PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Rankings 2008

cggonzaga
08-30-2007, 08:28 AM
81 Rotnei Clarke

Clarke is a point guard who can really shoot the ball. He doesn't have a ton of athleticism but has a terrific basketball IQ. He has a tendency to drive too much rather than settling for pull-up jumpers and floaters. His major weakness now is on the defensive end which he needs to improve to be a factor at the high-major level.

#134 Demetri Goodson

Goodson is a high major point guard. Although a bit small, he is very quick and athletic. Demetri is a true leader, and has the proper mentality to play the point and run a team. He can really push the ball down the court and he gets wherever he wants with it. He gets into the paint at will and can get it to the rim with his athleticism and explosion. In addition Goodson has great vision and is a very good passer. He can also score but he may need to improve his perimeter jumper and extend his range out to the 3-point line so defenders can not back off him at all.

#140 Grant Gibbs

This kid is going to Gonzaga and many people feel he is a perfect fit for Mark Few and the Zags. Gibbs is a combo guard from Iowa . He is a not an overly athletic kid but he is highly skilled player who knows how to play. Grant may be a little bit more of a point guard than a 2 guard. He has very good ballhandling and passing skills. He has excellent court vision, sees the floor and makes good decisions. In addition Gibbs is a knock down shooter. He can really stroke the ball from deep and make shots. Although Gibbs may have a little problem guarding the jet point guards in college he has the perfect resume for Few. He is skilled, can shoot, has a high basketball IQ and is a team oriented player. He is an excellent pick up for Gonzaga.

#149 Andy Poling

Poling was one of the more impressive post prospects in the country after his freshmen year. However, since then, he has slowly developed both physically and fundamentally. What has hurt Poling the most is his physical development -- he is only slightly stronger than what he was as a freshmen. As a result, he gets pushed around by most bigs in the paint area. In a recent event (Kingwood Classic), things appear to be changing for the better. Poling has added some weight, gained some strength and his fundamentals are gradually getting better as well. He possesses a lanky frame with long arms and terrific hands -- catches everything. He has solid footwork, though mechanical, in the post and has a nice looking turnaround jumper, using the glass well. Poling can step out and hit the 15 footer with consistency, but his shot and release (slow) point are a bit flat. He can run the floor on the break, but he is far from an elite athlete at this point. Overall, Poling plays hard at both ends and has the desire to do the right things, but his body development needs to catch up to the mental aspects of the game, which he has appeared to grasp quite nicely thus far. In order for Poling to make an impact at Gonzaga (verbal commit) in the coming years, he is probably going to need a red-shirt year to develop more physically

spudzag
08-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Good find, thanks. I'm a bit surprised that Meech is ahead of Gibbs, but that may prove to be a good thing for us.

Maybe the call will be filled out a couple of weeks from now.

cggonzaga
08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
From a previous post, Grant Gibbs is one of their "sleepers". I think people didn't see him until late in the process. Meech has really blown up over the summer. He would've been higher if scouts would've known about him before then. With the addition of Meech or Clarke, this could be another top 20 class. Probably top 10 if Poling wouldn't have been sick. This is turning out to be a very underestimated class but a very good one for us.

ZagNative
08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Good stuff! Thanks for ferreting that out.

wazZag
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I think the best news is that Poling is putting on weight and not getting pushed around as much. If his hands and footwork are as good as people have said, he could be a strong contributor down the road.

cbbfanatic
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
From a previous post, Grant Gibbs is one of their "sleepers". I think people didn't see him until late in the process. Meech has really blown up over the summer. He would've been higher if scouts would've known about him before then. With the addition of Meech or Clarke, this could be another top 20 class. Probably top 10 if Poling wouldn't have been sick. This is turning out to be a very underestimated class but a very good one for us.

so with three high 3/low 4 star guys you expect to have a top 10-20 class?

sorry, thats not even close.

or do you expect all 3 of these guys to jump about 50 spots in the rankings?

cggonzaga
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
No actually I don't but apparently ESPN does. They named the top 13 classes and we were given honorable mention with about 15 other schools. Considering that's with only 2 commits right now, I'd imagine they'd put us in their top 20. I then suggested if Mr. Poling had been the same healthy player he was coming out of his freshman year (top 25 on Rivals), his ranking would've been much much higher thus elevating our team ranking possibly into the top 10.

