PDA

View Full Version : The One and Only Issue with this Team..

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
We do not have one single player on the roster right now that can create his own shot..

And every time we get into tight games, we pass it around the perimeter and try to find a good look from 3 or possibly a pass into the paint.

Coleman is the only one and he can only create for lay ups.

I use to think Pangos could, but he can't.

Don't ask me why Coleman didn't come in until there was only :51 seconds left in the game when we needed someone to create something just ONCE for the final 5 minutes and got absolutely nothing.

zag buddy
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
What I find confusing is that we have one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the nation and yet during crunch time we continue to attempt 6 foot floaters as time runs out hoping for a foul, crazy. Even if you lose go down swinging with your best shots

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:22 PM
What I find confusing is that we have one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the nation and yet during crunch time we continue to attempt 6 foot floaters as time runs out hoping for a foul, crazy.

Yes!!!! This too!!!! And we take these floaters bc no one can get any real separation or blow by the defender for an easy lay up.

We go absolutely brain dead when we aren't able to hit 3's

I thought we had turned the corner the first half of the Memphis game when we actually looked legit with both bigs down low and continuing to feed them in the paint.. Then the 2nd half happened and last night I watched the same thing.. Crunch time hits and we have no one that can create a shot for themselves. We need that bad!

cjm720
02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
We do not have one single player on the roster right now that can create his own shot..

And every time we get into tight games, we pass it around the perimeter and try to find a good look from 3 or possibly a pass into the paint.

Don't ask me why Coleman didn't come in until there was only :51 seconds left in the game when we needed someone to create something just ONCE for the final 5 minutes and got absolutely nothing.

Don't disagree with much. I would have preferred Coleman in there instead of Karno due to his poor free throw shooting, but other than that we didn't board well, got out hustled and desperately need that go-to guy.

ZAGGED OUT
02-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Pangos has been hobbled since Maui, he's able to create when healthy, Coleman can get to the rim but he's a defensive liability that we just can't afford when teams (like byu last night) are hitting their shots, same with Nunez. The two bigs does open things up, but refs made sure to get both our bigs in foul trouble, essentially forcing us to play one at a time. It's tough to watch but it is what it is at the moment, lets just make march and hope we get hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Pangos has been hobbled since Maui, he's able to create when healthy, Coleman can get to the rim but he's a defensive liability that we just can't afford when teams (like byu last night) are hitting their shots, same with Nunez. The two bigs does open things up, but refs made sure to get both our bigs in foul trouble, essentially forcing us to play one at a time. It's tough to watch but it is what it is at the moment, lets just make march and hope we get hot

Our bigs played lazy as crap on D that's why we were in foul trouble. Plus, BYU ATTACKED the basket. And they blew right by our guards and the bigs were too late and made a half ass effort to make a play due to being out of position or hesitant.

Coleman isn't a defensive liability, however when compared to KD he's certainly not as valuable overall but when we are in a stretch and it's clear as day we NEEED offensive relief so freaking bad and we continue to just go down time after time and throw it around the perimeter and settle for crap.. Then Coleman the only one who has any chance to stop the bleeding should of been in there

gamagin
02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
And every time we get into tight games, we pass it around the perimeter and try to find a good look from 3 or possibly a pass into the paint. Coleman is the only one and he can only create for lay ups. I use to think Pangos could, but he can't.

I believe Sam can and does create his own shots. Often. I think he is now the best all around shot on the team.

Don't know if the stats back this up but I think he is perhaps behind only PK (& perhaps GBj) for % of accuracy. The big difference is his being a good to great short range deadeye. At least in the 2nd half of this season.

I think further, he is now the best all around and ergo most effective shooter we have. The one you say we don't have.

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Btw .. Am I the only one tired of hearing about Pangos being injured every time he's not playing well???

It was just last week he was feeling so much better when he came out and hit a couple of 3's at home

Now he's back to crap and it's bc he's still injured. If he's that injured, sit him and out and let him recover so he can be productive for the love of god Mark Few!!!!!

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I believe Sam can and does create his own shots. Often. I think he is now the best all around shot on the team.

Don't know if the stats back this up but I think he is perhaps behind only PK (& perhaps GBj) for % of accuracy. The big difference is his being a good to great short range deadeye. At least in the 2nd half of this season.

