A CHANCE

DixieZag
02-22-2014, 07:16 PM
A good five minutes is pretty early to see much of anything in his play over a year.

I don't think it is too little to judge his poise, which I think is significant. He came into one of the most hostile places we play all year and played with concentration and poise. Good hands, good nose for the ball. I think that is indicative of something but it's for going forward, not as much about this year. There have been whole games that PK looked like an NBAer (and good FT shooter too) it's a good sign but not enough time to make PT decisions upon.

Zagsker
02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
It's amazing that after 5 minutes of play people have convinced themselves he's better then karnowski, should play more , and will be great. LOLLLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sacre has Spud Webb leaps compared to Karno

MDABE80
02-22-2014, 07:55 PM
I could easily have missed that! lol