PDA

View Full Version : We have great players, but...

former1dog
02-21-2014, 10:48 AM
... we don't have a Dan Dickau or Adam Morrison type who when the chips are down takes matters into his own hands.

Granted, those types are rare, but that is IMHO why we lose games like last night. No one steps up.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
... we don't have a Dan Dickau or Adam Morrison type who when the chips are down takes matters into his own hands.

Granted, those types are rare, but that is IMHO why we lose games like last night. No one steps up.

Been saying this all year...Pangos was that guy early and there's no one else. We can beat really good teams, but when we get punched in the mouth and need a play, who's going to step up now? My hope was that Dranginis might be that player, but it's not looking like that. Dower's the best option now IMO.

Really hoping Perkins or Melson will have that fearless attack mode from the jump.

former1dog
02-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Been saying this all year...Pangos was that guy early and there's no one else. We can beat really good teams, but when we get punched in the mouth and need a play, who's going to step up now? My hope was that Dranginis might be that player, but it's not looking like that. Dower's the best option now IMO.

Really hoping Perkins or Melson will have that fearless attack mode from the jump.

Pangos will go down as one of the all time GU greats, but he's no Dan Dickau.

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I am not so sure about this, and I'll tell you why:

Kevin Pangos can go off at any point. He hasn't quite "gone off" so far besides a game or two in Maui against decent (being generous here) competition. I have a feeling that if we get in the WCC tournament and we are down, he'll start taking shots. Seems to be healthier, and we know he can make seven threes in one game. I still think this kid has all the fight in the world, and he will get the job.

I ALSO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT: The one shot monster and senior leadership (whom COULD, and I stress COULD be in play here)

Sam Dower: If we really need just one basket (not 4 or 6 points, we didn't seem to get over that hump in the second half) I trust Dower with all of my heart. The guy can really play the game. Got in a little too much foul trouble (thanks Mika) but I think we can depend on him for just about anything. I think he would also give needed energy if in complete desperation mode in Vegas

Gary Bell: He was kind of (and I say kind of being reluctant, he had a couple dribble drives in transition but that's it) but if he plays resilient like he did against LMU I think he could step up as well. Needs to drive to the hoop and get good looks from 3.

This being said there is my list of "could be's" but like you said former1dog, nobody has stepped up yet. Hopefully one of these three DO step up.

I respect your opinion, and I really think we can make a run at this thing to end the season on a good note.

Thanks,

gonzagafan62

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 11:04 AM
and on a side note, I think we will be surprised on how much production we get out of Stockton down the stretch. Didn't look too great last night, but BYU was in desperation and they just seemed to want it more.

Go Zags!

cjm720
02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
BYU was in desperation and they just seemed to want it more.

Go Zags!

This sums up the game to me (and we were in their house).

former1dog
02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
This being said there is my list of "could be's" but like you said former1dog, nobody has stepped up yet. Hopefully one of these three DO step up.

Yours is a good post.

I just want to clarify and appeal to your memory a little bit.

When the chips were down way back when Dickau played it was like a switch went off and he got way more aggressive than normal and he consistently came up big. Of course he didn't have a perfect record in this regard but more often than not he got the job done and the Zags benefited. Same with Morrison. And, I should add that this was especially the case in road games in hostile environments.

Due respect, but no one on our team is consistently that guy, like Dickau or Morrison.

Pangos may very well be as talented as Dickau, but he has never displayed the kind of moxie that Dickau did. And, I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a huge Kevin Pangos fan.

77Zag
02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
I agree we don't have any player with the assassin mentality. To be honest, if we have one shot left to win the game, I don't know who I would prefer to take it. Right now, I'd say Sam.
Who can carry this team when needed?
Board members, your thoughts?

Go Zags - Beat SDU!!

zag944
02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Obviously not Morrison or Dickau good, but I absolutely love the hustle and urgency Coleman plays with in some of these more frustrating and lethargic games. Biggest bright spot in Portland game, and biggest bright spot in this one after Edwards.

former1dog
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Obviously not Morrison or Dickau good, but I absolutely love the hustle and urgency Coleman plays with in some of these more frustrating and lethargic games. Biggest bright spot in Portland game, and biggest bright spot in this one after Edwards.

