PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Gonzagas non-Conference Schedule.

HillBillyZag
02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
It is getting more and more difficult to schedule a regular season home game with any of the Major Conference Schools. Except for meeting in an invitational tourney, all demand to play at a so called "neutral" site convenient to their own Fans. Playing some of the "cupcakes" we had this season will not help us in either getting an invitation to?, or preparing to play the kind of teams we usually face in the NCAA Tourney. G.U. should get games with "Big East", Atlantic Ten, and Missouri Valley Schools. These Teams are usually skilled, confident, and competitive. I'd love to see a 'home & Home with the likes of the St. Joes, Creightons, St. Louis's, Wichita States, Memphis's St. Johns, Northern Illinois, Drakes,Xaviers, and Butlers of Collegiate basketball. They will display Spirit, Skills,Toughness, and Attitude similar to our own to our own, would prepare 'us to the "Big Dance" and hopefully begin some good long term rivalries.

Zagdawg
02-12-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll take Arizona over any of the teams mentioned above.....oh yeah ---we have that over the next 3 years ----leave out the travel across the country and get one of the best teams in college basketball to boot. Great scheduling by the staff.

Go Zags.

Zag 77
02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
In recent years GU has been able to get some highly ranked opponents, sometimes even playing at the Kennel: Arizona Mich. State, Notre Dame, Xavier, Duke, Stanford, North Carolina, Wake Forest, etc. The Battle in Seattle had to scrounge up an opponent late after something fell through.

The staff most likely took a look at who we lost from the roster and took the non-league schedule down a notch other than the Maui Tournament. Some other teams like WV turned out not to be as strong as expected. Some, like Kansas State may yet turn out to have good resumes once the season is done.

I would not worry about it. Few has some pretty good contacts and friends in the coaching profession. We are not exactly West Podunk Sisters of the Poor who have to beg to get a good opponent like the Fitz years.

realtydog
02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Who do we have next year??

exclusivelee
02-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Who do we have next year??

@ Arizona
vs Memphis
@ Wazzu

NIT Season Tipoff featuring Minnesota, St John's, & Georgia

strikenowhere
02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
@ Arizona
vs Memphis
@ Wazzu

NIT Season Tipoff featuring Minnesota, St John's, & Georgia

Don't we still have the return game with Michigan St.? Or was that postponed indefinitely?

VaBeachZAG
02-13-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't we still have the return game with Michigan St.? Or was that postponed indefinitely?

The home and home with MSU started at the Breslin with the return match at the Kennel two years ago. Not likely to ever get MSU in the Kennel again. However, I think the staff should resurrect the mini-tournament idea that almost happened with MSU at the Spokane Coliseum this year.

VaBeachZAG
02-13-2014, 04:50 AM
In recent years GU has been able to get some highly ranked opponents, sometimes even playing at the Kennel: Arizona Mich. State, Notre Dame, Xavier, Duke, Stanford, North Carolina, Wake Forest, etc. The Battle in Seattle had to scrounge up an opponent late after something fell through.

The staff most likely took a look at who we lost from the roster and took the non-league schedule down a notch other than the Maui Tournament. Some other teams like WV turned out not to be as strong as expected. Some, like Kansas State may yet turn out to have good resumes once the season is done.

I would not worry about it. Few has some pretty good contacts and friends in the coaching profession. We are not exactly West Podunk Sisters of the Poor who have to beg to get a good opponent like the Fitz years.

One notable Kennel appearance omitted from your list is Virginia. By the way, Virginia is coming on strong (Joe Harris has regained his on-court swagger and is playing good). It still sticks in my craw that we missed on this guy.

TravelinZag
02-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Next season should not have as much delay in conference scheduling because there will be fewer changes in conference alignments. Late conference scheduling caused changes in GU's OOC slate this year. That said, there should be no excuse for a sub-par opponent for the so-called "Battle in Seattle" next year. Actually, I'd favor a three-year rotation with Washington State: home, away, Seattle, but that probably makes too much sense. The Heathcoat tribute would be terrific to try again, but WSU would have to agree to delay the "home" game of their current arrangement with GU. In reality, there were only two "cupcakes" (my definition: below 200 RPI) this year; one was unavoidable, and one (Coppin State) was never explained.

