PDA

View Full Version : What does practice look like?

Zagceo
02-21-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm sure some on this board have access to practice and what scrimmages look like. I would be interested to hear what you have witnessed.

Stockton vs Coleman

Pangos vs Dranginis

Bell vs Nunez

Dower vs Meikle

Karno vs Edwards

I would love to see this line up full court game (40 min) with refs and winning team gets to start the next game.

Imo this teams needs to get tougher and that starts with practice.

sittingon50
02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Hopefully todays practice will be all about not giving up a single offensive rebound!! USD is gonna' dribble it for 30 sec., shoot, rebound, dribble for 30 sec., shoot & rebound. Zags really need to speed them up.

vandalzag
02-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm sure some on this board have access to practice and what scrimmages look like. I would be interested to hear what you have witnessed.

Stockton vs Coleman

Pangos vs Dranginis

Bell vs Nunez

Dower vs Meikle

Karno vs Edwards

I would love to see this line up full court game (40 min) with refs and winning team gets to start the next game.

The Pangos team runs a zone defense and wins by 20. The other team really only has one viable scorer and that is Coleman, who would be negated by the fact that they would sag off him and you have PK anchoring the defense. No 3 point shot to worry about other then maybe KD, so the Pangos team would stay true to the zone. Nunez would be a non factor offensively against the zone. SD and PK are both too big and strong in the HI-Low game for the 2 freshman to stop.
By the way this is not how any coaching staff, other than in the YMCA 3rd grade league would decide who plays a game based upon this type of set up. Just when did this team start to lack toughness? And what is your definition of toughness?

cjm720
02-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Stockton vs Coleman

Pangos vs Dranginis

Bell vs Nunez

Dower vs Meikle

Karno vs Edwards

Blow out by the first team no question. second team would have about 30 turnovers and two foul outs. Just my opinion of course...

And everything starts with practice...

Zagceo
02-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I would say Karno needs to play stronger and more balanced when taking fouls. Play through contact and create some pain for fouling him around the rim. The coaches need to get tough with him and figure out the answer to his free throw problems.

I'd like to see Pangos running defenders into hard screens from Dower and Karno more often. Like Haws does.

I would like to see Drano get more min because of his toughness.

I would like to see Bell take some of Coleman aggressive behavior and incorporate it into his game.

The past teams used to ride each other hard like brothers to a point of fighting but thats what brothers will do. Its a band of brothers come game time.

I get the feeling toughness came out of a certain level of bullying and that is not allowed in the sports world any longer.

If you've heard the stories about practice in the past with players like Violette and Calvery thats what passing along "Gonzaga Toughness" was all about.

Imo I think Gonzaga has been able to recruit better talent and now only gets that toughness from their walk-ons now. Mike Hart and David Stockton. Its about playing with hustle and desire.

Imo toughness and hustle should be a given in any game because it is more about desire than talent.

Baseline
02-21-2014, 01:15 PM
GU recruits good people that are team players and good citizens, a great achievement by Gonzaga. This however does not always produce the most aggressive athletes. Very few nice guys become overly aggressive once the game starts. A street kid that is tough and believes in himself above all is not typically offered scholarships at Gonzaga, so you don't have the guy that that isn't afraid to shoot or knock someone down getting rebounds. Something may be lost by the type of kids recruited, but in the long run, GU doesn't have a lot of issues that other teams do. You will have nights where a bunch or Mormon boys will out hustle and out tough you. Its a fine line as to what works well. I think this year the line is a bit further away than we normally get.

zagmantis2001
02-21-2014, 01:34 PM
GU recruits good people that are team players and good citizens, a great achievement by Gonzaga. This however does not always produce the most aggressive athletes. Very few nice guys become overly aggressive once the game starts. A street kid that is tough and believes in himself above all is not typically offered scholarships at Gonzaga, so you don't have the guy that that isn't afraid to shoot or knock someone down getting rebounds. Something may be lost by the type of kids recruited, but in the long run, GU doesn't have a lot of issues that other teams do. You will have nights where a bunch or Mormon boys will out hustle and out tough you. Its a fine line as to what works well. I think this year the line is a bit further away than we normally get.

Toughness in basketball has nothing to do with whether you are a white Mormon or a "street kid". What do you mean by "street kid" anyway? This is just plain weird.

NumberCruncher
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
In my minds eye, practice at BYU goes something like this:

Hour one - Flopping practice. Padded posts and landing matts are set up so players can ingrain the art of convincing refs that they have been mugged.

Hour two - Grabbing practice. How to position yourself so the refs are blocked from seeing what you're actually up to.

Hour three - Shoot around. Just in case you have to play on the road.

ZAGGED OUT
02-21-2014, 09:29 PM
In my minds eye, practice at BYU goes something like this:

Hour one - Flopping practice. Padded posts and landing matts are set up so players can ingrain the art of convincing refs that they have been mugged.

Hour two - Grabbing practice. How to position yourself so the refs are blocked from seeing what you're actually up to.

Hour three - Shoot around. Just in case you have to play on the road.

+10000000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags11
02-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Redemption

jyboc
02-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Do you know all these kids? I'd be willing to bet most fans look past their team player problems and don't necessarily recognize them as "street kids." We have plenty of issues, but guess what, unless you are involved with the team or university, you don't hear about them. Religion and race are pretty offensive ways to describe people.