PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts for tonight @ BYU

gonzagafan62
02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
We have got to contain Haws. He will get his twenty. If he wants another 1 point performance, Ill let him.

Key Concerns: Carlino played horrible up in Spokane earlier this year with 1 FG. We need a similar performace. Collinsworth can't get hot either. A so-so game by him is key.

REBOUND. We have got to get offensive and defensive rebounds tonight. I think Barham will come in early and put some pressure on BYU making a few threes, but we have got to get Nunez or someone else in late to grab those missed BYU shots. No second chance points.

Dower has got to be huge! Sam and David know how big this game is. I think they'll do pretty well considering how well they have done on the road in big games so far this season. I am not too worried about this.

David Rose. I am really concerned here. How many gopher faces will he make tonight? Will he get a technical foul? Did he eat too many donuts? Who knows, but his antics are especially entertaining when he is losing.

Go Zags!

MTZag03
02-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Long rebounds could kill us tonight. Byu shoots tons of long shots and gets a surprising number of those rebounds. I hope we find a way to grab those.

cjm720
02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Never let up on D and we win. Lapses beyond a couple minutes and we're in trouble if we're not hitting from deep.

SageOfZagville
02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865596906/BYU-basketball-Kyle-Collinsworth-overcomes-injury-will-help-lead-BYU-against-No-25-Gonzaga.html

Haws said his team knows what it’s going to take to beat the ‘Zags.

“We have to consistently score for 40 minutes, and we’ve got to lock in and guard the 3-point line a lot better than we did at their place," he said. "That kind of got away from us.”

gamagin
02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Long rebounds could kill us tonight. Byu shoots tons of long shots and gets a surprising number of those rebounds. I hope we find a way to grab those.

KD seems to have a nose for these kinds of boards. This could be another good night for him.

From Section116's articles on another thread, they are hoping to stop/discourage our treys. this means to me DS has to make his numbers because they are going to sag and need to play. ANd KP and GBj need to make their averages, too. That would make KP and SD gravy vs. their plan.

We should beat these guys by 15. But history says what we should do doesn't seem to matter.

It's definitely time to respect the rest of our schedule and then go ahead and beat them in prep for the dance.

gonzagafan62
02-20-2014, 12:17 PM
KD seems to have a nose for these kinds of boards. This could be another good night for him.

From Section116's articles on another thread, they are hoping to stop/discourage our treys. this means to me DS has to make his numbers because they are going to sag and need to play. ANd KP and GBj need to make their averages, too. That would make KP and SD gravy vs. their plan.

We should beat these guys by 15. But history says what we should do doesn't seem to matter.

It's definitely time to respect the rest of our schedule and then go ahead and beat them in prep for the dance.

+1. We need Kyle to step in big tonight. I want to see Nunez and Dranginis log some good minutes tonight. If they play well, like you said we SHOULD win.

MDABE80
02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Hit the goddamm boards. Let Gary and /or Kyle stay on Haws. He's hardly a decoy. We win if we figure out some hard defense, no TO's and hit those boards. Mika did nothing last time but foul out. Watever Mark did last time, he should get that same thing in place. Austin's a lil whiner.
Crowd there is enormous. Take earplugs boys. 160 dB whines will come forth.

Bkzag
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by gamagin http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=986682#post986682)

Agree, KD can be the x-factor of this game just as Collinsworth for BYU. I said it before, Haws is really good but Collinsworth is the guy that makes their offense work efficiently. He rebounds like Hart but his offensive game is much, much better. He hits the boards just as Austin. If Austin is unable to secure the boards then he diligently taps it back out and this almost always works for BYU in obtaining another possession.

If we had Mike Hart, then he and GBJ would shut down Haws just as they did last year in Spokane, which was the last time he didn't score in double digits. With KD, GBJ and Nunez we might well be able to neutralize either Collingsworth or Haws as I do not think we can shut both down and IMO Collingsworth is much more valuable to their overall game.

We heard last game that KP is "healthy" and is able to feel much more comfortable on both ends of the court, if that is the case then he should be able to reach his average without taking 20 shots AND also defend as well.

If we start the usual line-up (PK, SD, GBJ, KP and DS) then KP will most likely have to guard Collingsworth and that will be a really big challenge as KP is circa 6'2" and Collingsworth is 6'6"...not saying it can be donw but then this might effect his game on offense...just saying...time will tell all.

If PK has his usual game, he should neutralize Mika and SD will just have to "BLOCK-OUT" Austin.