Coleman wants to be that guy, which is great. He doesn't have Dickau or Morrison talent, though.

vandalzag
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Pangos will go down as one of the all time GU greats, but he's no Dan Dickau.

Agreed he is not, but that is a pretty high bar. I would have liked to see him healthy this year and see what he could have done. This was to be his year to be the man, no KO or Harris to defer to. This team's success is tied directly to him and because of that you see other players defer as opposed to stepping up. And his is not able to perform due to the toe and heal, not his fault but still the fact. Right now KP reminds me of Richie Frahm, a streak shooter who when on is as good as it gets, but a streak shooter none the less. When KP is on the Zags play with anybody.

WBM
02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
I agree we don't have any player with the assassin mentality. To be honest, if we have one shot left to win the game, I don't know who I would prefer to take it. Right now, I'd say Sam.
Who can carry this team when needed?
Board members, your thoughts?

Go Zags - Beat SDU!!

If it's a fast-paced game and both teams have good momentum, maybe Bell? He's a great shooter, and would be in for defense too, but it only works if he's actually been shooting.
Other than that, I'd say Kevin. So many times last night, for example, I wanted Kevin to pull up and shoot long threes -- trading missed layups for BYU's made foul shots wasn't getting us anywhere. Shoot it from half-court if you want, Kevin, I know you practice the shot!

former1dog
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Agreed he is not, but that is a pretty high bar.

Yeah. Honestly its probably not fair to Pangos, but after his freshman year, I don't think I was the only one that thought he had the potential to be another player in that mold.

He's so supremely talented. Maybe's its the Canadian thing, he's to nice to be an assassin?

TexasZagFan
02-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah. Honestly its probably not fair to Pangos, but after his freshman year, I don't think I was the only one that thought he had the potential to be another player in that mold.

He's so supremely talented. Maybe's its the Canadian thing, he's to nice to be an assassin?

Sam should be the man. He's the 5th year senior and is not afraid to take the shot. It would be nice to see Few draw up some plays designed to clear out space for Sam.

I love KP, but I saw both he and Gary disappear in Wichita and Memphis. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. I'm scratching my head, though, because I saw Gary nail that game winner against Oklahoma State.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/46324676.jpg

gonzagafan62
Yours is a good post.

I just want to clarify and appeal to your memory a little bit.

When the chips were down way back when Dickau played it was like a switch went off and he got way more aggressive than normal and he consistently came up big. Of course he didn't have a perfect record in this regard but more often than not he got the job done and the Zags benefited. Same with Morrison. And, I should add that this was especially the case in road games in hostile environments.

Due respect, but no one on our team is consistently that guy, like Dickau or Morrison.

Pangos may very well be as talented as Dickau, but he has never displayed the kind of moxie that Dickau did. And, I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a huge Kevin Pangos fan.

Oh that is spot on. And I like I said, I wasn't totally disagreeing, however, I really hope Pangos can turn that switch on (maybe a bit later than Morrison and Dickau perhaps?)

I think he is the only one that has the "assassin like" mentality especially when he is nailing daggers from 3 point land. If he can get hot, watch out. If not, good as toast.

One last thing, I noticed you are a Pangos fan as well I am too. I think its all a long shot, but I like to keep the door open to good possibilities even when things look bleak. We got a good defense, but offense (even though being very efficient) has come up pretty weak in a lot of these conference games. We could've easily won that game last night if we didn't turn the ball over, and make critical errors. And that's where your post really comes into fruition. Its true. We have no daggers out here unless we are talking free throws. That's a start, but we gotta have the big shot too. And we have only seen that once, ala Sam Dower.

vandalzag

He's so supremely talented. Maybe's its the Canadian thing, he's to nice to be an assassin?.

Not to be forgotten is that Dan had Blake Stepp playing next to him, Blake made things a lot easier on Dan, teams could not gimmick D by face guarding DD or running a box and 1,etc.. Stepp would destroy teams that tried that. No to put down the current roster but there is nobody who comes close to Stepp offensively on this team. Blake also had the big dog mentality, even as a Freshman.

CDC84
02-21-2014, 11:26 AM
He's playing at 60%. If Adam Morrison or Dan Dickau had played at 60%, they wouldn't have been the players that they were.

