PDA

View Full Version : Max Good & LMU

Zag 77
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Was last night's game Max's farewell appearance at GU? Animated guy and fun to watch. I always figured he threw everybody for a loop by staying on at LMU instead of retiring when he got Coach of the Year a couple of years ago. That would have been the perfect time to exit the stage.

Can't figure out why LMU has been rebuilding and constantly full of injuries for what seems like 20 years. One would think it would be an easy place to get decent recruits, even if UCLA and USC get first pickings.

DixieZag
02-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I heard that he's a likeable guy, pretty popular - can't seem to get a break.

ZagaZags
02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
I like Max Good. The WCC has some good coaches and Max is one of them.

CDC84
02-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Both LMU and Pepperdine are in desperate need of better facilities. Until that happens or until there is movement to make it happen, it's going to be a hard sell...both for talented L.A. area recruits and future head coaches.

The thing about Max Good is that he just has the look of a basketball coach. He's always managed to get his guys to play hard, even when they've been short on talent and scholarship players.

Speaking of LMU....something needs to also be said about Anthony Ireland who played his last game at K2. That kid stuck it out at LMU when most kids would've transferred out to a BCS school. He's been a double digit scorer his whole career despite not having a whole lot of talent around him and having defenses glued to his every movement. At 5-10, 175lbs, he's been a hell of a player at this level. Better yet, I don't know if I have ever seen him showboat or take a play off in his college career.

I will never, ever forget the ovation he received at K2 after that 30 point performance last season. It wasn't the 30 points, but his relentless effort. He did everything he could possibly do to help his team win, and he just came up short.

It will probably be a very emotional senior night at LMU for Max Good.

Hoopaholic
02-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Both LMU and Pepperdine are in desperate need of better facilities. Until that happens or until there is movement to make it happen, it's going to be a hard sell...both for talented L.A. area recruits and future head coaches.

The thing about Max Good is that he just has the look of a basketball coach. He's always managed to get his guys to play hard, even when they've been short on talent and scholarship players.

Speaking of LMU....something needs to also be said about Anthony Ireland who played his last game at K2. That kid stuck it out at LMU when most kids would've transferred out to a BCS school. He's been a double digit scorer his whole career despite not having a whole lot of talent around him and having defenses glued to his every movement. At 5-10, 175lbs, he's been a hell of a player at this level. Better yet, I don't know if I have ever seen him showboat or take a play off in his college career.

I will never, ever forget the ovation he received at K2 after that 30 point performance last season. It wasn't the 30 points, but his relentless effort. He did everything he could possibly do to help his team win, and he just came up short.

It will probably be a very emotional senior night at LMU for Max Good.

without a doubt one of my al-time NON ZAG favorite WCC player...his approach, hard work and simply playing the game the way it is designed to be played has brought many enjoyable moments for me watching him

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 06:23 AM
without a doubt one of my al-time NON ZAG favorite WCC player...his approach, hard work and simply playing the game the way it is designed to be played has brought many enjoyable moments for me watching him

+1.

Here are my favorite WCC Non Zags:

Steve Nash
Dior Lowhorn
John Bryant
Brandon Johnson
Matthew Dellavadova
Diamond Simpson
Nik Ravio
Anothony Ireland

jazzdelmar
02-17-2014, 06:43 AM
+1.

Steve Nash
Dior Lowhorn
John Bryant
Brandon Johnson
Matthew Dellavadova
Diamond Simpson
Nik Ravio
Anothony Ireland

Brandon Johnson? You sure?

WallaWallaZag
02-17-2014, 06:48 AM
Brandon Johnson? You sure?

purely as a basketball player on the court...the guy was a very good talent.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2014, 06:52 AM
purely as a basketball player on the court...the guy was a very good talent.

no doubt....but we will never know which games he actually put all that talent out there.....

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 06:56 AM
2007-08 at USD: Started 34 of 35 games while leading the team in scoring (16.9), assists (3.5) and minutes played (35.1 ave.)... Set a new single season record for points with 590 and tallied 29 games in double digits... Reached 20 or more points 10 times with a career-best 28 points in WCC semi-final win over Saint Mary's... In that same contest set a school record for minutes played with 50 in the 75-69 come-from-behind double overtime victory... Scored 27 points in back-to-back road games at Kentucky and Marshall, and poured in 18 points in USD's NCAA victory over Connecticut... In three different games pulled down 9 rebounds, while also registering season-highs of 8 assists (LMU) and 7 steals (at Gonzaga).

He was an absolute flame thrower in the 2008 WCC tournament too. Remember the semi-finals game? I sure do. Kid was fun to watch. Then San Diego went on to upset UCONN as well.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2014, 06:57 AM
no doubt....but we will never know which games he actually put all that talent out there.....

Perhaps a little more Vegas money on San Diego and we would have seen it.

It's hard for me to put him on that list because of the shenanigans.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2014, 06:58 AM
It's cool seeing you guys give props to some opposing players. That kid from Portland by way of Spokane who is their leading rebounder this year is a very likeable player. He definitely isn't the most physically gifted but does a heck of a job.

gonzagafan62
02-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Perhaps a little more Vegas money on San Diego and we would have seen it.

It's hard for me to put him on that list because of the shenanigans.

Honestly, (as you could probably tell) The 2006-2009 era was probably my favorite. Those players from that day were all fantastic. If Johnson wouldn't have had those shenanigans maybe he would be on more everyone's list... But for me, I will never forget him blasting SMC in the WCC tourney, and getting 3 teams in the NCAA's

ZAGGED OUT
02-18-2014, 09:11 AM
+1.

Steve Nash
Dior Lowhorn
John Bryant
Brandon Johnson
Matthew Dellavadova
Diamond Simpson
Nik Ravio
Anothony Ireland

Not sure how you put Dova on the list over Mills. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
02-18-2014, 09:28 AM

This was just a rough draft on people from the top of my head. Mills certainly belongs on that list.

