• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

We have great players, but...

... we don't have a Dan Dickau or Adam Morrison type who when the chips are down takes matters into his own hands.

Granted, those types are rare, but that is IMHO why we lose games like last night. No one steps up.
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
    ... we don't have a Dan Dickau or Adam Morrison type who when the chips are down takes matters into his own hands.

Granted, those types are rare, but that is IMHO why we lose games like last night. No one steps up.
    Been saying this all year...Pangos was that guy early and there's no one else. We can beat really good teams, but when we get punched in the mouth and need a play, who's going to step up now? My hope was that Dranginis might be that player, but it's not looking like that. Dower's the best option now IMO.

Really hoping Perkins or Melson will have that fearless attack mode from the jump.
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
      Been saying this all year...Pangos was that guy early and there's no one else. We can beat really good teams, but when we get punched in the mouth and need a play, who's going to step up now? My hope was that Dranginis might be that player, but it's not looking like that. Dower's the best option now IMO.

Really hoping Perkins or Melson will have that fearless attack mode from the jump.
      Pangos will go down as one of the all time GU greats, but he's no Dan Dickau.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

I am not so sure about this, and I'll tell you why:

Kevin Pangos can go off at any point. He hasn't quite "gone off" so far besides a game or two in Maui against decent (being generous here) competition. I have a feeling that if we get in the WCC tournament and we are down, he'll start taking shots. Seems to be healthier, and we know he can make seven threes in one game. I still think this kid has all the fight in the world, and he will get the job.

I ALSO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT: The one shot monster and senior leadership (whom COULD, and I stress COULD be in play here)

Sam Dower: If we really need just one basket (not 4 or 6 points, we didn't seem to get over that hump in the second half) I trust Dower with all of my heart. The guy can really play the game. Got in a little too much foul trouble (thanks Mika) but I think we can depend on him for just about anything. I think he would also give needed energy if in complete desperation mode in Vegas

Gary Bell: He was kind of (and I say kind of being reluctant, he had a couple dribble drives in transition but that's it) but if he plays resilient like he did against LMU I think he could step up as well. Needs to drive to the hoop and get good looks from 3.

This being said there is my list of "could be's" but like you said former1dog, nobody has stepped up yet. Hopefully one of these three DO step up.

I respect your opinion, and I really think we can make a run at this thing to end the season on a good note.

Thanks,

gonzagafan62
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

and on a side note, I think we will be surprised on how much production we get out of Stockton down the stretch. Didn't look too great last night, but BYU was in desperation and they just seemed to want it more.

Go Zags!

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            BYU was in desperation and they just seemed to want it more.

Go Zags!
            This sums up the game to me (and we were in their house).
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
              This being said there is my list of "could be's" but like you said former1dog, nobody has stepped up yet. Hopefully one of these three DO step up.
              Yours is a good post.

I just want to clarify and appeal to your memory a little bit.

When the chips were down way back when Dickau played it was like a switch went off and he got way more aggressive than normal and he consistently came up big. Of course he didn't have a perfect record in this regard but more often than not he got the job done and the Zags benefited. Same with Morrison. And, I should add that this was especially the case in road games in hostile environments.

Due respect, but no one on our team is consistently that guy, like Dickau or Morrison.

Pangos may very well be as talented as Dickau, but he has never displayed the kind of moxie that Dickau did. And, I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a huge Kevin Pangos fan.

Comment

• 77Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2007

I agree we don't have any player with the assassin mentality. To be honest, if we have one shot left to win the game, I don't know who I would prefer to take it. Right now, I'd say Sam.
                Who can carry this team when needed?
                Board members, your thoughts?

Go Zags - Beat SDU!!
                “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• zag944
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Obviously not Morrison or Dickau good, but I absolutely love the hustle and urgency Coleman plays with in some of these more frustrating and lethargic games. Biggest bright spot in Portland game, and biggest bright spot in this one after Edwards.

