PDA

View Full Version : You couldn't dream up a better draw than this!

Hokis
02-13-2014, 05:59 AM
From Lundardi's Bracketology 02/13/14

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/DoMiChiWaH/10275C15-1BCF-4481-A7E1-E2EA89D8E8F9.png (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/DoMiChiWaH/media/10275C15-1BCF-4481-A7E1-E2EA89D8E8F9.png.html)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

P.S. A better, more specific breakdown and Bracketology

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-tournament/bracketology/

Oregonzagnut
02-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Does Lunardi have us as a 7 seed and everyone else seems to think we are on the bubble? We need to win out and at least end up with 29 wins.

I think after seeing what we can do down low, our team can win the rest of the year. Even in Provo and Moraga

VinnyZag
02-13-2014, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure anybody outside of neurotic Gonzaga fans (including myself here) seriously thinks Gonzaga is on the bubble.
It won't matter, anyhow. Gonzaga will win the automatic bid.

MississppiZag
02-13-2014, 07:04 AM
That would be terrible. Michigan has 4 NBA wings in Stauskas, LaVert, Irvin, and Robinson III. Oh and Kansas has 2 in Wiggins and Selden. All 6 of those players are 6'5" or taller. Both teams also have lightning quick PG's. Also I'd take any of Colo, Stanford, or ASU as the 10 seed. Nova as the 2 seed would be better.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2014, 07:17 AM
I don't like the draw of California at all. They are a tough nosed defensive basketball team.

I do like however the possible revenge of Ohio State and Wichita State. That would be sweet.

77Zag
02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
It would be better if it were in Spokane... I know, pipe dream.

Go Zags - Beat the Waves!

hooter73
02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
yet another 2nd round out.

madness
02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Cal also has a very athletic big man (Solomon) that would give Shem fits. There are only a few teams that boast bigs that I think will kill Shem (this year):

1. Kansas
2. Zona
3. Kentucky
4. Cal

I think Shem can control the paint against all other teams in the NCAAs (especially after seeing him battle in the Memphis game...Shem showed me a ton on Saturday)

MDABE80
02-13-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't think we'd get past California. We don't have the bigs to compete with higher end teams in hgiher end conferences. Even if Kevin's toe completely healed, we'd still be in trouble. Despite Caduceus' graphs with able support from nu,ber cruncher, we'd need Coleman and Nunez working perfectly. I just don't think staff did enough in the offseason. Just my opinion.

Zagdawg
02-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Rebuilding and injury plagued year and we are on the edge of the top 25 with a 22 RPI and 21-4 record.

Team is doing fine and will only get better from here as we get healthier heading into the dance.

Go Zags

Mojo13
02-13-2014, 10:10 AM
That would be a terrible draw - Cal is underated and would be pretty tough.
Michigan is really good and I dont see who could stop Stauskus.
Kansas would destroy the Zags right now and they are only getting better every week. Talk about strength of scheduled.

Mojo13
02-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Cal also has a very athletic big man (Solomon) that would give Shem fits. There are only a few teams that boast bigs that I think will kill Shem (this year):

1. Kansas
2. Zona
3. Kentucky
4. Cal

I think Shem can control the paint against all other teams in the NCAAs (especially after seeing him battle in the Memphis game...Shem showed me a ton on Saturday)

Jordan Bachynski at ASU would be an interesting match up for Shem. I think Bachynski wins that battle.

MDABE80
02-13-2014, 10:54 AM
EIther of the UA or ASU centers would be hard on Shem. Both skilled.

Zags11
02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Ohio st so up and down. Zags beat cal, and depeneing on guard play advance to sw16.

Mr Vulture
02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
If we're going to be a 7-10 seed in the tournament, which is what I expect, I kind of want us to be set up for a matchup against Wichita State in the second game. I don't expect to go deep in the tournament this year and would love to see that game. Could be quite the story if we met as opposite seeded opponents this year and the Zags pulled the upset.

Mr Vulture
02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I watched Cal last night versus WSU and I thought they looked very mediocre, which is what they are. They had the big win versus Arizona but also lost to USC and have 4 or 5 league losses. I think we would take care of Cal if we got them in the tournament and I think it would be by more than you'd think.