Some powers in the east travel reluctantly, i.e., Syracuse, Duke, but there have to be others for whom a home-and-home or BIS would be attractive: Connecticut, Pittsburg, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Virginia plus some good mid-majors. For most SEC teams (not a great basketball conference in any case), GU would be a long trip, as would the return for GU. The midwest should hold a plethora of candidates at closer distances including the Big 10, newer adds to the SEC and the Big 12 (GU has played most of the good teams in recent years, but Kansas? Texas - instead of the annual scrimmage?). Plus mid-majors, including possible future conference opponents in the Big East. Three or four BCS opponents combined with two or three excellent mid-majors, some solid (120-176 RPI) above-average opponents and a tournament (hopefully with better competitors than next year's NIT Tipoff) would be a solid OOC schedule in any year, yet still afford some "breathers" who are not cupcakes.

77Zag
02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
The west is a good start --

UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
New Mexico
Arizona
Washington (Haha)
Boise State
San Diego State
Utah

Get home and homes going. Less travel and certainly good team to fill the resume.

I would actually like to see a WCC - Pac 12 challenge each year.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2014, 08:45 AM

UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
New Mexico
Arizona
Washington (Haha)
Boise State
San Diego State
Utah

Get home and homes going. Less travel and certainly good team to fill the resume.

So glad we got to give Washington a good arse kicking before they kicked us off the schedule! GO ZAGS!

cjm720
02-13-2014, 08:47 AM

UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
New Mexico
Arizona
Washington (Haha)
Boise State
San Diego State
Utah

me too!

HillBillyZag
02-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Frankly, some of you are the most regionally biased, arrogant, and elitist fans that I'v ever encountered. The Schools in the new big East, the Atlantic TEn, and the Missouri VAlley were Nationally known basketball wise before anyone outside of Washington ever heard of Gonzaga.And now you believe that a top tier Major Conference team is going to give you multi season a home-home? Don't 'hold your breath. We have a 6500 seat arena always filled with high rollers, who keep patting themselves on the back for keeping the commoners out of the crowd while predicting the long awaited Zag ascendance to the "final four"? Get freaking real! This is merely a damn good Mid-Major Collegiate Basketball Program that has much more in common with the St. Mary's, Creightons, Dayton's, VCU's, Butlers and Memphises of hoops than the North Carolina's, Dukes, Kentucky's, and Kansas's, Ohio State's,Michigan's, Stanf'or's and Cal's upper crust darlings of ESPN. In fact the talking heads would rather the Favorites win every match-up, upsets are not good for ratings.

Zagdawg
02-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Are you really complaining because folks on the board would rather play good teams on this side of the country when possible rather than flying across multiple time zones for a similiar caliber game.

Just because a team is on the East coast doesn't make it better than the schools out West-- the Zags can get just as good big dance experience playing West coast teams.

The West coast travel alone allows more Zag fans the opportunity to get to a game on the West coast.

Plus the recruiting benefit is significant if we can get a big game on the West coast where we are recruiting a good number of players.

Sorry if we hurt your feelings by providing an alternative option to your suggestion--but you will be ok.

Go Zags

Oregonzagnut
02-14-2014, 02:19 AM
Few knew this would be a difficult year losing Hart, Harris and Olynyk. So he gambled by scheduling his best guess "diamonds in the rough", who might go on to challenge for their conferences. Didn't work out and losing the 3 biggest games at the time, Dayton, K St and Memphis hurt. but if we would have done what BYU did by scheduling top 10 OCC, and had those injuries, we may have had 6-8 losses by now and essentially already may have lost our at large hopes. We can still have a top 15 RPI if all our opponents start winning and we win all 8 of our upcoming games.

If we go 29-5 (.853) and have a 20 something RPI, we get in guaranteed. Even a 28-6 (.823) record and 30ish RPI is guaranteed. If we didn't get in with a 28-6 record, it would be one of the biggest ever snubs. That being the case, given our history, I think we still get an at large if we end up 27-7 w/ a 40ish RPI, as long as we don't lay any eggs other than BYU or St Marys.