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag944 View Post
                    Obviously not Morrison or Dickau good, but I absolutely love the hustle and urgency Coleman plays with in some of these more frustrating and lethargic games. Biggest bright spot in Portland game, and biggest bright spot in this one after Edwards.
                    Coleman wants to be that guy, which is great. He doesn't have Dickau or Morrison talent, though.

Comment

• vandalzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Pangos will go down as one of the all time GU greats, but he's no Dan Dickau.
                      Agreed he is not, but that is a pretty high bar. I would have liked to see him healthy this year and see what he could have done. This was to be his year to be the man, no KO or Harris to defer to. This team's success is tied directly to him and because of that you see other players defer as opposed to stepping up. And his is not able to perform due to the toe and heal, not his fault but still the fact. Right now KP reminds me of Richie Frahm, a streak shooter who when on is as good as it gets, but a streak shooter none the less. When KP is on the Zags play with anybody.

Comment

• WBM
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
                        I agree we don't have any player with the assassin mentality. To be honest, if we have one shot left to win the game, I don't know who I would prefer to take it. Right now, I'd say Sam.
                        Who can carry this team when needed?
                        Board members, your thoughts?

Go Zags - Beat SDU!!
                        If it's a fast-paced game and both teams have good momentum, maybe Bell? He's a great shooter, and would be in for defense too, but it only works if he's actually been shooting.
                        Other than that, I'd say Kevin. So many times last night, for example, I wanted Kevin to pull up and shoot long threes -- trading missed layups for BYU's made foul shots wasn't getting us anywhere. Shoot it from half-court if you want, Kevin, I know you practice the shot!

Comment

• former1dog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                          Agreed he is not, but that is a pretty high bar.
                          Yeah. Honestly its probably not fair to Pangos, but after his freshman year, I don't think I was the only one that thought he had the potential to be another player in that mold.

He's so supremely talented. Maybe's its the Canadian thing, he's to nice to be an assassin?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Yeah. Honestly its probably not fair to Pangos, but after his freshman year, I don't think I was the only one that thought he had the potential to be another player in that mold.

He's so supremely talented. Maybe's its the Canadian thing, he's to nice to be an assassin?
                            Sam should be the man. He's the 5th year senior and is not afraid to take the shot. It would be nice to see Few draw up some plays designed to clear out space for Sam.

I love KP, but I saw both he and Gary disappear in Wichita and Memphis. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. I'm scratching my head, though, because I saw Gary nail that game winner against Oklahoma State.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Yours is a good post.

I just want to clarify and appeal to your memory a little bit.

When the chips were down way back when Dickau played it was like a switch went off and he got way more aggressive than normal and he consistently came up big. Of course he didn't have a perfect record in this regard but more often than not he got the job done and the Zags benefited. Same with Morrison. And, I should add that this was especially the case in road games in hostile environments.

Due respect, but no one on our team is consistently that guy, like Dickau or Morrison.

Pangos may very well be as talented as Dickau, but he has never displayed the kind of moxie that Dickau did. And, I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm a huge Kevin Pangos fan.
                              Oh that is spot on. And I like I said, I wasn't totally disagreeing, however, I really hope Pangos can turn that switch on (maybe a bit later than Morrison and Dickau perhaps?)

I think he is the only one that has the "assassin like" mentality especially when he is nailing daggers from 3 point land. If he can get hot, watch out. If not, good as toast.

One last thing, I noticed you are a Pangos fan as well I am too. I think its all a long shot, but I like to keep the door open to good possibilities even when things look bleak. We got a good defense, but offense (even though being very efficient) has come up pretty weak in a lot of these conference games. We could've easily won that game last night if we didn't turn the ball over, and make critical errors. And that's where your post really comes into fruition. Its true. We have no daggers out here unless we are talking free throws. That's a start, but we gotta have the big shot too. And we have only seen that once, ala Sam Dower.

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

Working...
                              X