PDA

View Full Version : SMC v. BYU 5:00 - ESPN2 - and Other games 2/15

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Big Game - BYU at SMC @ 5:00 on ESPN2.

With BYU beaten by Pacific (BYU sucks b/c the WCC pulls them down, especially little gyms - seriously, ask them, still at it on Coug board), I think if they beat SMC and we win against LMU, we assure a tie for first?

I actually think BYU will win this - I think they're a better team and I think they'll be super pissed about Pacific.

If someone else is aware of other games, feel free to post them.

Oh - USF @ SCU late

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 07:41 AM
I think SMC will hold serve on their home court. They have the retirement of Delly's number tonight to add fuel to the fire also. BYU bigs are foul prone, their team can't play a lick of defense, and UOP out-worked 'em on the hustle plays, something the Gaels are accustomed to.

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Memphis 14 UConn 22.

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 09:21 AM
I know....life isn't fair and it does no good to complain about bad calls.....but....why didn't Arizona State get a technical or two for the rim hanging and court storming last nigh ?

Great game, but I will feel better about the outcome if I know Arizona didn't get screwed. Anyone know ?

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 09:33 AM
I know....life isn't fair and it does no good to complain about bad calls.....but....why didn't Arizona State get a technical or two for the rim hanging and court storming last nigh ?

Great game, but I will feel better about the outcome if I know Arizona didn't get screwed. Anyone know ?

Refs said that they stopped play after the dunk, so the court storming was not a problem

What I don't get is why Jahii Carson didn't just run around longer to waste the rest of the clock off instead of dunking so that noone would be questioning it like this. Arizona State would have still won by 1 if he would have ran out the clock instead

hooter73
02-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Watching #25 Pitt vs unranked NC

We wouldnt match up against either of these teams.

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Refs said that they stopped play after the dunk, so the court storming was not a problem

What I don't get is why Jahii Carson didn't just run around longer to waste the rest of the clock off instead of dunking so that noone would be questioning it like this. Arizona State would have still won by 1 if he would have ran out the clock instead

Well, I am sure he knows he made a bone head play ...but that is not the issue on the technical ...the play might have been stopped, (what ever that means), but the game was not over.

Maybe the Conference will offer a explanation...or even admit the officials made a mistake if that is the case.

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Memphis down 1 @ UConn 66-65 with 3:20 left

Memphis has 16 turnovers

ZagSports
02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Tagging on to that ASU-UA game last night... I didn't want to see a technical given because you hate to see a game ending in that fashion

HOWEVER, I do agree 3 separate T's could have been given out at the end of that game (1 - Hanging on the rim 2 - Bench rushing the floor 3 - Students rushing the floor). If you watch the end of the game again the timer correctly stopped the clock at 0.5 secs (later i think .1 or .2 was added), so the lights never came on the backboard, the horn never sounded. The bench had rushed the floor really before the player had even dunked the ball. Like I said I'm glad the refs didn't give any T's, but I think they really messed that one up and ASU is lucky in more than one way

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Memphis & UConn tied 69 all with UConn with the chance at the last shot. 16 sec left

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 10:05 AM
And UConn shoots a 3... the ball goes halfway down the hoop, but comes out

OVERTIME

sittingon50
02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Memphis falls @ Uconn in OT

DixieZag
Looks like Memphis is going to drop this one. True road game, though.

I'm not that impressed with either of these teams. I can't believe we lost to them.

I like UCONN's coach. He's probably not quite as dirty as Calhoun was so they might never be final 4 again. They might hurt the most from the big east being disbanded.

exclusivelee
Memphis loses by 5

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 10:29 AM
VCU up early by 6 over St. Louis.

By the way - - in case anyone else didn't know this, I had to look it up. Usually I just ask if anyone knows. Apparently I can't remember that I have a google also. from wiki

The Billiken was a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream.[1] In 1908, she obtained a design patent on the ornamental design of the Billiken,[2] who was elephant-like with pointed ears, a mischievous smile and a tuft of hair on his pointed head. His arms were short and he was generally sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him. To buy a Billiken was said to give the purchaser luck, but to have one given would be better luck.[3] The image was copyrighted and a trademark was put on the name. After a few years of popularity, like other fad toys, the Billiken faded into obscurity. The Billiken should not be confused with baby-like Kewpie figures that debuted in the December 1909 Ladies' Home Journal.

Oregonzagnut
02-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Ouch. We need all our opponents to win out. Except the ones we still have to play of course.

ZaGranny
02-15-2014, 10:50 AM
My association with the Billiken came from the ivory ones made by the Eskimos in Alaska when I was growing up.

