PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Gonzaga 77
BYU 69

This is a huge game. I agree that it's the biggest game so far this season. I believe the game with Memphis really prepared the Zags to beat BYU in their arena. It is time for the Zags to take the next step, which is winning a big game on the road. I know the Zags are really looking forward to this game. They are ready to show that they are playing their best basketball of the year right now. I feel that Gonzaga has the defense to stop BYU, and BYU does not have the defense to stop Gonzaga. BYU's failure to be a better defensive team will keep them from winning.

Yes, BYU has been tough to beat at home. I know they have only lost one game there this year, to Iowa State by two points. Gonzaga will be ready to show that they are better than Iowa State. And I believe that they are. This is the statement game that the Zags are ready for.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Gonzaga 85
BYU 84

Hopefully they don't make me take heart pills.

gonzagafan62
02-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Yes, BYU has been tough to beat at home. I know they have only lost one game there, to Iowa State by two points. Gonzaga will be ready to show that they are better than Iowa State. And I believe that they are. This is the statement game that the Zags are ready for.

Oh and Reborn, I think I forgot something. Aren't we already better than Iowa State? I mean, look, we already showed this :p

Gonzaga beat West Virginia IN Morgantown. Iowa State got blasted by them just a couple weeks ago IN Morgantown.

I guess this would double up Iowa State. :lmao:

stevet75
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
At the half we will be thinking the Zags have dug themselves a nice hole, but not a huge one, say 10 pts.
In the second half the Zags defense begins to wear on the BYU players and they start missing shots and making mistakes.
Zags come back to win by 4. 77 -73

cbbfanatic
02-18-2014, 11:18 AM
business-like win. up 6 at half, win by 9, never too terribly worried.

Zags11
02-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Zags 81
byu 78

karno with 21.

wnczagfan
02-18-2014, 12:49 PM
My BYU prediction story:

The team having been chided about missing bunnies in the last few games, Shem arrives in the locker room carrying two rabbits by the ears in each hand, saying "I am not sure if these are the bunnies we were missing, but they were the only ones I could find." After being praised sincerely for his excellent grasp of the English language, the coaches concede that perhaps he might need a little tutoring in "Slang." It is decided that Dick Vitale has perhaps the best command of basketball slang in the country, and that they will ask him to give Shem some pointers during halftime.

As the Zags appear on the court, Mark Few looks over at Dave Rose and sees a big grin on his face . Few in confusion turns to look at our players and, shocked, sees that they are wearing their black unis. He runs over and ushers them back off the court, and they then reappear wearing their blue unis. Few looks over again at Dave Rose, and seeing him sigh and looking sad, contentedly sits down to await the start of the game.

Even before the clock begins to tick, the BYU fans boo the referees for some perceived ill with regard to how the referee threw up the ball at tipoff.

Then, every time David Stockton is on the court, some fans chant "Who's Your Daddy?" showing that, even after several years of college, they have failed to grasp even the most rudimentary concept.

Kyle Wiltjer is spotted on the bench sporting new long flowing golden locks of hair, hinting to Gonzaga fans that his development into the next Kelly Olynyk is just about complete, and leaving Zags fans dreaming that in future games with BYU they can chant "You got Wiltjered!" because "You got Pangoed" never had quite the right ring.

After being "spiked" and knocked to the ground, Sam is offered a hand up by a BYU player who is praised by the announcers for his good sportsmanship. Noticing that Sam is bleeding profusely from a gash on his arm, Jennifer puts a bandaid on it. When it is still bleeding profusely, Jennifer puts the magic SECOND bandaid on it, and Sam is "good to go" back into the game.

It is announced at halftime that the WCC tournament will not have any play conducted on the Sunday of the tournament. The BYU crowd lets out a huge groan, because despite how well-meaning it was of the WCC officials, they were hoping that, just this once, they would gave a good excuse to get out of going to church.

As the second half progresses, BYU goes on a tear; but unfortunately for them it is like one of those tears your get in the back seam of your too tight pants when you bend over, and then have to untuck your shirt to try and cover up, wondering if your pants will rip right off of you if you make the wrong move.

