PDA

View Full Version : Bilas on Zags (up 3 spots)

jazzdelmar
02-12-2014, 05:51 AM
24. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous ranking: 27)

The Zags have a terrific shooting team, and are among the most efficient 3-point shooting clubs in the nation. Yet without a healthy Kevin Pangos, this team is not as good as it was earlier in the season, and not as good as it could be now. Pangos is fighting turf toe and an injured ankle, and has shown incredible toughness in continuing to fight through pain and play. Pangos has had to choreograph movement into his shot; he can't plant and cut the way he would like, and cannot jab and push off. Plus, a guy who prepares as meticulously as Pangos is at a big disadvantage by not being able to practice and prepare. Regardless, Gonzaga has lost a grand total of four games (to Dayton, Kansas State, Portland and Memphis). This is still an NCAA tournament team, and a team that can advance if healthy.

Ekrub
02-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Outplaying Memphis for 35 minutes on their floor Made me believe we can compete with anybody.

LongIslandZagFan
02-12-2014, 06:21 AM
With Few as the coach... I just don't see that happening. </sarcasm>

sittingon50
02-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Wait a minute. I read on this board that Bilas hates Gonzaga! </additional sarcasm/>

ZagMan in Philly
02-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Who said Bilas doesn't like Zags? He put us ahead of Memphis and Kansas State.
Jazz, please send some of the warm SD air to the east coast please, we are hunkering down for another 10 to 12 inches of snow late tonight.
Are you ready to dig out LIZF?

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 06:48 AM
24. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous ranking: 27)

The Zags have a terrific shooting team, and are among the most efficient 3-point shooting clubs in the nation. Yet without a healthy Kevin Pangos, this team is not as good as it was earlier in the season, and not as good as it could be now. Pangos is fighting turf toe and an injured ankle, and has shown incredible toughness in continuing to fight through pain and play. Pangos has had to choreograph movement into his shot; he can't plant and cut the way he would like, and cannot jab and push off. Plus, a guy who prepares as meticulously as Pangos is at a big disadvantage by not being able to practice and prepare. Regardless, Gonzaga has lost a grand total of four games (to Dayton, Kansas State, Portland and Memphis). This is still an NCAA tournament team, and a team that can advance if healthy.

Link please?

LongIslandZagFan
02-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Jazz, please send some of the warm SD air to the east coast please, we are hunkering down for another 10 to 12 inches of snow late tonight.

I am really starting to F-ing hate snow. I have frigging what equates to landlocked icebergs in front of my house. I just can't wait for them to be plowed in front of my dirveway... because my back just LOVES trying to lift that crap. Expecting anywhere from 3-10 depending on where on the island you are. Work looks to be in the 10 area... home 3-5.. PLUS the added benefit of rain to make the stuff heavy. Ugh.

Worst... winter... ever. Think this is the 5th or 6th major storm to hit.

Stay safe Philly, hope you don't get walloped too bad.

TexasZagFan
02-12-2014, 07:23 AM
I am really starting to F-ing hate snow. I have frigging what equates to landlocked icebergs in front of my house. I just can't wait for them to be plowed in front of my dirveway... because my back just LOVES trying to lift that crap. Expecting anywhere from 3-10 depending on where on the island you are. Work looks to be in the 10 area... home 3-5.. PLUS the added benefit of rain to make the stuff heavy. Ugh.

Worst... winter... ever. Think this is the 5th or 6th major storm to hit.

Stay safe Philly, hope you don't get walloped too bad.

I'm a big fan of Global Warming, but not "climate change", which brings in too much cold weather.

Not looking forward to the remaining five weeks of winter.

Stay safe to all of you in (much) colder climes. We might get into the mid-40s today, and back to normal by the weekend (60s).

hooter73
02-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Kansas State just beat Kansas. Memphis is either really good or really overrated and none of the pundits can agree which one it is. Regardless of those two points, this year we are as good as Pangos is and he is not grooving like he wants to be.

cjm720
02-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Spot on

jazzdelmar
02-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Link please?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10433682/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-college-basketball (subscription wall)

jazzdelmar
02-12-2014, 07:51 AM

I see that....NYC w a foot maybe......Here, you ask? Tell 'em, ZagaZags.....70s today....80s on weekend....