I think further, he is now the best all around and ergo most effective shooter we have. The one you say we don't have.

Actually, my friend. I agree 100% with this. The more I think about it, the better this sounds.

Sam is our best player and he can get buckets in those situations when we are desperate in need, he just hasn't gotten the opportunity. Why that is exactly I will not get into that debate.

The one big problem is that Sam can't come out and drive and post up, in order for him to create he has to be already in the post and he has to obviously get fed.

We really need a guard that can create though.

LongIslandZagFan
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Btw .. Am I the only one tired of hearing about Pangos being injured every time he's not playing well???

It was just last week he was feeling so much better when he came out and hit a couple of 3's at home

Now he's back to crap and it's bc he's still injured. If he's that injured, sit him and out and let him recover so he can be productive for the love of god Mark Few!!!!!

Perspective... Okung... an offensive lineman had turftoe. He missed almost half the season because of it. Pangos is playing through it. It isn't going to fully heal until likely after the season. But thanks for your medical opinion.

Norcalzag
02-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Coleman was a solid contributor in the first half, playing about 12 minutes and scoring 7 points. I too was wondering why he was riding the pine in the second half when it seemed clear that we needed to change something up offensively.

Chicken Ball
02-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Was hearing that out of Hesiter that Pangos was feeling better, but I wasn't seeing it.

ZAGGED OUT
02-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Thank you LIZF, very good comparison. Also, Coleman IS a defensive liability whether or not you want to admit it, I love him but he misses rotations all the time and gets beat off the dribble too

Zags11
02-21-2014, 03:51 PM

I agree.

Zag 77
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Coleman is only effective when we are rebounding and running the fast break. In a half-court game when he tries to go to the hoop he mostly gets the ball swatted back in his face. That was not what we needed in the second half.

Zagceo
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Coleman was a solid contributor in the first half, playing about 12 minutes and scoring 7 points. I too was wondering why he was riding the pine in the second half when it seemed clear that we needed to change something up offensively.

Wouldn't it be great if some newspaper guy ask the coach why some player like Coleman or Edwards didn't play more in the second half after being so effective in the first half?

webspinnre
02-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Was hearing that out of Hesiter that Pangos was feeling better, but I wasn't seeing it.

Exactly. Until we see Pangos driving the lane with authority and getting to the free throw line on a regular basis, I'm not buying the feeling better thing. Sure, maybe he feels a bit better, and he's still a good player, but he's a shadow of his full self.

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Coleman is only effective when we are rebounding and running the fast break. In a half-court game when he tries to go to the hoop he mostly gets the ball swatted back in his face. That was not what we needed in the second half.

He's better in those situations sure, but come on.. Would you rather see what you saw last night for the last 5 minutes or actually have some one out there going to bucket and drawing fouls when we couldn't buy a bucket

Hokis
02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
I find your use of terminology disappointing. In any case, which of you is really the one who is "upset"? You seem to be more upset about LIZF's response than LIZF was about yours.

That's good logic. Thanks.

zag944
02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I thought Heister saying Pangos is feeling better was a lot of wishful thinking...he isn't going to feel better for awhile if I correctly understand the injury. But I'm not a doctor and I drink a lot of beer during the games.

I don't think anyone questions Pangos' grit. I think the questions revolve more around the wisdom of playing him all this time rather than letting him get better. Personally I think the right choice was made (I'm sure the staff would be very glad to know). This team hardly had the luxury of depth that the Seahawks did with Okung, especially considering Bell and Dower were injured quite a bit of that supposed rest time and we've struggled to get away with quite a few of the wins that we got.

He's hurt and he is going to stay hurt for the rest of the season and that really sucks. I suspect that had we gone the alternate route however, we would be sitting in a considerably more nervous position.

DixieZag
02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
So frustrating to see people get so butt hurt over someone's opinion.

Thanks for the lousy comeback though!

I can't stand that word "butt hurt." Talk about lousy comebacks.

LIZF pointed out that turf toe can be a very painful, very long-lasting injury, plus - unlike a break, the pain can come and go, injured reinjured. I understand Heister totally about feeling better, it probably was, last week. Kevin can't shoot in that building in the best of times, but he can drive and draw the foul. But, not when hurt, he just can't get the separation.