The Zags score at will and then quintuple team Haws every time he gets the ball. Despite a great showing from Haws, the Zags go on to win the game.

Haws, after scoring a career high 56 points in yet another losing effort, finally cannot take it anymore and declares "I am just going to take my ball and go home." The BYU crowd goes silent, either stunned, or for the first time since the game began to pause from booing to take a breath.

Zags 70

BYU. 62

P.S. Wearing a classic black trilby hat and black sunglasses, new Gonzaga Mormon commit Jesse Wade shocks BYU fans and delights Gonzaga fans by announcing that his "mission" for 2015-2017 is going to be to lay waste to BYU and the rest of the WCC on the basketball court.

Asked to comment on this development after the game, Shem says "Jesse is incredible with a capital "I", Baby! He's going to be a Diaper Dandy!"

Zagtana
02-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Zags are healthier than they have been all season - not quite 100% but getting close. BYU will grab, elbow and shove Karno ruthlessly but he will be ready for it and make the Cougs pay. Bell, Barham, Draino and Pangs will rain in threes - yes, even on the road. Stocks and Dower will also have great games. GU will be fired up and ready for this one. We're number one. Zags 80, BYU 66.

BaldguyZag
02-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Zags 79
BYU 71

Business like win!

Just win baby!

zag67
02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Hard fought game. We win the boards. Stock gets 4 assists and 2 steals. Pangos, Barham, and GB hit from long distance.
GU 83
BYU 75

DixieZag
02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
I too see the Zags falling behind initially and I think the key will be how far behind; 5-8 ok, 11+ uh-oh.

I think that they'll make a hard charge from behind led by Dower and Pangos starts hitting in his personal house of horror after loosening the toe a little.

BYU will wear down some, may have someone foul out and Zags take a small lead - - BYU charges. We likely win by 2-4 pts (like last year) but it could easily go the other way.

Oh, and the crowd will go crazy booing and the BYU board will be screaming about the refs blowing the game more than why their team can't get it done in the small gym catholic league.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
I think we will struggle from 3 but play some of the best defense we have all year. Sam puts the team on his back, goes for 30+, and the Zags win something like 82-75. They will throw that zone at us but Kevin is able to dribble through to the middle and dish to Nunez for some hard dunks.

MDABE80
02-19-2014, 12:42 AM
We would be thee signature win that might get them into the Dance. This is an absolute MUST WIN for them. They'll do eveything possible to win this one. SO will their crowd. Tough game nearing the regular season's end. Hope Kevin's toe is continuing to improve. This game is a big deal. For both teams.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-19-2014, 02:16 AM
I predict that David Stockton will make a gutsy play in the final minute to seal a four-point Gonzaga win.

Reborn
02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Wow! One more day. This IS the one. I can hardly wait. Like they say, Great defense beats great offense. Zags will figure out a way. We've had very good game plans in the past to do just that. I'm looking forward to seeing how crazy their fans are going to be. We'll set a perfect trap for the Cougar, and one that he won't be able to get out of.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
We would be thee signature win that might get them into the Dance. This is an absolute MUST WIN for them. They'll do eveything possible to win this one. SO will their crowd. Tough game nearing the regular season's end. Hope Kevin's toe is continuing to improve. This game is a big deal. For both teams.

Exactly.

That's why I think it can go either way.

Zags11
02-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Yep big game. One I think will be a close game with mini runs but zags by 3 still.

Hokis
02-19-2014, 10:05 AM
BYU is not getting in the tourny, but they certainly make a push with a win tomorrow night against the Zags. BYU is overrated by most on this board. I don't even consider them a quality opponent. They lack so much, but so do the Zags.

I see the Zags getting shredded defensively.. Another long night due to the Zags failing to shut down the ONE player on the opposing team that can beat you. (Haws)

He will have a huge night. BYU 82 - Zags 74

gonzagafan62
02-19-2014, 10:12 AM
BYU is not getting in the tourny, but they certainly make a push with a win tomorrow night against the Zags. BYU is overrated by most on this board. I don't even consider them a quality opponent. They lack so much, but so do the Zags.

