PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pepperdine II....share your thoughts

Reborn
02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Wow! Now that was an awesome game to me. I like seeing the outside shooting for sure. It was great to see Kevin back in shooting form, and even making a couple of shots after driving to the basket. Most happy about Gary Bell being more aggressive on offense. That looked like a really good team out there tonight. Pk had a bad start, but he got it going the second half. He looked so good that second half and even got down on the floor. Now that WAS AWESOME!!!

Dranginis is such a strong rebounder. I love how he rebounds. Few needs to remember that. He forgot it in Memphis.

I had a hunch that Pepperdine would give the Zags a good game. They can really shoot the basketball and Davis was much better against the Zags tonight then he was the first time they played the Zags. They just never gave up and fought the Zags to the end. And that's exactly what the Zags need the rest of the year.

Can't say enough about David Stockton. He played one of his best games this year. Nice to see him being aggressive. He plays so well when he does. He was just all over the place tonight.

Feel the same about PK. He started slow but played great the second half. I saw the fire in him tonight. Loved it!!!! Pepperdine did a good job of double and tripple-teaming him, but because the Zags hit so many threes they had to stop and then PK took over. Very impressive. It was good to see the Zags have a good second half. First one I've sween in awhile. Few did a great job of getting them fired up at halftime I think.

The Kennel sounded loud on TV. One more home game this year.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
02-13-2014, 08:28 PM
David and Shem were beautiful. Awesome. David playing with borrowed time. I applaud the whole team as well. What a bounce back game. Congratulations all around.

Baseline
02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
The way this team played, it could play with any team in the country and represent themselves well. Close to having all cylinders firing properly.
The only negative is there just isn't enough minutes to go around. Good players are not getting the proper playing to.

Zagsker
02-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Good win...would be nice if the home shooting would go on the road with us

hooter73
02-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Like every GU team for the past ten plus years, if they played like this every game, we would be celebrating and defending big NCAA runs. Home is always in our favor.

If Dower and Karno are finally figuring out the high-low... look out cause you know Wiltjer and Karno will be lethal.

caduceus
02-13-2014, 11:13 PM
On Court
Off Court
Player MIN RR +/- + - +/- + -
K. Pangos 34 -3 6 65 -59 9 18 -9 G. Bell 31 -5 5 59 -54 10 24 -14 D. Stockton 34 21 18 72 -54 -3 11 -14 P. Karnowski 32 7 11 64 -53 4 19 -15 S. Dower 28 15 15 61 -46 0 22 -22 G. Coleman 9 -11 2 20 -18 13 63 -50 A. Nunez 5 -7 4 9 -5 11 74 -63 K. Dranginis 12 13 14 33 -19 1 50 -49

+ = Team points scored while on court
- = Opponent points allowed while on court
+/- = Team points scored minus Opp points allowed
Off Court = Team points scored/allowed while off court
RR (Roland Rating) = On Court +/- minus Off Court +/-

Sorry I don't have Barham. His player stints aren't listed in the stats, unfortunately. Sam Stocktowskiginis helped the team the most tonight.

P.S. Stockton's line -- wow. Dower too.

MDABE80
02-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Pepperdine's lousy.

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Pepperdine's lousy.

True 100% but I like the direction Pepperdine is going.

MTZag03
02-14-2014, 04:40 AM
I liked seeing Coleman show some control by beating his man off the dribble and then passing once help defense arrived. He seemed way more under control, although I did only start watching from 5 minutes to go in the 1st. Stocks had a masterpiece game, and PK was a beast the 2nd half. I love that he blocked a 3.

Birddog
02-14-2014, 05:06 AM
Nunez desperation scoop shot was the highlight, but only a little ahead of Coleman's assist to Shem.

DixieZag
02-14-2014, 05:08 AM
It was great to see them bounce back in all phases of the game.

A little bittersweet b/c I think this team is playing so in its own head right now. Their comfort zone is clearly playing WCC teams with poise and smarts. I get that Memphis and K State have a better talent level than most WCC teams but I'm talking how we look mentally and execute. Well, plus shooting it at home.

