PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Bright To Join Gaels Next Year

Akzag
02-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Stanford senior Aaron Bright taking advantage of the graduate and transfer rule ...

Sources have confirmed that Stanford point guard Aaron Bright will transfer to St. Mary's and be eligible next season.

Bright, a senior, dislocated his right shoulder during a Thanksgiving Day practice. He is recuperating from surgery. He played in only seven games this season, making him eligible for a medical redshirt.

He averaged 5.9 points and 2.3 assists per game this season.

After he graduates in June, Bright will transfer to the Moraga campus. As part of the graduate-transfer rule, the MVP of the 2012 NIT does not have to sit out a season.

The timing is right for the Gaels: Point guard Stephen Holt is a senior, and there is no heir apparent to Holt on the active roster.

- Steve Kroner

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Aaron-Bright-to-transfer-from-Stanford-to-St-5243091.php

ZagaZags
02-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Stanford senior Aaron Bright taking advantage of the graduate and transfer rule ...

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Aaron-Bright-to-transfer-from-Stanford-to-St-5243091.php

This is a nice addition for the WCC.

Zagdawg
02-17-2014, 09:55 PM
This will help with the dropoff that St Marys will have losing 3 starters----Holt--Beau and Walker---along with bench guys Mccoy and Hodgson.

Bright will be coming in along with 2 bigs for them (Coleman, Hermanson and Naar come off RS year also).

This coming year will also be the first year of St Marys experiencing their loss of 2 scholies due to the violations.

Ekrub
02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Steve Holt!

webspinnre
02-17-2014, 10:33 PM
That's a really nice transfer for them.

BaldguyZag
02-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Yeah whatever! I'll take Perkins & Melson any day!

GoZags
02-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Aaron is a great kid and he will help the Gaels next season. This helps our conference as a whole ....

ZagaZags
02-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Aaron is a great kid and he will help the Gaels next season. This helps our conference as a whole ....

+1

MDABE80
02-18-2014, 12:26 AM
As GZ knows, we wanted Aaron. SMC got a good one. Congrats to them.

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 01:25 AM
What would anyone voluntarily leave Stanford? For SMC? Please advise.

ZagaZags
02-18-2014, 01:32 AM

Maybe he heard Johnny Dawkins will be back.:roll:

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 04:33 AM
Maybe he heard Johnny Dawkins will be back.:roll:

OK, then maybe the recruits will bolt, too......

ZagMania
02-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that Bright got hurt this season, and is taking a medical redshirt. However, Stanford didn't plan on him being back for a 5th year and had already granted out his scholarship for next year to an incoming freshman. So Bright was in a way out of options with Stanford and had to leave if he wanted to play his last year of college bball.

wnczagfan
02-18-2014, 05:37 AM
"the MVP of the 2012 NIT..."

What is the NIT? :p

Angelo Roncalli
02-18-2014, 06:08 AM

He'll be graduating with his class this spring. He'll have his Stanford degree. He'll get more playing time at SMC next year; he's a good fit for Bennett' system. Kind of like Barham transferring to GU.

He's a very nice kid and good student; I was a guest lecturer at his Bellevue High School AP Government class his senior year. He was well-prepared for Stanford.

cjm720
02-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Good get for the Gaels. I always thought he'd be a nice Zag.

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 07:34 AM
He'll be graduating with his class this spring. He'll have his Stanford degree. He'll get more playing time at SMC next year; he's a good fit for Bennett' system. Kind of like Barham transferring to GU.

He's a very nice kid and good student; I was a guest lecturer at his Bellevue High School AP Government class his senior year. He was well-prepared for Stanford.

Excellent, thanks Pop....Like Greg Paulus the Dookie going to play FB someplace. Now an assistant at The OSU.

To paraphrase JFK, Bright will now have the best of both worlds, ah-yuh, Stanford degreee and ah-yuh, Zag basketball experience. :)

Nevada Don
02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Excellent, thanks Pop....Like Greg Paulus the Dookie going to play FB someplace. Now an assistant at The OSU.

To paraphrase JFK, Bright will now have the best of both worlds, ah-yuh, Stanford degreee and ah-yuh, Zag basketball experience. :)

Appreciate the comments and the positive attitude coming our way concerning Aaron Bright.
Go Gaels !