I see the Zags getting shredded defensively.. Another long night due to the Zags failing to shut down the ONE player on the opposing team that can beat you. (Haws)

He will have a huge night. BYU 82 - Zags 74

And when was the last time Gonzaga has gotten shredded on the defensive end against Haws with Bell in the lineup? Please inform me.

Hokis
02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
And when was the last time Gonzaga has gotten shredded on the defensive end against Haws with Bell in the lineup? Please inform me.

Seriously? How about this.. How many times has Gonzaga been shredded by the one player that is the only player that can beat them?

Also, when are people going to stop overrating Gary Bells defensive skills, lawd. He's a good defender but you guys really claim he's some lock down defender which is just funny.

Anyway, thank you for allowing my opinion.

gonzagafan62
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
I was just merely saying that Tyler Haws, cannot be stopped, just merely contained, or can he be stopped? 1 point in Spokane shows that he can be stopped, however, containing him is probably the best way to do things.

2013 @ Gonzaga - 23 Points
2012 @ Gonzaga - 1 Point
2012 @ BYU - 19 points

I am not overrating Bell's defensive skills at all, but Bell can make guys throw up crazy shots. Haws can hit those shots, but its not like he'll go off for 30 or 40 points either. The last thing I am worried about is Haws. If there is anyone I am more concerned about its probably Collinsworth. Yeah Haws will get his 20. So be it.

wnczagfan
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Interesting article from Salt Lake Tribune...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/57554667-77/byu-game-gonzaga-conference.html.csp

bartruff1
02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't see how this games changes anything for either team...except maybe seeding for Gonzaga in the Dance... the WCC Tourney and the automatic bid is THE game for BYU to make the NCAA....

This would be a good win...but hardly a poor loss...

I think Gonzaga has to win one of the final 4 games to be the sole regular season champion. A loss to Pacific or San Diego would be much worse.

If the best team wins...Gonzaga should win but it is tough to win on the road against a good team with a big hostile rooting section...

if Gonzaga loses, I don't see that as a big deal...if BYU wins....IMHO they still have to win the WCC Tourney Championship and would likely have to win the rubber against Gonzaga.

primal23
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Hope I am wrong

GU 72
BYU 83

GU scoring droughts as of late have me really worried about this game.

ZAGGED OUT
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Hokis, it's not just this board, any analyst will say GBJ is a great defender. Nobody said he's a DPOY. Show me anyone else who has locked Hawks down to ONE POINT on any court. You clearly haven't watched either team if you think GU will be "shredded" defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Hokis, it's not just this board, any analyst will say GBJ is a great defender. Nobody said he's a DPOY. Show me anyone else who has locked Hawks down to ONE POINT on any court. You clearly haven't watched either team if you think GU will be "shredded" defensively.

+100000000

TheGonzagaFactor
02-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Well said!

RenoZag
02-19-2014, 04:23 PM
GU scoring droughts as of late have me really worried about this game.

This. BYU is good enough to win if the Zags fail to find the twine with consistency.

Cougars: 76
Bulldogs: 71

upan8th
02-19-2014, 04:45 PM
PK & SD set new Guinness record for most bunnies missed in college game, making 2 (both dunks) of 22. KP misses first 14 trey attempts but keeps "shootin' to get hot" while logging 38 of the game's 40 minutes. Box score tallies 2 of 22 for KP, ironically the same total as the record number of misses by Sam & Shrem combined, but doesn't come close to Guinness record for missed threes currently held by BYU "point" guard Matt Carlino, whose 3 for 33 record established earlier in his career will probably never be eclipsed. Only Zag in the first half to make half his shots, GC, is pulled after being fouled on a break away dunk, and missing the free throw. Carlino, (more irony in a game filled with it) goes off for 33 points over a hapless, grasping David Stockton, who is one of five Zags fouling out trying to contain Carlino and Jimmer Jammer Steve Hawes who sets an NCAA (and, naturally, a Guinness) record with 48 made free throws in 50 attempts.

