PDA

View Full Version : Rude Awakening on Selection Sunday? Yahoo story

primal23
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/interpretive-dance-louisville-san-diego-st-could-face-145117521--ncaab.html

Compares GU to KC Chiefs...

cjm720
02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
The Chiefs' Jamal Charles (top 5 MVP candidate) got a concussion on the opening drive and they lost by 1 on the road in the playoffs. Yea, a loss sucks but context matters. That writer is a tool.

MTZag03
02-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Nothing like lazy sports journalism

primal23
02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Spot on both cjm and MTZag! I remember him last season had nothing but ire towards GU.

Birddog
02-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Nothing like lazy sports journalism
Thats mostly the rule these days.

GoZags
02-20-2014, 03:18 PM
If the Zags win out their forecast RPI is #8. And this guy thinks that an 8 seed is the ceiling? Who knows? Maybe he's right.

All the Zags can do is take care of their business.

Beat BYU.

Oregonzagnut
02-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Even if they win out, a No. 8 could be their ceiling.

If we win out we will be 30-4 with a top 20 RPI, a top 20 ranking and we would get an 8 seed? If we go 30-4, I say we get a 5-6 seed.
Easy.

GoZags
02-20-2014, 03:29 PM
If we win out we will be 30-4 with a top 20 RPI, a top 20 ranking and we would get an 8 seed? If we go 30-4, I say we get a 5-6 seed.
Easy.

Overnight their projected RPI (if they win out) went from 8.4 to 8.6 ..... so likely a 9 RPI. Don't see how 30-4 with a 9 RPI ends up being an 8 seed. I think that ends up with a Spokane Sub-Regional.

Beat BYU.

RenoZag
02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Beat the Mor. . .I mean Cougars.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
"That guard in street clothes" such informed writing.

wnczagfan
02-20-2014, 04:44 PM
So what he is saying is that Gonzaga is comparable to a professional team? I'll take it as a compliment.

DixieZag
02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Overnight their projected RPI (if they win out) went from 8.4 to 8.6 ..... so likely a 9 RPI. Don't see how 30-4 with a 9 RPI ends up being an 8 seed. I think that ends up with a Spokane Sub-Regional.

Beat BYU.

If we were to win out (and I doubt we will) and end up 30-4, there will be two syllables that haunt us throughout selection Sunday Mem-Phisssss. Such an opportunity.

Oh well, we'll not even get that moment if we don't win tonight. And tonight is one of those reasons I am not sure we'll win out. Go Zags, prove me wrong, for once.

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Heck, to compare our "playoff success" to the Kansas City chiefs is remarkable, and silly.

They haven't won a playoff game in what, almost 20 years? We have won one 5 years in a row. They don't make their playoffs every year. We do.

Even at that, comparing Football to basketball is just silly.

VinnyZag
02-21-2014, 06:41 AM
"Zags are on the bubble because they haven't beaten anybody" was the overwhelming narrative among college basketball analysts after the BYU game. You can't really argue that point. Best RPI wins are BYU and St. Mary's at home and at West Virginia clear back in December.

I don't think it'll make any difference, though, because I expect Gonzaga to win the auto bid.

cbbfanatic
02-21-2014, 07:51 AM
"Zags are on the bubble because they haven't beaten anybody" was the overwhelming narrative among college basketball analysts after the BYU game. You can't really argue that point. Best RPI wins are BYU and St. Mary's at home and at West Virginia clear back in December.

I don't think it'll make any difference, though, because I expect Gonzaga to win the auto bid.

while that is true, there are still 30 some at larges to be given out, and GU wont be the only candidate out there with a worrisome lack of good wins. my line on this is like this -- 1 more total loss and GU is just fine, safely in. 2 more and it gets dicey, but still probably in, though GU fans will be watching championship week for bid stealers very closely. 3 more and it looks like an extra home game for the zags, and maybe a nice trip to NYC. streak aside, wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

also dont think it matters because i think they win the wcc auto

eidt: remember, this team got a 1 seed last year with only 1 win over ranked opponents, and a LOSING record against that group. that is a STUNNING lack of good wins for a 1 seed. what GU has this year is probably not that far off from a handful of 10,11,12 seeds in the past in the good win dept (esp the mid major at larges), except that this GU team probably has fewer losses than most of those same teams

primal23
02-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Now looks like unless GU wins the tournament, the rude awakening will be the NIT

Mr Vulture
02-21-2014, 09:10 AM
There is no way Gonzaga doesn't get into the NCAA tournament unless they lose the remaining three regular season games and their first game in the conference tournament, which is NOT going to happen. They are sitting firmly in the 7-10 seed range and if they win the conference regular season, that is exactly where they will be. Let's stop with the constant doom and gloom every time we lose. Reality is we are Top 30 in the RPI, we are getting into the tournament this year.

jim77
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
There is no way Gonzaga doesn't get into the NCAA tournament unless they lose the remaining three regular season games and their first game in the conference tournament, which is NOT going to happen. They are sitting firmly in the 7-10 seed range and if they win the conference regular season, that is exactly where they will be. Let's stop with the constant doom and gloom every time we lose. Reality is we are Top 30 in the RPI, we are getting into the tournament this year.

The reality is the Zags have 3 tough games left. The other reality is the WCC tourney isn't gonna be easy to win. I could see BYU...Portland....SF or ST. Mary's winning it. The Zags need to take care of business. The one thing that does surprise me is what other folks say about our conference.....the WCC non-conference record isn't too shabby....The WCC is tougher than most give it credit for. I'd like to see 2 bids.

cjm720
02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Losing at BYU is not a bad loss

CDC84
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I would say post this article in the GU locker room, but the WCC gave the Zags 4 straight road games to end the season......