ToreroStudent
02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
I know Brandon directly and there is more to that story than was ever publicized. BJ didn't do it for greed. He had a kid who was starving in Texas and felt he had no other alternative. He acted with good intentions, but ultimately those intentions landed him in prison for 6 months. He paid for his mistakes.

Brandon is the greatest player ever to put on a USD uniform. He played with more heart than anyone i've ever seen out on our court. My favorite BJ image was him still trying to get to a loose ball on a fast break shortly after rupturing his Achilles. That kid never gave up, even when it was painful or unlikely. He was
USD basketball in the glory days.

It pains me to see that BJ's legacy is tarnished for what amounted to 2 games in which he didn't change the results, he simply shaved. He will never have his jersey retired and he's barred from campus. Remember him in the good ways. Trust me, the kid has paid for it and thensome.

cjm720
02-18-2014, 11:22 AM

I'd take Delly any day over Mills...

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd take Delly any day over Mills...

I agree... Delly was one tough SOB... and I mean that in a very good way. He was as tough and hard nosed as they came. He had the talent to back it up too.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-18-2014, 03:46 PM
I agree... Delly was one tough SOB... and I mean that in a very good way. He was as tough and hard nosed as they came. He had the talent to back it up too.

GU could take Delly out of the game, we couldn't stop Mills. IMO Delly is one of the most overrated WCC players ever and Patty one of the most underrated.

CDC84
02-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Gonzaga couldn't take out Delly his first three years. It took three years for Few to effectively take him out, and it only happened when key Gael players departed and Delly hit the brick wall from playing 40 MPG too many times his senior year.

Delly did something historic that Mills never did. He won a league title, breaking Gonzaga's run of consecutive league titles...the 2nd longest streak in the history of college ball. And he did it with a team that wasn't as talented as either of Patty's teams.

Patty's first team failed to make the WCC tourney final, and his second team got torched in the final. Delly got his team to the WCC final in each of his four seasons, and was able to beat Gonzaga in two title games.

Delly his first three years vs. Gonzaga:

1/14/2010 = 23 pts, 8-12 FG, 4-4 3PT, 3-3 FT, 7 assists,
2/11/2010 = 11 pts, 2-8 FG, 1-4 3PT, 6-6 FT, 3 assists,
3/8/2010 = 7 pts, 2-9 FG, 1-5 3 PT, 2-2 FT, 6 assists,
1/27/2011 = 15 pts, 5-15 FG, 3-9 3PT, 2-2 FT, 5 assists
2/24/2011 = 24 pts, 6-12 FG, 3-8 3 PT, 9-9 FT, 5 assists
3/7/2011 = 21 pts, 8-17 FG, 3-6 3 PT, 2-2 FT, 3 assists
1/12/2012 = 26 pts, 10-16 FG, 5-10 3PT, 1-2 FT, 6 assists
2/9/2012 = 20 pts, 5-12 FG, 2-7 3PT, 8-8 FT, 4 assists
3/5/2012 = 22 pts, 8-21 FG, 2-6 3 PT, 4-4 FT, 4 assists

Totals: 18.7 PPG, 44.2% FG, 40.6% 3 PT, 97.3% FT, 4.8 APG

Mills' averages in his three and a half games vs. Gonzaga: 16.5 PPG, 33.3% FG, 30.0% 3 PT, 77.2% FT, 2.5 APG

He also committed 9 turnovers in those three and a half games.

Matthew Dellavedova to me was the superior player at the college level, although it's hard to make a proper assessment because Mills wasn't around that much. Also, I do give Delly a free pass his senior year, where he still managed to average 15.8 PPG, 38% 3PT, 85% FT, and 6.4 assists per game overall. But near the end, the gas tank went empty.

He was also one of best point guards I've ever seen at the college level when it came to running a high ball screen offense.

Oregonzagnut
02-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Sad to say, but I think the school never recovered from the tragic death of Hank Gathers and the fact that such big things were happening at LMU with Paul Westhead. Clearly a national championship was in the works. It is no coincidence that 1990 was the last year LMU has been to the dance and even without Hank they made it to the Elite 8.

LongIslandZagFan
02-19-2014, 05:46 AM
Sad to say, but I think the school never recovered from the tragic death of Hank Gathers and the fact that such big things were happening at LMU with Paul Westhead. Clearly a national championship was in the works. It is no coincidence that 1990 was the last year LMU has been to the dance and even without Hank they made it to the Elite 8.

Not sure I'd pin that run on Westphal. That was all Bo and Hank. You take the same game plan and put other players in the system you do not get the same result. Hank and Bo were very special players.

RIP Hank.

DixieZag
02-19-2014, 07:24 AM
Not sure I'd pin that run on Westphal. That was all Bo and Hank. You take the same game plan and put other players in the system you do not get the same result. Hank and Bo were very special players.

RIP Hank.

I remember how heartbroken we all were in the dorm when it happened. Strangely enough, those were the days when part of "Kennel Club" membership meant a raging party after - one often where the other team's players showed up (not often but I remember seeing some LMU guys, not sure about Hank), so there was some comraderey there.

I agree that it was not Westphal and the system. It was two guys that were near All Americans running a system they were born for. I don't think a NC was in the works, either. they might have gone far but a lot of those wins were a team playing out of their heads with out of their head effort for Hank. Had he lived, as soon as they graduated or moved on, the team would have fallen off.

They made some poor coaching hires and now Max just can't get it all together injury wise.

Zags11
02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Delly over mills any day. Mills was so overhyped on here. Delladova was a game changer. As much as delladova had stepp #s in march, he was just a really upper echelon player. Mills was good but just that.