That would be a terrible draw - Cal is underated and would be pretty tough.
Michigan is really good and I dont see who could stop Stauskus.
Kansas would destroy the Zags right now and they are only getting better every week. Talk about strength of scheduled.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I watched Cal last night versus WSU and I thought they looked very mediocre, which is what they are. They had the big win versus Arizona but also lost to USC and have 4 or 5 league losses. I think we would take care of Cal if we got them in the tournament and I think it would be by more than you'd think.

We have beaten longer more defensive minded teams in tournament games with less frontcourt talent before (see Florida State in 2009) We can grind it out if we have to.

DixieZag
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Being a 7th seed anywhere has a lot of appeal - - we play well in opening rounds, stay away from a tough one in the second and hope for an overrated BCS team and then let it rip. 6th seed would be better, but I think we'd have to almost win out.

vandalzag
02-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Agreed. If you take Arizona out of the PAC not sure there is a ton of good teams, many bunched together with 5-8 losses and then the bottom feeders. I know the conference RPI is 3 but going through each teams non-conference schedule there is not a ton of quality wins (especially when you take out Arizona). I find it hard to believe GU would be a 7 as a 29 win conference champ and Cal is a 10 as the number 7 team from the pac 12.

23zagmd
02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
are there really any Good draws in the tournament? I think we proved last year that a great draw gets you nothing, except maybe bounced in the 2nd round. EVERY single game is a battle! Winning comes down to execution, great defense and a lot of luck. Something we have not had in a long time come March. Maybe....

ZagaZags
02-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Does Lunardi have us as a 7 seed and everyone else seems to think we are on the bubble? We need to win out and at least end up with 29 wins.

I think after seeing what we can do down low, our team can win the rest of the year. Even in Provo and Moraga

Did I mention 29-5? ;)

vandalzag
02-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Gonzaga has literally no good wins and a couple bad losses.. Why in the heck would they deserve better?

People always knock SMC for playing weak schedules and then winning a bunch of games and complaining about not getting in. Now we think we do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually one has nothing to do with the other. I was speaking to Cal being a 10 seed as the number 7 team in the pac 12 and what the Pac12 has done outside of Arizona. So if you want to comment on that feel free, but at least be correct. If GU wins out they will land at a 5 or 6 unless there are a bunch of upsets ahead of them and they may jump to a 4.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Gonzaga has literally no good wins and a couple bad losses.. Why in the heck would they deserve better?

People always knock SMC for playing weak schedules and then winning a bunch of games and complaining about not getting in. Now we think we do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think SMC has even played as tough as an OOC as the one we have had this year. At least we have played some decent squads. Saint Mary's played Creighton and Boise State one year. Big whoop. Try playing in Morgantown suckas!

vandalzag
02-14-2014, 07:50 AM
I don't think SMC has even played as tough as an OOC as the one we have had this year. At least we have played some decent squads. Saint Mary's played Creighton and Boise State one year. Big whoop. Try playing in Morgantown suckas!

It has always been a confusing thing with the Gaels. Whereas GU paid the price early on by playing anybody anywhere, St Mary's decided to go the Romar cupcake route after their first successful run in the tourney. GU wrote the book on how to establish yourself nationally and for some reason Bennett decided to ignore it. GU's schedule this year was not up to previous years because of the early exit at Maui and the Battle in Seattle promoter losing the big name school and not being able to replace it. But this was an aberration and they will return to normal next year.

maynard g krebs
02-14-2014, 08:52 AM
I was speaking to Cal being a 10 seed as the number 7 team in the pac 12 and what the Pac12 has done outside of Arizona. So if you want to comment on that feel free, but at least be correct.

Cal is currently tied for third in the pac at 7-4. I generally love your posts, and have the impression that you are someone who appreciates irony.

Zags11
02-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Wont matter. Zags 5 seed in spokane.

vandalzag
02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Cal is currently tied for third in the pac at 7-4. I generally love your posts, and have the impression that you are someone who appreciates irony.

NO kidding Do not know what standings I was looking at when I posted(I must have just counted places from the top and ran out of fingers, as opposed to actually looking at numbers which never helps) but I was way off, thanks for the correction and I do appreciate the irony. That being said the number 3 team from the number 3 conference is a 10 in the tourney, maybe it does speak to the lack of quality for the league.

75Zag
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
At this point a 9 seed playing in San Diego vs. George Washington sounds pretty good to me.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Go Bulldogs!