I think there's more than one problem. I think that a big one is guys are really scared to take risks - that's what causes flinging it around the perimeter, causes all but Pangos and Stockton to freeze up. If Draino, Nunez, Coleman and Bell were free to shoot to get hot, there'd be a lot more "hot" players out from time to time.

I think it's indicative of something when I am kind of glad we have a guy in foul trouble b/c it forces unusual line ups - and then we come back strong, like last night. Edit to add; I don't think we're as good as our record, true, with one exception we've won all the games we're supposed to win and last night was not a bad loss. I also think that despite a good season for rebuilding, I'm really don't think this is one of Few's better coaching jobs. I think he's too obstinant about making changes this year and leaving a lot of talent on the bench. And, "no" I don't think I could do a better job and "no" I don't want another coach and "yes" I think our success is in large part b/c of him. Just an opinion and worth the same amount I'm paid to write it.

NotoriousZ
02-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Rebounding.

That's our Achilles heel IMO. We do a lot of things very well, but let's face it...this is a finesse team. We need several guys to channel their inner Mike Hart and start looking for any way they can improve their positioning to get the rebounds.

The second chance points by BYU just killed us.

fedwayzag
02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
agree with rebounding. In every game we have been beaten we have given Up more more rebounds than we have got.

Oregonzagnut
02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Imagine the weight on Pangos and Bell. Insane. But IMO, Few has instilled such a deep conservatism that it is sometimes "too much of a good thing", both to end games and to end tournaments. The small guard lineup of KP, GBJ, DS is fine against most opponents, but it is clear (to me) that when the game is physical, and defensively intense, we get rattled. And when we get rattled, our weaknesses are easy to spot and they exploit them even more.

Our team cannot handle constant pressure and defensive intensity very well. Especially our backcourt. We have to be the aggressors and if we aren't for the entire 40 minutes, we let teams back in, EVERY time.

Ezag
02-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Yes I am tired of it. Even Pangos says he is fine now

Rio Runner
02-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Another major issue with this team is Mark Few's resistance to making in-game or even in-season personnel adjustments. We will sink or swim with our non-athletic guards (can any of our three starting guards even dunk?) because that is the decision he made on Day 1.

ZAGGED OUT
02-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes I am tired of it. Even Pangos says he is fine now

Guys will always play off injuries and say they're healed. Look at his game, it isn't healed.

jim77
02-22-2014, 12:10 AM
When was the last time we got a back door layup? We only get easy buckets when DS nails an open big with a pass. We've kinda gotten away from ZAG BALL a bit. I'm seeing way to many 3's being thrown up under duress and too much 1 on 1 stuff. If we think we're gonna out athlete teams were fooling ourselves. We have 1 guard who passes well...one hurt...and one who's not assertive.

We have become a 2 demnsional team.....3's or our bigs take on their big.....and our depth favors BIG BALL. Lets go back to 2 guards...with DS as one of them....we can rotate Kyle and GBJ at the 2. Sorry, but KP ain't ready to play with that injury....a slower KP ain't better than a KD. The other thing that bugs me is our mad dash up the court into confusion....we ain't gonna beat any tourney teams with the running game.....our half court game is our strength. We can also play ZONE D when we play 3 bigs besides, its not like our guards are gonna shut many offenses down. Why not try a PK...Dower...Edwards lineup for stretches...and play zone to protect it. Our bigs are our strength...not our guards. Also, how about some screens and stuff to free guys up....no more of this 1 on 1 crap. We need to see more of Miekle and Nunez...with strict orders to crash the boards EVERY shot.....not having you're hands extended waiting for a pass that ain't coming because you're not open.(Nunez) IF Angel did nothing but get boards he'd be an animal.

I have said this before and I'll say it again...most college teams have no clue how to deal with a zone defense.....Boeheim has made a career out of playing ZONE D. Unless you're playing against a super 3 shooting team ...the zone D is the way to go. It also protects you're bigs and keeps you're guys fresh.....we simply aren't athletic enough to man up the better teams....we get careless fouls trying it......who shot more freethrows last night? We also should have started in Zone against Memphis...why in the world our coach thinks we could cover them in man is beyond me. More BIGS...MORE ZONE. SLOW THE GAME DOWN....we are a better halfcourt team than most.

