PDA

View Full Version : Player Improvement

Hogan
02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
One of the joys to me is seeing our players improve over time. It is particularly impressive because many of our guys arrive with such a high skill level that significant improvement can be difficult. Some of the examples that stand out to me are:

Stockton:It wasn't but a couple years ago that I would cringe if David was trying to bring the ball up court, or handling the ball up top, under good defensive pressure. Not any more. His ability now to penetrate and create is also very impressive. ( Although the new enforcement against hand-checking has certainly helped. )

Pangos: Kevin, in particular arrived with such a high skill level that significant improvement would be hard. But we have seen a real jump in his ability to penetrate and create. He'll never be elite but even with his injuries we have seen a real improvement. This could only occur with a lot of hard work.

Karnowski: The improvements have been slow and sometimes subtle but from last year to this year is night and day. Again, this only happens with a lot of hard work both by Karno and the coaches.

Dower: I think one of the hardest things to improve upon is toughness and competitiveness. Often times you either have it or you don't. But Sam has improved tremendously in this regard. A real credit to Sam and the coaches.

Dranginis: I watched Kyle play a couple times in high school, and while I loved his skill I would not have described him with words like tough or hard-nosed. I would now. In some ways Kyle reminds me of Steven Gray. When I watched Steven in high school I thought he had one of the most beautiful, picture-perfect jump shots I had ever seen. After his freshmen year I thought Steven's shooting declined. He became a good but no longer great shooter.But boy did his defense and toughness ever improve.

We have the privilege of watching fine young men who love the game and work very hard behind the scenes to make themselves better.

Baseline
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM
I quite agree with your stated comments with a few differences.

Shem to me has mad a gigantic jump in his defense and rebounding. He has gone from a guy with a foul problem to a force inside that controls the paint. Shem is what has made the defense go this year. by controlling the paint to the point no one comes inside, the guards can gamble more and play further out and affect the 3 pointers. Shem is now starting to make changes in his offensive game. He now is doing more face up short jumpers and not a over the middle hook shot player. Someone is obviously working very hard with him to advance his game.

Stockton has surprised me in is game, the kid is solid.

Kyle has become a great glue guy and is absolutely great on rebounding. He is a hesitant shooter, even though his stats are pretty good. I thought he would be GU's best 3 man when he came in and still might be before its all over. I believe right now he is our best overall guard and should be getting more minutes.

Colman has some real talent, but is one dimensional and forces things, just when you think he has started to learn to be a team player he reverts. Not sure if he will realize his potential at this rate.

Dower has gotten better on defense, but the most important thing is he will now put the ball on the floor and drive, not just take a quick shot. This is totally changing his game and making him more dangerous. If he had done this earlier in his career he would have played more and would have been a much bigger threat. His new ability to move with the ball may make him NBA material, but he still has a way to go to make that aspect what it can be.

Angel has been a bit slow learning the flow, but their are good signs he is getting it and could be the surprise player next year or a real help at the end of this year.

To me the most underutilized person is Ryan Edwards. The kid has a good game that has been greatly wasted this year. I hope that changes.

ZagHouse
02-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Man, would love to go through the archives and find all the posts about how Few doesn't or can't develop talent. The players who improve must get better watching games on CBS and ESPN.

Zag Man
02-17-2014, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Hogan;985545]Dranginis: I watched Kyle play a couple times in high school, and while I loved his skill I would not have described him with words like tough or hard-nosed. I would now. In some ways Kyle reminds me of Steven Gray. When I watched Steven in high school I thought he had one of the most beautiful, picture-perfect jump shots I had ever seen. After his freshmen year I thought Steven's shooting declined. He became a good but no longer great shooter.But boy did his defense and toughness ever improve.

This is a good comparison. Steven was one of my favorite Zag players because he was a lock-down defensive machine. Kyle is slowly becoming that kind of player. The nice thing about Kyle is that he can really move when advancing the ball on the fast-break and he finishes well at the rim. Kyle is also an excellent rebounder and passer. He has really improved during the course of the season and will be a real star his last 2 seasons at GU.