That being said, I doubt that Kevin will ever reach the levels that either of those two guys did when he finally gets healthy. Keep in mind, those two dudes were first team All Americans and NBA players. It's not just about willpower but also talent.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
60% seems very arbitrary. Seems closer to 74.8% to me.

former1dog
02-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Not to be forgotten is that Dan had Blake Stepp playing next to him, Blake made things a lot easier on Dan, teams could not gimmick D by face guarding DD or running a box and 1,etc.. Stepp would destroy teams that tried that. No to put down the current roster but there is nobody who comes close to Stepp offensively on this team. Blake also had the big dog mentality, even as a Freshman.

That's a fair point.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
He's playing at 60%. If Adam Morrison or Dan Dickau had played at 60%, they wouldn't have been the players that they were.

That being said, I doubt that Kevin will ever reach the levels that either of those two guys did when he finally gets healthy. Keep in mind, those two dudes were first team All Americans and NBA players. It's not just about willpower but also talent.

I can't put my finger on it, but the pieces don't seem to fit so well this year...must be the injuries we've had this year. I'd also like to add that our last two defeats were at hostile arenas with 18,000+ (Memphis) and 20,000+ (Provo). Should the Zags win one of the three remaining on the road, they will have matched the rule of thumb I've used in the past (for winning the conference regular season): hold serve at home, split on the road.

former1dog
02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Pangos is too physically limited despite having the mentality and everybody else are the very definition of a role player

Do you mean this year due to injuries?

Chicken Ball
02-21-2014, 11:58 AM
The thing that separates Dickau from Pangos is Dickau's ability to create his own shot. I know CDC may jump in here and mention that this is precisely what Pangos was doing in Maui. But for whatever reason, he's just not doing it now. I still think he's only about 70% healthy. He just doesn't have the change of speed he did in Maui.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Pangos is too physically limited despite having the mentality and everybody else are the very definition of a role player

Gary Bell will never be more than that despite us all thinking he would be a star a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troll

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
No. He's never had the ability to be a #1 guy. Dickau managed because he could get his shot off on anybody, anytime, and scored from anywhere in any way. Pangos can't

Edit chicken beat me to it

Keep in mind Dickau was an AA and first round draft pick. No comparison other than deep 3 point range and overall shooting ability

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-11-gonzaga-beats-arkansas-001723521--ncaab.html
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313182250
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports %2Fncaab%2F2013%2F11%2F26%2Fdayton-flyers-upset-gonzaga-bulldogs-maui-invitational%2F3730373%2F&ei=z74HU7H-FoPr0AHBvoKgBQ&usg=AFQjCNE-uNSFMnGKPZMcTu1KowY9uAjB5Q&sig2=vz068YIwYJV94odog2fEyw

Well theres a few games for you that you may have missed ..... One is from a couple of years ago vs Wazzou his freshman year.
The other two are this year.

There is more games where he was monsterous, and shows that he could be a great player, and does have the physicality and the momentum. He can shoot over anyone anytime, he has been playing to the strength of the offense going to PK and SD.

That's the only post I am wasting today.

jpwils
02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-11-gonzaga-beats-arkansas-001723521--ncaab.html
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313182250
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports %2Fncaab%2F2013%2F11%2F26%2Fdayton-flyers-upset-gonzaga-bulldogs-maui-invitational%2F3730373%2F&ei=z74HU7H-FoPr0AHBvoKgBQ&usg=AFQjCNE-uNSFMnGKPZMcTu1KowY9uAjB5Q&sig2=vz068YIwYJV94odog2fEyw

Well theres a few games for you that you may have missed ..... One is from a couple of years ago vs Wazzou his freshman year.
The other two are this year.

There is more games where he was monsterous, and shows that he could be a great player, and does have the physicality and the momentum. He can shoot over anyone anytime, he has been playing to the strength of the offense going to PK and SD.

That's the only post I am wasting today.

Your starting point guard scores 2 points with 2 assists and 6 turnovers on the road and you also get outrebounded by smaller players??

As good as DS's game was in the first half at home vs BYU, he was almost equally ineffective in this game. What is Plan B for him, coaching staff??

Pangos is either not healthy enough or big enough to manufacture shots and shoots not as well on the road. Bell disappears in games, sometimes.

Time to play more Coleman and Nunez,staff.