No more of this worrying about what the other team is gonna do....they better worry about what we are gonna do. What should we do? Play 2 Seven footers and Dower...which is gonna make their defense sag....which should make more room for our once vaunted 3 point shooters....as well as put tremendous foul pressure on their bigs. We have the bigs to do well in the tourney.

bigblahla
02-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Dranginis can create a shot whenever he wants.................wish he knew that.

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
02-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Dranginis can create a shot whenever he wants.................wish he knew that.

Go!! Zags!!!

amen and that goes for bell and others.....confidence level very low......the most confident shooter is the worst one.

ZagsGoZags
02-22-2014, 06:45 AM

It is obvious to me he is injured. In the first ten games of the season he was attacking the paint constantly, including pulling up to shoot 12 footers. He physically can't do those moves very well now, and shouldn't try. Somebody made a good point on this thread, that Kyle D. at full health is probably better than an injured Pangos quite a bit of the time, and although KD makes lots of mistakes, he tries to make things happen.

vandalzag
02-22-2014, 08:22 AM
amen and that goes for bell and others.....confidence level very low......the most confident shooter is the worst one.

You know that confidence is low how is this your mind reading or are you doing the body language thing again?

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Rebounding.

That's our Achilles heel IMO. We do a lot of things very well, but let's face it...this is a finesse team. We need several guys to channel their inner Mike Hart and start looking for any way they can improve their positioning to get the rebounds.

The second chance points by BYU just killed us.

This.

The more assertive on offense typically get the foul calls, too. I agree with the finesse statement. Perhaps we're too nice. A Wichita St player says his team plays angry, and he sarcastically said he likes to be nice angry as well. We need a guy or two with that attitude. Hart seemed like ge nicest guy, but he was a fierce competitor. We need Pangos, Bell, Dower, and Dranginis to get a little angry out there.

Eta: this lack of rebounding and toughness was not unexpected going into this year. The rebuttal was that it was fine because our offense was scoring so many points. Where are those people now? Interestingly, those folks were right until we started to show the propensity to go on long offensive dry spells. We would have won despite the poor rebounding if we hadn't had so many turnovers and missed shots. Unfortunately that happens on the road, and that is why you need rebounding and toughness. Just one opinion of course.

siliconzag
02-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Hokis raises a vaild point about having players who create their own shots being crucial. Still, I am not sure it is that simple. Based on the BYU game, there were several problems. 1) Passing very sloppy
2) Transition defense absent 3) Rebounding (as JP indicated) very poor 4) Hustling for loose balls MIA. I am leaving the coaching issue alone, as it is a bit simplistic to blame everything on him.

1) Poor passing leads to turnovers. Many teams now talk about giving up a good shot to get a great shot. In order to accomplish this, teams must execute their passes well. The Zags have been at their best in transition. They did not show the finesse required to get "the great shot." Way too many turnovers as a result, and to complicate matters...

2) Slow to get back on defense. It was almost inevitable that the Cougars would get a cheap basket on many of the turnovers. Of course, it can be argued the Zags lack the quickness to get back. This makes it especially important to pay attention to 1) (above)

3) Rebounding. We got our clocks cleaned. Out of position, failure to block out on both ends

4) Hustle GU looked lethargic and mechanical most of the night. I am not sure if they need a shrink or what. I am tempted to blame the altitude, to which one of my buddies responded, "It is not the altitude but the attitude."

Fortunately, all of the above issues can be improved before March. However, we are getting very close to March and we don't need any more stinkers. Losing in Provo is going to be excused by the selection committee, as long as there is an interval improvement. We need to work on 1-4 above.

Sili

Bkzag
02-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Hokis raises a vaild point about having players who create their own shots being crucial. Still, I am not sure it is that simple. Based on the BYU game, there were several problems. 1) Passing very sloppy
2) Transition defense absent 3) Rebounding (as JP indicated) very poor 4) Hustling for loose balls MIA. I am leaving the coaching issue alone, as it is a bit simplistic to blame everything on him.

1) Poor passing leads to turnovers. Many teams now talk about giving up a good shot to get a great shot. In order to accomplish this, teams must execute their passes well. The Zags have been at their best in transition. They did not show the finesse required to get "the great shot." Way too many turnovers as a result, and to complicate matters...