Unbelievably, thanks to BYU's cape & sword defense, Angel Nunez' 35 points, GC's 20 in the last three minutes of the game (as the last sub on the bench, GC is sent back in the game with a wag of Mark Few's finger after the fifth Zag takes the fifth). Only after Brian Bashkar's half court heave rims out at the buzzer do the Coug's secure a record setting 118 to 116 victory. Coug students rush the court and three of them are hospitalized after being cold-cocked by Nate Austin (0 points, 5 fouls). "I thought they were coming after me," Nate explained in a post game interview.

wnczagfan
02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
"I thought they were coming after me," Nate explained in a post game interview.

LOL.

I didn't like your eventual winner, though.

P.S. Hope Stockton proves you wrong tomorrow night. :)

ZagsGoZags
02-19-2014, 10:03 PM
It will be boring to watch the BYU fans boo their hearts out over every foul called against their team, even the obvious ones. Theirs is the only gym I can think of where it is so predictable that basketball objectivity does not exist.

Zippyzaggy
02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
This should be a fairly easy win.

Early in the year we needed Edwards to spell our only two bigs, Dower & Karno, but mono was a culprit. Then, Nunez would be the answer as soon as he became eligible. We didn't seem much improved when it happened.

Coleman would lead the way but found himself polishing the bench.

Injuries piled up and the flu was ravaging the team. If only these things would pass, the Zags would finally emerge as the team they should be.

Now we are flu free and for the most part healthy, w/ the exception of a toe.

There are no more excuses. Not saying they weren't valid, but we have everything in place now...it's GO TIME.

Zags 81
BYU 77

gamagin
02-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Inlander (weekly magazine in Spokane) Sports writer Mike Bookey weighs in . . .

http://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/archives/2014/02/20/zag-watch-down-the-stretch-edition

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-20-2014, 04:58 PM
There are no more excuses. ...........it's GO TIME.

+1

wnczagfan
02-20-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure why, but I really want to totally obliterate this team more than any other we play.

bballbeachbum
02-20-2014, 08:07 PM
hope Zags can shoot it well, hopefully Kevin can get it going

Hokis
02-21-2014, 03:18 PM

Weird. BYU scored at will.. Maybe I need watch less.

gonzagafan62
02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Weird. BYU scored at will.. Maybe I need watch less.

Wait, how many did Haws make? I missed the final tally. Or maybe it wasn't enough to need to keep up with.

ArchaeaBYU
02-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Wait, how many did Haws make? I missed the final tally. Or maybe it wasn't enough to need to keep up with.

You did a good job on Haws who was held to about ten points below his season average.

ZAGGED OUT
02-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Thank you Archaea, the problem was not GBJ's defense at all, you can hate on him all you want hokis, but I think even Archaea will acknowledge that Bell is a great defender. Their guards didn't really pace the offense (aside from Winders career free throw night), it was mainly their bigs consistently getting to the line or just getting buckets. If you want to approach this subject with stats or actual circumstances where Bell didn't play D well then go ahead, but you can continue to be an uneducated fan with your generalizing statements of "their team scored at will".

ArchaeaBYU
02-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Thank you Archaea, the problem was not GBJ's defense at all, you can hate on him all you want hokis, but I think even Archaea will acknowledge that Bell is a great defender. Their guards didn't really pace the offense (aside from Winders career free throw night), it was mainly their bigs consistently getting to the line or just getting buckets. If you want to approach this subject with stats or actual circumstances where Bell didn't play D well then go ahead, but you can continue to be an uneducated fan with your generalizing statements of "their team scored at will".

Yep.

Rose kept Mika out of early foul trouble by inserting Sharp who is much less important.

Bell and Pangos are important cogs. Dogging Haws will reduce your offensive production.

MJ777
02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Yep.

Rose kept Mika out of early foul trouble by inserting Sharp who is much less important.

Bell and Pangos are important cogs. Dogging Haws will reduce your offensive production.

Bell played good defense, but Dower was getting abused by Mika when he was trying to guard him. Maybe he was trying too hard not to foul.

ArchaeaBYU
02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Bell played good defense, but Dower was getting abused by Mika when he was trying to guard him. Maybe he was trying too hard not to foul.

Mika is a better than average big man, and will end up one of the better bigs by the completion of his career. He is strong mobile and coordinated. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes, but he when plays with fire, he is very good. He's learning to kick out the ball. Dower had some good plays.