PDA

View Full Version : POLLS 02-17-14

flytiezag
02-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Zags back at 25 ap poll .Usa poll 22 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Good to see Zags back in the Top 25!

DixieZag
02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Surprises me. I actually think that polls matter slightly at the end of the year when the committee looks around.

Oregonzagnut
02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
WOW!!! Freakinig AWESOME! I know many people here think the polls are worthless, but as far as media hype, stories and having scores and articles readily available, the attention and talk about Gonzaga increases 3 fold when we are in the AP Top 25.

this makes winning at BYU of utmost importance and may be the biggest test of the year with huge implications for our tournament selection and seeding.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 08:36 AM
WOW!!! Freakinig AWESOME! I know many people here think the polls are worthless, but as far as media hype, stories and having scores and articles readily available, the attention and talk about Gonzaga increases 3 fold when we are in the AP Top 25.

this makes winning at BYU of utmost importance and may be the biggest test of the year with huge implications for our tournament selection and seeding.

+1

exclusivelee
02-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Zags moved up from 44 votes & #27 last week to 112 votes & #25 this week

#23 SMU. #25 Pitt, #26 Oklahoma had less than satisfactory results last week:

SMU lost @ 7-17 Temple
Pitt lost a couple close games to Syracuse & North Carolina
Oklahoma lost at home to Texas Tech

But UCLA leap-frogged us with strong home wins against Colorado & Utah, moving from #28 & 43 votes last week to #23 & 168 votes this week

exclusivelee
02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
USA Today poll finally out:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/?sf22916516=1

Zags move up to #22 & 128 votes from #24 & 78 votes last week

Gonzaga leap-frogged Ohio State, Memphis, & Pitt, but UConn hopped ahead of us from #26 to #21

Chicken Ball
02-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Maybe the polled realized that a close loss on the road against a good team really shouldn't have dramatically altered their views of this team.

Oregonzagnut
02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
But UCLA leap-frogged us with strong home wins against Colorado & Utah, moving from #28 & 43 votes last week to #23 & 168 votes this week

Of course we MUST win this week but....

UCLA plays @Cal and @Stanford this week.
Memphis plays @ Rutgers
UConn plays @Temple.

siliconzag
02-17-2014, 10:17 AM
These glamour polls are obviously fraudulent. Creighton's Bluejays have beaten Villanova twice, both times by over 20 points. Yet Villanova is still rated 9 and Creighton 11 in AP, (the coaches place them 12th with Nova 11th). How many teams can you think of, having lost by 20+ margins twice could be rated higher, irrespective of the 1 loss difference in their overall record? The polls are beauty contests only. I think Florida is the best team in the country, and the odds on favorite to win the entire thing, but after them, there appears to be a lot of parity. Syracuse is going down sooner or later and probably twice. Wichita may run the table, but without Creighton in the MVC, the Arch Madness is Arch Sadness. I think Arizona has really been hurt with Brandon Ashley out, they are also vulnerable. I would say to Sean Miller, look out for the Ducks, and even the Beavers. (And you better look out for both Colorado and Utah while you are at it). I am betting Zona drops to a 2 or 3 seed before it is all over. SDSU is a really good team, but their offense is very streaky and depends too much on Xavier Thames.

Lunardi's analysis is likewise suspicious. He leaves Michigan St a 2 seed after being thrashed by Nebraska at home. Excuse me, that is a baaaaaad loss. (I love Sparty and Izzo, but really!...) Louisville's seed is a bit low at 6. Zags seed is about right IMO. (BTW, playing George Washington not an easy game, they grind it out and play ferocious defense).

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
These glamour polls are obviously fraudulent. Creighton's Bluejays have beaten Villanova twice, both times by over 20 points. Yet Villanova is still rated 9 and Creighton 11 in AP, (the coaches place them 12th with Nova 11th). How many teams can you think of, having lost by 20+ margins twice could be rated higher, irrespective of the 1 loss difference in their overall record? The polls are beauty contests only. I think Florida is the best team in the country, and the odds on favorite to win the entire thing, but after them, there appears to be a lot of parity. Syracuse is going down sooner or later and probably twice. Wichita may run the table, but without Creighton in the MVC, the Arch Madness is Arch Sadness. I think Arizona has really been hurt with Brandon Ashley out, they are also vulnerable. I would say to Sean Miller, look out for the Ducks, and even the Beavers. (And you better look out for both Colorado and Utah while you are at it). I am betting Zona drops to a 2 or 3 seed before it is all over. SDSU is a really good team, but their offense is very streaky and depends too much on Xavier Thames.

Lunardi's analysis is likewise suspicious. He leaves Michigan St a 2 seed after being thrashed by Nebraska at home. Excuse me, that is a baaaaaad loss. (I love Sparty and Izzo, but really!...) Louisville's seed is a bit low at 6. Zags seed is about right IMO. (BTW, playing George Washington not an easy game, they grind it out and play ferocious defense).

I agree with a lot of what you said except Florida. I don't think they are the best in the country, but I may be relying on some laurels that make me a Tennessee football fan...LOL!

Secondly, Nebraska isn't a bad loss now. Somehow they have sneaked back on the bubble.

siliconzag
02-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said except Florida. I don't think they are the best in the country, but I may be relying on some laurels that make me a Tennessee football fan...LOL!

Secondly, Nebraska isn't a bad loss now. Somehow they have sneaked back on the bubble.

