PDA

View Full Version : More on Pangos' injury

VinnyZag
02-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Meehan wrote mor about Pangos's various injuries here (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/feb/11/hobbled-pangos-voices-frustration/).

Excerpt:

“The most frustrating part is I do whatever I can to try to prevent this stuff, and when it happens I’m not happy about it,” Pangos said. “It also prevents me from getting in the gym. Having to rest is like torture to me. I haven’t felt in the same rhythm.”

I thought Bilas made some good points during Saturday's broadcast about how the injury is disrupting his ability to practice. I believe this explains his recent shooting struggles.

SWZag
02-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I too think Pangos injury is a cause for his shooting struggles and his playing in general. They also said on the broadcast that he's extremely limited in any of his movements. Can't cut, can't stop and turn quickly, etc.

Injuries are not easy and this team has had it's share of them for 3 of their most experienced players. For an athlete who lives to do their sport, injuries are painful physically and mentally. Hope Kevin makes it thru the rest of the season without more issues and can heal completely in the "off-season." Gary is pretty fresh back from a broken hand and not too far removed from a foot injury. Sam is coming off a back injury also.

Injuries have a funny way of messing with your mind also. It takes a while to get back to 100% physically, but often it takes a lot longer to be comfortable mentally.

jazzdelmar
02-11-2014, 09:04 AM
KP should sit. Period. It's brave but counterproductive that he pushes on this way. I am more than comfortable with DS at the point and with KD as his running mate at the two. As I said in another thread, DS is actually better w/o an injured KP and is more of a classic p.g. True he costs at the offensive end but playing both him and KP adds up to a double zero at this stage.

CDC84
02-11-2014, 09:06 AM
The other issue with the injuries that Pangos has alluded to in a different interview is that there is an almost unconscious, automatic response to want to do things of the basketball floor to protect the injury sites. I think Kevin has been hesitant to make certain offensive or defensive plays out of fear that someone might step on that damaged toe and put him out the rest of the season.

The whole situation just sucks. Especially for a kid who works as hard as he does and who hates losing.

Vanzagger
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM
KP should sit. Period. It's brave but counterproductive that he pushes on this way. I am more than comfortable with DS at the point and with KD as his running mate at the two. As I said in another thread, DS is actually better w/o an injured KP and is more of a classic p.g. True he costs at the offensive end but playing both him and KP adds up to a double zero at this stage.

I agree

What the hell am I missing. We have 3 other pgs. Is Few so stubborn that he's determined to show his doubters he can make a run using three 6 ft's at the same time?

Just pick 1 or 2 and surround them with all our long, talented, athletic guys.

BobZag
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I didn't think Turf Toe could heal w/o complete rest, ala a boot. Kevin is one tough kid to be enduring toe and ankle issues. I guess we'll all see how things turn out for him and the team in a week or two. Best to him.

bartruff1
02-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Few is a evil genius that will stop at nothing to achieve failure....

gamagin
02-11-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree with those who say do what's best for him to heal both injuries asap. whatever it is.

I had an amazingly painful rolled ankle problem one whole football season. Every sat after friday night's game I could barely put that foot down on my carpet without extreme sensitivity & shooting pain. By the end of day one I could walk with a limp, By Mon-tues, I could walk and by Friday, I played and basically forgot about it in the heat of the battles and was reminded all over again come Sat. morn.

I was taped at all times. it helped tremendously. But the major issue, a weak ankle, never has gone away. through many years of competitive handball & racquetball before shoulder injuries on both sides ended it all. I took up running, too and ran the first 25 Bloomsdays, then switched to walking. Been walking every day since.

But no matter what poison I chose, i could and did roll that ankle hundreds of times since. From experience, I don't think a rolled ankle injury ever does go away. the toe is another matter. I have no experience nor knowledge there.

As you all know, Few says the toe seems better but it's the ankle that was hobbling KP. MF is not known for making stuff up. KP shoots with and from his feet. His execution always involves setting the feet and then he kind of springs up, from the ankles, and delivers the ball with essentially the same motion every time.

GIven that and watching him, I believe the recurring ankle issue IS worse than the toe issue.

And, since it is apparently better, that is why he can now get back in the gym. Whether he should or not, I don't know. I have to think he has a large number of consultants and experts on the dangers, if any, to continuing.

I don't think he is just deciding to go ahead because he's tough enough. I think he's tough enough to go ahead because he knows his limitations (& what he needs to do to shoot effectively), & exactly what he needs to do to get his shot back. As long as the ankle cooperates.

I'm guessing his advisors are in agreement the only way to test this is by going back to the gym & shooting and prepping the way he always prepares. We'll just have to stay tuned.

