PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Latest NCAA Violation - Eating too much pasta

webspinnre
02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10484741/oklahoma-sooners-penalized-three-student-athletes-eating-too-much-pasta

The NCAA apparently has rules about everything when it comes to college athletics.

Even pasta eating.

A list of benign secondary violations that Oklahoma's athletic department reported to the NCAA included one bizarre anecdote: According to The Oklahoman, three unnamed Sooners athletes ate more food during a graduation banquet than NCAA rules allow. The violations occurred on May 10, 2013, according to the newspaper.

The specific item overindulged on was pasta.

To have their eligibility reinstated, the three had to donate $3.83 each (the cost of the pasta servings) to charities of their choice.

Though the players were not identified, offensive linemen Gabe Ikard and Austin Woods took to Twitter to fess up for piling on the pasta and claim they paid $5 for the food.

@SportsCenter @AwesomeWoods_50 and I are proud to be 2 of these infamous pasta eaters. Also, we donated $5, not $3.83. #Boomer
- Gabe Ikard (@GabeIkard) February 19, 2014

@GabeIkard @SportsCenter that was some great pasta! We felt we ate more than $3.83 so we donated $5.
- Austin Woods (@AwesomeWoods_50) February 19, 2014

Total insanity.

gonzagafan62
02-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Wow. The NCAA is so stupid sometimes.

Zagceo
02-19-2014, 01:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Mark_Emmert_portrait_painting_by_Michele_Rushworth .jpg/220px-Mark_Emmert_portrait_painting_by_Michele_Rushworth .jpg
Mark Emmert No.1 Jackass
$1,700,000.00 a year

cjm720
02-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure I understand why the entity exists.

MTZag03
02-19-2014, 04:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Mark_Emmert_portrait_painting_by_Michele_Rushworth .jpg/220px-Mark_Emmert_portrait_painting_by_Michele_Rushworth .jpg
Mark Emmert No.1 Jackass
$1,700,000.00 a year

A fine gentleman. I had the privilege of attending UW while he was president (10% tuition increase per year although mostly not his fault). It was very fitting he went on to the NCAA.

I remember at GU how our president, being a priest, had taken a vow of poverty. Hence another reason that even if I have degrees from both schools, I only root for GU and only identify as a GU alumni.

As for the NCAA...what a joke.

Angelo Roncalli
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Amazed that SMC was able to keep Omar eligible.

northsidezagfan
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM

It's a violation to wash your car on campus, is it against the rules to hose Omar down after his third helping of spaghetti and meat sauce? I picture Omar at a spaghetti dinner and I see this....

http://lifeofdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Spaghetti-Mess-Baby.jpg

DixieZag
02-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Well, I mean they did keep him eligible, on the other hand, they have proven that they'll go around rules. The laws of physics and human metabolism are near proof that there was something that needed to be investigated there. I wonder if there are receipts laying around somewhere. . . .

a13coach
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks Angelo. As I am on the backend of a nasty cold virus my nasal passages and trachea are clearing fluids, I am now having to clean said fluids off my tablet.

jake
02-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Classic and hilarious.

jake
02-20-2014, 08:24 AM
There are a lot of NCAA rules that are ridiculous, but in this case it was a self-reported violation that, the article that I read said, the NCAA determined wasn't a violation. I think the simple fact that the school thought there might be an issue to report shows that some rules are over the top, but as far as an actual violation, the NCAA said there wasn't one.

wnczagfan
02-20-2014, 05:00 PM
There are a lot of NCAA rules that are ridiculous, but in this case it was a self-reported violation that, the article that I read said, the NCAA determined wasn't a violation. I think the simple fact that the school thought there might be an issue to report shows that some rules are over the top, but as far as an actual violation, the NCAA said there wasn't one.

It might be a trick! Self-report some trivial violation, while concealing some huge violation like extra helpings of dessert.