ZagaZags
02-14-2014, 02:44 AM
Few knew this would be a difficult year losing Hart, Harris and Olynyk. So he gambled by scheduling his best guess "diamonds in the rough", who might go on to challenge for their conferences. Didn't work out and losing the 3 biggest games at the time, Dayton, K St and Memphis hurt. but if we would have done what BYU did by scheduling top 10 OCC, and had those injuries, we may have had 6-8 losses by now and essentially already may have lost our at large hopes. We can still have a top 15 RPI if all our opponents start winning and we win all 8 of our upcoming games.

If we go 29-5 (.853) and have a 20 something RPI, we get in guaranteed. Even a 28-6 (.823) record and 30ish RPI is guaranteed. If we didn't get in with a 28-6 record, it would be one of the biggest ever snubs. That being the case, given our history, I think we still get an at large if we end up 27-7 w/ a 40ish RPI, as long as we don't lay any eggs other than BYU or St Marys.

100% agree with 29-5. Can you imagine if we somehow get to 30-4? That would be a 5-6 seed.

vandalzag
02-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Frankly, some of you are the most regionally biased, arrogant, and elitist fans that I'v ever encountered. The Schools in the new big East, the Atlantic TEn, and the Missouri VAlley were Nationally known basketball wise before anyone outside of Washington ever heard of Gonzaga.And now you believe that a top tier Major Conference team is going to give you multi season a home-home? Don't 'hold your breath. We have a 6500 seat arena always filled with high rollers, who keep patting themselves on the back for keeping the commoners out of the crowd while predicting the long awaited Zag ascendance to the "final four"? Get freaking real! This is merely a damn good Mid-Major Collegiate Basketball Program that has much more in common with the St. Mary's, Creightons, Dayton's, VCU's, Butlers and Memphises of hoops than the North Carolina's, Dukes, Kentucky's, and Kansas's, Ohio State's,Michigan's, Stanf'or's and Cal's upper crust darlings of ESPN. In fact the talking heads would rather the Favorites win every match-up, upsets are not good for ratings.

Lets see Cal upper crust? A team that has won 2 games in the NCAA tourney twice since 1960 and Stanford having made it past the first weekend 4 times since 1942 hardly qualify as upper crust material and actually put them closer to St. Mary's then GU and they do not deserve to be mentioned with the likes of Duke. As far as the teams in the MVC and new big east being household names I would beg to differ. Creighton has not been to the second weekend since 1974 and pretty much has been 0-1 in the tourney since. Butler's run started in 2003 and name recognition came with the back to back final 4's. The only thing mid-major about this program is the gym and the conference. GU could fill a 10K easily but without the big money of a football program they have to write the check for it. As far as the conference GU is at a disadvantage due to geography not much they can do about that other then hope that other schools in the WCC upgrade. Arrogance and biased is dismissing what GU has done the last 15 years. GU is established and is on equal footing with all but a handful of schools(Duke,Kansas,Syracuse) in terms of scheduling where they have earned equal consideration in terms of home and home games.

jbslicer
02-14-2014, 08:28 AM
I sold an extra ticket to a guy outside the MAC last night. I hope I didn't sell it to a commoner.

Zagdawg
02-14-2014, 08:31 AM
I think you were ok if they were wearing a "Top 1%" tshirt.

webspinnre
02-14-2014, 08:38 AM
One of the problem is that many/most Pac-12 teams don't have any particular desire to schedule a home-and-home with us. Scheduling takes interest from two parties.

Zags11
02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Zags will be 5 seed in spokane. Wierd feeling.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
One of the problem is that many/most Pac-12 teams don't have any particular desire to schedule a home-and-home with us. Scheduling takes interest from two parties.

Yup. So we had to go on the road and beat them, and once they did they got scared.

ZaGranny
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
There were a guy and his son standing outside with two signs. I suggested to them that they separate to improve their chances. They did, and they got in. They were real Zag fans.

