PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Recruiting Classes

Otto's Zags
08-30-2007, 04:10 AM
UCLA boasts top 2008 class so far

By Bob Gibbons
Scouts Inc.
August 29, 2007

Although more than two months remain until the fall signing period for college basketball, 38 of the top 50 and 65 of the top 100 Class of 2008 prospects have already made verbal commitments.

These rankings will certainly change as players continue to choose their future colleges.

1. UCLA
The Bruins now have four recruits rated in our top 35, led by 6-4 SG Jrue Holiday (North Hollywood, Calif.). Even with 6-9 C/F Drew Gordon (San Jose, Calif.) already onboard, coach Ben Howland is looking to add another big man.

2. Arizona
Coach Lute Olson is off to a great start with four top-100 newcomers, including the nation's No. 1 player in 2008, 6-1 PG Brandon Jennings. Also, 6-7PF Emmanuel Negedu (Wolfeboro, N.H.) is a beast of a player at No. 13 overall.

3. Ohio State
Coach Thad Matta continues his masterful recruiting. The most promising prospects in this class are 6-5 SG William Buford (Toledo, Ohio), who ranks No. 8 overall, and 7-1 C B.J. Mullens (Canal Winchester, Ohio), an imposing big man who is at No. 12.

4. Wake Forest
A part of the lasting legacy of the late Skip Prosser is his outstanding early recruiting class, which could be one of the best ever at Wake Forest. This talented group includes three top-50 prospects, including 6-8 F Al-Farouq Aminu (Norcross, Ga.), who is No. 15 overall.

5. Mississippi State
Coach Rick Stansbury elevates the Bulldogs into the prime time with the impressive trio of 6-6 SF Scotty Hopson (Hopkinsville, Ky.), 6-8 P/WF Romero Osby (Meridian, Miss.) and prep school standout and 6-2 PG Dee Bost (Hargrave Military).

6. Alabama
Coach Mark Gottfried scores big for Bama with three top-50 recruits, including 6-8 PF JaMychal Green (Montgomery, Ala.), who is No. 14 overall.

7. Michigan State
Coach Tom Izzo has reloaded the Spartans with three excellent prospects, including top-5 rated 6-8 P/WF Delvon Roe (Lakewood, Ohio).

8. Florida
Surprise, surprise -- Billy Donovan has another highly ranked recruiting class. The newest future Gators are headlined by 6-10 C Kenny Kadji (Bradenton, Fla.), who ranks No. 26 overall.

9. Georgetown
Coach John Thompson III now has three stellar additions to his successful program, and all are rated in the top 75, including 6-4 SG Jason Clark (Arlington, Va.) at No. 30 overall.

10. Louisville
Currently, Rick Pitino has two commitments, but one is an immediate impact player and the nation's premier big man -- 6-9 C/F Samardo Samuels (Newark, N.J.). Look for the Cardinals to add several other big-name recruits.

11. UConn
Jim Calhoun has landed a floor leader capable of taking the Huskies back to the Final Four in 6-0 PG Kemba Walker (Bronx, N.Y.), who ranks at No. 11 overall, as well as one of the nation's top prep school players in 6-6 G/F Nate Miles (Patterson School). UConn is expected to add more top talent to this class.

12. USC
Coach Tim Floyd continues his recruiting success with the Trojans. Heading his current newcomers are two prolific scoring wing players, No. 9-rated 6-6 G/F Demar DeRozan (Compton, Calif.) and 6-5 WF Malik Story (Calif.).

13. Washington
Coach Lorenzo Romar has another nationally ranked recruiting class, this one including 6-4 SG Elston Turner, Jr. (Roseville, Calif.) and sharpshooting 6-7 WF Scott Suggs (Washington, Mo.).