Here is the story by one of Alaskan's art historians.

http://www.churchofgoodluck.com/Billiken_Lore.html

Billiken Lore
by Dorothy Jean Ray

Foreword

When I moved to Nome, Alaska in 1945 I became interested in a strange little ivory object called a billiken, which was sold by the hundreds—if not thousands—in the stores, or directly from the ivory carvers themselves. My curiosity as to their origin and history led to nothing. All that I learned—even from the old-timers—was that "it was something that the Eskimos always made."

By the time that I had returned to Alaska for research in the ethnohistory and art of the Bering Strait Eskimos, I had discovered its origin, and although the billiken played only a tiny part of my research, I came to two important conclusions:
that it was an object that the carvers hated most to carve,
and that it was an important part of the Eskimo economy.

Robert Henning, publisher of the Alaska Sportsman, and collector of Native Alaskan crafts, and whose magazine featured many articles with subjects other than "sportsman," suggested that I write what I had learned about the billiken for the magazine. I did, and that article appeared in the September 1960 issue.

That article created a new interest in the billiken, and over the years people sent me further information, and even billiken objects themselves. It had ballooned to the point where, by 1973, Henning, also publisher of the new Alaska Journal, and Robert N. DeArmond, its editor, suggested that I bring the billiken story up to date in the new journal. That greatly expanded version—the one included here—was published in the Winter 1974 issue.

Since then I have acquired more examples of the billiken journey, but they add only to "more of the same." A few are still made of ivory, but the valuable walrus ivory is now put to a better use, and in 2005 there are more career options for the carvers.

The Billiken

(Originally published in The Alaska Journal, Winter 1974)

Along with the horseshoe, the rabbit's foot, and the four-leaf clover, the billiken is one of America's favorite good-luck pieces. Those who think it is only an Alaskan souvenir made by Eskimo carvers will be surprised to learn that it originated in Kansas City, Missouri—not Alaska—and that it is still being made in media other than ivory elsewhere in the world.

On October 6, 1908, Florence Pretz, an art teacher and illustrator, was given a seven-year patent for her "design for an image," but the name "billiken" is not mentioned. Despite numerous inquiries, I have been unable to learn what it means or who named it. Possibly Miss Pretz left the naming up to the principal manufacturers of billiken objects, The Craftsman's Guild and The Billiken Company of Chicago, and the Billiken Sales Co., the latter's "Eastern Representative", all of whom used the date and patent number of Miss Pretz's invention on their objects.

I saw my first billiken in Nome in 1945, but no one could tell me its history or origin ("It's something the Eskimos always made," was a common remark) until 10 years later when my field work in contemporary ivory carving introduced me to Big Mike Kazingnuk, a Little Diomede Island man. Big Mike told me that his brother-in-law, Happy Jack, or Angokwazhuk, the famous ivory carver of Nome's early days, had made the first ivory billiken in 1909 at the suggestion of a merchant who was called Kopturok ("Big Head") by the Eskimos.

Happy Jack had copied it from a figurine brought from "the States" that summer. This information clearly established the fact that the billiken was not a traditional Eskimo object, but there remained the mystery of its origin.

More at the link of an interesting story.

ZaGranny

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Of your many great posts - that might be one of my favs ZG, lots of good stuff in there.

Bob Knight may be a little difficult to listen to as an analyst, but I always learn a lot listening to him.

webspinnre
02-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Tagging on to that ASU-UA game last night... I didn't want to see a technical given because you hate to see a game ending in that fashion

I hate the "game ending in that fashion" argument. If it's a T, it's a T, no matter when it happens, particularly the hanging on the rim, which was egregious. UA should've had 2 shots and the ball with 1.7 left (which is I think what it ended up as). I wasn't rooting for UA, but think they got hosed.

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Oklahoma 60
OSU 57

5:46 left

Should be a great finish.

Zagdawg
02-15-2014, 12:04 PM
GU Women against BYU starting on Directv channel #374 BYUTV--starting now

Zippyzaggy
02-15-2014, 12:16 PM
VCU up early by 6 over St. Louis.

The Billiken was a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream.[1] In 1908, she obtained a design patent on the ornamental design of the Billiken,[2] who was elephant-like with pointed ears, a mischievous smile and a tuft of hair on his pointed head. His arms were short and he was generally sitting with his legs stretched out in front of him. To buy a Billiken was said to give the purchaser luck, but to have one given would be better luck.

*Very interesting stuff. I see the good "luck" part seems to have held up for one of these spoof Billiken salt and pepper shakers,lol
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/A~sAAOxyUrZS5CdT/$_57.JPG?rt=nc

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I looked it up because I had no idea what exactly a "Billiken" was - - I expected to see a picture of some land based bird.

Cool pictures. I think that's one of the cooler mascots in the country.

Indiana tied with Purdue with 4 to play in first half.

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Nice win for Arkansas over LSU.