ZaGranny

exclusivelee
02-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Zags will be 5 seed in spokane. Wierd feeling.

Mock Selection Committee voted Zags as a 9 seed today

ZenZag
02-14-2014, 08:45 AM
I would love it if the Zags got something going with Boise State. With the Rice connection and all I'm surprised it hasn't happened. Rice has that team coming along nicely. They played a great game vc SDSU....only to let it slip away late in the 2nd half (see: GU vs Memphis). Another added bene is that I live in Boise.....so......

Zags11
02-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Mock Selection Committee voted Zags as a 9 seed today

Im counting on us winning out. :)

Zagdawg
02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Pac 12 schools we will be playing over the next 3 years-- Arizona and Washington State-- not bad -- get the best of the Pac plus the local school for the battle for best in the state of Washington.

Booster
02-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Don't be surprised to see UW on the schedule next year. It obviously doesn't go in the "upgrade" pile, but worth a note anyway.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Don't be surprised to see UW on the schedule next year. It obviously doesn't go in the "upgrade" pile, but worth a note anyway.

I would be shocked if they were on the schedule

BobZag
02-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Booster is one of those board members who posts rarely, but who knows what he's talking about. I wouldn't dismiss his post.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Booster is one of those board members who posts rarely, but who knows what he's talking about. I wouldn't dismiss his post.

Thanks for the heads up! It is about time we get a chance to play UDub again. That would be nice, and I am rooting for it.

Oregonzagnut
02-14-2014, 12:24 PM
UW is an upgrade from Bryant, Coppin St, Colorado St, and Oakland. Adding in UW (RPI 75) would help our SOS and also inspire us in other ways and make our rivalry matter again to the players and the fans.

UW needs to agree to a simple home and away series out of mutual respect. UW is not above that are they?

exclusivelee
02-14-2014, 12:40 PM

People who went to Tommy Lloyd's Zags Basketball Tip-Off Dinner have reported that Gonzaga and U-Dub are in talks to restart the series

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47030-Tidbits-from-Tommy-s-talk&p=936687#post936687

Look for the UW home and home to "potentially" start again next year. Says the animosity between the two schools has been overblown on message boards .... UW was just tired of losing 8 of 9 by an average of 15 points (he said 16 but I looked it up ... was about 14.5). GU had no interest in the most recent proposal i.e. 3 in the Key then one at the Arena. They'd come back into the series as a true home and home.

cbbfanatic
02-14-2014, 12:45 PM
A

Just because a team is on the East coast doesn't make it better than the schools out West-- the Zags can get just as good big dance experience playing West coast teams.

Go Zags

being on the east coast is not what makes the programs better, but there is just a much higher concentration of good (accomplished might be a better word, less subjective) basketball programs on the east coast than anywhere else, especially the mountain/west coast regions - and thats not really debatable. i've said it before, with college basketball, its not an east coast bias, its an east coast track record.

i can see how HBZ's post could really rankle some around here, but i think there is a lot of truth to it. especially the part where he says GU is closer to the dayton types than the duke types and that anything else is delusion. i think part of the problem is that there is a real lack of awareness for what some of the other teams in that second tier (immediately below the big 6-8) have done and are doing relative to gonzaga. a lot of time reading this board, it feels like people here want to place GU right below the elites like duke, unc, kansas, kentucky, ucla, louisville. even if there is an acknowledged gap between that top group and everyone else, it seems like there is limited understanding or outright refusal to acknowledge that second tier of programs that clearly sit between the true elites and gonzaga. im talking about programs like uconn, georgetown, michigan state, michigan, villanova, xavier, arizona, marquette, indiana, maryland, texas, oklahoma, florida, and more (how many more is dependent on how much you want to open up your timeframe).

and i dont buy the "what have you done for me lately" defense, because 1999 was a long time ago. since then, over 200 sweet 16 berths have been earned, over 100 to the elite 8, and over 50 to the FINAL FOUR. i realize any program could only pull in one of each of these per year, and that a group of probably 10 schools make up a significant % of the total, but i do think that its good context in that it underlines how many of these sweet 16s and further have been earned in the timeframe since gonzaga became relevant. i dont make the point to diminish gonzaga's accomplishments, moreso to point out the sheer volume of non-gonzaga accomplishments that have gone out during that period.