BobZag
02-18-2014, 02:24 PM
If I were a Gael fan, I'd be thrilled about this news.

sittingon50
02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
& I thought all the Black Helicopters flew up here in Colville!

http://members4.boardhost.com/donscentral/msg/1392747446.html

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 02:32 PM

PSG and Barca roll! the rich get richer.

007Zag
02-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Appreciate the comments and the positive attitude coming our way concerning Aaron Bright.
Go Gaels !

Your username suggests you're a USF fan, and you're cheering on the Gaels on a Gonzaga forum. I'm so confused.

Teasing aside, congrats. Good get for the Gaels.

Zagdawg
02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
The Dons are just upset because they thought they would finally move up from 4th best WCC team to 3rd.........now it will not be so easy of a battle.

I heard coach walters tweeted "Bright wouldn't even start for the Dons if I were to allow him on my team"

Section 116
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
How does Aaron Bright figure in to SMC's scholarship limitations for 2014/15 and 2015/16? For instance, could he be considered a walk on and not count toward the limitations?

Zagdawg
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
If he walked on and paid his own tuition --that would be great for them.

It sounds like he filled their last open scholly for next year.

jazzdelmar
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
If he walked on and paid his own tuition --that would be great for them.

It sounds like he filled their last open scholly for next year.

He's a Stanford grad, he can afford it.

maynard g krebs
02-18-2014, 02:55 PM
I saw Bright a few times at Bellevue and hoped the Zags could sign him. Better player than he was able to show most of the time at Stanford. He'll star at SMC if healthy, given the opportunity he'll have there.

CDC84
02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
In my opinion, Bright isn't as good as Stephen Holt at either end.

But he's certainly a good get for St. Mary's given their current situation with the NCAA and such. He stabilizes the PG position on next year's team.

MJGoGaels
02-18-2014, 03:24 PM

I was thrilled. Hi Bob. It's been tempted year. Hoping we can make a little pop at the end of the year and keep it interesting. Having Aaron will be a bright spot in our transitional period. Take care, MJ

BobZag
02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
PSG and Barca roll! the rich get richer.

Ibra. He's on a mission.

MJ, howdy. Bright is legit, congrats.

willandi
02-18-2014, 06:23 PM
"the MVP of the 2012 NIT..."

What is the NIT? :p

A tournament for Huskies and the Cardinal to show how great they are!

SWZag
02-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Great for the Gaels and good for the conference. Looking forward to playing SMC next year already.

The Stanford Daily: Aaron Bright to Transfer to Saint Mary's (http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/02/18/aaron-bright-to-transfer-to-st-marys/)

Aaron Bright "will leave Stanford as the programís 10th-place all-time rebounder with his career total of 316."
I believe it's supposed to be assists... But still nice to have a guy, who in 3 years (plus a few games), has reached the Top 10 in assists at a Pac-12 school to join the WCC is pretty nice.

SWZag

Nevada Don
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Your username suggests you're a USF fan, and you're cheering on the Gaels on a Gonzaga forum. I'm so confused.

Teasing aside, congrats. Good get for the Gaels.

You think you're confused.

My first name is Don. I am a Gael. I respect Gonzaga and the vast majority of the posters here. USF's Don's Central (DC) banned me yesterday for making some common sense comments.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's commendable the amount of respect I see on this thread for certain subjects related to SMC. Delly being a prime example and now also the transfer of Aaron Bright. I for one appreciate it.

kitzbuel
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM

USF's Don's Central (DC) banned me yesterday for making some common sense comments.

Wha...?

http://www.macolabels.com/art/surprised-kid.jpg

primal23
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM

My first name is Don. I am a Gael. I respect Gonzaga and the vast majority of the posters here. USF's Don's Central (DC) banned me yesterday for making some common sense comments.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. It's commendable the amount of respect I see on this thread for certain subjects related to SMC. Delly being a prime example and now also the transfer of Aaron Bright. I for one appreciate it.

Common sense and Dons Central are like oil and water. And to add my 2 cents, very good get for SMC, got a huge hole to fill with Holt leaving and this will sure help a ton.

sittingon50
02-19-2014, 01:31 PM
"USF's Don's Central (DC) banned me yesterday for making some common sense comments. "

Get in line, rookie!