PDA

View Full Version : Besides the senior night ...

gamagin
02-15-2014, 11:14 PM
I thought the play of KD, AN & PK stood out during this Sr. Night celebration.

Haven't seen the stats, but KD had a couple of big league picks. I think they were back to back. But what I liked was their cat-like quickness. Then he canned a timely three.

Shem was really brutalized underneath, but kept getting back up and sticking to his game, even though the stats may not show it. He went to the bench with what looked like a deep need for air from an elbow or some kind of hard blow to the solar plexus. Then his legs were cut from under him during a scramble for a ball and he hard-landed on an LMU player who had tripped him. It clearly was painful a and included a headbanger on the hardwood.

Angel blocked two shots ( maybe 3) and generally was instrumental in discouraging the LMU guards from finishing at the net like they seemed to be enjoying before AN put a stop to it with strong blocks. And his high arcing f.t. was a thing of beauty.

Finally, I thought numerous times that we need an enforcer under the net sooner than later as it's clear PK seems to be a regular heavy- handed target every game by every team. He needs some help with the double & triple teaming seemingly the norm.

Lastly, I think it's time PK moves a step closer to the basket when setting up. He seems to regularly be one to 1.5 steps from the rim and thus needs to dribble or reach too far forward, making it way to easy for smaller defenders to block his effort. He gets blocked a lot more than necessary, IMO. Without drawing a foul.

Feet planted closer to the rim would eliminate the need to lower his arms or to try and move or lower the ball to dribble himself closer to shoot.

Instead he should be close enough to the rim, have his feet all set, keep the ball up high and just stuff or drop it with one move, or pivot. Every time.

Zags11
02-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Good post.

RenoZag
02-16-2014, 05:31 AM
Jim Meehan's Game Story:

LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/stories/2014/feb/16/olynyk-returns-to-mac-as-gonzaga-gets-past-loyola/)

“I told them a couple things: To finish the season undefeated at home, I don’t know how many college basketball teams have done that but it’s not many,” coach Mark Few said. “The fact we’re 23-4 at this point, we might have had three teams that have had that record. And to clinch at least a league title in the second week of February is quite an accomplishment.

“They need to enjoy it and feel good about it.”

Also on the S-R Web site: A long feature story on The Kennel Club: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/feb/16/sound-and-fury-gonzaga-kennel-club/

Ezag
02-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior night video with Kelly O
http://www.kxly.com/sports/gonzaga-celebrates-senior-night-with-win-over-lmu/-/100918/24509702/-/xip4g6z/-/index.html

Radbooks
02-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Here is Meehan's Day After post which is always filled with lots of extra stuff that don't make it into his article. LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/feb/16/day-after-loyola-marymount/)

STATS OF NOTE

—Dranginis had 13 highly productive minutes with 5 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.

—Angel Nunez had similar numbers in 14 minutes, finishing with 5 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks.

—GU’s bench, with the help of Bell’s 14 points (Barham started in his place) outscored LMU’s 29-2. The Lions were essentially down to six healthy players.

—The Zags made 20 of 25 FTs. Pangos went 2 of 2 and sits at 90 percent for the season (81 of 90)

—Gonzaga is shooting 50 percent for the season, 40.4 percent on 3s. GU is actually shooting a touch worse in WCC games (48.8 and 39.8, respectively).

—GU has outscored opponents by 262 points in the first half, by 80 in the second. In WCC play, the Zags have outscored foes by 131 in the first half, by 47 in the second.

gamagin
02-16-2014, 11:59 AM
+1

Here is Meehan's Day After post which is always filled with lots of extra stuff that don't make it into his article. LINK (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/feb/16/day-after-loyola-marymount/)

last sentence is telling, imo. some of these players have been banging heads for four years. There are few, if any, secrets or tricks. There are lots of efforts made to take the other guys out of their games. Thus the dogpiles on PK, getting in KP's face, sagging on DS -- anything to take us out of our game or limit opportunities.

A constant process of elimination. Makes the games, as has been noted by Few for a long, long time, very difficult to knock a WCC opponent off 2-3-4 times a year.

Zag 77
02-16-2014, 03:35 PM
He might get more playing time if he could do something besides force a shot at the rim and get a Voit Burger back in his face. After all these years, why can't he shoot from more than 3 inches from the basket?

ZagsZombieNation
02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Karnowski has averaged 32.5 minutes per game over the last 4 games. Never thought that he would be able to do that at the beginning of the season.

Zagdawg
02-16-2014, 06:58 PM
I agree--his conditioning has been steadily improving--- by dance time he should be pretty solid.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2014, 07:14 AM
He might get more playing time if he could do something besides force a shot at the rim and get a Voit Burger back in his face. After all these years, why can't he shoot from more than 3 inches from the basket?

I'm guessing because he never had to until he reached the higher level of competition. Tim Tebow syndrome. I have asked my self why nobody taught him the fundamentals of throwing, and it probably was because whatever he was doing was working up to that point.

If Coleman could shoot he'd be an All American and likely wouldn't be here. We can cross our fingers and hope he puts up a bunch of shots and something clicks this off season :)

gonzagafan62
02-17-2014, 10:25 AM
I had a few tars of joy when Brian Bhskar hit that three