PDA

View Full Version : Zags Magic Number to clinch WCC title?

zagzilla
02-14-2014, 01:06 PM
With BYU dropping another game last night and the SMC/BYU game Saturday, it got me thinking about what the magic number is for the Zags to clinch the WCC regular season title.

At this point, I am hoping for BYU to get it together and deal SMC their 5th conference loss. That would put is a full 4 games up on Gaels with 5 to play. What are the tie breakers with SMC and BYU since we have beaten them already and the best they can do is split with us?

If we wind up tied, what is the tie breaker? We "shared" the regular season title with SMC a couple of years back, but I don't recall who got the #1 seed in the conf tourney or why.

I had expected those last 4 road games to be more meaningful in determining whether we would win the WCC and top seed for the conf tourney when that goofy schedule was released. I'll bet the WCC was hoping that would create more drama too.

Seems like the magic number is 3 for outright title and 2 for a tie. Any combination of 2 or 3 GU wins and SMC losses gives us the title, right?

ZZ

exclusivelee
02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
If we wind up tied, what is the tie breaker? We "shared" the regular season title with SMC a couple of years back, but I don't recall who got the #1 seed in the conf tourney or why.

Saint Mary's received the #1 seed in the 2011 WCC Tournament when Gonzaga & Saint Mary's finished the WCC schedule with identical conference records (11-3)

1st Tiebreaker: head-to-head record (Zags & Gaels split the series 1-1)

2nd Tiebreaker: common record against the next best conference team (San Francisco)... Zags went 1-1 vs USF, but Gaels went 2-0 vs USF, so Saint Mary's won the tiebreaker, claiming the #1 seed

Ekrub
02-14-2014, 03:30 PM
I'd be feeling better about the tourney if SMC or BYU was worth anything this year. Rooting for SMC as they will be a decent win when we play them again.

BULLDOG#1
02-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Though they've played like garbage at times this year, I am way more concerned about BYU than Saint Mary's. I think both are underperforming this year, but the cougs have the offensive firepower to stay with anyone in the country.

I really hope the zags win out and send a message for the wcc tourney. If the zags lose in provo and in moraga and don't win the wcc tourney, then they are firmly on the bubble.

Dower and Karnowski must play great the rest of the way; i see them as the key.

former1dog
02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
The magic number is 3 wins. Or, 2 wins and 1 loss by SMC.