PDA

View Full Version : Four Game Road Stretch a Blessing in Disguise?

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 06:14 AM
With a brutal road trip that means playing @BYU, @USD, @ Pacific and @SMC it seems like the ESPN's of the world, and the conference wanted some drama at the end of the season.

What they really did was help GU get healthy. All this talk about how the conference scheduling was so terrible, and I think we actually came up on the good side of the draw like we always do. Gonzaga wouldn't have had Gary Bell a couple weeks ago, to play in these games, if we needed him, or if this started the conference play, we may not have had Dower or Bell.

Now they are healthy and we still don't have a result in either column, and that is just fine by me. We needed Bell/Dower healthy, and I am glad we had the home games to start, so that we could bring them on the road with us to play.

Go Zags!!!!

kitzbuel
02-17-2014, 06:49 AM
It is definitely way better to have this four game road stretch now rather than to have had it at the beginning of the season. So, yes, if we have to put up with a four game road stretch, this appears to be the best time to do it.

I still would take a better balanced schedule, though.

Oregonzagnut
02-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Considering we are not peaking yet as a team (excluding Dower), we need to win these next 4 games like no other season since 2006-07. We have the players to go deep in the tourney, but we just don't have the consistency, especially from our back court. Somehow we need everyone to play their best games right now and cease with being cold from 3 and making strings of multi-possession turnovers and missed bunnies that give our opponents more chances.

Get ready for some nail-biters, but I honestly believe we will win out and get a 5-7 seed.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Considering we are not peaking yet as a team (excluding Dower), we need to win these next 4 games like no other season since 2006-07. We have the players to go deep, but we just don't have the consistency, especially from our back court.

Get ready for some nail-biters.

This is true also. BYU is bound and determined not to give up on the season quite yet, and you know they will come out and go all in persay in this game in Provo. I don't see them going down easily. But with Pangos looking better, Bell being more aggressive, and Dower looking extremely well, (we all know the defense we can play on Haws) .. and if we can limit him to under 20 points, I think we can win this game.

I am not so worried about Pacific even though they just beat BYU.

SMC not too terribly worried about them either, but I AM worried about USD. Johnny Dee seems to always play good games against GU. That team is so pesky, and you know Billy Greer wants to beat Mark Few badly.

Reborn
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
The scheduled has turned out to be better for the Zags, as has been mentioned by others, because of our injuries. Yes. A blessing is nice. Road games are always very tough, no matter who you are playing. I believe it's best to play the toughest teams at the end of the season, and especially this year. The fact that Gonzaga has played in three very very tough places to get a victory (West Virginia, Kansas St and Memphis) will certainly help the Zags. Getting a victory at USF will also help the Zags. That has always been a very tough place for the Zags to get a victory.

There's a saying that I like that fits here. You get what you need not what you want. And in the end you see that what you needed was what you wanted all along. At the beginning of the season few of us wanted the kind of schedule the Zags got this year. It looked like the WCC, or whoever makes the schedules, really had it in for Gonzaga. But, who could have guessed at that time that the Zags really did need the schedule they got.

Go Zags!!!

Baseline
02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
These last 4 are very winnable. I think the key to winning is to pound the ball inside and get foul problems, especially at BYU and SMC. If the intensity is there they can win it. I would like to see Nunez play at SMC for defensive purposes.

hondo
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
However if things turn sour at BYU there will be no chance to come home and right the ship.

Hoopaholic
02-17-2014, 03:10 PM
We will be on the road for 4 weeks. That is tough even on guys getting paid millions......

MTZag03
02-17-2014, 04:42 PM
It also gives GU some real late season tests. Remember all the seasons that GU peaked in November and then had loads of terrible conference games to make the team a bit duller come tournament time? Yeah, I don't think they will have that problem this year.

drvenkman05
02-17-2014, 05:53 PM
With a brutal road trip that means playing @BYU, @USD, @ Pacific and @SMC it seems like the ESPN's of the world, and the conference wanted some drama at the end of the season.

What they really did was help GU get healthy. All this talk about how the conference scheduling was so terrible, and I think we actually came up on the good side of the draw like we always do. Gonzaga wouldn't have had Gary Bell a couple weeks ago, to play in these games, if we needed him, or if this started the conference play, we may not have had Dower or Bell.

Now they are healthy and we still don't have a result in either column, and that is just fine by me. We needed Bell/Dower healthy, and I am glad we had the home games to start, so that we could bring them on the road with us to play.

Go Zags!!!!

IRRELEVANT! Few has an .804 winning percentage. There is NO WAY we can lose more than 1 in this four-game stretch, because Few ALWAYS wins 80%, no matter the sample parameters, RIGHT?

Seriously though, Gonzaga = anytime, anywhere, and this road trip could be a nice "mock" NCAA tournament.