"GAMEGIN" "We should beat these guys by 15. But history says what we should do doesn't seem to matter." This is also my sentiment and how we defend and limit their offensive rebounds will IMO be key to our victory this PM. Oh, might want to add bigs must stay out of early foul trouble too.

Urika
02-20-2014, 12:41 PM
If this isn't a random thought on BYU game, i don't know what is....

Ryan Nicholas....is he the love child of Coach Rose at BYU? You decide ;-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-smR9vTp1MqI/UKvjkMygv-I/AAAAAAAABUU/dah0AHnjB1U/s200/nicholas.jpg

http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/29481/29481.jpg

ZAGGED OUT
02-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Their bigs can't play without fouling, mika especially, we need to establish the bigs early and often and put foul pressure on them!! If we can the lanes will open up for drives which in turn will open the outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U Zig, I Zag
02-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Their bigs can't play without fouling, mika especially, we need to establish the bigs early and often and put foul pressure on them!! If we can the lanes will open up for drives which in turn will open the outside

Mika is a loose cannon. Get him in trouble early, that'l help set the tone for the game.

madness
02-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Dunno how many people saw the BYU win at SMC, but Collinsworth fell very awkwardly on his knee. He is a warrior and finished the game but did not look 100% at all.

GU needs to use their quickness and drive on him repeatedly tonight. He will still get his boards, but his quickness should be downgraded.

ZenZag
02-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Same MO for this game that applies to damn near every game.....it's really not a very complex game.

Defense: shot goes up, find an opposing player, get position, block out and REBOUND.
Offense: go INSIDE early and often....the inside game opens up the OUTSIDE game. It also sets things up to drive lanes and kick out to shooters.

If we get out-rebounded, and we get into the mode where we just throw the ball around the perimeter.....we lose.

jazzdelmar
02-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Rose is a terrific coach and an outstanding person. Really no need to crack on his personal appearance, IMO. That doesn't move the needle closer to a GU win.

gonzagafan62
02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Rose is a terrific coach and an outstanding person. Really no need to crack on his personal appearance, IMO. That doesn't move the needle closer to a GU win.

I know. A simple joke to pass time. Is it gametime yet?

coolhandzag
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM

Allowing Confusie to roam free last year provides evidence for a contradictory perspective.

primal23
02-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Allowing Confusie to roam free last year provides evidence for a contradictory perspective.

They are also cheap shot artists. Flying elbows and kicking players when down. Then there is the Mika "choke" display.

coolhandzag
02-20-2014, 03:56 PM
They are also cheap shot artists. Flying elbows and kicking players when down. Then there is the Mika "choke" display.

Without doubt.

ZAGGED OUT
02-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Did my post really get deleted cause I said I chuckled? Ooook then.

wnczagfan
02-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Proposed GU Boards rule: Members should have to post a picture of themselves before denigrating someone else's appearance. :)

DixieZag
02-20-2014, 04:50 PM

I'm on board with that cool. I really liked Rose - a lot, when I heard about his bouts with Cancer and saw him speak around the country. His Phi Slamma Jamma Houston team allowed Valvano to win an NC (I guess that's irrelevant) and I liked what I heard from him basketball wise.

But, I just can't get over his teams. I am lucky enough to get tickets to quite a few home games and I've never seen a dirtier team than BYU, never. Last year's elbows and shoves were beyond even what I normally expect from them (and that was the home game). Then, sending out Kafusi to head hunt???? Sorry, I can't get back around to liking the guy.

Zippyzaggy
02-20-2014, 04:58 PM

There is nothing wrong with his personal appearance and I don't think anyone is saying that. It's just that he does look kinda funny in some pics. Don't we all? Take my pic, for example.

siliconzag
02-20-2014, 05:06 PM
I always worry about games in Provo. First there is the altitude and that has done us in before. Then there is the crowd--big, loud, intimidating. Then there are the officials who at least on a subconscious level want to throw us to the lions in order to delight the multitude. Bad environment. A victory in Provo would be huge, and a loss, totally forgivable. Lose to BYU once, no biggy, again in Vegas, it's back to the bubble.

I figure we win this game in a squeaker. I also figure that if we do win, that it will be based on solid defense and greater guard temerity. We need to use guided imagery and forget that tentative road play that has hurt us in the past. So, though we face a hostile environment and they are many and we are few, let us remember the words of Henry V and may our lads, channel their inner tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynTH9oJg8