PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pepperdine...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of talking about the Memphis game. At least for me, and I hope some others out there, that it's time to get back to what's most important right now. And that's winning our next two games at home, one at a time, in pursuit of another conference championship. At this point in the season the Zags can not afford another loss, and especially at home. These are the Zags' last two games at home, and I hope every student at GU that is in the Kennel Club gets out to that game, and brings the heat in the form of craziness, like we've never seen before. These are CRUCIAL games. The Zags are somewhat wounded, imo, and can really use some HOME COOKIN.

Gonzaga 75
Pepperdine 58

I think Pepperdine has a very good young team, who is a year or two away from being very competitive for the conference title. They have not been good on the road, which is so common for young teams. They've been really good at home, accept for their game with GU. Gonzaga brought a lot of energy, and tough defense to that game, and I hope they do the same Thursday. I really hope that the Zags get their offense in high gear Thursday. It has really been sputtering, and I am mostly thinking about our guards. The coaching staff has had time to address the lack of confidence displayed by some of our shooters. It's about time for these guards to step up and perform to the best of their abilities. Quite honestly, if the Zags are truly a top 20-25 team, they MUST begin to shoot with accuracy from the outside. Top 25 teams do that, imo. It's time to forget about making excuses for these guys. It's time for them to step up and do it.

I feel the same about the rebounding. Our rebounding effort against Memphis was the worst of the year by far, and Memphis was really not even that big. I hope the coaching staff has addressed this concern. If the Zags had rebounded as they should be able to do, they would have had a very nice victory in Memphis. I believe if these two things, outside shooting and rebounding, can be improved in the next month the Zags will be ready for March Madness. So let's see. Let's see if our shooters can find their target again this week, and hit bullseyes.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
02-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Is it Thursday yet?

bartruff1
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I think the rest of the season will be all about defense.... if you want to play, you had better play defense....defense travels like it did to Memphis... the next two games will be all about preparing for the end of the regular season road trips and the WCC Tourney...... I see a possible sweep...

Zags11
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Zags 81
waving goodbye 64

bell 17

ZagaZags
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Magic 8-Ball says we win big.

75Zag
02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Have you ever stepped on ants while crossing your driveway? Pepperdine is the ant and GU is the boot. Unless GU gets beat, in which case GU is the ant and the NCAA will be the boot.

Go Bulldogs!

Zags11
02-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Magic 8-Ball says we win big.

U stole my magic 8ball.??? Lol

gonzagafan62
02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
I am kind of nervous about this one.

Zags 68
Waves 62

Reborn
02-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Word has been leaking out that the toe is getting better and that Kevin Pangos is getting back to his routine of shooting. I would love to see him begin to experience the freedom that has made him one of the best guards in America. Speaking of shooting guards, what has happened to Gary Bell? He just doesn't seem to be the Gary Bell I knew when he was a Freshman? I'm wondering if his hand is hurt again? Why else would someone with his talent refuse to shoot when he's open? Kyle Dranginis scored 0 points against Memphis, and seemed to retreat into playing passively on offense like he used to do. He needs to be aggressive on offense and make some baskets. After all, the purpose of this game is to make baskets, and we all know he has the talent.

Pepperdine didn't have the bigs to guard PK and Dower. I look for these two guys to have big games again tomorrow night. Pepperdine's talented senior center, Brendan Lane, spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble. That could happen again tomorrow night. He really isn't a match for guarding Karnowski. Pepperdine has very good shooters and the Zags MUST defend the 3 pt line, and NOT let Pepperdine get hot.

The Zags are playing their last two games at home this week. I expect K2 to be rowdy and exciting. It's kind of hard to believe that the Zags are heading down the backstretch now, heading for home. After this weekend there will be only two weeks left. The season has been going by so fast, and it's certainly been an exciting year so far, and full of surprises and challenges. Let's get these last two games at home, Zags.

Go Zags!!!

wnczagfan
02-12-2014, 07:57 AM
My Pepperdine Prediction Story:

Pepperdine player, Jett, rains threes from all the over the court, prompting a comment from Mark Few "When it Raines, it pours."

Few assigns Gary Bell, Jr, his top defender, to Jett to put a stop to it. Gary whispers in Jett's ear "Your fly is open." Although Jett knows that his uni does not have a fly, he nevertheless cannot resist the temptation to keep "checking to see", thus disrupting Jett's concentration and putting an end to Pepperdine's run.

Later when Gary whispers in Jeremy Major's ear that his shoe is untied, Jeremy says "I am not going to fall for that!" Ironically, he does in fact fall, in what is described by announcers as a "Major face plant" because his shoe really is untied.
The Zags go in for the uncontested dunk by Dunk Master Gerard "Some Guy" Coleman.