my opinion is that there is a very myopic tilt to this board - probably due to lack of conference competition and general isolation from much of the rest of college basketball. that, and i think a lot of people are probably a little trigger shy to say something that might be jumped on as treasonous.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 12:46 PM
People who went to Tommy Lloyd's Zags Basketball Tip-Off Dinner have reported that Gonzaga and U-Dub are in talks to restart the series

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47030-Tidbits-from-Tommy-s-talk&p=936687#post936687

Thanks for the link! That is awesome! I really hope so!!!!!

Zagdawg
02-14-2014, 01:22 PM
The point that many are trying to make that seems to be eluding a few here.....why travel to Georgetown/Xavier --when we are playing Arizona-- and can work on a game with San Diego State or some other solid teams on the West Coast.

We are already traveling to Madison Square Garden next year for the NIT Preseason Tipoff-- Add in one more East coast trip max and play the rest on the West coast.

Positives of minimizing travel time across the country-- no time zone issue for the team, less travel time, better potential Zag fan attendance, closer to the recruits that we are in the mix for.

We have seen what happens when we load up our schedule with multiple trips across the country.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 01:34 PM
The point that many are trying to make that seems to be eluding a few here.....why travel to Georgetown/Xavier --when we are playing Arizona-- and can work on a game with San Diego State or some other solid teams on the West Coast.

We are already traveling to Madison Square Garden next year for the NIT Preseason Tipoff-- Add in one more East coast trip max and play the rest on the West coast.

Positives of minimizing travel time across the country-- no time zone issue for the team, less travel time, better potential Zag fan attendance, closer to the recruits that we are in the mix for.

We have seen what happens when we load up our schedule with multiple trips across the country.

UGH!!!!

23dpg
02-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Wow, playing Washington again? I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that right now. At the end, I thought it was one of the more underrated rivalries in college basketball. I guess I'm still a little sore that it was taken away.

As far as playing teams on the west vs east coast, I think that the posters are saying two things, both correct. I agree that there are a number of high caliber teams on the west coast that we could play to upgrade our schedule. The problem is, they might not want to play us, for whatever reason.
As far as playing teams on the east coast, there are certainly more high caliber teams over there, it's just much harder for us to get to them and visa versa. Teams from the east coast generally don't like to travel out here. And why should they? A good school like Tennesse can fill their non conference quite easily with teams within 500 miles of their school. I get that.

East coast bias to me is real but also quite understandable. As a bball fan, I can pretty much watch every game on TV here on the left coast and still get to bed by 9 or 10. That is just not possible for most folks on the east coast. I was just over there for a week and feel like I lost touch of the games on the west coast during that time. It's what I would call a real world bias. One that we would have if the earth rotated the other way.

maynard g krebs
02-14-2014, 02:05 PM
being on the east coast is not what makes the programs better, but there is just a much higher concentration of good (accomplished might be a better word, less subjective) basketball programs on the east coast than anywhere else, especially the mountain/west coast regions - and thats not really debatable. i've said it before, with college basketball, its not an east coast bias, its an east coast track record.

There are more "accomplished programs" in the east simply because that is where the greatest concentration of population is, and therefore the greatest number of schools. For the record, schools west of the Mississippi have, if I counted right, won 26 of 75 NCAA tournaments, just under 35%. I would guess that's a bit more than the proportion of population, and competitive schools, in the west. Teams from the east coast states have won 23, and teams from the states between the eastern seaboard and the plains have won 26. Without doing a bunch of research, I'd guess that follows national population distribution pretty closely.

East has more quantity. Quantity and quality are two different things.

East coast bias is a separate issue, and a very real one. East coast gets the vast majority of media attn, because most of the fans are there. Majority of poll voters are in the east, western games are on late, I could go on but it's pretty obvious it's a fact.

