PDA

View Full Version : This is Rivalry Week on ESPN

BobZag
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
And for the first time in a long, long time the Zags are not a part of it. In years past, the schedulers would line up Pepperdine and Gonzaga back when Pepp was the rival, then St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Just a little something I noticed. It actually feels kinda nice not being in the spotlight two weeks in a row. I suspect Gonzaga will be part of Judgment Week later this month.

Reborn
02-12-2014, 12:05 PM
And for the first time in a long, long time the Zags are not a part of it. In years past, the schedulers would line up Pepperdine and Gonzaga back when Pepp was the rival, then St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Just a little something I noticed. It actually feels kinda nice not being in the spotlight two weeks in a row. I suspect Gonzaga will be part of Judgment Week later this month.

I noticed the same thing. I remember when I first the announcer talk about RIVALRY WEEK, I was like, "How can this be rivalry week when we aren't playing St. Mary's" They have St Mary's playing BYU Saturday.

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I am okay with it. After losing to Memphis we needed to come home and take care of business. Then after that, we get to go play on the road to close the season

Is it Basketball Time in Spokane yet? Go Zags!!!!

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Duke/UNC is cancelled today.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-12-2014, 02:12 PM
It makes sense seeing as we have no legitimate rival. SMC was second place, that's the only reason we have been "rivals."

cbbfanatic
02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
espn's "rivalry week" is a joke. they take 2-3 real rivalries that would have happened this time of year anyway, and throw in a bunch of other loose (at best) rivalries, or just call already scheduled games "rivalries" hoping that people will tune in in higher #s if there is a perception of a real event going on.

Zagdawg
02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Wow -- ESPN is marketing their product-- I can't imagine a company doing that.

Carry on.

DixieZag
02-12-2014, 05:45 PM
I miss the snippets that the Seattle Zags would send us about their sport jocks over there bending over backwards to see who could put GU down with greatest prowess during the SMC/GU rivalry week.