CDC84
02-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Again, the 2004 Zags got a number two seed besides just having one top 50 RPI win.

Quality wins continue to be the most overrated thing that analysts use when discussing a team's NCAA at large chances. Now if the Zags had lost to Bryant, Santa Clara, Oakland, and LMU, then quality wins begin to matter. They are what allow you to make up for sins of the past. Quality wins also matter when it comes to attaining a high seed.

The Zags are not close to being on the bubble. Now if they go off and lose to USD, Pacific and lose in the WCC quarters, it's a different discussion.

The lack of quality wins is going to hurt them when it comes to seeding. Let's just hope that enough is on the overall resume to keep them out of the death seed (8/9).

There are so many teams on the legitimate bubble this year that are worse than Gonzaga that it's ridiculous.

Mr Vulture
02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I would disagree that the conference tournament is that wide open. I would be surprised if it was anyone but GU or BYU and would be shocked if it was any other team than St Marys if not BYU/GU. Frankly, I don't think either BYU or St Marys beats us on a neutral court and I don't think St Marys beats us at all. I think that we will win out the regular season and that will lock us right into that 7-10 range I expect. I doubt we don't win at least one game in the conference tournament either and expect to be in the final. Last night was a MUST WIN for BYU in regards to an at large berth and it was going to be harder than usual to escape with a win.

The reality is the Zags have 3 tough games left. The other reality is the WCC tourney isn't gonna be easy to win. I could see BYU...Portland....SF or ST. Mary's winning it. The Zags need to take care of business. The one thing that does surprise me is what other folks say about our conference.....the WCC non-conference record isn't too shabby....The WCC is tougher than most give it credit for. I'd like to see 2 bids.

cbbfanatic
02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Again, the 2004 Zags got a number two seed besides just having one top 50 RPI win.

Quality wins continue to be the most overrated thing that analysts use when discussing a team's NCAA at large chances.

i disagree. while it hasn't hurt GU in the past, it definitely seems to be a factor in the grand scheme of things, especially in high end seeding and bubble bids. Also seems that a lack of good wins is typically held against high majors teams more than it is mid major teams --- see st mary's and half their recent bids. no meat

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
i disagree. while it hasn't hurt GU in the past, it definitely seems to be a factor in the grand scheme of things, especially in high end seeding and bubble bids. Also seems that a lack of good wins is typically held against high majors teams more than it is mid major teams --- see st mary's and half their recent bids. no meat

I remember 2011:

Clemson, UAB getting in. 1 Top 50 RPI win between them. I also remember that same year VCU and USC getting in. Not much quality there either.

Middle Tennessee State last year? 1 Top 50 win? There are more bubble teams that I cannot think of off the Top of my head that got in. Maybe George Mason?

cbbfanatic
02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
I remember 2011:

Clemson, UAB getting in. 1 Top 50 RPI win between them. I also remember that same year VCU and USC getting in. Not much quality there either.

Middle Tennessee State last year? 1 Top 50 win? There are more bubble teams that I cannot think of off the Top of my head that got in. Maybe George Mason?

you can definitely get in without good wins, dont get me wrong. some years there just arent enough teams with more than 2 or 3 top 50 wins to round out the field. doesnt mean it isnt used in terms of who gets in and where they are seeded, but definitely something you want to have in your back pocket... in the case that there is a strong(er) bubble than what we have seen recently.

gonzagafan62
02-21-2014, 01:06 PM
you can definitely get in without good wins, dont get me wrong. some years there just arent enough teams with more than 2 or 3 top 50 wins to round out the field. doesnt mean it isnt used in terms of who gets in and where they are seeded, but definitely something you want to have in your back pocket... in the case that there is a strong(er) bubble than what we have seen recently.

Oh yeah, for sure. Id say things get really dicey if we lose another one before the conference tournament. Its not looking too bleak, but if we are going to make sure we get a berth as an at-large, I would just win the next three. And that's a tall task.

CDC84
02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
The team to watch out for in the WCC tournament is Portland. They're my sleeper.

229SintoZag
02-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Quality wins continue to be the most overrated thing that analysts use when discussing a team's NCAA at large chances. Now if the Zags had lost to Bryant, Santa Clara, Oakland, and LMU, then quality wins begin to matter. They are what allow you to make up for sins of the past. Quality wins also matter when it comes to attaining a high seed.

The Zags are not close to being on the bubble. Now if they go off and lose to USD, Pacific and lose in the WCC quarters, it's a different discussion.

The lack of quality wins is going to hurt them when it comes to seeding. Let's just hope that enough is on the overall resume to keep them out of the death seed (8/9).

There are so many teams on the legitimate bubble this year that are worse than Gonzaga that it's ridiculous.

You know what? I would take an 8/9 seeding this year, so long as the 1 seed we got to face is Wichita State.

Ezag
02-21-2014, 07:58 PM
You know what? I would take an 8/9 seeding this year, so long as the 1 seed we got to face is Wichita State.

and lose again!!!! No I don't think so. WS would kick our ass at this point

MickMick
02-21-2014, 08:34 PM
He is talking down to his audience. He believes he needs an NFL comparison for his message to resonate. He doesn't believe the average Joe is smart enough about college basketball to evaluate the situation.