Not so sure about the Huskers, however their program is improving despite all the turmoil in Lincoln. My biggest question for you however is, if not Florida, who? Who is your personal favorite to cut down the nets?

webspinnre
02-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Syracuse belongs in that discussion.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Not so sure about the Huskers, however their program is improving despite all the turmoil in Lincoln. My biggest question for you however is, if not Florida, who? Who is your personal favorite to cut down the nets?

I still think when Embid comes back Kansas has the best team, IMO. With Brandon Ashley out, Arizona has looked very flawed. Wichita State has a good team, too, but I would consider losing one before hand, lol. And Syracuse has struggled a lot lately. Kansas has the most Top 100 teams won against, and the toughest SOS. I give them the favorite at the moment for me.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bubble-watch

According to Jerry Palm, Nebraska is in the discussion.

Zags11
02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Yea but match ups cause upsets. Glad zags made the poll. If you go from polls, zags be first 7 seed.

siliconzag
02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
I still think when Embid comes back Kansas has the best team, IMO. With Brandon Ashley out, Arizona has looked very flawed. Wichita State has a good team, too, but I would consider losing one before hand, lol. And Syracuse has struggled a lot lately. Kansas has the most Top 100 teams won against, and the toughest SOS. I give them the favorite at the moment for me.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bubble-watch

According to Jerry Palm, Nebraska is in the discussion.

Agree with above analysis, even if I place Florida a little higher. Think Syracuse is quite vulnerable, as North Carolina State recently demonstrated. In terms of the Huskers, I remain to be convinced, apologies to Palm and the distinguished and learned gentleman, Gonzagafan62. :)

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Agree with above analysis, even if I place Florida a little higher. Think Syracuse is quite vulnerable, as North Carolina State recently demonstrated. In terms of the Huskers, I remain to be convinced, apologies to Palm and the distinguished and learned gentleman, Gonzagafan62. :)

Hey I don't put a lot of faith in Nebraska either. LOL! But you still have to fill out all 68 teams somehow. You can put Florida up there if you wish, they are a good team. :)

CDC84
02-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I love Florida's team. But they have one problem. Who is the one guy in their rotation who is guaranteed to be a first round draft pick? Young may not get drafted. Hill is a mid-2nd rounder in next year's draft, and Walker will just be too inexperienced as a freshman entering the tournament. He basically hasn't played the whole season. Almost every team that wins the title has at least three first rounders, and usually a couple of them are lottery picks.

Then again, this is the kind of year where I could see a team like them winning it.

Syracuse is going through the classic phase where every team that faces them wants to be the team that kills their unbeaten season. The pressure is getting to them. It's rather obvious in the next couple of weeks that a loss is coming. Once that happens, you'll see more blow outs.

My worry with Kansas is their lack of solid point guard play. It could cost them a game in the tournament. Especially in a nail biter. They clearly have the best combination of talent and coaching but with more team cohesiveness than a team like Kentucky.

BaldguyZag
02-17-2014, 11:21 PM
If the Zags win out (excluding the conference tourney) I predict they'll land at #20 in the AP, #17 in the coaches poll.

exclusivelee
02-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Steady at #24 in today's release of CBS's Top 25 & 1:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25

Hokis
02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Maybe the polled realized that a close loss on the road against a good team really shouldn't have dramatically altered their views of this team.

Memphis is decent at best. Likely to fold before the 2nd week come March.

Zags have not beaten one single team this year that makes them deserving of being in the Top 25.

Of course this is simply my opinion, happy to see them ranked, but it's hardly warranted IMO

In fact, I don't think BYU or Saint Mary's are tournament caliber teams and I think the Zags will lose to one, if not both of them to end the season

cbbfanatic
02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
These glamour polls are obviously fraudulent. Creighton's Bluejays have beaten Villanova twice, both times by over 20 points. Yet Villanova is still rated 9 and Creighton 11 in AP,

so you prefer a 2 game sample to a 30 game sample? its a weird situation for sure (how lopsided those two games have been), but if you step back and compare resumes top to bottom, i doubt you would use this ONE example as evidence of fraud. putting too much into head to heads will put you into a circular logic pattern that will never end.

if villanova is playing creighton, give me creigton minus the points every day. if i have to put villanova or creighton up against the field, give me villanova, slightly.

i

gonzagafan62
02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
so you prefer a 2 game sample to a 30 game sample? its a weird situation for sure (how lopsided those two games have been), but if you step back and compare resumes top to bottom, i doubt you would use this ONE example as evidence of fraud. putting too much into head to heads will put you into a circular logic pattern that will never end.

if villanova is playing creighton, give me creigton minus the points every day. if i have to put villanova or creighton up against the field, give me villanova, slightly.

i

+1.

Creighton is a bad matchup for Villanova. Nova can't guard McDermott, and when Creighton plays him as a center, they have no answer for him. What really surprises me though is that the polls don't reflect this. But if I had to choose either one to make a strong run in the tournament, It might be Villanova. Villanova can match up with just about anyone besides Creighton.

The Blue Jays have losses to George Washington and Providence (Nova escaped last night @ Dunkin Donuts Center) and also to SDSU.
Nova's only other loss is to undefeated Syracuse.

Its funny how it all works out, and there really is no right or wrong answer (thank god we get to play it out) ...

Its basketball. Things happen.