Other top early recruiting classes: Wisconsin, Indiana, Cincinnati, North Carolina, Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Oregon, Maryland, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, New Mexico, Clemson, N.C. State, Georgia, Stanford, Southern Illinois, Santa Clara and TCU.

spudzag
08-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Our class may well be a sleeper this year. I think Andy will be better than currently rated when he fully recovers from his health problem and packs on some pounds. Maybe a redshirt year, we'll see. I has a hunch that Grant is going to prove to be a really good too.

If we are fortunate enough to attract Rotnei our stock goes a little higher too. While Meech wouldn't impact our rating to the upside he would likely add needed speed and improve the team.

Each recruit on the list has a positve upside and a good story. May be a class with less attention than 2007, but likely a good one.

cggonzaga
08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Love seeing Santa Clara on that list. They've got a great class coming in.

Psychozag
08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Where's Duke?

USMC69
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Where's Duke?

Yea! what he said, just where are the Dookies:D

BobZag
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Few doesn't have half of his class comitted yet. At least two to go.

spudzag
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Huh, two to go, interesting. :D

sonuvazag
08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
no kidding. very interesting. can't wait to hear more explained. seriously. what does this mean? anyone?

former1dog
08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
That Bob, always riling people up! :D

cggonzaga
08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Bob's been stating for a while now that it could be both or one and somebody else. You just have to believe that we'll be losing at least two players (Pargo and Josh imo) we weren't expecting to after this season.

BobZag
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Huh, two to go, interesting. :D

:cool:

spudzag
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
:cool:

Has a date been set for Meech's visit? :confused:

BobZag
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Has a date been set for Meech's visit? :confused:

Not yet.

2009'er Jared Cunningham will be visiting sometime this Fall. That's great news.

spudzag
08-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Not yet.

2009'er Jared Cunningham will be visiting sometime this Fall. That's great news.

That's important news. I don't remember too many recruits visiting early unless they were seriously considering the program. I wonder that the % of those visiting early have committed?

BobZag
08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Doubtful but you never know. Some have, most don't. If the visit is a game like Montana on Nov. 11, that'd be ideal, imo. UCLA is his dream school but I have heard they will not offer. Gonzaga is in good shape here.

MickMick
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Bob's been stating for a while now that it could be both or one and somebody else. You just have to believe that we'll be losing at least two players (Pargo and Josh imo) we weren't expecting to after this season.

I once read a story about Memphis coach John Calipari. He needed to make room for a player from his incoming class. He had an underclassmen that was NBA ready but undecided on if he should make the jump. Supposedly, the coach called him into the office and ripped the kid's scholarship up and handed the player the pieces.

You know your recruiting has hit elite status when you are forcing kids into the League to make room for the next class.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the story could enlighten me further?

spudzag
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Found this at Rivals. from August 23rd;

Jones said Virginia, Kansas, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Oregon, Tennessee and Marquette have invited him to come out for a visit. Nearly all of the schools have offered scholarships, Jones said.

Gonzaga, Oregon, Kansas and Georgia Tech "have said that if I come out for a visit, then they will offer. I think they wanted to really gauge my interest."

Is this for real or wishful thinking?

hockeyzag
08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
The player your speaking of MickMick is Dajuan Wagner.
The July 07 issue of GQ did a story about Wes Wesley (Dajuan's Godfather, friend of Jay-Z, Lebron James, Michael Jordan, etc...)
I remember that story from the article. Really interesting article, this Wes guy is all over the place when it comes to basketball, he knows everybody.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5735

"Wes had been managing Dajuan’s career since the boy was 11, and so when it came time for Dajuan to head to Memphis, Wes went along. After only one season—in which Dajuan averaged twenty-one points a game—Calipari called Milt and Dajuan into his office. “I tore up Dajuan’s scholarship in front of him to make sure he understood he wasn’t coming back,” Calipari says. Dajuan was ready for the NBA. The Cavaliers selected him in the first round of the 2002 draft, and as Dajuan made his move from college to the pros, Wes was there to ease the transition. In his first year, Dajuan was among NBA rookie leaders in scoring, assists, and minutes played."

BobZag
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
No way does anybody wish Pargo AND Josh go pro after this season.