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 07:58 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10433682/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-college-basketball (subscription wall)

dangit. Forgot about the subscription needed. Thanks anyway Jazz.

northsidezagfan
02-12-2014, 08:04 AM
52. Brigham Young Cougars (Previous ranking: 50)

If you love to watch teams that can score, watch BYU. Tyler Haws is a terrific offensive player who is among the nation's leading scorers. And though BYU is not a great defensive team, the Cougars can certainly outscore their opponents.

64. Saint Mary's Gaels (Previous ranking: NR)

The Gaels are 18-7 overall and 8-4 in the West Coast Conference, and have wins against Bilas Index teams Louisiana Tech and Boise State.

nm

primal23
02-12-2014, 09:11 AM
I agree with what was stated earlier, competing with, and beating Memphis @ Memphis for most of the game when the guards struggle big time is a good sign. This team doesn't quit.

BurgessEraZag
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Jay Bilas' article is primarily debunking the theory that there is parity in college basketball. He's probably absolutely correct. Early this year posters on this Board crowed about how strong the WCC was with everyone getting better. As we start the last two weeks of the season we see there isn't as much parity and strength as we imagined earlier.
Gonzaga has shown they are the cream of the crop. 35 minutes at Memphis shows how tough we can be. I'd be very surprised if we don't beat BYU and St. Mary's on the road, baring injuries or other unforeseen troubles. Sam and Shem are too tough underneath and the guards will come through. Watching BYU and St. Mary's last week on TV they looked like poor excuses of Div 1 teams. Dangerous but not in GU's league.
Zags do need to bring their A game but they'll win out for the conference title. TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.

GrizZAG
02-12-2014, 12:51 PM
While Bilas is pretty much spot on in the wire up, I found him very annoying calling the game. He hasn't given Zags their due. In past years either IMHO.

Arneson
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
While Bilas is pretty much spot on in the wire up, I found him very annoying calling the game. He hasn't given Zags their due. In past years either IMHO.

Bilas was defending Gonzaga quite a bit pre-game, especially from Digger. He said something about how Gonzaga got unlucky last year in the tourney facing Wichita State and losing their best defender to a broken ankle.
I feel he calls it how it is, and doesn't give the Zags more credit than their due nor does he give them less.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Jay Bilas' article is primarily debunking the theory that there is parity in college basketball. He's probably absolutely correct. Early this year posters on this Board crowed about how strong the WCC was with everyone getting better. As we start the last two weeks of the season we see there isn't as much parity and strength as we imagined earlier.
Gonzaga has shown they are the cream of the crop. 35 minutes at Memphis shows how tough we can be. I'd be very surprised if we don't beat BYU and St. Mary's on the road, baring injuries or other unforeseen troubles. Sam and Shem are too tough underneath and the guards will come through. Watching BYU and St. Mary's last week on TV they looked like poor excuses of Div 1 teams. Dangerous but not in GU's league.
Zags do need to bring their A game but they'll win out for the conference title. TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.

You need to post more often.

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 01:13 PM
You need to post more often.

+1 Great post.

Oregonzagnut
02-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Bilas as well as much of the media has warmed up to Gonzaga within the past 5 yrs. All through the Dickau, Turiaf and Morrison days, most sports and ESPN talking heads or insiders ALWAYS sided with their alma-mater and their conference and or sided with the money and likely odds of winning it all.

But for me, most importantly, Bilas has actually written extensively on how ONLY the top teams should even be allowed in the Big Dance and totally ELIMINATE the automatic birth for each conference. He wants to see the BEST 64 teams period. Bilas probably never has actually hated Gonzaga and singled them out, but he hates seeing mid-majors get some remote chance of winning it all in any given season, and see teams like Gonzaga, VCU, Wichita St get their chances and start stealing recruits from the power schools.

Over the years it is clear the media has warmed up to Gonzaga almost out of necessity, but it wasn't always like this.

Off the top of my head it has been Katz who always seemed to give us some props. Bilas seemed to always rank us the lowest and even be one of the few who rarely ever predicted us into any sweet 16 prior to 2012-13.