After drawing a foul, Kyle Dranginis goes to the free throw line. In a total breakdown of decorum, Pepperdine's mascot rushes out of the tunnel and appears behind the basket. The Wave's mascot, Spongebob Squarepant's creepy older brother, Spongeblue Squarepants, "waves" with both hands maniacally in an attempt to distract Kyle. Kyle, having one of those moments where you are not sure if someone is waving at you or not, kind of gives a half wave while turning his head around to see if there might be someone else the mascot is waving at.

Needless to say, the distraction of the waving mascot, combined with the everpresent distraction of the cheerleaders, is enough to cause Kyle to miss both shots.

(Later, after the game, when asked about the mascot distraction Kyle will say "I don't know; that guy just gave me the Willies.")

At the end of the game, with a decisive lead in hand, Mark Few decides to substitute in the five GU Boards posters who have been critical of his substitution patterns, saying things like "Show us what you got" and "Put up or shut up."

Surprisingly, the posters are not half bad, and Tommy Lloyd goes to work recruiting them for his evening rec league.

Present at the game was John Stockton who, thanks to sportscasters, is best known for his role as father of starting Gonzaga point guard David Stockton, who apparently, according to Digger Phelps, is the only starting point guard who comes off the bench.

Zags 89

Waves. 70

P.S. After the game, Mark Few requests a medical red shirt year for Kevin Pangos for the past year, telling the NCAA that while Kevin has played the past year, due to his turf toe, he hasn't REALLY played this past year.

Baseline
02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Peperdine is a good team getting better. They still don't have enough to take down GU at home.
GU being at home will shoot better. Barham sees a lot of minutes.

GU 71
Peperdine 65

Zagnailler
02-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Zags bounce back after a disappointing walk down Beale Street and ride the waves to victory. Go zags.

MTZag03
02-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm starting to really enjoy wnczagfans predictions...almost as much as 'i had a dream about the game last night.'

I predict a non competitive game. If rumors are true that KP is feeling better, this looks to me like an opportunity to assert ourselves. Zags 94-70, and we see Connor Griffin on the floor for >3 minutes.

BurgessEraZag
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Great post. Refreshing to love the Zags but not take life and basketball so serious. The sun will rise tomorrow and the Zags will continue to protect Few's record.

Pepperdine player, Jett, rains threes from all the over the court, prompting a comment from Mark Few "When it Raines, it pours."

Few assigns Gary Bell, Jr, his top defender, to Jett to put a stop to it. Gary whispers in Jett's ear "Your fly is open." Although Jett knows that his uni does not have a fly, he nevertheless cannot resist the temptation to keep "checking to see", thus disrupting Jett's concentration and putting an end to Pepperdine's run.

Later when Gary whispers in Jeremy Major's ear that his shoe is untied, Jeremy says "I am not going to fall for that!" Ironically, he does in fact fall, in what is described by announcers as a "Major face plant" because his shoe really is untied.
The Zags go in for the uncontested dunk by Dunk Master Gerard "Some Guy" Coleman.

After drawing a foul, Kyle Dranginis goes to the free throw line. In a total breakdown of decorum, Pepperdine's mascot rushes out of the tunnel and appears behind the basket. The Wave's mascot, Spongebob Squarepant's creepy older brother, Spongeblue Squarepants, "waves" with both hands maniacally in an attempt to distract Kyle. Kyle, having one of those moments where you are not sure if someone is waving at you or not, kind of gives a half wave while turning his head around to see if there might be someone else the mascot is waving at.

Needless to say, the distraction of the waving mascot, combined with the everpresent distraction of the cheerleaders, is enough to cause Kyle to miss both shots.

(Later, after the game, when asked about the mascot distraction Kyle will say "I don't know; that guy just gave me the Willies.")

At the end of the game, with a decisive lead in hand, Mark Few decides to substitute in the five GU Boards posters who have been critical of his substitution patterns, saying things like "Show us what you got" and "Put up or shut up."

Surprisingly, the posters are not half bad, and Tommy Lloyd goes to work recruiting them for his evening rec league.

Present at the game was John Stockton who, thanks to sportscasters, is best known for his role as father of starting Gonzaga point guard David Stockton, who apparently, according to Digger Phelps, is the only starting point guard who comes off the bench.

Zags 89

Waves. 70

P.S. After the game, Mark Few requests a medical red shirt year for Kevin Pangos for the past year, telling the NCAA that while Kevin has played the past year, due to his turf toe, he hasn't REALLY played this past year.

Arneson
02-12-2014, 12:06 PM
I predict Coleman to make 10 points off the bench and then be given a timeout the remainder of the second half for doing something "wrong"

What I hope for: The Zags to start playing angry.
Not Marcus Smart or Woodson type of angry, but Wichita State type of angry.

When Karnowski goes for a two handed dunk nothing short of a sledge hammer should knock that ball out.

Reborn
02-12-2014, 12:10 PM
I predict Coleman to make 10 points off the bench and then be given a timeout the remainder of the second half for doing something "wrong"

What I hope for: The Zags to start playing angry.
Not Marcus Smart or Woodson type of angry, but Wichita State type of angry.