2) Slow to get back on defense. It was almost inevitable that the Cougars would get a cheap basket on many of the turnovers. Of course, it can be argued the Zags lack the quickness to get back. This makes it especially important to pay attention to 1) (above)

3) Rebounding. We got our clocks cleaned. Out of position, failure to block out on both ends

4) Hustle GU looked lethargic and mechanical most of the night. I am not sure if they need a shrink or what. I am tempted to blame the altitude, to which one of my buddies responded, "It is not the altitude but the attitude."

Fortunately, all of the above issues can be improved before March. However, we are getting very close to March and we don't need any more stinkers. Losing in Provo is going to be excused by the selection committee, as long as there is an interval improvement. We need to work on 1-4 above.

Sili

Sili have to agree with you, especially all the comments about Coach Few...

Also want to add one more thing about the game last night...we made them look much better than they really are with our poor passing and TEAM defensive effort. We did do an excellent job against Haws and kept Austin off the glass too but we missed too many open shots.

I would like for someone who might have noticed this as well...How many times did either KD, GBJ, DS or KP get to the FT line or in the lane and then pass the ball or dribble out. I just think we passed up too many 10-12 foot jump shots that would of kept their defense in check. I watched the BYU@Pacific game, where BYU lost by seven. Pacific had a man at the FT line who caught the ball and made shots as well as passes to the low post and wings. BYU's guards had to focus more on the "soft middle" of their zone. Taking those shots from within the key wouldn't necessarily mean victory, because we still had 16 turnovers and rebounded poorly...BUT we will never know. Hopefully, the Staff will re-look this issue before we play them in the WCC Tournament.

Ezag
02-22-2014, 10:28 AM

So instead of letting the one guy who wants to and is not afraid to take it to the hole, we put him on the bench. WInder was taking it to the hole on us the whole 2nd half and was getting to the foul line a bunch

Zagceo
02-22-2014, 10:33 AM
So instead of letting the one guy who wants to and is not afraid to take it to the hole, we put him on the bench. WInder was taking it to the hole on us the whole 2nd half and was getting to the foul line a bunch

Winder was 10-10 from the line! ouch

gamagin
02-22-2014, 10:39 AM
+1

When was the last time we got a back door layup? We only get easy buckets when DS nails an open big with a pass. We've kinda gotten away from ZAG BALL a bit. I'm seeing way to many 3's being thrown up under duress and too much 1 on 1 stuff. If we think we're gonna out athlete teams were fooling ourselves. We have 1 guard who passes well...one hurt...and one who's not assertive.

We have become a 2 demnsional team.....3's or our bigs take on their big.....and our depth favors BIG BALL. Lets go back to 2 guards...with DS as one of them....we can rotate Kyle and GBJ at the 2. Sorry, but KP ain't ready to play with that injury....a slower KP ain't better than a KD. The other thing that bugs me is our mad dash up the court into confusion....we ain't gonna beat any tourney teams with the running game.....our half court game is our strength. We can also play ZONE D when we play 3 bigs besides, its not like our guards are gonna shut many offenses down. Why not try a PK...Dower...Edwards lineup for stretches...and play zone to protect it. Our bigs are our strength...not our guards. Also, how about some screens and stuff to free guys up....no more of this 1 on 1 crap. We need to see more of Miekle and Nunez...with strict orders to crash the boards EVERY shot.....not having you're hands extended waiting for a pass that ain't coming because you're not open.(Nunez) IF Angel did nothing but get boards he'd be an animal.

I have said this before and I'll say it again...most college teams have no clue how to deal with a zone defense.....Boeheim has made a career out of playing ZONE D. Unless you're playing against a super 3 shooting team ...the zone D is the way to go. It also protects you're bigs and keeps you're guys fresh.....we simply aren't athletic enough to man up the better teams....we get careless fouls trying it......who shot more freethrows last night? We also should have started in Zone against Memphis...why in the world our coach thinks we could cover them in man is beyond me. More BIGS...MORE ZONE. SLOW THE GAME DOWN....we are a better halfcourt team than most.

No more of this worrying about what the other team is gonna do....they better worry about what we are gonna do. What should we do? Play 2 Seven footers and Dower...which is gonna make their defense sag....which should make more room for our once vaunted 3 point shooters....as well as put tremendous foul pressure on their bigs. We have the bigs to do well in the tourney.

Good stuff. Thanks.

gamagin
02-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Another major issue with this team is Mark Few's resistance to making in-game or even in-season personnel adjustments. We will sink or swim with our non-athletic guards (can any of our three starting guards even dunk?) because that is the decision he made on Day 1.