WBM
02-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the link, OP.

ZagSports
02-11-2014, 10:39 AM
He is healthy enough to play, he needs to play. He is being medically cleared, which would lead you to believe the injury is getting no worse. He spreads the floor, requires defensive attention, and is one of the focal points for opposing teams to scout. The topic of resting him had more relevance when injury occurred, not now. I personally believe as someone mentioned above he is too mental with his game right now/I feel like he is over thinking shots he would normally take and not shooting them. Let the rock fly young man

bartruff1
02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Pargo....Off thread so I will make it short... I believe there are much better values available ....better education for less money....and I am not a Catholic and neither are any of my family.

jim77
02-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Agreed.

Its time to play with a bigger lineup also. We are much better playing big ball...the Memphis game convinced me of that. Its time for Nunez to start logging minutes at the 3....and Drew also. We have Edwards and Miekle for backups...who I have confidence in....and DS feeds the post like nobody else on the roster. We have Gary at the 2 and Kyle D also who both are soiid...no worries with Gary as the kid can get it done. I'd love a healthy KP but, you can't expect 100% out of an injured kid...let him heal. Letting him flounder does nothing for his injury or confidence. We have a team that can still go deep.

BobZag
02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
It's going to be verrrrry interesting to see if Pangos really heals up. It goes against the odds, imo, but if he's 100% in a week or two, it'll be nothing short of raising Lazarus from the dead. :o

zag buddy
02-11-2014, 02:09 PM
wheather he is healthy or not his shooting percentages have earned him a spot on the bench for awhile.

maynard g krebs
02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I agree

What the hell am I missing. We have 3 other pgs. Is Few so stubborn that he's determined to show his doubters he can make a run using three 6 ft's at the same time?

Just pick 1 or 2 and surround them with all our long, talented, athletic guys.

I remember when you said you'd give it a rest if Russell Wilson won a super bowl. I never understood what that had to do with anything, but it sure would be nice if you'd keep your word.

The NCAA is full of mediocre teams with "long, talented, athletic" guys. As Huggins said, GU does well because they seek out guys who know how to play basketball.

Don't you think it's a bit of a delusion of grandeur to imagine Few is trying to prove something to people like you?

The thread is about KP and his health and the value of playing him as is. Not your ongoing rant.

DixieZag
02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Pangos' toe ain't gonna heal this season. So resting him seems pointless. Unless someone can prove to me that they are better without him, I don't see how it makes sense to sit him. Just the threat of him on the perimeter helps everybody else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems to be the consensus - but if it is the ankle that is really bothering him, and if that really could get better over two weeks, this would be the one last opportunity to realistically get away with resting him.

Say that the Toe isn't likely to do much but a week and a half off the ankle might at least help with that problem. I would think home games against Pepp and LMU could likely be done with the other line ups - - but what can't be done is that 4 games stretch without kevin.

Reborn
02-11-2014, 06:09 PM
That seems to be the consensus - but if it is the ankle that is really bothering him, and if that really could get better over two weeks, this would be the one last opportunity to realistically get away with resting him.

Say that the Toe isn't likely to do much but a week and a half off the ankle might at least help with that problem. I would think home games against Pepp and LMU could likely be done with the other line ups - - but what can't be done is that 4 games stretch without kevin.

It seems like Few said in an interview that the toe was doing pretty good, and that the problem against Memphis was Pangos' ankle. Pangos said that he was looking forward to getting back in the gym so he could start shooting again. He does not need the rest for his toe that he has needed in the past. Pangos was also complaining about being out of shape from not practicing. I think we are going to see a healthier Pangos in the weeks ahead.

Oregonzagnut
02-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Kevin, remind yourself and ask Few about this guy: Blake Stepp.

Take heed, it ended his NBA career by playing on injuries perpetually.

Ezag
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
It is selfish to let Kevin to play injured and continue to do so. It is not fair to Kevin or the Team. This one is on the coach. Let the man rest before the WCC ends.

Reborn
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Kevin doesn't want to take off. He wants to practice more. He DOESN'T need rest. He needs to get in the gym and shoot, and shoot and shoot. Like he is used to doing. He's out of shape (his words not mine), and needs to practice more and not rest.......Just the way it is.

Mantua
02-12-2014, 01:02 AM
How many dinosaurs were killed or maimed during the making of Jurassic Park?

TexasZagFan
02-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Kevin, remind yourself and ask Few about this guy: Blake Stepp.

Take heed, it ended his NBA career by playing on injuries perpetually.

Kevin's destined for Europe, not the NBA. He'll have a great career there, in the mold of Derek Raivio.