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Your starting point guard scores 2 points with 2 assists and 6 turnovers on the road and you also get outrebounded by smaller players??

As good as DS's game was in the first half at home vs BYU, he was almost equally ineffective in this game. What is Plan B for him, coaching staff??

Pangos is either not healthy enough or big enough to manufacture shots and shoots not as well on the road. Bell disappears in games, sometimes.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/12/10/5198638/west-virginia-gonzaga-final-score
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/no-10-gonzaga-edges-no-22-oklahoma-state-69-68
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/game/boxscore/l.ncaa.org.mbasket-2012-e.63617/

Two of these games listed here are ones KP did exceptionally well in, the other he hit the game winning shot.

I will tell you this much, Pangos can do things on the road too. I remember the kid before the injury. He is a hell of a shooter. Your guys' memory banks are all too short. Better days will be ahead for KP and Gary. This was supposed to be a transitional year, yet we are staring NCAA tournament in the face, with 3 regular season games to go. We could get hot. We might not.

But if Kevin is playing around 90%, I wouldn't be surprised if he shocked the world in the NCAA's. Kid is that good.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 12:53 PM

Especially if we want to increase our turnovers and not rely on experienced players. While I like Angel and Gerard, they are often in the wrong spot at the wrong time on offense and D. That said, they can bring a lot to the table and I love the energy and different look, but in our small sampling it is my opinion that they would hurt more than help especially when you have more capable players. It should be noted that Coleman and Dranginis played more than average and Stocks considerably less.

NumberCruncher
02-21-2014, 12:56 PM

Not a good game for DS.

In his defense, the 6 turnovers amount to a stat hosing. Here are the details:

First half:
16:31 Austin jumps in his path and flops. Charging. Questionable call.

13:26 Bounce pass to Karnowski. Mika grazes it with his fingertips and deflects it slightly. Karnowski can't secure it.

07:00 Halford knocks the ball out of his hands and it bounces out of bounds. Refs ruled it was off his knee.
The ball didn't change direction until it hit the floor, where it bounced sideways due to spin. Very close call.
The refs weren't sure and had to look at each other before deciding the call.

Second half:

18:26 Very good bounce pass goes right through Karnowski's hands.

17:54 Dower throws it way over his head. He gets a hand on it, buts gets called for over and back trying to save it.

08:29 Throws a very good pass to Dower, who only had one hand available due to being held by Mika. No foul called.

Oregonzagnut
02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
The staff ain't going to change anything. They have been focussed on their vision for the entire season and now they have committed. I for one don't want to see any more experimentation. We are what we are. But if Pangos and Bell weren't so ICE cold, we would only have 3 losses by now and ranked top 10. There is no way we should have lost to Portland, Memphis and BYU if we were shooting average from 3. In those 3 losses, Gonzaga shot 20% from 3! That is on our guards. But my conscience tells me Few needs to have seen this obvious "road trend" long ago after Portland and done something about it, either in rotation or in practice. Feed our bigs on the road!! Pangos, Bell and Stockton do not thrive outside of the Kennel.

We should have at most 3 losses right now if we could have averaged a meager 35% from three. So Few and us Fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the 3 pt shots are going to continue to be taken and we must just pray that our backcourt can get out of this huge road slump. There is no way around it now.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
The staff ain't going to change anything. They have been focussed on their vision for the entire season and now they have committed. I for one don't want to see any more experimentation. We are what we are. But if Pangos and Bell weren't so ICE cold, we would only have 3 losses by now and ranked top 10. There is no way we should have lost to Portland, Memphis and BYU if we were shooting average from 3. In those 3 losses, Gonzaga shot 20% from 3! That is on our guards. But my conscience tells me Few needs to have seen this obvious "road trend" long ago after Portland and done something about it, either in rotation or in practice. Feed our bigs on the road!! Pangos, Bell and Stockton do not thrive outside of the Kennel.

We should have at most 3 losses right now if we could have averaged a meager 35% from three. So Few and us Fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the 3 pt shots are going to continue to be taken and we must just pray that our backcourt can get out of this huge road slump. There is no way around it now.