Really like the way Kevin played. I see more movement that looked like pre-toe Kevin, some floaters, good outside shooting, man that bodes huge for late season if the toe starts to heal. That's the biggest takeaway I have, Kevin looked far more mobile. Shem's getting better.

kitzbuel
02-14-2014, 05:20 AM
This team is designed around PK and Sam. With few exceptions, When one of those two are the player of the game, GU has looked very good.

Last night, when Shem was not getting good feeds and looks, Pepp climbed right back in. When Shem started forcing the play inside, everything else fell into place. We started getting rebounds, and 1s, three pointers.

DS, KP, and GBJ should do their utmost to make PK and Sam the best players on the floor.

bartruff1
02-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Pep much improved, will be a threat in Vegas..... want to see more defense from Gonzaga , one more scrimmage then comes the road trip... Pacific will be ready and so will the others..

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 06:11 AM
I may be going crazy here but I think this years run with THIS team will dictate on how well David Stockton and Sam Dower play in the tourney. Because when they want something, they want it bad. They cannot stand losing.

DS and SD, played great last night, particularly David.

bigblahla
02-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Pepperdine's lousy.

Looks like the best Pepperdine TEAM in years to me Doc. Wilson has brought in some players and as they get better as a TEAM they will be tougher to beat. I really like some of their talent.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

VinnyZag
02-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Nunez desperation scoop shot was the highlight, but only a little ahead of Coleman's assist to Shem.

Coleman's pass was a smart play. Nunez's shot shouldn't have gone up, but he got lucky. I'll take the drive and dish.

MTZag03
02-14-2014, 07:01 AM
How about the play with PK diving on the floor and dishing to DS for a desperation 3 only the have it inappropriately waved off? I loved PK's hustle there. I'm loving this TEAM.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
How about the play with PK diving on the floor and dishing to DS for a desperation 3 only the have it inappropriately waved off? I loved PK's hustle there. I'm loving this TEAM.

+1. I think Karma is going to start turning Zags way.

Reborn
02-14-2014, 07:07 AM
+1. I think Karma is going to start turning Zags way.

Great play by both Pk and david. PK's hustle, plus David's awareness to get the shot off before the buzzer. It was one fantastic play, that the refs failed to recognize because of their laziness to get the play right. I have rarely seen a player PK's size dive for a lose ball the way PK did. It was a thing of beauty in a different kind of way. It shows the heart of this team.

I was also very pleased to see how much better Gary Bell played. He was really in an attacking mode. It was like he told himself, "Ok people! You want to see me attacking? Here! Take a look!" He was really dribbling the ball up court super fast. At times I thought he looked like the Road Runner. Beep Beep!

Reborn
02-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Pepperdine's lousy.

Interesting point of view. I'm wondering what you base your opinion on?
Personally I like good shooting, and ball movement over watching players who can't shoot so rely on playing a very physical defensive game, and walking through their offense to keep the score low.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Great play by both Pk and david. PK's hustle, plus David's awareness to get the shot off before the buzzer. It was one fantastic play, that the refs failed to recognize because of their laziness to get the play right. I have rarely seen a player PK's size dive for a lose ball the way PK did. It was a thing of beauty in a different kind of way. It shows the heart of this team.

I was also very pleased to see how much better Gary Bell played. He was really in an attacking mode. It was like he told himself, "Ok people! You want to see me attacking? Here! Take a look!" He was really dribbling the ball up court super fast. At times I thought he looked like the Road Runner. Beep Beep!

Haha, the house on my roof would've gone bye bye if that Dunk attempt by Bell went in.

MTZag03
02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Haha, the house on my roof would've gone bye bye if that Dunk attempt by Bell went in.

You know Bell won't hear the end of it from the rim check for a few days. :)

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
You know Bell won't hear the end of it from the rim check for a few days. :)

The beauty of sports. Ah! Refreshing.