UberZagFan
02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Bilas has actually written extensively on how ONLY the top teams should even be allowed in the Big Dance and totally ELIMINATE the automatic birth for each conference. He wants to see the BEST 64 teams period. Bilas probably never has actually hated Gonzaga and singled them out, but he hates seeing mid-majors get some remote chance of winning it all in any given season, and see teams like Gonzaga, VCU, Wichita St get their chances and start stealing recruits from the power schools.

You misinterpret his opinion, IUHO. Bilas wants the best 64 included, no matter what the conference affiliation is. It's the schools that win auto-bids that would never have a chance at an at-large that he disfavors. It's not just a high versus low major argument. The schools you list, GU, VCU, WSU, and others such as Butler, old Creighton, etc. would be included in his top 64 most years.

And with respect to his take on GU, it's been pretty fair and balance over the years--even dating back to mid-2000s.

FWIW, Uber likes the auto-bid for every conference. Makes the tourney what it is. What they should do away with is the auto-bid for the winner of big6 (does that even exist) conference tourneys because there really is nothing worse than when a team outside the bubble wins a Big6 conf tourney and ends up stealing a bid away from a deserving mid-major team that may have happen to lose in the conference final or whatever.

ZagaZags
02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I see that....NYC w a foot maybe......Here, you ask? Tell 'em, ZagaZags.....70s today....80s on weekend....

Definitely a day to wear shorts.

HillBillyZag
02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Bilas does indeed know College basketball. He also is a big knocker of the NCAA,supports more influence for big revenue generating Conferences. and believes in a stipend for scholarship athletes in revenue generating sports ie..football & basketball. I respect his hoops knowledge and enjoy many of his comments, but often disagree with him, especially in the area of "play for pay" and replacement of an admittedly inept NCAA by a Committee dominated by the SEC, ACC, Big Twelve, and PAC whatever? When power is taken from the University Academics on the NCAA Boards and passed to the Athletic Departments and Booster Committees of those Major Conferences, any hint of fairness toward the other Programs would be a thing of the past.

Ekrub
02-12-2014, 04:59 PM

You can go back into retirement from posting. I hate you.

DixieZag
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
"Essentially a landlocked iceberg"

LIZF

:roll:

Man, when you're landlocked you can't even float around and sink ships, or catch a south bound current and lather up in the heat - warm all over. None of the things that make iceberg life kind of exciting.

HOF LIZF

Oh, and Bilas has never hated the Zags. In fact, I think he's been one of our bigger syncophants over the years, almost as bad as Franschilla.

Zippyzaggy
02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
It's Doug Gottlieb who hates the Zags.

Gotdweeb seems to have some kind of reverse man crush on Gonzaga. Whenever he talks about the Zags he gets this wizzed off look. Almost like hey, I hate the Zags, I like being defiant and dissing them because I am an arsehole.

That's the way I see it anyhow. I think "he needs a good talking too, perhaps a bit more." (The Shining)

Zags11
02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Warm in spokane. Warm to crash some waves.

cbbfanatic
02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
It's Doug Gottlieb who hates the Zags.

Gotdweeb seems to have some kind of reverse man crush on Gonzaga. Whenever he talks about the Zags he gets this wizzed off look. Almost like hey, I hate the Zags, I like being defiant and dissing them because I am an arsehole.

That's the way I see it anyhow. I think "he needs a good talking too, perhaps a bit more." (The Shining)

gottlieb seems to dog on a lot of the catholic schools. perhaps some bad experience in his time at ND?

ZagMan in Philly
02-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Up another spot on the Bilastrator.

23. Gonzaga Bulldogs (Previous ranking: 24)

The Bilastrator would still like to see Gonzaga fully healthy. With Kevin Pangos playing hurt much of the season, the Bilastrator hasn't seen the real Gonzaga since Maui. Gonzaga averages 117.2 points per 100 possessions, best in the WCC and tied for eighth in the nation.

47. Brigham Young Cougars (Previous ranking: 52)

BYU has won five of six and is among the better offensive teams in the country, but defense is an issue, as they are not among the top 100 defensive teams in the country. Will the committee want teams that can actually score in the field? BYU has beaten Stanford, Texas and Saint Mary's to bolster any argument.