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 05:01 PM
SMC 35
BYU 25

Halftime

Mika has 3 fouls in 5 min of play

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Baylor's Brady Heslip hit a 3 at the buzzer, forced overtime at home vs Kansas State

Mantua
02-15-2014, 05:20 PM
BYU down 10 at the half.

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 05:31 PM
SMC 44
BYU 34

14:20 left

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 05:43 PM
SMC 46
BYU 43

10:00 left

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
SMC 52
BYU 47

5:58 left

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 06:11 PM
BYU 56
SMC 55

33 sec left

SMC Ball

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
carter with back to back turnovers

caduceus
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
SMC had 4 turnovers in last 4 mins.

BYU 56
SMC 55

BYU at the line.

5.1 secs left.

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 06:17 PM
BYU 58
SMC 55

5 sec left

SMC Ball

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 06:18 PM
BYU fouls up 3

caduceus
02-15-2014, 06:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bbg8Sc8.gif

Tonight's a good night.

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I think SMC will hold serve on their home court. They have the retirement of Delly's number tonight to add fuel to the fire also. BYU bigs are foul prone, their team can't play a lick of defense, and UOP out-worked 'em on the hustle plays, something the Gaels are accustomed to.

wrong again

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
BYU wins by 3 @ St Mary's 60-57

Gonzaga now with a 4 game lead on the WCC

DixieZag
02-15-2014, 06:29 PM
BYU wins by 3 @ St Mary's 60-57

Gonzaga now with a 4 game lead on the WCC

I believe we just ensured a co-championship at worst. Kind of nice with 4 games to play to tuck that in.

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I believe we just ensured a co-championship at worst. Kind of nice with 4 games to play to tuck that in.

Yep, magic number is 1. ( quick note, this has nothing to do with my Magic-8 Ball) :)

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
wrong again

That was amazing...now I know Randy is a very good coach but I do not understand why they went away from Waldo ? Are they that bad ??? That was a really poor effort, Holt didn't provide any leadership at all... Delly must be disgusted...

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 06:42 PM
wrong again

Is it ok if I say that I'm glad you were wrong? Magic # is 1

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Heavyweight fight on ESPN, Kentucky 53 Florida 55. 5 minutes to go.

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 06:51 PM
That was amazing...now I know Randy is a very good coach but I do not understand why they went away from Waldo ? Are they that bad ??? That was a really poor effort, Holt didn't provide any leadership at all... Delly must be disgusted...

Gaels have been a head scratcher all season long. Credit to BYU for getting a tough win on the road.

Vegas is going to be a combat zone and Zags will be in the crosshairs. Only way any other WCC team gets in the Big Dance is to win Vegas.

northsidezagfan
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Gaels have been a head scratcher all season long.

To be honest I think they just aren't very good.

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Gaels have been a head scratcher all season long. Credit to BYU for getting a tough win on the road.

Vegas is going to be a combat zone and Zags will be in the crosshairs. Only way any other WCC team gets in the Big Dance is to win Vegas.

You bet...I will give them credit...but in crunch time Carter turned the ball over about 3 times and Holt was no where to be seen...in the second half they appeared to just pass the ball around the perimeter .....and made no real attempt to foul out Mica or Austin....I will be very disappointed if Gonzaga doesn't beat them in Moraga..

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 07:26 PM
USF: 16
SCU: 17

10:00 to play. Lots of empty seats @ Leavy tonight

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Grier/SD 58 to 38 over Pacific with about 11 to go...

RenoZag
02-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Grier/SD 58 to 38 over Pacific with about 11 to go...

That magic Pixie Dust must have worn off of the Tigers after the post-BYU win court storming by the Tigers faithful

Baseline
02-15-2014, 07:46 PM
SMC lost the game, BYU did not win it.
SMC got conservative and quit what was working.

CdAZagFan
02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I was one of those very high on BYU after watching them in their OOC schedule. But to be honest, after catching a good chunk of the BYU/SMC game (along with some of their other WCC games) they really suck on defense. Both SMC and BYU can just look horrible at times. That being said, if either of these teams gets streaky hot they can be a handful in the WCC tourney.

bartruff1
02-15-2014, 08:21 PM
That magic Pixie Dust must have worn off of the Tigers after the post-BYU win court storming by the Tigers faithful

I have to be careful or I am going to start thinking that there is Gonzaga and then, everybody else.... I suppose this road trip will establish my normal amount of worry.

Zagsker
02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Gaels have been a head scratcher all season long...