It's more than simply being on the road, it's the 100% aggression by our opponents that you mentioned. Portland and BYU wanted it more and never let off the gas - largely impairing our guards and their ability to create shots. Memphis in the second half was that way. Memphis and BYU also are physically more imposing than us. It's going to be tough for us to have success unless we're hitting from 3s - I think we can and hope we can, but...

Zagceo
02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

I would hope that the coaches might rent out the Arena in Spokane and practice there for a week before the NCAA tourney and get used to bigger sight lines.

Ajay
02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
After last night's lackluster performance I believe it is up to coaches to award playing time to those with a fire in their gut. Coleman is always ready. Nunez must be given more time on the court. Edwards looked ready last night albeit a bit slow, but still better than Karno. Mika completely outplayed our bigs with more energy mostly. In the limited time he has played Meikle has shown urgency reminiscent of another red haired zag who played with guts. Now is the time to find that player or we'll be rooting for our second favorite teams in March. I'm really not sure what has happened to our guards- injuries, lack of size, no fire...?

SWZag
02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Former1, if I may, I'd like to change the subject header of the thread to:

"We have great players."

Sounds better that way. To me, anyway. :cool:

SWZag

WBM
02-21-2014, 01:39 PM
I know Coleman is a bit reckless sometimes, but man the circus shots that go in for him get me out of my seat pretty quickly. The excitement makes me forget the turnovers (reason #238 why I'm not a coach?)

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
THATS A HANDFUL OF GAMES OVER A 3 YEAR CAREER

Pangos is good but he's not great. He has the ability to get really hot at times, probably more so than Dickau.

call me when Pangos is a first team all American and a first round nba draft pick.

Seriously why is it so hard for people to understand Dickau was better than Pangos?

I don't think I said Pangos was better than Dickau? I also showed more ROAD games that he performed well in, and not only that, I know for a FACT there are tons of conference games Pangos played well in.

RenoZag
02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I know Coleman is a bit reckless sometimes, but man the circus shots that go in for him get me out of my seat pretty quickly. The excitement makes me forget the turnovers (reason #238 why I'm not a coach?)

What about the circus shots that don't go in ? He was great spark last night, but like the other G's, he lacks consistency.

On TO THE SLIM GYM ! BEAT USD !!

gamagin
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Not a good game for DS.

First half:

13:26 Bounce pass to Karnowski. Mika grazes it with his fingertips and deflects it slightly. Karnowski can't secure it.

07:00 Halford knocks the ball out of his hands and it bounces out of bounds. Refs ruled it was off his knee.
The ball didn't change direction until it hit the floor, where it bounced sideways due to spin. Very close call.

Second half:

17:54 Dower throws it way over his head. He gets a hand on it, buts gets called for over and back trying to save it.

08:29 Throws a very good pass to Dower, who only had one hand available due to being held by Mika. No foul called.

Fire the crippled ba$tard !

vandalzag
02-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Not a good game for DS.

First half:

Second half:

Numbercruncher There you go getting in the way of a good rant with facts and astute observation.
JPwils DS had a good game against BYU at GU so he played 34 minutes. Last night he did not have a good game so his minutes were cut and others played more that would be known as plan B. As pointed out above you easily discount a couple of the TO's to that stat game and you neglected to mention the 2 steals he had, as well as the open shots missed when he set players up by his penetration. He played because this team needs him to play, as you pointed out Pangos can't get his own shot so somebody has to initiate the offense. Also, how do you know a player is having a bad game if he does not play? Do you think coaches have Jazz's ability to read minds and body language?

Coleman had one rebound as well, while taking 6 shots in 13 minutes Coleman is not a point guard, so him acting as a play maker with Pangos on the court does not work to help Pangos, because for Coleman to be effective in the half court the ball has to die in his hands. Nunez was lost on offense and it showed. He is also at best a stretch 4 so in order for him to get minutes you have to sit Dower.

zag944
02-21-2014, 02:26 PM
What about the circus shots that don't go in ? He was great spark last night, but like the other G's, he lacks consistency.

He's a pretty consistent scorer really. 50% FG is pretty good for any guard, much less one that appears to be forcing quite a few shots. As far as shooting goes, I don't think he has really hasn't had a turd of a game all season.

Zag 77
02-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Coleman is only effective when we are rebounding and running the fast break. In a half-court game when he tries to go to the hoop he mostly gets the ball swatted back in his face. That was not what we needed in the second half.