cbbfanatic
08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
No actually I don't but apparently ESPN does. They named the top 13 classes and we were given honorable mention with about 15 other schools. Considering that's with only 2 commits right now, I'd imagine they'd put us in their top 20. I then suggested if Mr. Poling had been the same healthy player he was coming out of his freshman year (top 25 on Rivals), his ranking would've been much much higher thus elevating our team ranking possibly into the top 10.

keep in mind, some solid programs havent gotten any verbals from 08 kids yet that certainly will. take duke for example, if they get ONE of greg monroe or elliot williams, they would probably be ahead of GU.

also, a high rated uncommitted kid like tyreke evans could put his school of choice in the top 20.

lot of uncommitted kids on the board. if GU's class ends at three borderline 3/4 star kids, there is no REALISTIC way it is a top 20 class... in the eyes of the guys that rank em anyway. look at the top 20 classes for 07 and find one with 3 guys all rated 80+ being in the top 20. go back to 06 and 05 too if you want, i bet you dont find a class like that ranked anywhere in the top 20

229SintoZag
08-30-2007, 11:25 PM
keep in mind, some solid programs havent gotten any verbals from 08 kids yet that certainly will. take duke for example, if they get ONE of greg monroe or elliot williams, they would probably be ahead of GU.

also, a high rated uncommitted kid like tyreke evans could put his school of choice in the top 20.

lot of uncommitted kids on the board. if GU's class ends at three borderline 3/4 star kids, there is no REALISTIC way it is a top 20 class... in the eyes of the guys that rank em anyway. look at the top 20 classes for 07 and find one with 3 guys all rated 80+ being in the top 20. go back to 06 and 05 too if you want, i bet you dont find a class like that ranked anywhere in the top 20

Someone remind me again--where was Adam Morrison ranked prior to his senior year in high school by all these "rankings" gurus?

You remember him--the 1st Team All American who led D-1 in scoring, set career scoring records at GU, and went #3 in the draft.

cbbfanatic
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Someone remind me again--where was Adam Morrison ranked prior to his senior year in high school by all these "rankings" gurus?

You remember him--the 1st Team All American who led D-1 in scoring, set career scoring records at GU, and went #3 in the draft.

ANOMALY

i'd take a 5 star kid over an unproven unranked unheard of guy that plays in a league that is competition weak any day of the week, and so would you. yeah, those diamonds in the rough happen, but theyre not the norm.

that said, i dont think GSL kids with that talent will slide that far below the radar in the future.

BUT, i dont want to get too far sidetracked... my original point is that 3 borderline 3/4 star guys in no way composes a top 20 class when all is said and done, according to scouting rankings, which i am not saying are perfect.

cggonzaga
08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Scout.com 2007 rankings

#18 South Carolina - 2 four star, 1 3 star, 5 commits total

Obviously the other two commits don't calculate into the rankings. Sure looks like what our class is going to be for 2008. ;)

cbbfanatic
08-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Scout.com 2007 rankings

#18 South Carolina - 2 four star, 1 3 star, 5 commits total

Obviously the other two commits don't calculate into the rankings. Sure looks like what our class is going to be for 2008. ;)

nice find. quantity could be helping them here, that they have a 5 man class. one of the two 4 star guys, btw, is rated significantly higher than i would expect gibbs or clarke to be ranked. maybe even both when all is said and done. not all 4 stars are created equal.

nonetheless, you have a point, i am surprised to see this class ranked where it is, especially being ahead of villanova, pitt, and depaul.

sonuvazag
08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
espn did list gibbs and clarke in their top ten sleepers in the 2008 class. i still hope we get clarke.

Nevtelen
08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
espn did list gibbs and clarke in their top ten sleepers in the 2008 class. i still hope we get clarke.

Though how you can call Clarke a sleeper with the million and a half college who are recruiting him...

No matter what the "stars" are on the 2008 class, I think we'll end up with a pretty good group. It might not be as good as this year's class, but I could see Gibbs and Poling and either Clarke or Goodson making a definite impact while at GU. At the end of the day, that's what matters.

sonuvazag
08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Though how you can call Clarke a sleeper with the million and a half college who are recruiting him...

No matter what the "stars" are on the 2008 class, I think we'll end up with a pretty good group. It might not be as good as this year's class, but I could see Gibbs and Poling and either Clarke or Goodson making a definite impact while at GU. At the end of the day, that's what matters.

Exactly. We'll get the guys who are right for GU.