Link ? I had no idea this decision had been made. Tnx

P.s. I've seen DS dunk several times. I'd consider our all time top 10 steal and assist leader an above average athlete. I think GBj may be one of the most athletic players we have. I'd venture he could dunk. I wouldn't bet against a healthy
, athletic KP dunking either. None of them would be seen coming down to the rim,IMO & fwiw. But they can get up to it, IMO.

ZAGGED OUT
02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
There's videos of KP dunking in practice in HS

northsidezagfan
02-22-2014, 11:06 AM

60% KP>>DS, the stats show it. Let's get real here.

Plus, haven't those Roland Ratings shown that the 2 towers lineup is our least effective? Would 3 towers be any better?

DADoZAG
02-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Link ? I had no idea this decision had been made. Tnx

P.s. I've seen DS dunk several times. I'd consider our all time top 10 steal and assist leader an above average athlete. I think GBj may be one of the most athletic players we have. I'd venture he could dunk. I wouldn't bet against a healthy
, athletic KP dunking either. None of them would be seen coming down to the rim,IMO & fwiw. But they can get up to it, IMO.

If they can dunk, then they should, when it matters. Not finishing strong was a big factor in at least one loss. That isn't just a problem with the guards, by any means, but if the guards can dunk, they should. At least go hard with two hands, Boulden style. Floaters are for 10 foot shots, not 3 foot shots, or at least that's true against any team with long athletes.

Rebounding is about positioning done while the shot is in the air. Tough to get good position while watching the shot go up. Attacking the rim is great if you see an open lane, but find someone and block them out if not. A ZAG between each opponent and the rim would greatly reduce the number of second chance points, even if no ZAG is anywhere near the rim.

Defense is played with the feet. Too bad Sam's best defensive play in a while got whistled. Agree with Sam being the best offensive weapon, and his best place to get the ball is at the elbows. So much can happen from there, same as with KO last year. Saw a few real nice plays Thursday, but then the sphincters closed and all was lost.

This team (in whole) is better than how they’ve been performing, imo, but I’m not a successful D-1 coach. Assigning blame for “…not being prepared to play” on one facet of the whole team, either the pros or the amateurs, just isn’t right. There’s plenty of improvement possible by all with one exception.

While DS may be the toughest pound per pound ZAG (and I mean that), the guy no one should rag on is KP. Yes, there’s the injuries. But it’s more than that. Kevin’s just out of position, imo, and some folks agree with me;
http://www.cousyaward.com/watchlist.php

And that’s where “decisions” were obviously made very early in the year, Gam. From my living room, if the team is built and managed to be a Mid-Major, the ZAGS shouldn't be offended when they’re called one. If it is a “rebuilding year”, when does construction start?

Go ZAGS!

AzZag
02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

I'd take a one dimensional Coleman over some of the weak and soft guys getting his minutes...

Of course, the current method is working just great! Just keep benching the athletes and continue with the high IQ guys all the way to the NIT

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

+1. He doesn't have that mentality- I do like unselfish players, but he needs to be more selfish. Hopefully that comes as an upper classman. I don't expect a change at this point in the season, but perhaps something will click next year. Starting him this season could change some things, as he seemed more assertive when GBJ was hurt.

ZAGLAWQB
02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
This team is : basketball bright; strong individual incomplete talents: limited in 5on5 defense; rebounding unbalanced based on offensive schemes; physically and athletically ranked in the top 26-50, not top 25; hasn't learned to outplay/or expose the weaknesses of stronger teams; plays tight when shots aren't falling and especially out of rhythm the last 5 minutes of tight games to the point of having shot clock (under 5 seconds left shots) smother their offensive play; SO, get ready to play superior talent in game one of Madness where our offense needs to beat their defense... the saying is, "Shoot yourselves in or shoot yourselves out boys!" And coaches, coach less and push more attempts in the 15-24 second shot clock range...bad shots, forces, and reduced %s may result in more rebounds, more fouls on them, and playing to our rhythm rather than the oppositions.

bballbeachbum
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM

bullseye almost imo. Coleman also can create for others, not just the layup. I think Kevin can but he's lost some of the confidence he had earlier this year recovering from his knocks but I think he can get it back. we'll see