No they haven't...they are a mediocre team

ZagaZags
02-15-2014, 09:00 PM
USF defeats Santa Clara

exclusivelee
02-15-2014, 09:05 PM
San Francisco wins by 6 @ Santa Clara 69-63

San Fran is 9-0 vs the bottom 6 WCC teams... but
0-5 vs the top 3 (GU, BYU, St Mary's)

Zagsker
02-15-2014, 09:20 PM
And seriously...Waldow, you look like a goober with that mouthpiece

kyle dixon
02-15-2014, 09:21 PM
He must work out

Zagsker
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
He must work out

Bench presses while watching Twilight

Zags11
02-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Yep, magic number is 1. ( quick note, this has nothing to do with my Magic-8 Ball) :)

So if we share and combine our magic 8balls....do we have a 16 ball to over power committee to seed us in Spokane?

Zagsker
02-15-2014, 10:32 PM
So if we share and combine our magic 8balls....

Literally typed and deleted 11 responses to this

Zags11
02-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Lol...wow. hey!!!! Lol

RenoZag
02-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Randy Bennett: We choked a little bit (http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/St-Mary-s-blows-14-point-lead-falls-to-BYU-5239367.php)

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2014, 06:04 AM
No they haven't...they are a mediocre team

The head scratching part is that they have the pieces that make it like they should be good*
-goofy mouthpiece
-guy with shoulder tape
-angry looking coach
-an Australian*
-annoying fan base** (Dirt Mcgirt excluded; where have you been by the way?)
-a gym with hoops and a floor and everything

I did actual expect them to better. Can you image if GU was 4 games back at this point of the season? Yikes. I'd have to start hanging out on the Dons or Byu board.

*at least someone who looks Australian. Someone from New Zealand is also acceptable.
**To any SMC fans: this is just a joke

Zagdawg
02-16-2014, 06:41 AM
I guess Mika gave the St Marys bench the choke sign on the way out---- upset a few St Marys fans.

kyle dixon
02-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Tough player to replace. St Mary's never recovered this year. Mika's choke sign is similar to the type of crap Samhan pulled so I have little sympathy for their fan base.

bartruff1
02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
I guess Mika gave the St Marys bench the choke sign on the way out---- upset a few St Marys fans.

Having watched them, and him this year, assuming it is true, that doesn't surprise me. He is very immature and what goes around may come around when you have very important games yet to play this season.....and perhaps three more years in the league....hopefully his mission will help him grow up.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-16-2014, 08:13 AM

I'd say given the season BYU has had he had no right to do such a thing.

Zags11
02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Byu is the step daughter who others believe is head of class, but.......we find out later they cheat on their exams.

St. Mary's is just....eh to me. I don't care for either team. Byu are step daughters, and gaels are that annoying neighbor who competes to make his lawn better then yours but just can't.

Rangerzag
02-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Saw that. That is what he was up to when everyone else was lining up for a sportsmanship handshake.

bartruff1
02-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Tough player to replace. St Mary's never recovered this year. Mika's choke sign is similar to the type of crap Samhan pulled so I have little sympathy for their fan base.

Yes but Mika has none of Omar's charm and wit....

Angelo Roncalli
02-16-2014, 08:50 AM
The head scratching part is that they have the pieces that make it like they should be good*
-goofy mouthpiece
-guy with shoulder tape
-angry looking coach
-an Australian*
-annoying fan base** (Dirt Mcgirt excluded; where have you been by the way?)
-a gym with hoops and a floor and everything

You left out

-guy who plays in pantyhose

http://binaryapi.ap.org/64a575b7850f4ed49d9c280599c7cf26/460x.jpg

DixieZag
02-16-2014, 09:00 AM
I saw Mika and his "choke" thing - and it was intended for the fans/SMC, not even trying to hide it.

I suppose it says it all when I saw that I'm not surprised.

I don't care a whole lot for either team, really lost respect for Randy, but I'll take ten SMC's before BYU any day.

northsidezagfan
02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't care a whole lot for either team, really lost respect for Randy, but I'll take ten SMC's before BYU any day.

Me too.

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2014, 10:15 AM
You left out

-guy who plays in pantyhose

http://binaryapi.ap.org/64a575b7850f4ed49d9c280599c7cf26/460x.jpg

Good call :]

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-16-2014, 10:30 AM
The Gaels' performance on the season has solidified Delly's greatness in my mind. His former supporting cast looked good when he was running the team and look really lost without him.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-16-2014, 02:27 PM

That's an immature move and one that might come back to haunt them. In all likelihood, BYU's road to the NCAA Tournament will go through the Gaels. If those two teams wind up as the 2/3 seeds in Vegas, they will probably see each other on their way to the league championship. The freshman just gave Holt, Waldow, and Co. some great bulletin board material.

ZagaZags
02-16-2014, 05:32 PM
So if we share and combine our magic 8balls....do we have a 16 ball to over power committee to seed us in Spokane?

Magic 8-Ball says outlook not so good.:)