Based on the above, ironically, I'd call your post a good example of the bias you're trying to deny, i.e. conflating quantity with quality.

cbbfanatic
02-14-2014, 02:55 PM
There are more "accomplished programs" in the east simply because that is where the greatest concentration of population is, and therefore the greatest number of schools. For the record, schools west of the Mississippi have, if I counted right, won 26 of 75 NCAA tournaments, just under 35%. I would guess that's a bit more than the proportion of population, and competitive schools, in the west. Teams from the east coast states have won 23, and teams from the states between the eastern seaboard and the plains have won 26. Without doing a bunch of research, I'd guess that follows national population distribution pretty closely.

East has more quantity. Quantity and quality are two different things.

East coast bias is a separate issue, and a very real one. East coast gets the vast majority of media attn, because most of the fans are there. Majority of poll voters are in the east, western games are on late, I could go on but it's pretty obvious it's a fact.

Based on the above, ironically, I'd call your post a good example of the bias you're trying to deny, i.e. conflating quantity with quality.

my track record comment isnt based on bedtimes and comparative population densities, but is more focused on post-season performance - as that is a lot more concrete and to the point. there are far more teams back east that advance deeper into the tournament than out west... if you're into that kind of thing. so i guess it is quality and quantity. clearly, the demographics of this country would suggest that you'd find more good basketball schools out east than you do in the west. im not terribly confused about the "why" here

the national championship #s quoted are also a little dicey here because i think the most relevant discussion regarding GU is sweet 16 and beyond (not just titles), but more importantly, that a huge % of those west of mississippi championships are won by one or two teams. # of different teams to win a title, reach a ff, et would be more meaningful to me, as that was more what i was getting at --- that there are far more teams back east that are proven winners in the postseason, and much of this board seems to have a huge blindspot for some of the other programs out there that have been winners over the years.

sittingon50
02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Lot's of stuff in this thread:

Don't think you'll see the Zags playing Boise St. as long as Leon is there. Nor Drake. Few plays Grier because he has to.

Would love to see the Zags go east for 2 next yr. with the club they'll have. Give Gerard & Angel some games in their neighborhood. You could count on Martelli to give them one if needed. They are a bubble team @ the moment with a 81 RPI. Plus, they've built a new place since DD's heroics.

cbbfanatic
02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Lot's of stuff in this thread:

Don't think you'll see the Zags playing Boise St. as long as Leon is there. Nor Drake. Few plays Grier because he has to.

Would love to see the Zags go east for 2 next yr. with the club they'll have. Give Gerard & Angel some games in their neighborhood. You could count on Martelli to give them one if needed. They are a bubble team @ the moment with a 81 RPI. Plus, they've built a new place since DD's heroics.

shoot higher than st joes

sittingon50
02-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Understood, fanatic. I said 2 games, to make the trip legit. My "suggestion" would be a warm-up game 3 time zones away (Martelli) & then whatever big fish you could reel in. Always subject, of course, to teams being able to fit dates into their schedule. You don't think a top 100 warm-up makes sense? 2 big fish?

Zagdawg
02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
With the NIT preseason tourney next year--we will be playing November 17/18 or the 18/19 at home (two games back to back) --then the 26/28th at Madison Square Garden (if we continue to win) -- Thanksgiving falls on Nov 27th.

cbbfanatic
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Understood, fanatic. I said 2 games, to make the trip legit. My "suggestion" would be a warm-up game 3 time zones away (Martelli) & then whatever big fish you could reel in. Always subject, of course, to teams being able to fit dates into their schedule. You don't think a top 100 warm-up makes sense? 2 big fish?

Yeah, as an under card they make sense.

Cuse seems like a good potential match up for carrier dome/bis. Well, maybe just carrier dome since they don't travel much in december. Either way, a one timer in Syracuse seems like it'd be well worth it

What ever happened to playing xavier? I thought that thing had legs as a perennial matchup

sittingon50
02-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Both of those are good suggestions.

Boeheim & Few are pretty good friends. Would like to see next yrs. Zag team play that game! And then a BIS return? Would be great entertainment, but Away/Semi-Neutral. Would Few go for that?