When Karnowski goes for a two handed dunk nothing short of a sledge hammer that would knock that ball out of his hands.

I feel differently. I really don't like the mantry, "Play Angry!" It works for WSU it seems. I'm just not into that kind of mentality. Anger is feeling that needs to be controlled, imo. I can see someone getting angry, but to play angry the whole game seems overboard to me. Play tough. Or play physical is my preference. But I like "Play Smart" the best.

Zagceo
02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
I feel differently. I really don't like the mantry, "Play Angry!" It works for WSU it seems. I'm just not into that kind of mentality. Anger is feeling that needs to be controlled, imo. I can see someone getting angry, but to play angry the whole game seems overboard to me. Play tough. Or play physical is my preference. But I like "Play Smart" the best.

I seem to remember a player named Casey Calvary that flushed one on Kenyon Martin and took stitches below his eye for that dunk.

His nickname by the coaches was "Ogre".

He played angry and tough and under control.

I'd love to see team full of "Ogres"!

cjm720
02-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Zags 89

Waves. 70

Awesome!!!! Keep these coming!

As for the game,

Zags 82
Waves 59

SWZag
02-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Word has been leaking out that the toe is getting better and that Kevin Pangos is getting back to his routine of shooting. I would love to see him begin to experience the freedom that has made him one of the best guards in America. Speaking of shooting guards, what has happened to Gary Bell? He just doesn't seem to be the Gary Bell I knew when he was a Freshman? I'm wondering if his hand is hurt again? Why else would someone with his talent refuse to shoot when he's open? Kyle Dranginis scored 0 points against Memphis, and seemed to retreat into playing passively on offense like he used to do. He needs to be aggressive on offense and make some baskets. After all, the purpose of this game is to make baskets, and we all know he has the talent.

Pepperdine didn't have the bigs to guard PK and Dower. I look for these two guys to have big games again tomorrow night. Pepperdine's talent senior center, Brendan Lane, spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble. That could happen again tonight. He really isn't a match for guarding Karnowski. Pepperdine has very good shooters and the Zags MUST defend the 3 pt line, and NOT let Pepperdine get hot.

The Zags are playing their last two games at home this week. I expect K2 to be rowdy and exciting. It's kind of hard to believe that the Zags are heading down the backstretch now, heading for home. After this weekend there will be only two weeks left. The season has been going by so fast, and it's certainly been an exciting year so far, and full of surprises and challenges. Let's get these last two games at home, Zags.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn, if that is indeed true, then I'm really hoping we can get a lead in the first half and keep Kevin to minimal minutes and let him get extra rest.

SWZag

wnczagfan
02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
MTZag03, BuregessEraZag, and cjm720:

Thanks! I am glad someone is reading them. I enjoy writing them. Although, I probably spend WAY to much time on them. haha

By the way, Reborn, I wait with anticipation for you to post the prediction thread each game!

Reborn
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
MTZag03, BuregessEraZag, and cjm720:

Thanks! I am glad someone is reading them. I enjoy writing them. Although, I probably spend WAY to much time on them. haha

By the way, Reborn, I wait with anticipation for you to post the prediction thread each game!

Thanks. And thanks for helping to make it interesting and fun. Love your imagination.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
02-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Bulldogs 81
Waves 67

DixieZag
02-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I was really impressed with Pepp's big man - he caused all kinds of probs for SMC.

But, they're playing us after a big, disappointing loss on our last home weekend. I see a blowout, but not the 30pt kind of last year. Just cruz to a 16 pt victory

Gary's 3 pt shot re-appears, 3-5 from 3

Reborn
02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
If Gonzaga wins both games this week they will be undefeated at home this year. I'd say that's pretty cool. I hope they are getting ready for the big one tomorrow. They MUST be ready. Pepperdine is. I'm looking forward to a really good game from GU tomorrow.

Hokis
02-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Back to manhandling weaker competition

Likely to be a blow out

Zags 84 - Waves 56

RenoZag
02-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Bulldogs 81
Waves 67

Missed it. . .dang it

Reborn
02-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Missed it. . .dang it

Pretty darn close though. Good job.

Zags11
02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Zags 81
waving goodbye 64

bell 17

Im close

zag67
02-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Congrats Zags11. Should have been closer if they had counted Stocks 3.

Reborn
02-14-2014, 06:59 AM
I predicted a 17 pt victory. If Stockton's basket had counted I would have only missed it by a point. I felt the score would be a little lower, but I was happy to see a higher scoring game. I like to watch the basketball going through the hoop. By both teams. I like a game in the high 70's and 80's. At the beginning of the year I thought that due to the rule changes that the scores would be higher. Which they were at the beginning of the year. But as the year has gone by the refs, most of the time, have returned to a style of play where they allow a lot of contact, and thus, lower scores.