• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Post Game radio side comment

Violette said "Carlino has the courage to shoot and fail. He can fail repeatedly but will shoot next shot. Zags dont have this type of player."

I disagree. Pangos will.

thoughts??
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The problem is that Carlino shoots BYU out of basketball games, which is why he comes off the pine.

A 100% healthy Pangos has no fear of shooting and failing. But when you are playing at 60% (I don't buy his argument that the turf toe is 90%+ healed - he still has nowhere near the first step and acceleration off the bounce that he had in Maui), it really limits your aggressiveness.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

I agree. Hence, why I was shocked at violettes opinion.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

agree KP is the only Zag with that mentality. im guessing Cory was talking about a toed KP.....the worst offenders are Barham (a better than avg shooter) and KD (an average shooter), they must lead the lg in pump fakes...and of course Bell who appears passive aggressive, at times running away from the shot and then chucking them up....one question: has Nunez actually made an outside shot this year? Coleman has one, I think.....this was a team that led the US in scoring the first few wks.....that team was fearless, this team is super hesitant.

Comment

• Section 116
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Jazz, I believe you are on the right track! Few had a quote in the Spokesman Review today "We had a couple guys that weren't ready to compete tonight!"

Comment

• Zags11
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

Wow. He said that? Seems right.

Comment

• drvenkman05
              Banned
              • Dec 2012

Then WHY were they kept on the floor? Once again, Few has no problem slamming players AFTER a game but refuses to do anything meaningful DURING the game.

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
              Jazz, I believe you are on the right track! Few had a quote in the Spokesman Review today "We had a couple guys that weren't ready to compete tonight!"

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I keep saying that Few should keep Gary Bell Jr. out of the starting lineup to send a message to him. "You're not starting until you start hunting out your shot more. Pangos is 60% the rest of year. You must score. Until you start initiating offense, we're going with someone else. As soon as you start hunting out your shot, you'll start again."

Gary needs a kick in the rear from Few. Whining on his radio show has proven ineffective. He NEEDS to send a message. Coach K does this kind of thing as do many great coaches. It's not a punitive measure, but a way of igniting players who are capable of more.

Comment

• Zagceo
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Section 116 View Post
                  So do we think Coach Few figured this out after the game? I would like to hear the coach say I made a mistake. I should have done a better job with my substitutions. Few can't control bad performances but he can limit their impact over the course of a game with the proper substitutions.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Love to see a STARTING LINEUP of DS, KD, Coleman, Dower and Karno (actually Edwards, but why push it)......That would be coaching.

Comment

• cjm720
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                      So do we think Coach Few figured this out after the game? I would like to hear the coach say I made a mistake. I should have done a better job with my substitutions. Few can't control bad performances but he can limit their impact over the course of a game with the proper substitutions.
                      But what if his best option was on the court? That seems to be the case all year. That is, there's a reason why Angel isn't getting time (assuming he's talking about Karno).
                      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                        I keep saying that Few should keep Gary Bell Jr. out of the starting lineup to send a message to him. "You're not starting until you start hunting out your shot more. Pangos is 60% the rest of year. You must score. Until you start initiating offense, we're going with someone else. As soon as you start hunting out your shot, you'll start again."

Gary needs a kick in the rear from Few. Whining on his radio show has proven ineffective. He NEEDS to send a message. Coach K does this kind of thing as do many great coaches. It's not a punitive measure, but a way of igniting players who are capable of more.
                        for a kid thats been the in program for 3 years, i dont see this having the impact that you suggest. it is very difficult to change your mentality when you've been playing a certain way for a long time. much easier to "break" him of that as a frosh (coming into a new team, system, etc) than a late in the year jr. i think its part of the player that he is. psychological/behavioral things like this take more than a benching to change, otherwise it would have changed long ago, i would think.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          agree KP is the only Zag with that mentality. im guessing Cory was talking about a toed KP.....the worst offenders are Barham (a better than avg shooter) and KD (an average shooter), they must lead the lg in pump fakes...and of course Bell who appears passive aggressive, at times running away from the shot and then chucking them up....one question: has Nunez actually made an outside shot this year? Coleman has one, I think.....this was a team that led the US in scoring the first few wks.....that team was fearless, this team is super hesitant.
                          +1 Jazz.

I call it regression toward the mean. The problem is that the Maui team and the current team are EXACTLY the same team, no improvements, no adjustments, no changes. We stayed the same and everyone else improved, so we have regressed by comparison. This is also a "classic" Few team. In a big game or when it comes to crunch time, get more conservative and do things even more the same. Never take a chance, never play a hunch, just "keep sawing wood" and hope not to lose. Can't blame the long term injuries, they are part of the game and part of the "chess match" of game preparation.

We are really easy to game plan for opposing coaches, because nothing ever changes. Everybody knows who the starting 5 will be and who will get the major minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• EEzag
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by cbbfanatic View Post
                            for a kid thats been the in program for 3 years, i dont see this having the impact that you suggest. it is very difficult to change your mentality when you've been playing a certain way for a long time. much easier to "break" him of that as a frosh (coming into a new team, system, etc) than a late in the year jr. i think its part of the player that he is. psychological/behavioral things like this take more than a benching to change, otherwise it would have changed long ago, i would think.

Broken hand and broken foot might have something to do with it. He reminds me of Gray. Great offensive potential, but lets the game come to him too much. He is still a great perimeter defender and alas will keep him on the floor most nights.

Comment

• Zagceo
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                              But what if his best option was on the court? That seems to be the case all year. That is, there's a reason why Angel isn't getting time (assuming he's talking about Karno).
                              Few gives an interview and calls out his players for a no show game I believe I have the same complaint against the coach. Players have bad games it happens but coaches who stick with those players should not happen. Loyal to a fault makes you a weak coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X